Android 4.0 now available for Sony Tablet S

by Maya 04/26/2012

OK guys, it is finally here! Android™ 4.0 (or as it is fondly called, Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available for Sony Tablet™ S in the US.

There are a lot of cool new things you can do now with the firmware upgrade (hellooo, single motion panorama photo mode and direct access to your SD card?!) and to make it easy for you, we outlined some of our favorite new features in the video below.

To recap, some of the new features you can now enjoy include:

• Enhanced lock screen
    • Direct access to Notifications
    • Unlock direct to camera
  • New panoramic camera mode
  • Enhanced Gallery media viewer
    • Direct SD card access + photo editing tools
  • Exclusive “Small Apps’ for multi-tasking
    • Calculator, Browser, Remote Control
    • Move to screen edge for reduced clutter
  • New Home Screen actions
    • Drag icons together to create folders
    • Add names to folders
  • Enhanced web browser
    • Switch from mobile to desktop web sites
    • Save pages for offline viewing
  • Access files directly from SD card
  • Native screenshot capture
    • Press “power” and “Volume –“

If you don’t already own a Sony Tablet S, now may be the time to buy one – if you purchase one between now and May 12, you will receive a $50 instant rebate and a free cradle accessory. That means the 16GB Sony Tablet S will be $349 and the 32GB will be $449. This is perfect for those of you looking for a fabulous gift for mom for Mother’s Day (hint hint).

For those of you that are already Sony Tablet S owners, the next time you connect to Wi-Fi, your Sony Tablet S should prompt you to do a system update – just click OK to download, and in a few minutes you should be ready to go on Android 4.0. We know you have been eagerly awaiting this update, so we can’t wait to hear what you think about it.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 12, 2012 9:44pm

should the camera apps be able to write to the external SD card (/mnt/sdcard2). i have also tried to use astro file manager to access the external sdcard, it failed “write error, cannot create directory”.
    also, can you install apps to the external sd card?

was it just a problem with sony table S (upgraded to the ICS, system update show no action required)

2. Anonymous wrote: June 23, 2012 11:49am

I’ve had the tablet S for six month now and it’s been great. Recent update to ICS (Android 4)is causing quite a number of problems. I never had to reset the tablet before, now I have had to reset three times in a week. Tablet is often saying “unfortunately Browser has stopped” or other similar messages. Email app is frequently saying connection problems although all other devices on same WiFi hub have no problems. Am I alone in this or are other users having same problems?
    G

3. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 4:12am

Andrioid jelly bean please (4.1) ! make this tablet epic !

4. Anonymous wrote: June 30, 2012 6:57pm

My Sony tablet was updated in late JUNE. But after the update app download has become impossible, and it showed that Google store has stopped. Is there any way to fix the problem? (In California)

5. Anonymous wrote: July 2, 2012 10:14am

You are not alone. I’ve started to have connectivity issues with my SGPT112. I have to restart the router every time, very annoying. It looks like it is an issue with Android 4

6. Anonymous wrote: July 4, 2012 11:07am

Tengo un modelo SGPT111AR/S, que luego de actualizarla a la versión 4.0.0.2. de Android, no funciona la aplicacion para grabar controles remotos infrarrojos.No tengo el reconocedor de imágenes, etc.

7. Anonymous wrote: July 18, 2012 6:35am

Sony tablet S 3G ICS has issue with 3g connection..on every boot it takes hours to connect to 3G, and when contacted customer service is like a shit…even paying such a huge price for sony tablet s the product is shit…if u gift it to ur mom u will get curse from her for gifting such a useless product

1. Kathleen wrote: July 18, 2012 10:54am

Well that’s no fun! I’ve forwarded your concerns along to our support team. Thanks for commenting!

2. David Peters wrote: January 19, 2013 6:43am

Whilst I think that the earlier comment was a bit harsh I have to say the sentiments are well founded. Bought a tablet a week ago and still have not managed to connect to the internet either at home or using a mi-fi. Only advice from Sony customer support was to restore factory settings. Appalling product which is going back asap and never buying sony again!!! If you want a tablet would strongly suggest an i-pad, at least Apple understands the meaning of the words customer service!

8. Anonymous wrote: July 19, 2012 2:35am

Did They Fix The Wifi Problem ?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 19, 2012 1:06pm

Wasn’t aware that there’s a WiFi problem. If you’re having issues, please reach out to sonylistens@am.sony.com. Thanks!

1. Anonymous wrote: July 19, 2012 8:33pm

Yeah There Was A Wifi Problem . Alot Of People Were Having It Especially Me . Look It Up .

1. Kathleen wrote: July 23, 2012 5:03pm

That’s no fun. I’ve sent your email address along to the support team, they’ll be reaching out to you shortly. Thanks for letting us know.

9. Anonymous wrote: July 21, 2012 9:00pm

Yes there is a wifi problem. And no ICS has not fixed it. In fact it is even worse for me than with Honeycomb. It used to be just random dropouts after a while now it is constant from the moment I start using it.

10. Anonymous wrote: July 25, 2012 8:07am

Can’t use voice input and voice google search on it, the microphone so worest, can’t hear our voice

1. Kathleen wrote: July 26, 2012 2:00pm

Uh oh, that’s no good! Please reach out to our customer service team in Hong Kong. They should be able to help you out. http://www.sony.com.hk/service/ Thanks for your feedback.

11. Anonymous wrote: July 26, 2012 7:59am

having massive problems with mine, cannot install ics update, just downloads then says it cannot be downloaded, and it always happens. even a full reset doesnt fix it as well as all of the apps i try to install always say package file is invalid. i just tried android after using an ipad for a few years and now im going back to it. the thing about iOS it is always works 100% compared to android. going back to the store tomorrow. this is a huge letdown sony i really did enjoy the tablet s form factor and design but the shocking problems with everything else has left me frustrated and disappointed

1. Kathleen wrote: July 26, 2012 2:35pm

Oh noes! We can assist you with your issues, please reach out to the customer service team in your country: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ Thanks much for your feedback.

12. Anonymous wrote: July 28, 2012 1:48pm

I have had a Sony Tablet S since January, when it was running Android 3.2 I never had any problems. Since I updated to 4.0, over half the time I cannot power it on, I have to press the reset button and let it completely reboot. Any suggestions?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 31, 2012 2:31pm

Thanks for reaching out, I’ll send your question along to our customer service team. They should contact you shortly.

13. Anonymous wrote: August 3, 2012 7:59pm

My sony tablet s wont let me do screenshots, and I upgraded it to the new version… I need help?

1. Kathleen wrote: August 8, 2012 2:17pm

No problemo. I’ve passed your question along to our support team. They should be contacting you shortly. Thanks for your comment!

14. Anonymous wrote: August 12, 2012 2:12am

After update, I cannot access to the SDcard. Settings crash when click on storage.

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 1:54pm

Uh-oh. I’ll let the customer support team know. They should be reaching out to you shortly. Thanks for reading!

15. Anonymous wrote: August 12, 2012 4:44am

I love my brand new S. I do have a couple of questions, a couple of times my S turns it off to a black screen while I am using it..I have to wait a couple on min’s before I can turn it back on.

What is the best mouse for the S ? The sony site no longer seems to sell the combo package with the mouse and the keyboard. Thank you for any help….LOVE MY S

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 1:52pm

Happy to hear it! I’ve forwarded your question along to the customer service team, they should be reaching out to you shortly. Thanks for the comment.

2. Sarah wrote: August 14, 2012 2:34pm

Good afternoon! I am so happy to hear you’re enjoying your Sony Tablet S. It is a great product!! I would recommend looking into the VAIO Bluetooth Slider Mouse model # VGP-BMS15U/B. It is available on the Sony Store website. Please let us know if you need further assistance. You can reach my team at sonylistens@am.sony.com

Best Regards,
      Sarah Kepler

16. Anonymous wrote: October 18, 2012 3:33am

Why won’t my tablet s talk to my ps3 as it is ment to be able to link up with other Sony product:-(

1. Kathleen wrote: October 18, 2012 1:16pm

Uh-oh that’s no fun. Please reach out to your local support team for help http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

17. Anonymous wrote: November 9, 2012 4:51am

How do we get this?

18. Anonymous wrote: December 10, 2012 11:36pm

sony tablet s what about 4.0.4

19. Anonymous wrote: December 11, 2012 11:52pm

Is there a way to connect 3G USB dongle to Sony Tablet S to be able to connect to internet on go? Or is there a place to log this as a wish list to get this feature in next update?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 12, 2012 1:10pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ve sent your info to our support team. They’ll reach out to help you shortly.

20. Anonymous wrote: January 8, 2013 6:34pm

Ever since updating my tablet s to 4.0.3 (release5a) I’ve been experiencing problems. I can now no longer create groups on the desktop if the app is moved to USB storage. It creates the group but disappears after a restart.

It worked fine before the upgrade in December.

21. Android Tablet Apps wrote: January 16, 2013 3:39am

Sony is a better brand and you will have more options with an Android based platform. My recommendation is going with Sony it’s a better build (hardware and software).

22. ursula white wrote: March 6, 2013 5:43am

I have a android 4.0 tablet as a gift and i do not know how to set it up can someone please help me i would be so grateful thank you.

23. Chiranjit wrote: June 5, 2013 8:42pm

I cannot get to the home page of my tablet S. It gets stuck on the swirly animation page after the SONY logo. Its quite frustrating. Tried resetting to factory settings by pressing power on and the volume up but to no avail. It says datawipe complete but then gets stuck on the old screen(initial) again.