Sony VAIO® | Flip PC gets the teardown treatment, now available for pre-order

by Kathleen 10/14/2013

Big news on the VAIO front today! The VAIO | Flip PC is now available for pre-order. To celebrate, we open it up and check out the insides. Hit the play button for major eye candy.

We know what you guys are going to ask next, and we’re prepared!

“Great. You took it apart, but can you reassemble it?” The answer to that question lies in the video below ;)

Like what you see? You can pre-order the VAIO| Flip today.

1. Marty Gabriella wrote: October 18, 2013 10:57am

When will the VAIO Flip be available in your Massachusetts store?

2. Stephen H. wrote: October 18, 2013 3:18pm

Wow. I really like the NEW Sony. Gone are the days of prooprietary hardware and sealed systems. I bought a Duo 13 3 months ago and will buy the 15″ Flip with the higher resolution display. I wish it came with 3200X1800 but I’m glad it is better than 1080P.

Knowing I cane replace the battery and hard drive is a really big deal and will be one of the reasons I buy the Flip 15. Thank you Sony for designing the Flip with access to the hardware in mind!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 2:41pm

Stephen, thank you so much for your comment! Glad you’re enjoying our gear.

3. Diandre wrote: November 6, 2013 4:22pm

That fliptop looks great!

4. Adam wrote: November 19, 2013 4:11pm

Although the new Flip looks great, I’ve read in the reviews that the fan is loud and runs on. Will there be fix to the potential fan noise issue down the road?

5. jason wrote: December 9, 2013 11:17pm

Can the battery in the 13 be replaced?

Would love to see a teardown of the 13.

6. Connor wrote: January 10, 2014 9:03pm

I have the Sony Vaio Flip 14, and love it! The only thing that really bums me out is the HDD. Is it easily user replaceable? Because i would have a SSD in there in no time. The screen is the real upgrade. None of the “Upgrade to the 15″ for 1080p” anymore. You guys went all out! And another note. The fan is not a problem! At least for mine. I can have many Word, Access, and PP docs open and it does not even turn on the fan. But that is on a desk. It does get hot when you are using it on your lap or a bed.

7. Shawn wrote: January 11, 2014 10:54pm

will there be a teardown of the 13A Model? thatblooks like a more interesting model to be tablet.

by the way can the rubber strip be replaceable after disassembly?

8. Mark wrote: February 26, 2014 6:38pm

It’s really too bad this is the end of the Vaio line. I bought the flip as my fifth Sony laptop, with my last being the i7 duo 11 and a Tap 21. The flip 15a is simply the best ultrabook out now, and continues the tradition of great sony computers.