Press Room

Sony Releases New Camera Firmware Updates; NEX-7 Fans Rejoice

by Gina 10/18/2012

Today we released updated firmware for our αNEX -7, some which relate directly back to input from our owners so as always thanks for speaking up and keep it up. We also have newly released firmware updates for E-mount lenses and select Sony Alpha cameras. So let’s dive right into the details shall we?

First up are details about αNEX-7 Firmware v1.01. This update will realize two community requests as well as three detail improvements. This update will enable the ability to disable Movie Record button (which will be helpful in avoiding inadvertently starting movie recording) along with the expansion of EV Bracketing to include 3 frame 1EV, 2EV and 3EV increments. αNEX-7 Firmware v1.01 also improves auto playback responsiveness along with improving  image quality when using a wide angle lens. Last item to note with this firmware update is the improvement of indication when setting “Flexible Spot” AF mode.

Next is E-mount lens firmware v.2,  for use with Hybrid AF E-mount on the αNEX-5R/αNEX-6. This specifically applies to the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens ( SEL1855), the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL55210), the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL18200) and the 24mm f/1.8 Wide-Angle Prime Lens (SEL24F18Z) to enable Hybrid AF function with NEX-5R and NEX-6. It’s important to note that our E-mount lens firmware v2 is for the lens not the camera so it can be performed only with these lenses attached to Hybrid AF capable cameras (αNEX-5R/αNEX-6). Since these lenses were designed before the introduction of Hybrid AF, their firmware needed to be updated for Hybrid AF to function.

There is a v1.06 firmware update for SLT-α65V and SLT-α77V that includes the ability to enable/disable movie record button along with lens compensation (Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, Corner shading) for SAL30M28, SAL50F14, SAL2875, SAL1635Z, SAL2470Z, SAL35F14G, SAL70200G and SAL70400G lens models.

And lastly there is a v1.03 firmware update for the α37 (SLT-a37) and α57 (SLT-a57) that also includes the ability to enable/disable movie record button along with lens compensation (Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, Corner shading) for SAL30M28, SAL50F14, SAL2875, SAL1635Z, SAL2470Z, SAL35F14G, SAL70200G and SAL70400G models.

So for camera owners, get your gear in hand for your firmware update since below are some quick links to get you started.   You’ll need to have a computer to download the firmware and perform the update. You’ll want to select the version that matches your OS. And be sure to visit www.esupport.sony.com and enter your model name to learn more as well as access important firmware installation details, especially those  important notes on how to run the firmware update.

NEX-7 Firmware v1.01

ST-a57 Firmware v1.03

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

SLT-a37 Firmware v1.03

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL24F18Z)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL1855)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL18200)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL55210)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

1. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 12:21am

Can we have a similar update for the 5N please? Any chance of the touch shutter release as with the 5R also? Cheers

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:43pm

Hey Guest, thanks for posting & thanks for the feedback. I passed it along to the NEX team.

2. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 12:38am

Where is the “disable Movie Record button” for NEX 5?

3. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 12:48am

Please Sony don’t forget us, users of the NEX-5N and all other NEX cameras, because we also want improved braketing. This request was made by all us users since the first NEX cameras appeared, not only by those whom own a NEX-7, and it’s one of the major complaints from the community and the reviewers. As my NEX-5n, still clicks, at least I would know that I can use it for photos as much as the NEX-7 users, and that is not limited in a way which could be so easily solved.
    Thank you very much!

1. Gina wrote: October 22, 2012 2:09pm

thanks for sharing the feedback. I wanted to let you know that I passed it along to the team. Thanks for posting!

4. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 12:55am

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! (NEX-7 firmware)

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:50pm

You’re welcome, you’re welcome, you’re welcome

5. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 1:31am

Are there any A35 firmware updates in development? I’d really love to see focus peaking added, and minimum shutter speed setting would be great too.

1. Gina wrote: October 22, 2012 2:10pm

Hi Guest. Though I don’t have any info on any future firmware updates, I did want to let you know that I passed the feedback along! Thanks for posting!

6. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 1:55am

Noise Reduction Off setting sorely needed for all the cameras listed here. I think it would be in Sony’s best interest to do so, talk about pleasing your user base- this would greatly. Also allowing a greater bracketing range up to 2.0 EV should be standard on all cameras.

1. Gina wrote: October 22, 2012 2:10pm

Howdy – Thanks for the feedback. Passed it along!

7. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 2:24am

hi asked what firmware update for my nex5d? i dont know which i select here can you help thanks

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:54pm

Hmm… So for this one, since it is not a US model, you’ll want to head to your Sony website specific to your region where they should have any info related to the support of the NEX-5d. Hope this is helpful!

8. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 2:25am

im in kuwait ill wait for ur suggestion thanks again

9. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 2:31am

Well Done Sony!! :)

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:55pm

Glad we could help! Thanks for posting.

10. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 2:52am

Is the lens firmware for SEL18200 also for SEL18200LE?

11. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:05am

What about the Nex-5n?

12. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:46am

As a happy A55 owner I wonder why no firmware updates are provided to this model? Paticular the lens correction functionality would be welcome.

13. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 4:20am

Glad that Sony is updating their stuff, but it doesn’t address my own 2 main problems:

1) Overheating and auto-shutdown after shooting video for only 4 minutes

2) Ability to get AF/MF *Control* instead of just *Select* in the custom key settings for keys other than the AF/MF button.

14. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 4:31am

Thanks, but why don’t you put a better EV Bracketing into the @57 also? I don’t understand you guys! I’m really disappointed my shiny new camera sucks in that regard!

15. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 4:39am

The firmware for A-57 work on A-55 model? I have A-55 so asking, hope for a reply soon.

16. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 6:16am

Don’t forget the other users of dslr cameras. We are still waiting firmware upgrades for a850 and a900. Thank you.

17. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 6:26am

Will the SEL50F18 and the SEL16F28 also receive firmware updates to work with the new Hybrid AF on the 5R and 6?

18. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 7:07am

Thank you so much for the update! Badly needed and much appreciated. Great camera getting even better!!!

Best,

Reynolds

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:57pm

Thanks Reynolds!

19. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 7:24am

I for one would like to be able to disable the movie record button on my Nex 5. I have lost so many shots because, unknown to me, the camera is filming a movie.

Please support older models, if you don’t, existing owners might feel its not worth buying new ones. Sony is known for the reliabily and long working life of all its products and continued support shows that you expect a camera to carry on working longer than the birth of a new model.

20. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 8:21am

Hi,

are there any plans to provide a lens firmware update for SEL-50F18 as well?

Best regards
    Martin

21. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 8:56am

I guess we have to be grateful that Sony pretends to be listening at last, but this update for the NEX-7 is disappointing.

The bracketing is still mostly useless. For sharp pictures with long exposure times, you want to use the self timer or a remote control, so as to avoid motion blur from pressing the shutter button.

But you cannot combine the NEX-7′s bracketing with self timer or remote, because these are mutually exclusive options. So, for all practical purposes, you can’t use bracketing with long exposure times. How can anyone not notice that blunder? It makes you wonder whether the people at Sony ever use their own products.

And why Sony didn’t seize the opportunity to let the user re-assign the movie button instead of merely disabling it?

I have no idea. To tell you the truth, this update looks like a cheap and half-assed quick fix, the sort of thing that I’d come up with after very few man-hours, just to pacify the customer “until the real thing comes along.” After almost one year of customers complaining about the NEX-7′s atrocious user interface, I would have expected more and better than that.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:47pm

agreed. I have focusing issues when the camera is set to manual focus mode and the af/mf button is assigned to auto focus. There’s a bunch of subtle issues that only real photographers would notice – not engineers. Sony says they are listening to us but I see no way of giving them feedback on bugs and feature requests. All we can do is comment in forums and hope sony notices it. I am hoping more from their photography department.

2. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 5:23pm

I totally agree with you. I’m a programmer myself and I know that changes to the user interface are the simplest thing to do when it comes to software development. This is not about creating new functionality for the camera, it’s about proper options for existing features and access to them!

The list of ergonomics features is very long:
      1) Why can’t the camera shoot an auto HDR series when RAW is the output format. Just save the middle dynamics shot in RAW and keep on shooting the rest to the buffer, then process and save to jpg!?
      2) Why are there no switchable setting profiles?
      3) Why are there no “modifier” keys for tri nav wheels? For example press ONE button and change the focus point using ANY wheel or the d-pad. After the change the wheels should get back to normal functionality. The access scheme: press button -> chose element in the menu -> confirm -> change the value -> confirm is just so frustrating now!
      4) Why is the MF assist button disabled when “MF assist” option is set to off? The option should be: “MF assist on focus ring adjustment”. And have the options: auto, button toggle, button hold, off. And the assignment of the button should be fully flexible, one for toggle, one for hold.
      5) Remote shutter release in ALL shooting modes!
      6) I truly can’t understand why the movie button is not configurable (with disabled as an option).
      7) Sony lenses with “focus by wire” have this cool DMF feature with smooth switching between AF and MF but why is there no indicator on the sceen what is the current focusing distance on the screen!? That would be very helpful for shots that needs to be made with prepared fixed settings, street photography. I use manual lenses just for this “feature”.

I understand that Sony sees features that would make Nex-7 shooting experience just a bit closer to “professional grade” as a threat to it’s SLT market. There are no technical difficulties with implementing software ergonomics in the product. It’s a pure policy issue of the company: we will not upgrade the product so we can sell the next one and we will on purpose strip down the features of a really expensive camera just so (we think) we have better sales of the big SLT brothers.

Believe me, there is a market for a full professional small camera. I would gladly pay premium just to have the full package. Just hire a professional photographer as a consultant and make the best camera that’s possible with the technology you have. If you are afraid that basic users will have problems with handling it just create a “basic” and “pro” mode of user interface.

I’m an owner of top class cameras from other manufacturer and I chose to buy Nex-7 because I wanted good quality within a small package, but I will not make a huge investment in lenses to a system that is being suffocated by the manufacturer itself. Making a legendary product means putting all the effort you can into it and throwing away the marketing “but it will compete with our other products” thinking.

I think some of the features of Nex-7 are great but delivered in a terribly painful user interface.
      After all those sour words I would also like to thank Sony for the update because I already thought that it’s a lost cause. Please let this camera with great potential be as it should and stop limiting it (or the successor)!

22. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 9:05am

I own an NEX-5n and an SEL1855. Should I apply the SEL1855 firmware update? Thank you.

23. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 9:07am

Just want to say thanl you for this much needed update. The movie button is really a pain.
    Thank you again.

Art

24. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 9:34am

I downloaded v1.01 but still the Movie button on my Nex 7 can’t be disabled. What am I missing? Is it someplace on the Menu? Under Setup? Thank you. John Sikes

25. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 9:56am

Please provide firmware-update instructions for Linux users!

1. Anonymous wrote: October 30, 2012 6:14am

I agree. In the last 4 years, I have used my Windows installation ONLY when Sony released updates for its firmware.

26. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 10:04am

Is the SEL18200LE going to get a firmware update?

27. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 10:22am

Thank you Sony … I have been waiting for the firmware update for my NEX-7 and I am very pleased to see it done. Please don’t stop at one update, please keep improving the firmware in the future.

28. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 10:23am

FW upgrade is usesless!

29. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 10:41am

Dear Sony,
    How are we supposed do use auto-HDR and bracketing on a Nex-7 camera when when remote release is disabled for this modes?
    Handheld?
    By kipping the remote release disabled you make bracketing and auto-HDR practically useless.
    disappointing…

1. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 7:19pm

I agree, I don’t see why they didn’t have that added when they finally improved the bracketing.

30. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 11:52am

What is exatly the improvement when using wide angle lens for Nex-7. Does it mean for lenses, for the upcoming sony lenses, for the 18-200, 24 F1.8, 16 1.8 ?
    thanks

31. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 12:37pm

My most sincere congratulations!! I am overjoyed. You have done yourselves and us, consumers, a great favor. At the same time you have restored our faith in SONY. Keep up the great work and great products!! – JAF, Oct-18-2012

1. Gina wrote: October 19, 2012 3:30pm

thanks JAF!

32. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 1:43pm

Thank you so much for giving us this update. You have made an excellent camera truly outstanding. I really appreciate your customer support.

1. Gina wrote: October 18, 2012 2:42pm

Thanks for the feedback! You are very welcome :)

1. Anonymous wrote: October 22, 2012 3:10pm

Gina, do you ever reply to anything except Sony compliments?

33. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:43pm

There are still bugs on the Nex 7.

- when in manual focus mode, af/on hold, and spot focus – there is no indication of where the center of the screen is until you press the af/mf button. This makes it difficult to focus accurately. It should ideally have a little circle, similar to the circle when the camera is set to spot metering mode.

- the histogram doesn’t accurately reflect spot metering mode.

- inability to see histogram and level on the same screen

- here’s a big bug. when set to spot focus mode, sometimes the spot focus mode defaults to a non-center position. I’ve encountered this bug randomly. For example, when i switch the video mode – at times the spot focus point defaults to off center but at other times it is at the center. This is with the af/mf button set to hold so I can do back-button focusing when the camera is set to manual mode.

I hope in the next version of the camera, sony hires professional photographers who can aid them in making the camera refined and usable for the pros.

34. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:56pm

Gina, these firmware updates are wonderful news for owners of those cameras. I’d like to encourage similar firmware updates for other camera models too, so owners of other fine Sony cameras could enjoy some of the same tweaks. The Movie on/off button control, and the expanded EV range in the bracket mode, would both be much appreciated by NEX-5N owners as well, and by owners of Sony’s last and excellent DSLR, the A580, which shares much with the A57. Please encourage Sony to similarly update the firmware on these two wonderful cameras too!

35. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 5:26pm

The list of ergonomics features is very long:
    2) Why are there no switchable setting profiles?
    5) Remote shutter release in ALL shooting modes!

1. Anonymous wrote: October 29, 2012 4:00pm

I loudly second all the above!

36. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 5:47pm

Please release a firmware update for the nex-5n that allows me to disable the movie record button. For a piece of equipment that is so well designed, this is the worst placement of any button on the camera.

37. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 10:29pm

OK, I downloaded the new firmware for my NEX-7…. How do I disable the movie button?

38. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 5:13am

A Firmware Update for the A55 which disable the Movie-Button would be nice also….

39. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 5:48am

What about the NEX-VG20 ?

1. Anonymous wrote: November 15, 2012 6:47pm

Kathleen seems to not be partial to the VG20 when we spent more money taking the risk……and we were tricked into some of it’s features

40. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 6:14am

The capability to disable the Movie Button is very good.
    At the moment, the Control Wheel can be locked or the Control Wheel and the two Control Dials L&R can be locked all together. In future update, it would be more convenient if the Wheel, Dial L and Dial R can each be individually locked.

41. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 9:11am

Tried to update but camera is not recognized neither by OS X (MAC) or Windows…!!!

Sony, please fix whatever need to be fixed

42. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 2:27pm

Upgrade software cannot recognize my camera

43. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 5:10pm

I’m a NEX-5n user, and I still hope one day you will also fix the Bracketing exposure from +/-0.7EV to +/-3 or more for NEX-5n. I’m sure it is just an electronic, not hardware, limitation because Auto HDR mode can go up to +/-6EV in JPEG. A huge number not to say the most of NEX-5n users are waiting this firmware update which is not a privilege but a crucial need not only for Pro photographers but also for enthusiasts and amateurs.

44. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2012 10:10pm

Please don’t forget those of us who stepped up early to support the NEX system! Those of us with 5Ns and lenses, and accessory EVFs would love to continue to support Sony! I have two questions…

1. Is Sony looking into one last firmware upgrade for the 5N – much as they did with the NEX 5 after the release of the 5N?

2. Will any of the latest NEX lenses (including the new 10-18 and 16-50) actually work on a 5N as it exists today so we can continue to buy Sony glass?

Thank You and I hope you will clarify Sony’s stance on its 5N for the many who have asked questions here and other forums as well.

45. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2012 4:55am

Gina -

The camera still overheats unacceptably when recording movies for a short time. This is true even with no prior still shooting, just turning on the camera and recording a movie. I really hope this isn’t a defect that I’ll have to spend more $$$ to remedy with the NEX-7′s successor. This problem is wide spread enough, something has to be done. I hope this can be corrected with a firmware update but something tells me that it’s a hardware heat issue.

46. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2012 5:54am

Good to see you care about your customers and update the firmware! It would be great to see similar expansion of EV Bracketing for the Sony RX-100 as well – I hope it is in the works!

47. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2012 3:46pm

Gina, will issues such as bracketing being in the same menu selection as the remote/timer be looked into for a second update? This is a real problem. As mentioned previous to my comment, selection of one, eleminates use of the other… rendering bracketing mode useless. Not only that, when in bracketing mode, you have to continue to hold the shutter button in order to take all 3 pics. You can’t even get away with a careful initial push of the shutter.

Please respond.

48. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2012 6:22pm

Awesome… and where’s the update for the NEX-5N???

Please Sony just for once: don’t leave your customers with the impression that all you care for is cashing in and moving on to the next iteration – just to cash in and move on to the nex…

You hopped on to the train of an app-ecosystem now follow through with everything else Apple does right. Hint: Better service for users of “older” hardware being at the top of the list.

THANKS!

49. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2012 7:24pm

Hi,
    Is Sony planning to bring a firmware update to the NEX-5N.
    Since I had my first NEX two years ago, I’ve been begging Sony to replace the crappy bracketing mode of the NEX-5 (and then the NEX-5N) with a decent one.
    Now the the NEX-6 and NEX-5R, and now the NEX-7 with the last update have a bracketing mode which goes to +-3EV!
    I would be extremely disappointed if Sony wouldn’t bring that feature to the NEX-5N with a firmware update. It would really make me reconsider my loyalty to the NEX system.

50. Anonymous wrote: October 21, 2012 1:58am

hi there as a 5n user I really hope Sony will release a firmware update to the 5n that well at the very least disable the movie recording button. also many of the posters have already made the point that the ergonomics of the interface is not very good and could be improved. Sony’s failure to release updates to address these software issues are very disappointing and they do not make me want to make any further investment in the system. why should I buy the nex 6 if I know that the interface had bugs that well likely not ever be fixed even though they could well be? other manufacturers often release firmware fixes to their cameras after feedback that they were not week thought out. see for example the Fuji X100.