What is Sony Entertainment Network and Why Should you Care

by Team Sony 02/07/2012

Do you stream or download music and movies to your Sony® TV, Tablet, VAIO® PC, Walkman® media player or PlayStation®3 system?  If your dream is to live the “connected life” with the content you want at your fingertips, Sony Entertainment Network  wants to make this experience even better by giving you access to more of the movies you’re dying to see, the music you love to hear, great gaming and more.

“The idea here is to bring together all of your media, all your entertainment under a unified approach” says Tim Schaaff, president of Sony Network Entertainment, during a conversation with The Next Web adding, “Consumers will get an easy to access total entertainment experience across many Sony and non-Sony devices.”

Here’s a quick breakdown: Sony Entertainment Network services consists of four areas; a cloud based service called Music Unlimited, an on demand video service called Video Unlimited, a growing list of PlayStation gaming options on PlayStation Network and a personal photo and video sharing service called PlayMemories.  It’s all designed to be simple to use and accessible through a single account and electronic wallet.

As the buzz around Sony Entertainment Network especially Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited grows we’ve noticed many of you want to know more so we collected the top questions we’ve seen from Facebook®, Twitter™, and Google+ then took them to the experts at Sony Entertainment Network to get you answers. If what you’re wondering didn’t get answered here, make sure to leave it in the comments below.

What is the Video Unlimited service?

The Video Unlimited service is a premium digital video service that gives you easy access to over 80,000 blockbuster movies and hit TV episodes through a wide variety of connected devices both at home and on the go.

What is the Music Unlimited service?

The Music Unlimited service is a global cloud-based, digital streaming music service for music lovers to access a global catalog of over 15 million songs on a wide variety of connected devices, both in-home and on the go.

What are subscription types and features?

For now, the Video Unlimited service is an a la carte service, which means you can purchase or rent individual movies or episodes from a wide variety of first run and catalog movies and hit TV shows.

Music Unlimited service has two levels of subscriptions, Basic for $3.99 and Premium for $9.99. Both give you access to a global catalog of millions of songs, dozens of personalized, ad-free music channels on a variety of home entertainment and mobile device. You can scan and match your existing music files and playlists on your PC to the service for playback on compatible devices at any time. The service will play songs tailored to your taste by incorporating your likes and dislikes as well as analyzing your scanned music. Premium account users can also create and manage playlists and access a number of premium channels. You can see a full list of what is available for each plan and check out the 30-day free trial here.*

Will the Video Unlimited service ever turn into a streaming product like Netflix?

Good news:  the Video Unlimited service is already a streaming service on connected BRAVIA® televisionsSony Internet TVSony Blu-ray Disc™players, and the Sony Streaming player.  For now it is a download- only service on PS3™ systemsPSP devicesSony Xperia™ smartphones, PCs and Sony Tablet™ devices.  Keep in mind, movies purchased through the Video Unlimited service on the Sony Tablet S cannot be downloaded to the SD card and played back on other devices.

The Music Unlimited service is currently on Sony Tablet™ S as well as other Android™ tablet products and Android-based mobile handsets as well as PS3 systems, connected BRAVIA televisions, Sony Internet TV, Sony Blu-ray Disc players, the Sony Streaming player, Walkman devices, and PCs.  Since it is cloud based, your Music Unlimited library, playlists, and channels are shared across all of these devices so you can listen to your music anytime, anywhere.

What devices can I use to connect to Sony Entertainment Network?

Here’s a quick list of all the types of devices you can use to connect to Sony Entertainment Network for music and movies and don’t forget to check out the free trial of Music Unlimited.*

Music Unlimited:

• Connected BRAVIA televisions (2010, 2011, and future models)
  • Connected Sony Blu-ray Disc players
  • Connected Blu-ray Disc Home Theater Systems
  • Sony Streaming Player
  • VAIO and other PCs
  • PS3 systems
  • PSP devices
  • PlayStation Vita
  • Android-based Sony and third party mobile devices including handsets and tablets including Sony Tablet S and Sony Tablet P
  • Sony Internet TV (U.S. only)

Video Unlimited:

• Connected BRAVIA televisions (2010, 2011, and future models)
  • Connected Sony Blu-ray Disc players
  • Connected Blu-ray Disc Home Theater Systems
  • Sony Tablet S and Sony Tablet P
  • Sony Streaming Player
  • 2011 Model Xperia smartphones
  • PC’s (through Media Go)
  • PlayStation®3s
  • PSP
  • PS Vita
  • Sony Internet TVs

Will Sony Entertainment Network be available in my country soon?

We know our global fans want to know when the Sony Entertainment Network will come to their country. Sony Entertainment Network will continue to secure regional support around the globe and will announce several new countries during 2012.  The newly launched Sony Entertainment Network Blog is your source for all content and device updates, as well as the most recent list of the growing number of places you can get the service.  So head on over and tell ‘em we sent you, and if you have any more questions related to Sony Entertainment Network, leave it in the comments below!

*See full terms and conditions at http://sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/free-music-trial

1. Anonymous wrote: February 7, 2012 3:04pm

Great read, but kind of confused. In one area you say that the Video Unlimited is available, as a download, on the PS3, Xperia devices, etc…but then on the compatibility lists at the bottom, the Xperia is listed but not PS3. Is the service compatible with the PS3?

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 9, 2012 10:42am

You are totally right. Thank you for catching my error. I added the missing products to the Video Unlimited list.

2. Anonymous wrote: February 7, 2012 3:12pm

How will this compare to the XBOX live? And if it doesnt and its suppose to be an orginal idea, how will it change from the current format.

3. Anonymous wrote: February 7, 2012 3:21pm

I love the Sony Network but something really caught my attention today.Best Buy had the new Sony blogger camera on sale 2/07/2012 for less than 100 dollars an the Sony outlet store sells the same camera for 200 an up.Guess where I purchased mine from??What’s the deal on this.Truth be told it’s just a one day sale but…….

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 9, 2012 10:36am

So you got a new Bloggie? Congrats – and I’m glad you found a great price. Which model is it and what will you be filming?

4. Anonymous wrote: February 7, 2012 10:46pm

I wish we could get these services in my country Zambia. No one ever provides streaming services for us yet we want them.

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 9, 2012 10:29am

Thanks for the comment. I’m curious to know more about how you get content. Are there any streaming services where you are? What’s the internet usage?

Thanks again for the comment. It’s actually great to see that the Sony Blog is reaching far and wide!

5. Anonymous wrote: February 10, 2012 11:30pm

CREATE A GOOGLE+ PAGE OF SEN ! I will appreciate it a lot. Thanks. :-)

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 11, 2012 4:55pm

Will pass on this feedback to the folks at SEN. What kind of updates would you like to see on Google+ from SEN?

6. Frederick wrote: February 13, 2012 7:05am

I still cannot get Music unlimited to extend my subscription. This blows!! However,typical Sony.

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 13, 2012 1:00pm

Hey Fredrick, thanks for the comment. Sound like you need some assistance from our service team. Have you been to esupport.sony.com? They’re able to help troubleshoot questions about products as well as with services like Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited. Also, if you’re on Twitter, you can reach out to @SonyListens. They’re a team dedicated to helping out folks with technical issues or troubleshooting. I sent them your note. They should be in touch with you shortly. You can also reach out to them at SonyListens@am.sony.com.

7. Anonymous wrote: February 23, 2012 9:08pm

I still don’t understand what I am getting for my $9.99/month. If the service is a la carte that means I still have to rent the movies separately why would I pay $9.99/month to just have access to that? Please clarify what I would get for premium account.

8. Anonymous wrote: April 22, 2012 4:59pm

Why I cannot log to the Sony Entertainment Netwok? I get the HTTP status 404 error.

9. Anonymous wrote: August 3, 2012 2:09am

I live in Turkey and am unsure if the Sony entertainment network is available. Please can you advise

1. Kathleen wrote: August 3, 2012 12:40pm

Hi there, thanks for commenting! You can reach out to your local customer support team to find out: http://www.sony.com.tr/support/tr

10. Anonymous wrote: November 19, 2012 2:09am

How much does it cost to stream movies in NZ?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 21, 2012 1:55pm

Hi there, not sure. This site may help: http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/nz-en/home/ Thanks for your question.

11. Merle wrote: January 31, 2013 8:52am

I’ve rented two movies so far and both have had problems streaming. They would begin streaming at 10-12mbs then part way into the film slow to 2-4mbs causing it to pause so frequently it’s pretty much not watchable. The first I used wifi and thought perhaps it was interference. I bought a powerline network adapter but that didn’t solve the problem. I live in Toronto and have 30mbs internet service. I can only conclude it’s the Sony Entertainment Network that’s at fault.

12. XTHEXREGULARXGUY wrote: March 8, 2013 9:08pm

Dear playststion network, on monday march 4 I was hacked, I was playing serch and distroy, when a guy said he was going to hack me , I said why and he said because he felt like it. I know you dont want the word spread that hacking works, so add dollars to my wallet , and I wont say a peep. Its a win for both of us, thankyou for your time

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 10, 2013 1:18pm

Good afternoon XTHEREGULARXGUY,

Sorry to hear that you’ve been hacked on your Sony PSN account. I would recommend getting in touch with one of our colleagues over at Sony PlayStation at your earliest convenience by following this link: http://community.us.playstation.com/?XID=M:sony_community:FBTab. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful day!

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

13. XTHEXREGULARXGUY wrote: March 8, 2013 9:10pm

I ment 50 dollars thanks

14. Kai_Heidelberg wrote: April 7, 2013 12:16pm

Good Evening,
    since 2 Weeks I am a member of SEN and I want to watch movies over SEN with my Sony Bravia TV ( with WLAN ).
    I have 16 MBit Internet, and all File Downloads and other Streamings work with full Speed. ( I live in Heidelberg ( Germany )
    But so far I have never had enough bandwidth in SEN to watch a movie without constantly stopping and loading inbetween.
    Is that normal ?
    What can I do to get the bandwidth in SEN ?
    Thanks
    Kai

1. Kathleen wrote: April 8, 2013 9:45am

Hi Kai, thanks for reaching out. For assistance, please reach out to your regional support team: http://www.sony.de/support/de

15. Tracie wrote: April 18, 2013 8:35am

I want to know how much does it cost to rent a movie on SEN???

1. Kathleen wrote: April 19, 2013 11:58am

Hi Tracie, thanks for your questions! You can find pricing info here: http://us.support.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2228 Hope this helps!

16. juan carlos wrote: May 18, 2013 6:17am

estoy muy descontento porque he comprado una tarjeta de playstation network card y al canjear el codigo me dice ke ya asido canjeado sin poder utilizar el saldo ke dispone esa tarjeta quiero una explicacion y un nuevo codigo pa canjear un saludo grasias

17. Mal wrote: July 11, 2013 4:46am

Hi,
    I live in Adelaide Australia. I gather that new model Bravia TVs come with a SEN menu in which I can select various catch-up TV channels. Does this same menu come up if I access SEN through a Connected Sony Blu-ray Disc player & an older TV? Or is that software only in the new Bravia TVs? Thanks.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 11, 2013 1:44pm

Hi Mal, that question would be better suited for the AU Support team. http://www.sony.com.au/section/support Hope this helps! Thanks for commenting.