Heads up: Sony Google TV™ Player gets a software upgrade

by Ray Hartjen 02/22/2013

Are you a second screen, multiple screen type of TV viewer?

Time to fess up. I am, and since you know I have no shame, I might as well be the first to step up and admit it.

I need my smart TV!

Used to be I was smarter than my TV, or at least that’s my story and I’m going to stick to it. Even when TV became smart, I was smarter.

Until now.

The Sony Internet Player with Google TV™ (NSZ-GS7) makes most any TV the smartest of smart TVs. With me, I get all my regular TV programming from my cable provider – yea, whoopee! – but, I also get full access to the Internet with a full-on Google Chrome™ browser and the Google Play™ store chock full of apps.

Google TV Shoot 6

The coolest part? Today marks the launch of a software update for Google TV™. With the “PrimeTime” app and its new user interface, it’s now easier than ever to find the content you’re looking for. Also, the Google Play store has added Amazon Video on Demand, and the new YouTube® app allows you to easily play videos on your TV.

The second coolest part? One remote. New today is voice-activated commands with the optional Google TV remote, the Sony NSG-MR7U. Working seamlessly with the latest software update, your search is as simple as barking a few commands into your remote. Of course, Sony’s Google TV remote has always had a backlit QWERTY keyboard on one side, and a big touchpad on the other, featuring the ability to “pinch and pull” to resize web pages, just like we do with our smart phones.

Google TV Instagram 2 (7)

The third coolest part? Dudes, we’re talking one screen, one device, freeing me up for snuggle time with Lola, the family dog. With a dual view, I can have programming up in one screen – in my case, a nice comfortable 55” – and the fruits of my web search on the other, be it a Twitter feed, a web site related to the show I’m watching, or real-time results of my Fantasy hockey team.

Okay, a quick recap: Two views on one screen, full access to the Internet, all on one device with one remote, one keyboard and even the ability to do voice search. Did I miss anything, other than an app to make Adam Sandler movies funny again? [Note to self:  Call engineering and see if they can whip something up.]

If you find yourself watching TV with a mobile phone, tablet, and/or notebook computer on your lap or in your hands, check out the Sony Internet Player with Google TV. Trust ol’ Papa Ray here – it just might make your at-home entertainment experience easier, more convenient, and more fun, and isn’t that want home entertainment is supposed to be?

1. Ashish Bodhanwala wrote: February 22, 2013 10:29am

Is the update only available for the NSZ-GS7 or will the NSZ-GT1 get the update too? I know the GT1 won’t have all of the functionality, but I would really, really like to see Sony offer the update for the GT1.

2. Travis Halfman wrote: February 22, 2013 1:45pm

Will this come to Gen1 devices?

3. Chris wrote: February 22, 2013 3:05pm

When will this start rolling out to devices?
    Will this hit the first gen Sony GTV’s?
    Is this considered the Google TV v3 update?

4. twospirits wrote: February 22, 2013 11:38pm

Its good to see that an update is coming to give the GS7 version 3.0. Nice article, but it leads to more questions like when will the new remote be available? Is this update region specific? I do not see a changelog on the Sony website showing what has changed /updated with the new update. The website still shows the last update from December 2012. Hopefully it comes soon.

5. unattached wrote: February 23, 2013 5:21am

wow, this is so lame you didn’t include in mic in the original machine..

i have to buy a new remote just to enable that feature now?

1. Chris wrote: March 12, 2013 2:06pm

V3 hadn’t been announced yet, with the Voice control. Who knows.. Google may not have told Sony in time…

6. DustoMan wrote: February 23, 2013 11:07am

Where/When can we order this remote and how much is it? Any chance of getting some kind of trade-in program for the newer remote?

1. Chris wrote: March 12, 2013 2:05pm

Nope.. $49.99… Available now to order on Sony’s site.

7. anon wrote: February 24, 2013 11:25am

When will this update be available to the general public?

1. Ray wrote: February 25, 2013 8:13am

The update was pushed out on Friday – it should be on your device now!

1. Chris wrote: March 12, 2013 2:04pm

3 weeks later. Still no update.

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 14, 2013 7:26am

Hi Chris, we are looking into this.
          Thanks, Scott Fuentes
          Sony Support USA

8. mies wrote: March 12, 2013 11:11am

No updates on my Sony until today. Are you deploying by region (i’m in Chicago)? And still no confirmation we’d need to buy a new remote to use voice, how much is it, and do you have a trade-in plan for people that purchased few months ago?

1. Chris wrote: March 13, 2013 6:51pm

Remote was made official yesterday. Available on the Sony site.. No trade in program. Its $49.99. Still no update for me.

2. Sony Support USA wrote: March 14, 2013 7:29am

Hi mies, we are looking into this.
      Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

3. Adam wrote: March 15, 2013 5:17pm

I also just bought the device about a month ago. I would like to see a trade-in plan or something better than the current 50 dollar remote sold separately offer on the website.

4. Sony Support USA wrote: March 21, 2013 11:44am

Hi mies and all,

Looks like the update is estimated to be available sometime next month. The remote is now available at:

Currently no trade in or upgrade is being offered for the remote.

Thanks for your patience.
      Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

9. Chris wrote: March 12, 2013 2:07pm

Ok. Its over 3 weeks and still no update.

10. knr wrote: March 15, 2013 5:08am

Sony GTV updated this am. So far I don’t see much difference in functionality other than the enhanced “Picture in Picture”.

I have no idea what the reviewer was writing about “full-on Google Chrome™ browser and the Google Play™ store chock full of apps”. both seem unchanged from before.

BTW; my Primetime App FC’s.

k

11. Adam wrote: March 15, 2013 5:14pm

Please tell Google that we want to be able to remove categories from PrimeTime. I don’t watch “Sports” and don’t have a “Family”.

12. Tony B wrote: March 25, 2013 12:03pm

Excellent. I second Adam’s comment. Overall, Google TV has been a great experience.

13. JJ wrote: April 29, 2013 6:05pm

Will the new NSG-MR7U remote work with my NSX-40GT1 Google TV?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: May 2, 2013 7:08am

Hello JJ, yes, the new remote is supported with the currently posted firmware update.

UPDATE NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 5/02/2013 Version REL08_NSZGS7_U2_2106_131390_20130406_URSC_S67254

Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

1. JJ wrote: May 3, 2013 7:29am

Thank you for the information, but for clarification, I need to know if I purchase the new NSG-MR7U SEPARATELY (without the new Google TV Streaming Media Player), will the new remote work with my old NSX-40GT1 Google TV & provide all the new features, including Voice, etc?

14. wheland wrote: May 8, 2013 10:01am

We use Google box to stream Netflix. We are receiving signal to desktop computer, but not through wireless to Google box. Other features on Google box are working, just not the streaming of Netflix. Netflix cleared us on their end. They said we need to disable box and then reinstall software…?? Any suggestions

15. Nick wrote: June 2, 2013 10:37am

Is the operating system going to be bilingual or only in English when upgraded?

16. Vladimir wrote: August 3, 2013 11:37am

I have Sony Google TV Box NGZ-GS7 and I cannot get Flush plugin updated to V11.2 – may sites require latest version and te version that is built into Sony box V 10.2.164.113 is not accepted. I cannot find any way to update this version.

Any suggestions?
    Vladimir

17. carlos wrote: December 12, 2013 10:33am

How do I install firefox on my box?