Recover Your Sony Tablet™ S to Factory Settings

by Sarah 04/20/2012

Since the holidays, I’ve finally got a good handle on how my Sony Tablet™ S works. I’m chatting online with my friends and family, I’m adding photos and watching movies but I’ve also put so many applications on there that I never use. I think one of the applications is causing my tablet to freeze up periodically. So instead of trying to find which application is the culprit, I think it would be so much easier if I wiped the tablet clean and restore it back to the factory settings. However, I don’t want to lose any of my videos and pictures that I’ve loaded on there, so I’m going to make sure the “Erase USB Storage” option is unchecked so those files don’t get erased.

My friend and colleague, Peg, has got a great tutorial video posted on the SonyListens YouTube™ channel showing you how to proceed with this recovery. You can also follow along with my steps below.

How to recover your Sony Tablet S™ to the factory settings

1. From the Home Screen, Click the apps drawer
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Privacy
  4. Tap Factory Data Reset
  5. You will be advised as to what data will be erased.
  6. If you select the “Erase USB Storage” option, any data that that you transferred like music, pictures, videos etc. will be erased.
  7. It is recommended to leave this option unchecked so your files will not be erased.
  8. Now, Tap Reset Tablet
  9. You will be prompted to confirm you want to restore the tablet.
  10. The tablet will go through the reset process which will just take a few minutes.
  11. Once the Factory Data Reset process is complete, you will see the first screen in the setup process which is “Choose Your Language”.
  12. Complete the setup of your tablet and you’ll be ready to go.

If you need further assistance or are running into any issues with your Sony Tablet S, please leave me comment or reach out to the SonyListens team at sonylistens@am.sony.com. We’re happy to help. For more tips, tricks, troubleshooting and how-to videos, visit the SonyListens YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/sonylistens.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 22, 2012 10:26pm

I am unable to retrieve data from my memory card that is in my Sony tablet. I did a file transfer but couldn’t find where my data was transferred to. Please advise.

2. Anonymous wrote: July 13, 2012 9:58am

Hi, please I need urgent advice for my sony tab s it is stuck to Sony logo and refused to go farther and when I tried to reset to factory setting by the volume+ way it always tell failed to find files … Please advice i m really desperate..

1. Kathleen wrote: July 16, 2012 1:16pm

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. I’ve sent your question along to our customer service team and they should be responding to you via email shortly.

3. Anonymous wrote: July 19, 2012 11:46am

Hi – my son is locked out of his tablet (Sony S) after a friend messed with his password. Can you tell me how we can fix this?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 19, 2012 1:06pm

Well that’s no fun! Try this: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/tablet Contact info is listed as well.

4. Anonymous wrote: July 21, 2012 10:14pm

I need help my tablet s has suddenly froze,and is stuck on the Sony logo.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 23, 2012 4:57pm

Yikes! Are you in the U.S.? If so, I’ll provide your email to the support team.

5. Anonymous wrote: July 26, 2012 9:07pm

hi,,i need help,,my sony tablet s got stuck at the sony logo and wont go any further than that,,what should i do?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 27, 2012 6:24pm

That’s no fun! I’ve sent your email addy to our customer service team, they should be reaching out to you shortly.

6. Anonymous wrote: July 31, 2012 5:21am

I did a. Download of a new android and recovery and noticed the magic trackpad does not work anymore, please le me know if there is a way to put my tablet to a lower android version from 4.0 to 3.0

kind regards
    michiel

1. Kathleen wrote: July 31, 2012 2:32pm

Hi, thanks for commenting. I’ve sent your question to our customer service team. They should be reaching out shortly.

1. ath wrote: July 18, 2013 4:20am

so, have they reached shortly yet? it’s been a year since the post. can we downgrade to android 3? Sony doesn’t seem want to update us to newest android,so at least let us unlock it and install android ourselves.

7. Anonymous wrote: August 10, 2012 7:23pm

my tablet wont work after I update to 4.0.3
    it keeps telling me “unfortunately, home has stopped”
    i press ok and it comes again

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 1:56pm

Yikes! I’ve let the support team know about your issue and they should be reaching out to you soon. Thanks for your comment.

8. Anonymous wrote: October 8, 2012 6:14am

Hi there
    I have forgotten the password to my Sony tablet S.
    It’s been sitting on the shelf for 6 months as I been using other hardware.
    Is there a way of getting around this problem
    Thanks
    Kristian

1. Kathleen wrote: October 8, 2012 11:07am

Hi there! I’ve forwarded your contact info along to our support team, they should be in touch shortly to help you out. Thanks for commenting!

9. Anonymous wrote: December 16, 2012 6:54pm

I can’t remember the password and I would like to restore to factory settings. Can this be done?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 17, 2012 6:06pm

Hi there, can you please reach out to the support team at Sonylistens@am.sony.com? They should be able to help you. Thanks for reaching out.

10. Jason wrote: December 29, 2012 9:15am

My Sony Tablet S is flashing one long red light and two short red lights and it won’t boot. The don’t logo will flash for a brief second and then disappear. I tried hitting the reset button and holding the power for ten seconds but nothing works. Any suggestions or advice?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: January 3, 2013 11:03am

Good afternoon!

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your Tablet. For help with this issue, please visit Sony’s esupport site for your tablet at http://tablet.sel.sony.com/1/1/SGPT111USS/Welcome/troubleshoot. If this link does not help solve the problems that you are having, you can also call Sony’s Tablet support line at 1-855-476-6982 and they will be happy to help try and fix the problems that you are having.

Kevin Krause
      Sony Support USA

11. Rob wrote: February 28, 2013 7:31am

Since upgrading to 4.0.3, I get the following error when attempting to setup a Guest: “Unfortunately, Home has stopped”. Then application reset to the beginning screen. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or uninstall/reinstall to fix this?

12. Maru C wrote: May 14, 2013 9:03pm

I’m trying to reset my Sony S to its factory data reset. I followed the instructions and it turns off, then on again all the apps and everything still there. I’m trying to reset this because it turns off, won’t delete apps.
    What should I do?

13. Ricardo wrote: May 31, 2013 2:26am

Hi! I’m preordered the xperia Z tablet and was wondering if there was a simply way to transfer all the files, data, saves, settings across from my sony Tablet S?

14. Sony Support USA wrote: May 31, 2013 10:05am

Greetings! At your convenience, please reach out to our colleagues at Sony Mobile for further assistance with your question. You can reach them at this site: http://goo.gl/tqp2E. Thanks for your message today! Scott Fuentes

15. matthew wrote: June 18, 2013 6:51pm

Three days old and my tab says error on the sony screen and wont go any farther.

16. Sharon wrote: August 2, 2013 6:49am

I keep getting “Unfortunately, Home has Stopped” message after doing updates. Need help getting past this. keep pushing okay and nothing happens

1. Sony Support USA wrote: August 2, 2013 11:38am

Try this;
      1. Open Settings
      2. Tap Apps
      3. Select ‘All’ to view all apps on the Tablet
      4. Scroll down and tap ‘Home’ app
      5. Tap ‘Clear cache’ and tap ‘Clear data’ buttons on the screen.

17. zeeshan Khilji wrote: August 3, 2013 4:01pm

Hello i have a sony tablet s SGPT112SA/S. I bought it from saudi arabia but at this time i am in pakistan. Till today my tablet was working fine but suddenly it shutted down by itself and when i rstart it then after raching to home screen it starting giving the messages of applications crashing. I restart it but after that it got stucked on boot screen of android system after sony logo. Plz i need your help how to recover my tablet.

Regards
    Zeeshan

18. jayron mendoza wrote: September 21, 2013 5:21am

Hi, my sister gave me sony tablet s sgpt112sa/s from saudi and now im using it here in the philippines months ago and now it just keeps on going back in to home screen and the back button and every button in the buttom of the tablet it just keeps on going back to home screen in everything I do games or surfing the web, help please..

1. Kathleen wrote: September 23, 2013 11:32am

Hi Jayron, thanks for reaching out. For assistance, please reach out to your local support team. http://sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/