Press Room

Sony Releases New Camera Firmware Updates; NEX-7 Fans Rejoice

by Gina 10/18/2012

Today we released updated firmware for our αNEX -7, some which relate directly back to input from our owners so as always thanks for speaking up and keep it up. We also have newly released firmware updates for E-mount lenses and select Sony Alpha cameras. So let’s dive right into the details shall we?

First up are details about αNEX-7 Firmware v1.01. This update will realize two community requests as well as three detail improvements. This update will enable the ability to disable Movie Record button (which will be helpful in avoiding inadvertently starting movie recording) along with the expansion of EV Bracketing to include 3 frame 1EV, 2EV and 3EV increments. αNEX-7 Firmware v1.01 also improves auto playback responsiveness along with improving  image quality when using a wide angle lens. Last item to note with this firmware update is the improvement of indication when setting “Flexible Spot” AF mode.

Next is E-mount lens firmware v.2,  for use with Hybrid AF E-mount on the αNEX-5R/αNEX-6. This specifically applies to the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens ( SEL1855), the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL55210), the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL18200) and the 24mm f/1.8 Wide-Angle Prime Lens (SEL24F18Z) to enable Hybrid AF function with NEX-5R and NEX-6. It’s important to note that our E-mount lens firmware v2 is for the lens not the camera so it can be performed only with these lenses attached to Hybrid AF capable cameras (αNEX-5R/αNEX-6). Since these lenses were designed before the introduction of Hybrid AF, their firmware needed to be updated for Hybrid AF to function.

There is a v1.06 firmware update for SLT-α65V and SLT-α77V that includes the ability to enable/disable movie record button along with lens compensation (Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, Corner shading) for SAL30M28, SAL50F14, SAL2875, SAL1635Z, SAL2470Z, SAL35F14G, SAL70200G and SAL70400G lens models.

And lastly there is a v1.03 firmware update for the α37 (SLT-a37) and α57 (SLT-a57) that also includes the ability to enable/disable movie record button along with lens compensation (Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, Corner shading) for SAL30M28, SAL50F14, SAL2875, SAL1635Z, SAL2470Z, SAL35F14G, SAL70200G and SAL70400G models.

So for camera owners, get your gear in hand for your firmware update since below are some quick links to get you started.   You’ll need to have a computer to download the firmware and perform the update. You’ll want to select the version that matches your OS. And be sure to visit www.esupport.sony.com and enter your model name to learn more as well as access important firmware installation details, especially those  important notes on how to run the firmware update.

NEX-7 Firmware v1.01

ST-a57 Firmware v1.03

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

SLT-a37 Firmware v1.03

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL24F18Z)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL1855)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL18200)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

NEX-5R/NEX-6 (lens firmware for SEL55210)

Windows OS Download

Mac OS Download

1. Anonymous wrote: October 21, 2012 7:29am

Thanks Sony, is very good from you make better cameras from feedback,
    Regards,
    Bruno

1. Gina wrote: October 22, 2012 2:08pm

Thanks Bruno!

2. Anonymous wrote: October 22, 2012 9:53am

Please update the 5n Firware for improved bracketing and killing the video button, please Sony!

1. Gina wrote: October 22, 2012 2:08pm

Hi Guest, thanks for posting, I wanted to let you know that I passed the request/feedback along! Thanks again.

3. Anonymous wrote: October 22, 2012 3:14pm

Hi, first thank you for the A77 FW upgrade. It really keeps it alive. The new firmware definitly brought a speediprovement. The camera respond max faster and I have the feeling that also the JGEP engine with a bit better fine tuned, generating more pleasing results.

I am curious, why it was not mentioned?

Me and many others would really apreciate if the A77 could also get the QuickNavi Pro interface. I enjoyed Quick-Navi a lot on my A700, A850 and A900 . It is one of the best user interfaces for DSLRs / SLTs .

I pray that it will find its way into the A77 ;)

Please Sony development team, go for it!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 24, 2012 9:16pm

Hi there, thanks for the feedback! We’ll make sure to pass it along to the team.

4. Anonymous wrote: October 22, 2012 4:48pm

I am so pleased for the firmware’s provision to disable the movie record button function. I’ve hit the button too many times with my large right thumb and ruined scores of photo shoots by inadvertantly filling my storage cards. Sony has solved the problem for us photo shooters — both photo and movie people are now happy, happy Sony fans.

5. Anonymous wrote: October 22, 2012 8:29pm

Made my day! I have a big thumb and the option to disable the movie button is a really big deal for me. Thank you thank you!
    Frank R

1. Anonymous wrote: October 25, 2012 9:49pm

Thanks from another Frank with big hands!
      Frank M

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:38pm

You’re welcome!

6. Anonymous wrote: October 25, 2012 1:55pm

I too would love a firmware update similar to the NEX 7 for the NEX 5N. Feature for using the Remote in any mode (not limited to drive) would be awesome! Pleaaaaseee?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:53pm

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll pass along to the team.

7. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2012 9:00am

Hey, Where is the SEL18200LE?

8. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2012 8:50am

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Once I saw today that this update for my cherished NEX7 was available, I excitedly and eagerly ran it and wow brilliant this is just a perfect update. With a chuckle I re-set the setup, to switch of the dreaded movie button. I had of course had to try the button … whoopee a popup opens informing its disabled in setup. Oh and yes of course the flexible spot AF mode and the expansion of the EV bracketing… Smiles all round…
    Now dramatically enhances even moor my appreciation of my dear NEX7.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:34pm

Wow! Thank you for the kind words. Glad you’re enjoying the update.

9. Anonymous wrote: October 29, 2012 3:50pm

I had about given up hope that the NEX 7 would ever get this desperately needed firmware upgrade. It addresses the two grievous issues of the annoying video button and lack of useful AEB exposure range which crippled this camera for my needs. I guess it was too much to hope for that we would be given an option for 3, 5, or 7 exposures in the AEB mode.

The installation process is very easy and trouble free. Thanks for that.

10. Anonymous wrote: October 29, 2012 4:16pm

A number of the other comments suggested that the remote would not work when in the AEB mode. I could not believe my eyes, so I quickly grabbed my 7 and the remote I just bought waiting for the day when real bracketing would be enabled to try it out.

They are right and I am again profoundly disappointed in Sony. One step forward, one step back. It doesn’t seem possible that the development team actually knows anything about using the cameras they design the controls for.

REAL HDR bracketing virtually always involves long exposures at one end of the sequence. I always shoot with a tripod, but having to keep my finger mashed on the shutter button is just ridiculous.

I suppose it will be another year, or never, before this oversight is addressed.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:43pm

Really grateful for the feedback. I’ll be sure to pass it along to the product team. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

11. Anonymous wrote: November 7, 2012 4:52pm

Finally, I was able to disable the movie button, this will save me alot of trouble. Now I can switch it on only when I want it and not have to worry about accidentally taking movies of my feet all the time. I have taken more than six thousand pictures with my NEX-7 and love it especially with the 18-200 lens. BTW,fast and easy download.
    Thanks, Laird Kayler

12. Anonymous wrote: November 9, 2012 10:16pm

I just downloaded v1.01 into my NEX7. It my screens now have more noise in the images than before and I cannot see where to turn the video switch on and off. The camera does seem to be working OK except for the noted issues. Did I do something wrong with the download? Thanks for any insight you can shed on this.

13. Anonymous wrote: November 15, 2012 8:45pm

Do you have a firmware of SEL18200LE?
    I need the update to turn-on the fast hybrid auto focus on my NEX-6

14. Anonymous wrote: November 27, 2012 12:46pm

I’m very happy there is finally an update, though I’m quite disappointed by it…

The shortened time before review is a good thing, for sure, thanks, although there’s a hue shift coming after a short time, weird, but still ok.

But I don’t really understand how disabling a button is an improvement, when there was so many alternatives, for exemple combining the movie button with the shutter release button to start shooting the movie, or using a long press on the movie button… now we need to go all the way to the menu each time we want to use it, and go back to the menu to turn it off again, that’s stupid, in my opinion.

Concerning the bracketing, I agree with others that it should work with a remote control (of course), also should work with a self-timer, and should even allow 5 shots for a complete hdri. I own a reflex (from another brand) which use the two wheels to set this very easily, one wheel allow to choose between 1 (bracketing off), 3 shots and 5 shots, the other one sets the exposure interval (from .3EV to 2EV), easy, quick, efficient.

Still many things could be improved, for exemple:

- a more customisable self-timer (allowing real intervalometer function)

- less noise in the live-view in low light, which makes manual focusing almost impossible (yes some photographers still use manual focusing, even manual only lenses…), the camera manage very well to reduce noise when shooting movies in low light even at 50fps, it would be very nice to get the same quality in the live-view

- playback mode could use the two wheels (control dial L and R), one for zooming in and out and the other for changing to next and previous pictures, instead of both wheels doing the same (and the same as the navigation wheel), also switching from picture playback to video playback could be more ergonomic too than going to the menu each time (why not using the movie button for that?).

Now that Sony released a great NEX-6 more powerful than the 7 except in pixel count, for almost half the price, NEX-7 users get a half firmware upgrade… I’m a developer myself, and sincerely think this is half-done.

Please show us you care for NEX-7 users in next upgrade.

1. Vic wrote: December 28, 2012 9:32am

Thanks for update, downloading as I write this. New updates are always welcome, more so if they address a niggley problem like the video button. I agree with most of the posts above and having to switch video button back on via menu is too slow for my liking. 5 image bracketing better than three plus working from a wireless remote.

Thanks Sony but can do better, waiting in anticipation

Regards Vic

15. Anonymous wrote: December 14, 2012 5:57pm

Great that you have responded to the issue of poorly placed REC button, but disabling it is not a solution – you need to allow it to be reactivated but a button combination as has been suggested here. Poor effort Sony, but please try again

16. Dale wrote: December 29, 2012 1:04am

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I am using the Sony Nex 7 camera on a Zenmuse 3 axis gimble and want to be able to switch / record video when we fly! I can’t work out if it’s possible to use this video RC record feature or if it is at all possible???? It would really be a downfall if we can not hit record for video from an RC remote if that was the case! Please help if you can!
    Regards Dale

17. Tim wrote: December 30, 2012 10:26am

I just got my daughter the Sony NEX6 and she loves it! After downloading the TimeLaspes application and using it, it is simply the coolest time lapses way of getting some awesome artistic videos. Now I have a Sony NEX 7, and love it. However is Sony planning on adding an application option as a firmware update??? I realize things like wifi would not work, but just think of adding TimeLapse as an option. Wow, that is my biggest wish for 2013 Sony.

18. Josh wrote: December 30, 2012 5:45pm

Am I the only one finding that the new 16-50mm E-mount lens doesn’t work well on the NEX-7? Is there a firmware update for this coming shortly?

Thanks!

19. Dean wrote: January 4, 2013 11:52am

It’s nice to see that Sony is listening to its users and had developed a work-around for the movie recording feature on the NEX-7.

Adding in an option to enable / disable the movie recording button now requires users to drill down into the menu system each time to toggle it, which negatively impacts user experience for those who wish to use this feature on a regular basis. In my option it’s a backwards approach in user workflow/usability, giving it the appearance that this just a bandaid patch to address this issue and not taking a further step backwards to consider the usability aspect. I would think that Sony would want to enhance the NEX-7’s users experience instead of just providing an enable/disable option but make it still accessible by having the user press both the movie record button plus the shutter button (or allowing the user to select their desired softkey instead). It would certainly address the accidental initiation of unwanted recording.

I would also like to see Sony add a wireless option to the internal flash allowing it to remotely control off-the-camera flashes like the 43AM or 58AM, (since the 20AM is no longer produced) providing TTL and HSS controls without having its consumers purchase third party hardware.

20. John Martinger wrote: January 9, 2013 5:02pm

I’m kind of disappointed that the NEX 5N gets left out in the rain with no update. Bracketing should really be improved, for a camera in this segment it’s just really a pain in the a… back …. to choose between .3 EV and .7 EV. There should be at least a range of EVs up to 1.0 , anything lower is of now use for semi-serious photographers. Thanks a lot anyways for this great product, I didn’t regret staying within the NEX line.

21. Marco wrote: January 14, 2013 3:43pm

What about lens compensation for Sigma Lens?
    I have a “8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM” which does have dark corners as all the ultra wide lens. Thanks!

22. James Whitehouse wrote: January 15, 2013 10:56pm

Great to see some useful updates here for lenses- can I request an update feature for NEX-6, please? It’s one identified by many users and in reviews, but not sure where to feedback to Sony except here?

Simple one- on the NEX-6 Sony gave us two dials, which work great in Manual mode. However, in Aperture or Shutter priority mode, the rear dial does nothing until you press on it, but could (should?) be used as a direct exposure compensation dial, without having to press downwards first. Or, just the ability to set this as a customizable function, please!

Also, the possibility of 24p/60p video on Euro models (some of us actually go on holiday in 60hz countries like the USA with our cameras, and don’t want flickering video under artificial lights, you know!).

Thanks and keep up the great work on these new cameras! Full Frame NEX next, please…

23. Tom Sharpless wrote: January 28, 2013 6:10pm

I am disappointed that you don’t think NEX-5n owners deserve a decent exposure bracket range too. I _have_ been asking.

And PLEASE add a wired shutter release socket in the next package redesign. The camera is crippled without one, and a fine professional instrument with (I wired my own).

24. Ernesto Uribe wrote: February 1, 2013 11:48am

I bought a Nex 5N mostly for pole panoramas ,and I badly need wide braketing.
    PLEASE do somenting

25. Wes wrote: February 3, 2013 6:20am

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony NEX-5R in China. I have now realised it does not have the Application software? I have also not been able to connect it to anything via the wifi.

Is there or will there be an update available to add this? Why would it not be available on the Chinese version?

Thanks,

Wes

26. Georges wrote: March 3, 2013 1:59pm

hi Sony
    As soon as there is either a new version of the time lapse function app (with no restriction regarding functionality like numbers of shots, delays, duration etc,) I will buy my first hex-camera.. not before.
    sorry
    Geo

27. john wrote: March 28, 2013 11:58am

Is there a similar fix for Auto Exposure Bracketing available for the NEX 6?

28. Bill Spears wrote: June 3, 2013 4:25pm

Can the Nex-7 take custom setting profiles yet? Like for action, portrait and landscape? I understand that the early releases did not allow a user to do that. Thanks, Bill

1. Kathleen wrote: June 4, 2013 12:12pm

Hi Bill! NEX-7 does have several Scene Modes (such as Landscape, Portrait, etc). But if you’re asking for user customizable presets that could be recalled for the specific shooting scenarios, then unfortunately, NEX-7 does not offer these. Thanks for your question!

2. Povl Kvols wrote: September 8, 2013 11:57am

I agree, Bill Spears: Custom settings would be very useful indeed. It seems to be either fully automatic or all settings as you left it the last time. To me that has given me quite a few missed opportunities because the ISO-setting, +/- EF or something else had been changed for another scene. Resetting to some custom profile would have been very useful indeed!