Sony adds voice search and more to Google TV™

by Ray Hartjen 06/07/2013

Today, Sony is announcing its latest Google TV™ offering with the NSZ-GS8 Internet Player with Google TV™. This uber-cool gizmo plugs easily into your TV – any TV with an HDMI® connection – and allows you to search live TV, the internet and apps. Oh, and you can do it old-school by typing or new-school with voice search – your choice! Good things come in “three’s,” and here are my favorite three features of the new Internet Player:

Google Chrome Browser

You get a full-browsing experience on your TV with Google Chrome™ – the real deal. And, like I wrote above, you can do it all with voice control. Just say “ABC” into the Sony remote and you’re quickly browsing results. It’s as easy as, uh, well, A-B-C.

NSG-MR7_B_ Both Sides

Customizable

You can customize your Internet Player with Google TV with thousands of apps. My wife, Lori, loves the cooking apps. Let me clarify that, she likes the restaurant review apps, as her specialty for dinner is “reservations.” On the other hand, I dig the sports apps. Google TV is made for me to reign supreme in my fantasy leagues.

Super easy sharing

Sharing content from your mobile device is super easy with the new Internet Player with Google TV. Sharing photos and videos1 is seamless with no fuss, no muss, and no cords. And, what’s that you say, you have an iPhone or iPad rather than an Android™ device? Please. No worries, just download the Airtight app and you’re sharing with the rest of us.

NSZ-GS8_B_UCL_ST

You might wonder, why should I go with the Sony Google TV player instead of any of the so-called “smart TVs” out there? Don’t fool yourself – your smart TV probably isn’t as smart as you think. Sure, it’s smarter than the TVs of yesteryear, like that’s saying much, and they’ll connect Netflix®, YouTube®, Amazon and others through apps. But, c’mon, that’s like kindergarten smart. Have you ever leaned back on the sofa and tried to really hit the web and go surfing? Save yourself the trouble, as it’s nearly impossible, and far from user friendly as you have to type out the entire – and exact – URL. Not smart!

Google TV’s Google Chrome browser lets you search the internet. Not a few select sites; the internet. Plus, it’s full on search. Forget lengthy and exact URLs, just start typing in the search window – or try voice search! – and watch the glory of autofill bring you results. Now we’re talking smart.

With the power of Google Chrome behind every search, your TV experience will never be the same. Google TV – now, that’s smart! I’m not talking kindergarten smarts here, but rather full on Ph.D. from an Ivy League institution smart. Not that I know what that kind of smart is; I’m sort of assuming that’s really, really, really smart.

So, there you have it. The new Sony Internet Player with Google TV (NSZ-GS8) will be in Sony stores and other electronics retailers in early July, selling for $199. Visit the store or the product web page and see for yourself how to take your TV from kindergarten to the Ivy League with a simple plug and play.

Footnotes

1. Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD). Content subject to change and may require fees. Wireless connectivity requires an 802.11 home network (802.11n recommended).

1. Abrar Ahmed wrote: June 9, 2013 7:00am

I wanted to ask if this is available in Pakistan . If yes so what are the charges ?

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 10:38am

Hi there, your local support team should be able to answer that question! http://www.sony-mea.com/section/support Thanks for your question.

2. gerald morris wrote: June 9, 2013 7:14am

i have the old one it look better thin the old an how much is it

3. Julio wrote: June 9, 2013 7:21am

Wauhh It really sounds fantastic!
    But when It will be available out of US?

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 10:14am

Hi there! We don’t have an exact date yet but stay tuned for updates in July. Thanks for reading.

4. Ryderz wrote: June 9, 2013 7:22am

This is really good for non smart tv, you guys think out of the box and brought this. I am gonna buy this for my Sony TV.

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 10:09am

Thanks for the support!

5. soheil wrote: June 9, 2013 8:13am

pls give me free because no money , for test

6. Renato Garcia wrote: June 9, 2013 8:16am

Quando estará disponível no Brasil

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 10:13am

Hi Renato, your best bet at finding out is to reach out to your local support team. http://esupport.sony.com/br/ Hope this helps!

7. Canned Heat wrote: June 9, 2013 8:46am

I hope that Sony can give more support to THIS device than they have for others. The Sony Dash has virtually zero support after only about 3 years on the market. Heaven help you if you have a PS3 with a YLOD problem and you are out of warranty. Sony has great ideas and products ideas–but leaves A WHOLE LOT to be desired in terms of product support.

8. overtimeman wrote: June 9, 2013 8:49am

WOO HOO! GTV can only get better from here! Can’t wait to see the specs on this baby!

9. Marvin Ferrell wrote: June 9, 2013 9:15am

High my name is Marvin Ferrell self descripbed Google TV evangelist and Tech journalist from Rootzwiki.com, Androrev.com and GTVfriends.com. Back when Google TV was new I purchased a NSX32GT1 Tv with Google TV from you guys for around 650 dollars. Now it’s basically obsolete hasnt seen an update in like a year. Has difficulty with the newer app updates because you guys have abandoned it. My question is why should i make a purchase such as the one above. Is that the idea? Every other year you get more of my money and then abandon the product? Set top boxes are a great idea but my Sony is an actual TV. I am NOT going to hook a set top box to it. It already has Google TV so how much sense does that make. Are you guys going to abandon my 600 dollar paper weight of a tv with it’s beautiful lcd display? And if so why should I buy a set top box you will likely abandon in a year?

yours truly
    gplus.to/Marvin Ferrell

10. xaueious wrote: June 9, 2013 9:39am

Does this ship with the new Google TV platform for Android 4.2.2?

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 3:43pm

Hi there!Thanks for your question. We plan to update the Google TV platform to Android 4.2. We’ll keep you posted on timing.

11. CJ wrote: June 9, 2013 3:38pm

Nice work SONY! Will these features be available on legacy models of your internet players as well? Can’t wait!

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 3:44pm

Hey CJ! We’ll be updating the NSZ-GS7. Thanks for your question.

12. mike wrote: June 9, 2013 4:56pm

If sony puts this google software in their new PS4 i would definetely buy it over the XBOX. If not will not purchase it over the xbox

13. Chris wrote: June 9, 2013 9:14pm

I have been waiting for this since the Sony Google TV’s were discontinued. Finally!

14. roman wrote: June 9, 2013 9:39pm

dear Sony,

please, will you integrate DVB-T dual tuner into Google TV? Mostly people watch TV and mostly don’t want to plan every minute they want to watch something….. = just sit and watch without planning to relax after a hard-working day :)

1. Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 3:46pm

Hi Roman, we recommend that you connect your cable box to your Google TV player so you can enjoy both Live TV and internet service. And you can easily search for content(including Live TV ) with Google search, and play it back.
      Regarding DVB-T, we don’t have plan to add the function now. Hope this helps!

1. Durki wrote: June 22, 2013 9:49am

Hello, I have Sony TV Bravia KDL-46HX820. I am watching TV via internal DVB-C tuner. Is any solution how can I wath TV on NSZ-GS7 without external DVB-C set-top-box? Can I use internal DVB-C tuner from KDL-46HX820 to watching TV on NSZ-GS7? Any solution? THX

15. mehdi wrote: June 10, 2013 5:54am

the Sony NSZ-GS7 is based on Android Honeycomb (version 3.2). I think if sony wants to continue with google tv devices sony has to update with the last version of google tv annonced in google I/O 2013.
    for more look this cnet’s article

16. Ruben wrote: June 10, 2013 11:11am

Nice to hear. But where’s the update to Android 4.2.2?
    Release this update and I’ll buy one immediately!

17. dontsmoke wrote: June 15, 2013 1:15pm

what happened to NSZ-GP9? INtegration of bluray would be argument for me to buy it.

18. Ramesh Persaud wrote: June 15, 2013 2:32pm

This is good news but the GS7 which I just purchased is not allowing me to browse the internet.

19. vctor wrote: June 15, 2013 7:03pm

i have de old NSZ work fast and very nice pictures but. Why don’t have a good aplications for this device?????

20. batman wrote: June 18, 2013 9:29pm

Meh how does this differ from a pc connected to tele

21. batman wrote: June 18, 2013 9:31pm

Oh and pc converts all tv to true 3d

22. gavin wrote: June 20, 2013 9:13am

i live in UK and the search feature is not searching netflix or live tv. its set up correctly. is this because i live in uk. if not then how do i fix this. also how can i tell if i have GTV V3 running on my sony box

23. Suparag wrote: June 20, 2013 5:28pm

Is there support for webcam and Google Hangout or Skype?

24. Jonathan wrote: June 23, 2013 11:52pm

Please update this to Android 4.2 soon… Google said at I/O updates should now take weeks rather than months. The honeycomb build is so slow and buggy. You should make this happen and beat LG to it ;-)

25. Jayson jones wrote: June 25, 2013 9:34pm

I have both a Sony google tv and a blue ray google tv player I hope google doesn’t forget about there older model tvs as far as updates. There is still a lot of future with the google tv which hasn’t even been tapped into yet.

26. Pita wrote: July 14, 2013 1:51pm

When is Sony’s Google TV NSZ-GS8 going to be released? It’s mid July and I’ve seen nothing as of yet?

27. Joanne Lawrence wrote: July 15, 2013 12:20pm

I have the latest Sony Internet TV with Google TV. I also have a slingbox in my house. My husband and I use a travel trailer and TV in these RV parks is horrible and I want to watch my slingbox. In the apps, spotlight has a slingplayer app, but I can’t ever get it to come up, so I tried to use “watch on slingbox.com, but can’t get that to work. The website says it is not compatible with Google Chrome. How am I going to watch my slingbox? This is why I got the sony internet tv. Help me please.

28. Joanne Lawrence wrote: July 16, 2013 2:51pm

I really need an answer to my question and don’t know if anyone is monitoring this page any more. Last answer to a question was Kathleen wrote: June 12, 2013 3:46pm.

If not, is there anywhere else we can go to get answers?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 16, 2013 4:21pm

Hi Joanne, I’ve sent your question along to our support team. They should be getting back to you shortly.

29. Sony Support USA wrote: July 17, 2013 7:28am

Hi Joanne, we are looking into this for you. Please stand by.

30. MrsA wrote: July 17, 2013 2:47pm

I had the old sony google tv that came with blueray annd unfortunately Had to take it back to fix at best buy now best buy is saying they can only give me the new sony google tv box but has no build in blueray seems to me that Im getting a downgrade….

31. Sony Advanced Customer Solutions wrote: July 18, 2013 10:58am

Hi Joanne, The actual Slingbox.com webpage is not optimized for google tv and will result in the “incompatible” error. Instead you may type the following link directly into the chrome browser which will take you to the Sling Player GTV Optimized page, depending on your connection It may take a few minutes for the Sling Player applet to load for the first time. Spotlight is simply a shortcut to the link below. http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/gtv/index.html

32. Mike wrote: July 26, 2013 8:33am

Any update on the next update? When is Jelly Bean coming to the the Sony Google TV’s?

33. Sony Support USA wrote: July 26, 2013 1:10pm

Hi Mike! Any updates will be announced on our Esupport site at http://goo.gl/g4k5p. -Kevin K.

34. Doc wrote: November 23, 2013 9:24am

I echo some of the comments above with respect to Sony/Google abandoning NSX TV support. I suggest not supporting vendors who abandon customers. Buy the new Xbox One instead. It’s voice activated, has facial/profile recognition, video tracking and one location integration of TV, games and internet channel:

35. Nick C wrote: November 24, 2013 11:23pm

I’m too looking forward for the Android upgrade on this. Any word on if it happen in 2013? Also, I’m surprised that such a great remote can’t control the TV code of Sony’s own new all-in-one vaio PCs with HDMI-in. It supports more than 80 Sony TV codes and yet none of these code will work for the Sony all-in-ones. Weird!
    Great work on this product. It says Sony quality all over it :-)

36. Merouan wrote: December 5, 2013 6:10am

Hi ! i need to setup an app in NSZ-GS7 ! when coming the 4.2 android update ?

37. Chris wrote: December 26, 2013 2:01am

Hi,

could you please tell us what is approximately the release date for android version 4.2.x?

Thanks