FIRST LOOK: Sony's new action camera

by Kathleen 06/26/2012

Our hearts are beating, our blood is flowing, our adrenaline is pumping. Here’s why: Sony’s developing a new type of hi-def wearable video camera for POV and action sports filming, and we’re giving you – our stellar fans – the first look at the device!

The video camera is tiny and lightweight, but it houses Sony’s hallmark SteadyShot® image stabilization technology, Exmor® R CMOS image sensor, and an ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss® Tessar® lens.

That means, whether you’re shredding major powder, jumping out of a plane, or kayaking through an epic waterfall, you’re capturing super high-quality video of it to show off to your family and friends. And there’ll be ruggedized and waterproof housings available so the camera can do its job in even the most extreme environments.

We’ll keep sharing updates and details about the product so be sure to stay tuned.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 6:05pm

this would be great for horse racing! i have a few jockeys friends that i hope would use this!

2. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 6:16pm

Awesome! I was hoping Sony would come out with something similar to the GoPro.

3. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 6:19pm

You need testers! We water ski, snow ski, camp, bike, sail, kayak, and more!

4. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 7:52pm

Nice design, Good Lens. We hope Sony can make compatible baterai with camera. Please make cheaper accesorries too.
    Goesbike.com

5. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 7:52pm

I’ll put it to a true test with my 4×4 truck on trails with bumps, rocks, mud, water, sand and everything else. =D How much will they cost approximately?

1. Kathleen wrote: June 26, 2012 8:49pm

We’ll share those details later down the road!

6. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 8:02pm

Give me time of day timecode, more meta data, a codec over than H264, less jello effect, onboard wireless and an over all better build quality and I GUARANTEE I know a few TV production companies that will be replacing there. It’s still likely if you can take care of half of those features.

7. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 8:03pm

I would love to test one of these. I record mountain bike trail videos for http://www.trailforks.com I use the GoPro Hero 2 currently and would be great to compare the 2.

8. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 8:51pm

Awesome Sony! I think you will bring some excellent product to this market with your video capturing experience.
    So, do you need any testers? Snowboard videographer here in Colorado that would love to get my hands on one.

1. Kathleen wrote: June 27, 2012 3:39pm

Wow! So glad that you guys are just as stoked about the new action camera as we are. Lots of good feedback here… I know a lot of you are looking for specs. We’ll share them with you down the road. Hang tight!

9. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 8:55pm

Cery nice. But i think you need to add Nightvision into your Cameras alot of us still do things at night an thats what is keeping me from spending any money on a camcorder.

10. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 9:13pm

That helmet looks terrible.

11. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 10:00pm

I hope that comes out soon, gonna shred hard this winter, it’d be nice to have a new camera!

12. Anonymous wrote: June 26, 2012 11:54pm

1. How about a swivel lens and more of a boxy design like SONY Handycam but smaller; so you can chest mount it?
    2. How about a regular 3/8″ camera mount screw on all sides: top/bottom/left/right? Opens up easy potential for ANY action mount
    3. I would ask for a standard SDHC card here but it’s a SONY.
    4. Waterproof at least a little, not a huge concern but nice.

If it has the best picture quality and the first three options above it could be the new standard. Though I can’t believe how big it still is. SONY, you lost the title for the worlds smallest laptop a while ago. Please come back! You’re better than this!

13. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 1:56am

14. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 1:56am

looks ridiculously similar to a contour camera… and having the camera stand up like that on the helmet is just weird. anyway having another competitor in the market is always welcome. lol

15. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 1:57am

HOW THE DAMAGE LIKE TO THE WALLET???

16. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 3:17am

Awesome…looks like a good combination of the Contour (which I own) and the GoPro – with Sony tech inside (I’ve owned the HX5V and 9V – brilliant little cameras!).
    If it can do 1080p 60fps I’d buy one in a heartbeat! Fast sports action really needs the higher frame rate, and so far no sports camera can do it. I’ve been using 720p60fps on the Contour because it gives a smoother motion and less compression artifacts.

17. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 7:16am

In the last picture the camera looks rather big!

18. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 8:58am

Is this camera also using a rolling shutter, because those are just terrible for any kind action shots (especially on cars and bikes, because of the vibrations). Even on “professional” TV productions you see that terrible jello/wobble vision more and more :-/

19. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 9:12am

It would be nice if Sony offered something like GoPro’s Wi-Fi BacPac™ + Wi-Fi Remote Combo-Kit for smartphones. Plus the ability to shoot individual single shots, not just hi-res videos. Great to use with a quadcopter to shoot aerial pictures.

1. Anonymous wrote: July 1, 2012 6:07am

Good one! If you guys hurry up a bit, I’d really drop the idea in buying a gopro ;)

20. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 9:27am

I really want this

21. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 9:30am

wooow its amazing ,what is the cost of it…

22. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 10:29am

No external mic input?

23. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 10:31am

If Sony will force on users the so much hated AVCHD codec instead of MPEG-4/H.264 in order to have full 1080p recording then I don’t care how good the hardware is on this camera. It will go in history on the same path like the memory stick.

24. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 11:05am

This camera looks great so far! Loving the form factor!

Some features I would prefer (in order of importance):

1. User replaceable battery
    2. 2.5mm microphone input
    3. MicroSDHC/SDXC slot
    4. 1080p60 recording

If you opt for integrated flash storage, please provide a fast interface like USB 3.0! I wouldn’t mind paying more than the GoPro if the quality is there to back it up.

25. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 11:38am

As a ex SONY employe and a AVID GoPro user.

Here is my recomendation for sony..

1. WIFI lik ethe gopro ( without this it is destined to fail )
    2. Apps for iOS and Andorid
    3. 60 frames per sec! more if you can
    4. Dual lenses. One Fisheye one regular ( gopro´s biggest fail )

1. Anonymous wrote: August 12, 2012 4:40pm

Hope there won’t fisheye angle too !!! Hey, Sony, dont’ reproduce the gopro mistake. We’ll see this in automn.

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 1:51pm

Thanks for reading! We always appreciate feedback.

26. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 12:19pm

price range?

27. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 12:45pm

hoping GPS function included. =)

28. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 2:12pm

i hope it dont have a fisheye style!

29. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 2:35pm

Would love to have a Sony helmet cam but the design misses the mark…looks bigger than a gopro, which has a poor design too. Way bigger (at least the camera head) than VIO’s POV.HD. Also it seems odd that the camera is pictured in a case for the ski goggle mount.

30. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 4:47pm

Boob, I just got a go pro 2… Want Sony!!

My Sony action cam wishes:

1/ All black please ( no yellow stuff ) flexible easy sturdy 360 swivel thing
    2/ No fish eye! But nice clean lowlight crisp image stabilised!
    3/ wifi remote display via smartphone / tablet, so I can see what the %}*]^]# &€  I’m pointing at!
    4/ Nice price:-)

Thx Moodmasters

1. Anonymous wrote: August 10, 2012 4:10am

Yellow looks terrible and cheap. Agree with another poster that all black is better. Hopefully, SONY will not be adding any silly SONY quirks to this product and it will also have 1080p / 60p & 30p not 60i. Interlace would be a disaster for this camera. That case seems to be several different variations on the same theme. If so, no thank you. One case, with different mounting options. SONY accessories are notoriously overpriced and often are comparatively poor in quality. Also need a mic port! (3.5mm stereo) for those times when having one would be useful. Unlike JVC who shipped their ADIXXION with faults – please test thoroughly! There are plenty of volunteers on here (I’m not one of them) – use them for real-world feedback BEFORE releasing!

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 2:00pm

Thanks for reading! We always appreciate feedback. Hang tight, more details coming soon!

31. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 5:43pm

Good to see some competition in this market segment. Would be great if there was an AV-out (like the GoPro has) for connecting to a video transmitter/receiver system, so it can be used for radio-controlled flights with real-time video.

32. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 5:47pm

Awesome! I’m looking for a rugged and reliable head cam to use when my men’s magazine goes to events such as the Tough Mudder and “Run for your Lives” Zombie 5k. This might be it.

33. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2012 6:03pm

An indicator system and controller or a method for users not to ask “is it recording” is a must. Also, a way to make it mount flush top mounted would be nice to for sports that need clearance and /or less torque on the mounts when crashing. First crash and something is breaking with your mounting method.

34. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 3:10am

Running the San Francisco Marathon next month and need a camera to tape it while I run. If your testing this thing I would love to try it out! Let me know or I’ll have to buy a go pro! But I’d rather have Sony! I just got one of your 3d tv’s with Gorilla glass and I love it!

Thanks
    - Tim

35. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 6:12am

120 FPS in 720P, pretty please!

36. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 10:00am

Sony has the ability to miniaturize a POV camera and add a gambit of features well beyond the competition. However, this camera looks huge; especially the image of the camera on top of the helmet. I’m sure Sony optics and capture will be excellent. As an owner of several Sony alpha cameras, I have been disappointed in their inability to add features such as Wi-Fi, time-lapse photography, and remote PC control and capture. Sony’s Remote Camera Control app released in 2008 was the last one supported to my knowledge. I have never seen time lapse integrated on any of their cameras. And If Sony is going to compete against GoPro and Contour, they need to leap frog their features – including the delivery of Smartphone apps – which GoPro, to date, has failed to deliver. An open API allowing others to develop for their camera would be great and would foster an ecosystem around their cameras. I am eager to see the specification of these cameras, along with pricing and availability.

37. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 10:01am

I can tell you right now, that this will be no competition for GoPro etc. To big and an awkward format (too long) . For action videos one wants something that snugs to your helmet, chest, foot an so on. Maybe it’s ok for a bike handlebar or in the water, but for the rest… sorry.

38. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 12:02pm

Looks pretty neat! I’d like to strap it to my dog to see what she does all day when I’m not at home.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 6, 2012 5:16pm

Haha, that footage would definitely be fun to watch!

39. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 3:43pm

i woudn’t use this for skydiving.
    I have more than 500 jumps and I can tell you: snag hazzard.
    And when you bumb you head. does it fall off?

You want a low profile device. The go-pro is the maximum you want to put on your head.

40. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 5:01pm

Love it. Can’t wait for the specs either here guys. I hope it will features night vision action. Adjustible lens wide to fish eye. Friendlier media format and of course, can timelapse with audio for giys who uses it other than adventurists.

41. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 6:18pm

I hope its price point will be close to GoPro.. And, YES, we need a non-fisheye lens, but wide PLUS normal angle!! iOS app must have too!

42. Anonymous wrote: June 29, 2012 10:48am

Many questions in one word; When ?
    -when will we have more info on specs ?
    -when will it be available for beta testies ?
    -when will it be available for ex-GoPro user ;-)…
    Sounds really promising !!!

43. Anonymous wrote: June 29, 2012 11:15pm

If this cam can pack 120 frames I’m interested, if not, its hardly worth it compared to a GoPro.

Nothing like watching “action” clips in butter smooth slow-mo.

44. Anonymous wrote: July 1, 2012 12:41pm

without 1080 60p, i will stick with my gopro2 for sure…

45. Anonymous wrote: July 1, 2012 12:54pm

Must be able o turn off the auto stabilizer mode, otherwise, the jelly effect is horrible when mounted on a rc helicopter or plane…

46. Anonymous wrote: July 2, 2012 2:00am

Yes, without 1080 60p is nothing excitied me at all, I believe sony will do the best for this sport cam…2nd important thing is able to take video in dark area with sharp and clear details, my gopro 2 still cannot achive that kind of quality I want, I don’t need high megapix for photo in sportcam, so 3.1mp is perfect for video…will Sony listen to me, let see….

47. Anonymous wrote: July 2, 2012 7:00am

Great news, we are looking forward in selling this cameras.
    ActionCamera.ro

48. Anonymous wrote: July 2, 2012 9:53am

The big question for us RC aircraft pilots is how much does it weigh?

49. Anonymous wrote: July 2, 2012 11:07am

This could be great!

What i would like is to have GoPro quality, except without the wide-angle distortion. And having high speed FPS at reasonable resolution (1140p? 720p?).

Looking forward to read more on the specs.

50. Anonymous wrote: July 3, 2012 11:34am

My hopes would be for 50p, manual shutter speed and manual exposure control.

1. Anonymous wrote: July 4, 2012 3:23am

You can already adjust the exposure manualy on a Contour+ via there mobile app for 1 and a half year. So this would not be new.