Android™ 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Xperia™ Tablet S

by Kathleen 04/23/2013

Hey U.S. Xperia™ Tablet S owners! As you probably already know, Android™ Jelly Bean is now available on your Xperia Tablet S. But you may be wondering what new features you get with the new update, right?

Well, we created a short little video to show you some of the cool new things you can do once you download Android™ Jelly Bean.

If you haven’t already downloaded it, your Xperia™ Tablet S will receive a notification on the bottom right hand corner that a System Update is available.

Instructions on how to perform the System Update can be found here.

For those outside of the United States, please note that this update varies by region.

What new feature are you most excited about?

1. Charles Loch wrote: April 24, 2013 1:16pm

What about my less than one year old sony tablet s?
    I find it unbelievabe that support appears to have stopped already!
    Apple at least offer program upgrades for years.
    Not happy.

1. antonio wrote: April 26, 2013 7:46am

I agree with charles. Sony forgets us and will do the same when a new tablet be on the market

2. Sony Support USA wrote: May 1, 2013 8:00am

Hi Charles, there are currently no plans for a Jelly Bean upgrade for the Tablet S. Keep watching the Tablet Announcement page for any and all information regarding the Jelly Bean upgrade release.
      Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

1. marcos wrote: May 29, 2013 11:11pm

I purchased my sony. Tablet s and support is over. Oh well I guess my newly purchased 70. inch led tv. Will have speak volumes. It is my first non sony tv purchase. I am replacing my sony camcorder soon and it will not be sony. As icontinue. To purchase new electronics, sony wont even be considered. I slam sony everytime discusses an electronic purchase. I will keep my sony tablet s as a reminder. But I will be purchasing a samsu galaxy tablet in the near future. I might as well be compatible with my samsung galaxy note 2 personal mobile device. One.Lost purchase at time…

2. fred wrote: June 21, 2013 8:12am

no plans for a Jelly Bean ? you f;ing joking

2. Mike wrote: April 25, 2013 11:50pm

I know Charles,, My Tablet S shows the 4.0.3 (release5a for some reason.

3. Mike wrote: April 25, 2013 11:52pm

I know Charles,, My Tablet S shows the 4.0.3 (release5a) for some reason. Why Sony? Why?

4. MrPeach wrote: April 30, 2013 1:19pm

Sony, you generate ill will by orphaning devices so quickly. We will not forget when buying time comes around again. At least give the community what we need to update it ourselves.

1. Sony Support USA wrote: May 1, 2013 8:43am

Hello MrPeach, I apologize no ill will is meant. Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded it on to the appropriate department. You can watch the Tablet Announcement page for any and all information regarding the Jelly Bean upgrade release. I appreciate the time that you’ve taken to share your feelings with Sony.
      Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

1. Kunal wrote: May 14, 2013 10:00pm

Oh yes you produce ill will. i always tell my family members to buy sony, but sorry now i wont if you have such USELESS and TERRIBLE support. You cant even give a device updates for 2 years

5. winter wrote: May 2, 2013 4:47am

This is unaccecptable considering the glitches they promised to have with ever update including jellybean would fix it. i have had to have mine repaired 3 times since i got it. and offered to pay -xtra for an upgrade to the xperia tablet s if it would fix the issues to which i was denied. because your upcoming update would offic@lly fix that once and for all. i was still under warrenty and was denied and upgrade for a small fee on that promise. my motherboard alone has been replaced three times. you provide no software to update restore or repair. i bought two of these costing a 1000.00 together before my acessories. I have always only bought sony for years but for that price i can buy different brands and even if they dont update i will be able to afford replacements and still not spend what i have for a constant headache yall choice to ignore your promises to your top spending clients. i can get that from any other manufacture. you are ruining sonys good name with faulty devices no support and empty promises.

6. Sony Support USA wrote: May 3, 2013 9:59am

Hello winter, I apologize if you’re experiencing difficulties. I appreciate that you’ve taken time to share your feelings with us. Please send us your Event ID #/s and or Work Order #/s to SonyListens@am.sony.com and I or one of my colleagues would be happy to review your case and see if there is anything that we may have overlooked and that things were handled properly. We are here to help. Best Regards, Scott Fuentes

7. Mumonkan wrote: May 3, 2013 10:42am

I have a one year old Sony tablet S and I would like an update to android Jelly Bean otherwise my next tablet won’t be a Sony tablet (as well as any kind of device branded Sony).

8. Andrei wrote: May 4, 2013 3:44pm

Because of my bad experience with some phones, since this is irreversible, i’ve delayed upgrading and just lived with the upgrade notification for the past few weeks. Anybody noticed a difference in performance or any new bugs? I am still not convinced it’s worth upgrading

9. Chris wrote: May 6, 2013 9:21am

I have a Sony Tablet S, model SGPT111US/S. Please tell me when this will receive the Jelly Bean update.

If this is not possible, then please provide instructions on how to root the system to enable us to go get other mods/variants.

Chris

1. Amanda wrote: May 7, 2013 8:13am

Hello Chris,

There are currently no plans for a Jelly Bean upgrade for the Tablet S. Keep watching the Tablet Announcement page for any and all information regarding the Jelly Bean upgrade release. Thanks!

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

1. Armin wrote: June 23, 2013 5:45am

THAT’S WHAT UV BEEN SAYING FOR MONTHS JUST SAY YES OR NO

10. Milton F wrote: May 8, 2013 8:27pm

Very nice and polite responses from the Sony team members in this chat, however they ony avoid sayig: yes everyone, Sony forgot about you, you idiots (me included) bought from us and we will not do anything to update your tablet S. oh keep watching for new products. for sure they will be as costly and obsolete”/ Way to go Sony, now you know me and pretty much every Sony tablet s owner will be buying from Apple, Samsung or other responsible party. and good work sony team. please write another nice response to this. thats all you guys can do as notting will be really done about this issue. Sony, Apple is owning you ha!

11. Kunal wrote: May 9, 2013 12:49am

This isn’t fair. My Sony Tablet S isn’t even an year old and you are already abandoned it. On top of that in India I cant even download play station games only because you have disabled it. So basically, I have not even enjoyed all the features. Now that you have read all what I have wrote, PLEASE do not leave support for your older products. If you see Samsung still has support for a phone that was that was I guess released during the time of Xperia x1.

12. Kunal wrote: May 11, 2013 1:20am

Whats this sony, in the how to perform software update page,in products,it is given available for STGP11 or STGP12 or Stgp13 which are models of Sony Tablet S

13. CD wrote: May 27, 2013 1:50am

I upgraded to Jellybean 4.1 in April. However when streaming sound and video are out of Synch. Cant download flash player to correct this, so cant view many sites in web browser. The new Adobe Air installs on my tablet but doesn’t run. Is their anything I can do to re-synch sound and video stream.

14. Ivis Chavez wrote: May 27, 2013 9:11am

What is wrong with Sony Tablet S, my browser stops working every two minutes no reason. I have the latest software update, you said that will fix the problem. I choose Sony instead ipad, never trust sony again.
    When are you upload a software to fix this issue.

15. velichaeti wrote: June 8, 2013 4:07pm

Please update Sony Tablet S to Jelly Bean.. You can abandon us after jelly bean update.

Thanks!

PS: if you dont update my few months old Sony tablet S, i will never buy Sony products again !

Thanks!

16. Brad wrote: June 8, 2013 11:22pm

Seriously disappointed Tablet S owner! We deserve an upgrade, but no worries since I just purchased a competitors tablet instead. This one will make a good toy for my toddler to destroy.

17. ryan wrote: June 17, 2013 6:22pm

I echo many other commentors, my barely a year old tablet Is no longer being updated is pathetic support from sony.

I will display my disappointment with my wallet and never purchase sony again, and will advise all my friends and family to do so as well.

18. Mark J. wrote: June 19, 2013 5:57pm

Owner of 2 Sony Tablet S devices here. I too am totally put off by Sony flat out dropping support for these devices. If anyone is considering the new Sony Tablet Z, DO NOT BUY IT! Put your money into a device that will be supported at least a year or so into the future. It’s no wonder Sony isn’t in the game any more. TVs, PlayStation and that’s pretty much it. Nobody talks about Sony phones, cameras or even home audio any more. For me, any time I speak of Sony, I’ll be sure to say DON’T BUY SONY!

19. yary wrote: June 27, 2013 12:18pm

I am so disappointed, my Sony tablet s cant even receive the jelly bean update. Sony seems to forget that i spent a lot of money for something I expected to have a great use of for quite a while and it isn’t fair my tablet isn’t even a year old. if this cant be fixed i wont purchase another Sony electronic device. FIX THE PROBLEM AND RELEASE THE UPDATE!!!!

20. JWu wrote: October 25, 2013 11:29am

I am surprised the Sony bashing stopped on June.
    I bought the device because Sony’s reputation and my past “good” experience w/ Sony, but I guess I should just stick w/ the TV. :)

21. xjreporter wrote: November 16, 2013 12:05am

So Sony,
    First early adaptors, buyers like me and many others, are stuck with the oldest androidversion? Please create a solution instead of only say feeling sorry!!
    It will be a good story to write for TechCrunch.
    Looking forward to your explain

22. Tom V wrote: November 24, 2013 7:50am

I also am a very dissatisfied Sony S owner. The device is very slow and lethargic and often locks up which is typical of the Android version it is running. I feel that I now basically have a three hundred dollar paper weight. Shame on Sony for turning their backs on the early adopters that bought this product counting on Sony to provide an upgrade that would eliminate many of these issues.
    I am actually considering buying a new tablet since this one is so frustrating to use. Can you say Samsung? It sure won’t be a Sony.

1. colin bewick wrote: December 22, 2013 10:10am

Sony don’t care; we are a very few people in a very big world. They could carry on doing this for years and our protests won’t even scratch the surface. I could have bought an Ipad and got support for life for the same price…but there you go, that’s life!