Sony Tablet™ S Gets Updated In The US

by Maya 09/27/2012

- UPDATE  -

For those who asked, Watch Now for Sony Tablet S is now available on Google Play for download.

—

Hey US-based Sony Tablet S owners, we didn’t want the new Xperia™ Tablet S owners to have all the fun. You may have noticed a little notification on your device today for a new software update (Android™ 4.0.3). This is a big one that offers all sorts of new cool features, so we wanted to break it down for you.

• Guest Mode – Easily share your tablet with family and friends! You’ll notice in the upper right hand corner you now have an icon for guest mode. This allows you to create additional modes for your friends, children, family members, whoever. You can restrict or grant access to specific apps, and you can customize the wallpaper and icon layout for them.
  • New media player applications (WALKMAN®, Album, Movies) – Our media players have been redesigned and offer some useful new features, so definitely check them out.
  • New Small Apps – We have added more apps to the Small Apps feature. Now you can overlay a small browser, IR remote, calculator, voice recorder and timer on top of another app. You can also register and use widgets as small apps now.
  • New macro functionality on the Remote Control App – We know our IR remote control app is very popular, and we have now made it even better. You can now add six programmable macro keys, which allow the ability to turn on multiple devices, including TV, Blu-ray Disc™ player and audio system, with the touch of one button. For example, you can program sequenced commands such as “Watch TV” or “Play Music.” You can also now choose a different skin for each device so you can easily distinguish between them.

• New widgets, including Topics – You will also notice new large widgets added to the Home Screen. These show more content, including Topics.
  • Socialife – Social Feed Reader Cloud has been revamped as Socialife. This social news magazine app helps you discover your favorite news, videos and social networking feeds in one place.

You will also notice quite a few more little things, like a bunch of new icons and a better copy and paste capability. So get moving, download the software update and get to know all the new features. And let us know, which one is your favorite?

1. Anonymous wrote: September 30, 2012 4:34pm

When will this update come to France?

2. Anonymous wrote: October 1, 2012 8:02am

Any eta for australian tablet s users?

3. Anonymous wrote: October 1, 2012 5:44pm

How about Australia?

1. Anonymous wrote: December 12, 2012 6:10pm

Now available in Australia…

4. Anonymous wrote: October 2, 2012 7:35am

When the update will be available in Germany?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:40pm

Hi there, the system update for Sony Tablet S will roll out in other countries/regions at the end of the year.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 12, 2012 12:42pm

Seriously..!!

At the end of the YEAR!!!!!!!

What does the US version has than the rest of the world?!!

And when finally a full support of Arabic language is included it goes to people who actually don’t speak it and those who do have to wait for 3 more months to recieve it!

Very convenient!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 12, 2012 12:45pm

Hi there, the preparation for the update differs by country/region, which explains the difference in timing. Appreciate your patience and understanding! Have a great weekend.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 13, 2012 11:41am

By the end of the year, Jelly Bean will become aged… n then you will deliver an update to Ice Cream Sandwich? :P
            Wonderful

2. Anonymous wrote: October 13, 2012 11:10pm

I’m sorry… but end of the year means Jelly Bean itself will become aged,.. and you are planning an extension to ICS update that time?

2. Anonymous wrote: October 13, 2012 11:39am

Wat… how different is the US one from the rest of the world

5. Anonymous wrote: October 2, 2012 4:51pm

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party User Guide to the Sony Tablet S (if there has been one published)?. Thanks,
    Tony Gomez

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:38pm

Hi Tony, perhaps our support team can help you out? I’ve forwarded your contact info to them and they should be reaching out shortly. Thanks for commenting!

6. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2012 12:46am

When will this be available to the Canadian version? Why is there always a delay for Canada?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:28pm

The update will roll out in other countries/regions at the end of the year. Thanks for your comment!

7. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2012 3:56pm

We need android 4.1 jelly bean!!!!

8. Anonymous wrote: October 4, 2012 7:55am

Any News For JB Or Update For UK Device ?

9. Anonymous wrote: October 4, 2012 2:10pm

Thanks for the update !!! really liked the new interface but I have a quick question. I’d really like to see Watch now app on tablet S as it has IR functionality built in and from the release notes ( http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=446&mdl=SGPT111USS&template_id=1 ) for this update , it says this update added support for “Watch Now” app but looks like it’s not true .Please advise !!!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 8, 2012 11:25am

Glad you’re stoked about the update! I’ll follow up on Watch Now and get back to you. Thanks for commenting!

10. Anonymous wrote: October 6, 2012 5:06am

Will you be rolling out the update in other countries also?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:16pm

Yup. At the end of this year!

11. Anonymous wrote: October 6, 2012 12:56pm

when come for saudia arabia ?

i cant waiting more!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:16pm

Hi! We’ll provide a system software update for Sony Tablet S by the end of this year in other countries/regions

12. Anonymous wrote: October 7, 2012 5:56pm

What about “Watch Now”? The upgrade says it is available on Tablet S, through Play Store, but it is not there and you don’t mention it.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 8, 2012 11:27am

Hi Gary, I’ll follow up on this and get back to you. Thanks for your comment!

13. Anonymous wrote: October 8, 2012 3:21pm

So is the rest of the world – including Australia – going to see these updates made available for the Tablet S?

Or is this going to be another one of those “nobody outside of ‘key’ markets matters” things?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:12pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. We will provide a system software update for Sony Tablet S by the end of this year in other countries/regions. Stay tuned.

14. Anonymous wrote: October 9, 2012 12:40am

Is the update only on us based tablets? Id really like to get the new features! Im running 4.0.3 release 1a

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:13pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. We’ll provide a system software update for Sony Tablet S by the end of this year in other countries/regions. Stay tuned.

15. Anonymous wrote: October 9, 2012 9:07am

When are we going to get this update in Latin America?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:13pm

Hey! We will provide a system software update for Sony Tablet S by the end of this year in other countries/regions. Stay tuned.

16. Anonymous wrote: October 9, 2012 11:24pm

When in India

1. Kathleen wrote: October 10, 2012 12:13pm

Hi there, we’ll provide a system software update for Sony Tablet S by the end of this year in other countries/regions. Stay tuned.

17. Anonymous wrote: October 12, 2012 6:43am

When coma for Middle East ??????

18. Anonymous wrote: October 14, 2012 12:40am

I’m having a Sony Tablet S in India. As per the Sony US blog: http://blog.sony.com/sony-tablet-s-update/comment-page-1#comment-310809, other countries will have to wait till the end of the year….

Can you please check and clarify? Please provide the roadmap details for update in India

19. Anonymous wrote: October 14, 2012 9:05am

I have the Sony Tablet S which I purchased in November of 2011. The OS has been updated to 4.0.3. I have the same question about the Watch Now app. I have a Sony model KDL-52XBR6 LCD Digital Color TV connected to a Sony HT-SF2300 home theater system. The Watch Now app looks like it would be very useful, but when I try in install it onto my Sony Tablet S, it tells me that the app is not compatible with my device. Is this app going to be available for the Sony Tablet S? I don’t want to feel like Sony has betrayed me and left me behind simply because I have not purchased the “Experia Tablet S.”

20. Anonymous wrote: October 24, 2012 6:48pm

after the update the vpn network stop working everytime I trie to connect to a vpn it show unsuccesful when you will be fixing this issue

1. Kathleen wrote: October 24, 2012 9:11pm

Sorry to hear about the that! Have you reached out to our support team SonyListens@am.sony.com for help yet?

21. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2012 10:27am

My daughter sony tablet with android 4.0.3 a
    How I start update her device..thx

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:35pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ve passed your info along to our support team. They should be reaching out shortly to help you.

22. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2012 11:11pm

When can we aspect the Jelly Bean update? Acer had the update released worldwide in September…

23. Anonymous wrote: October 29, 2012 2:29am

I have an update of 4.0.3 but it is totally different from this update!Why so? And when will the users of Saudi Arabia get the 4.1 update?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:33pm

Hi there, thanks for your comment! Please reach out to your local support team, they should be able to provide you with more details about the update. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

24. Anonymous wrote: November 9, 2012 7:31pm

Has anyone tried to run the Tablet S with Windows 8 RT?

25. Anonymous wrote: November 19, 2012 8:47am

What about Europe?
    When will be an update avaliable there?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 19, 2012 3:45pm

Hello! The system update for Sony Tablet S will roll out in other countries/regions at the end of the year. Thanks for commenting.

26. Anonymous wrote: November 21, 2012 4:23am

Hi , I have the Spgt 111/DE model Sony Tablet s. When will the update roll for these models. It’s wierd for the SGpt 112 or 113 the updates rolled out and for the 111x models not yet, why?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 21, 2012 1:23pm

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I’ve sent your feedback to our support team, they should be in touch shortly.

27. Anonymous wrote: November 24, 2012 2:55pm

Yea! Great i want timescape on my tablet but i supose that JB update rollout will be soon rigth? European Tablet S owner

28. Anonymous wrote: December 3, 2012 3:17pm

Hello,
    I also have a spgt111pt and still no update. When time expect it to happen?

Thanks,
    Hugo

29. Anonymous wrote: December 11, 2012 9:05pm

I too would like to know when Jelly Bean will be released in the US for the Sony Tablet S? Will it support Miracast as well as DNLA? I’m actually starting to wonder if we’ll get Jelly Bean at all.

30. Anonymous wrote: December 12, 2012 3:44am

I’m not really sure if I want to change the entire look and operation of the tablet. I might wait a while and look for some reviews. While I’m here…..what I’d really like to be able to do is uninstall most of the bloatware which I never use. Could Sony provide some sort of rooting tool so users can accomplish this?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 12, 2012 1:10pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ve sent your info to our support team. They’ll reach out to help you shortly.

31. Anonymous wrote: December 12, 2012 11:17am

we need 4.1 JB

32. Anonymous wrote: December 12, 2012 6:09pm

The update says “There is a new look and feel to the tablet interface, with new background wallpapers and new large widget on some of the desktop screens.” but I didn’t get this…

1. Kathleen wrote: December 13, 2012 5:27pm

Strange. I’ll send your email along to the support team. They’ll reach out shortly to help you. Thanks for reaching out.

33. Anonymous wrote: December 13, 2012 2:57pm

What happened to the karaoke feature! I used it all the time!

34. Anonymous wrote: December 14, 2012 8:15am

thanks for the update..but I didnt get the walkman app after the last update…why?please help me..

1. Kathleen wrote: December 14, 2012 4:47pm

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I’ll send your info along to our support team. They should be contacting you shortly to help.

35. Anonymous wrote: December 15, 2012 1:03am

It turns out that this update pretty much screws up the Android browser – so if you’re really fond of it, DON’T DO IT. I now have to use Chrome, which is the definition of desperation. Wish I could go back!

1. Kathleen wrote: December 17, 2012 5:59pm

Yikes! I’ve sent your contact info along to the support team to see if they can offer a solution. Thank you for reaching out.

1. Anonymous wrote: December 18, 2012 9:26am

Am facing a similar fate with the browser performance. It continues to reload as I scroll down the page.

Also a large slider on the side compared to what it was before.

It use to be pretty smooth, efficient and optimised when loading up pages and images. Now its really buggered. :(

1. Kathleen wrote: December 20, 2012 12:53pm

Strange. I’ll pass your info along to our support team. They’ll reach out shortly to help you. Thanks for reading!

36. Anonymous wrote: December 18, 2012 3:26am

This update is now available in Asia region including india.

37. Anonymous wrote: December 19, 2012 3:00am

what has happrnrd to the DLNA app?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 20, 2012 12:52pm

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I’ve sent your question to our support team, they should be contacting you shortly with the answer. Have a happy holiday!

38. Vijayendra Pratap Goutam wrote: January 7, 2013 7:32am

After upgrading my tab to 3.2 to 4.0.3. I got some problem with google play store it’s not working properly. Alway when i started to download any app from play store it shown massage “unfortunattly google play stop working.

So if any one facing this type off issue goto app>all apps>google play store>first clear cache then stop application. After that reboot your device.

Now your device is ready to use….:)

1. Vijayendra Pratap Goutam wrote: January 7, 2013 7:43am

Hi my name is vijayendra.i would like to assist.

How are you doing today?

Let’s try something

On the Tablet:

Navigate to the main screen where all the icons are located.

Tap Settings

Tap Applications

Tap Manage Applications

Look for an Item called Google Play Store. If you do not see it Tap All to view all apps.

Tap Google Play Store app, and then tap “Clear data” and “Clear cache;” then, select Download manager and tap “Clear data” and “Clear cache”

Try the Play Store once again to see if it allows you to download.

Otherwise uninstall google play store service and also google play store. After that disable google play app and again enable it and reboot after comleting this process.

It’s ready to work. I have reslove my issue by this process.

39. TERRY wrote: January 9, 2013 3:21pm

can we run window 8 yet on the sony tablets

40. broth wrote: February 15, 2013 4:34pm

When we will be have the jb or 4.2 or any thing new for these tablet

41. Marcos wrote: March 10, 2013 9:34pm

I have been waiting for jelly bean update for sony tablet s but looks
    To me like sony wont be releasing it hope sony changes their
    Mind because this tablet rivals some jellybean tablets hope sony
    Doesnt forget about this tablet and leaves it ics Jellybean update is a
    Must please sony ill even pay for this update no kidding…..
    Dont disappoint

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 11, 2013 1:30pm

Hello Marcos, no update plans for Jellybean have been announced for Tablet S at this time.
      Thanks for your feedback.
      Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

42. Norberto wrote: March 16, 2013 3:54pm

Google play does not show watch now app on my sony tablet s. this is the original tablet s not the experia version. Is it compatible with my tablet?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 18, 2013 7:18am

Good morning Norberto!

Have you tried looking up the problem that you’re having with your Tablet on our esupport site? If you haven’t, please do at your earliest convenience by visiting http://www.esupport.sony.com. You will need to type in your full model number on the search bar. Afterwards, it will direct you to a page for troubleshooting steps and how-to’s. Please let us know if you are still needing assistance after. Thanks! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

43. r FReddy wrote: April 3, 2013 2:34am

JELLY BEAN TO S TABLET ! all die hard sony fans went out and got this so reward them !

44. Brooklyn Ny wrote: November 7, 2013 4:10pm

Let me know when there going to update