Tips & Tricks: What is VAIO Care™ and how does it work?

by Sarah 04/07/2012

What is that ASSIST button for on the top of my VAIO® Laptop? What does VAIO Care™ mean? It’s listed under my programs. My VAIO Laptop has been really slow lately and I just don’t know how to go about fixing it. And honestly, I don’t have time right now to call technical support for help. Can this VAIO Care thing or ASSIST button help me out? The answer is… YES! VAIO Care can help and the ASSIST button is a shortcut that allows you to open VAIO Care. I’d like to explain the benefit of this program.

Whether you enter VAIO Care from the ASSIST button or start menu, this utility can guide you through troubleshooting steps, system updates, configuration tools and system tune-up options. VAIO Care is actually a built-in troubleshooting and maintenance program that comes installed on your VAIO PC to help you maintain peak performance and resolve any concerns you may be having with your VAIO PC. Be aware, not all VAIO PCs will have the ASSIST button but you can easily access it under your programs list in the start menu button.

Here again is my friend and colleague, Peg, with some helpful instructions on how to navigate through VAIO Care and the advantages you will have in using it.

VAIO® PC – VAIO Care™

So is your VAIO PC working better now? Let me know if you still need assistance. I’m confident that VAIO Care will help you out but just in case, the SonyListens team is here to help. Leave a comment or feel free to email me at sonylistens@am.sony.com.

For more tips, tricks and troubleshooting videos on VAIO PCs or other Sony products, please visit the SonyListens YouTube™ channel.

1. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2012 5:29pm

VAIO Care 7.3 has been released. Come check it out here:

regards,
    Peter Tat

2. Anonymous wrote: December 8, 2012 11:28pm

I have had someone hack my computer and changed my password. Whatever they have done, I am unable to use my old password to sign in. The discs I have created are also missing. What can I do?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 10, 2012 2:32pm

Hi thanks for reaching out. I’ve sent your info to our support team. They should be contacting you shortly.

3. Rod Blanchard wrote: January 19, 2013 4:38pm

I have a VPCJ228FG computer and I went into Vaio Care which said I needed an update. I hit update and now I have lost the Vaio Care functions. How do I reinstall it?

4. Sanford Pinkiert wrote: January 22, 2013 11:22am

Have vaio PCG- 71511L .Frozen with black screen. When first put On, shows windows coming on, but then goes black. No keys will work. Killing power does not change status. As I am 92 years old , I am not too sharp on computers. – please tell me what to do ?

1. Michael Harris wrote: February 12, 2013 8:41am

Reset to factory setting. Start up with assist button to get to to factory settings. I did something like that, but not too sharp here either.

5. Paul Chau wrote: February 21, 2013 3:09pm

The VAIO model VPCS123FG we are having has been upgraded to Windows 8. Just wonder where I can find the drivers for it.

Wonder if anyone can tell if release update version VAIO Care can help.

The reason is that I can see 2 devices with exclamation marks.

Thanks in advance.

6. k.r.goutham wrote: March 11, 2013 8:07am

im using VPCS123FG….can’t adjust brightness ….few keys in keyboard r not working…..pls help….suggest drivers

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 12, 2013 7:47am

Good morning k.r.goutham!

I’m very sorry to hear that you’re currently experiencing issues with your notebook. The model number that you have provided to us isn’t showing up in our database. Can you please check the model number again at your earliest convenience, it should be located on the bottom of your unit next to your serial number. After we have that information we will let you know how we can proceed. Thank you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

7. melvin wrote: April 9, 2013 4:53am

my model is not available i can t download drivers model-VPCEB27FJ i want to donwload this drivers PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E230&SUBSYS_9071104D&REV_00

1. Sony Support USA wrote: April 10, 2013 12:35pm

Hello melvin, this model is not recognized in my system. Where was this purchased? If it was purchased outside of the U.S. please contact Sony in your country/region. You may find their contact information via;

Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

8. Patricia hart wrote: April 10, 2013 9:46am

I am currently away from my Home PC, but the computer will not work. it does not respond to anything I puh, with exception of the esc key. I have turned it off and on and it will come back to the same page which it is currently on the VAIO CARE page, but does not repond. I have done control alt delete, I then try to hit shut off, task manager and nothing. Just purchased in December for a gift model
    # sve14125cxw

1. Sony Support USA wrote: April 10, 2013 12:54pm

Hi Patricia, I apologize for your experience. Here is an article I found on our eSupport site that should help;

Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

9. Touhid wrote: April 18, 2013 10:27pm

Hi I my suddenly I show a problem that my webcam light is turn on auto for few sec.

How can I understand why its happening?

Thanks

1. Sony Support USA wrote: April 19, 2013 1:17pm

Hello Touhid, please advise what model you have so I can do some research on this for you.
      Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

10. Vaio User wrote: April 23, 2013 4:34pm

What is going on with vaio care 7 and up, no more system tune up, or one click care. I rather go back to older version with all that feature.

11. AlyssaHaley wrote: April 30, 2013 11:37pm

My VAIO Care Performance Update (version 1.0) has failed to install multiple times, not sure why??

1. Sony Support USA wrote: May 2, 2013 7:16am

Hello AlyssaHaley, make sure that you have all the latest updates for your computer. You can get them from http://esupport.sony.com/US

I believe once you have all the updates this issue will be corrected.
      Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

12. Jem wrote: June 12, 2013 10:35am

Good Morning. All the power points and word document files that I downloaded is not working. It just says that “The presentation cannot be opened. Your antivirus program may prevent you from opening the presentation. To fix this problem, make sure your antivirus program is current and working correctly. If the problem persists and the presentation is from someone that you trust, turn off your antivirus program, and then try to open the presentation again. If you do this, make sure you turn on your antivirus program again after you open the presentation.” Please help.

13. Sony Support USA wrote: June 14, 2013 7:57am

Jem, what happens when you do that?
    Scott Fuetnes
    Sony Support USA

14. John wrote: June 17, 2013 8:34am

Sony Viao VPCCW21FX – the screen start up repair appears and the result states that it cannot repair the system and to contact Sony – any tips to bypass this screen

15. Shubham wrote: June 18, 2013 10:17am

I pressed Assist then after my page hangs on Select rescue type
    Easy Rescue
    Custom Rescue

16. Niru wrote: July 4, 2013 1:27am

I am using Sony VAIO VPCYB35AN.I am not able run any video on windows media player. Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks

17. Brendan Grieve wrote: October 19, 2013 2:43am

I have a Sony Vaio Pro 13 running Windows 8.

If I press the assist key under Windows, nothing happens (it looks like it may have an LED next to it, but it doesn’t light up).

If I shut the machine down either by the windows 8 shutdown, or holding the power button for 15 seconds, then press ‘Assist’, nothing happens. The machine does not turn on and thus I can’t enter the BIOS.

Help! :(

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 2:36pm

Oh no! You’ve reached the US Sony Blog page. Please reach out to your local support team for assistance: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

18. jonas wrote: November 23, 2013 9:28pm

i have a sony vaio model # pcg61611l.with windows 7 home premium. i reset my vaio to factory settings and didnt make a recovery disc and now i dont have vaio care, what can i do to fix this??

19. John wrote: February 4, 2014 9:56pm

We’ve become a VAIO family after purchasing the VPEAC24FM back in 2009. The first to have a Blu-Ray drive. I’ve just recycled a VPCCW21FX my daughter didn’t need as she’s gotten a newer model. The ASSIST key is a Godsend! I was able to restore it to factory condition, however I’d like to eliminate some of the other “Vaio Care” features, like those that want to read my music downloads, etc. Is there anyway to turn off the bloatware without losing the ‘good’ things VAIO Care has to offer?

PS. @ jonas (I realize that’s from 2 months ago) You need to go to the Sony eSupport page and download all the updates that have come out since that model left the factory.

Good Luck!