Android Market and Google TV update come to Sony Internet TV

by Team Sony 10/28/2011

Starting early next week, owners of Sony® Internet TV with Google TV™ devices will be the first to see a transformation on their televisions. Google will begin sending over the air updates to Google TV devices starting with Sony Internet TV and Sony Internet TV Blu-ray Disc™ players that will improve the user interface and bring hundreds of Android™ apps customized for the television experience to their set.

“We’re committed to delivering the best way to discover and engage with high-quality entertainment on your television, whether that comes from your cable or satellite provider (DISH, Comcast, DIRECTV, etc.) or from the Web (YouTube, Netflix, and thousands more)” Google said on their blog this morning. Improvements are based on four areas of user feedback and will make the interface easier to use, make it easier to find content, brings a custom YouTube player for the TV experience and bring the long awaited Android Market™ to the TV.

Back in October 2010 Sony introduced the World’s first TV based on the Google TV platform in the U.S. at the Android Developer’s Conference. Since then we’ve heard from many of you eager to be among the first to enter a new chapter of internet and television convergence.
If you have a Google TV device, let us know what you think of the improvements. What are some of the applications you find most useful or fun? Does this change the way you watch TV? Are you a content creator, a developer or a consumer who likes to be on the cutting edge? Leave us a comment and let us know.

Press Information is available on the Sony News and Information site.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 28, 2011 8:04am

nice!!!! & ……

2. Anonymous wrote: October 28, 2011 7:03pm

YEAH! I got that Sony/Google as soon as it hit the shelf and my phone and tablet are Androids. I can’t wait!

1. Sukhjit wrote: October 31, 2011 9:02am

Would you let us know what you think once you get the update? Thanks for the comment btw and happy Halloween!

3. Anonymous wrote: October 30, 2011 9:23pm

Thanks for the update, how can I force the update for my device? I’ve been waiting for to days, hoping for the update to arrive.

thx,

James

1. Sukhjit wrote: October 31, 2011 9:00am

Hey James. The update is rolling to Sony Internet TVs this week. You can proactively check by going to settings and about, but for the most part the update will come to you and you’ll just have to approve the process. Will you let us know once it arrives? Would like to hear how the process goes for you and what you think of the changes.

Thanks and Happy Halloween!

4. Anonymous wrote: October 31, 2011 10:19am

MY UPDATE IS DOWNLOADING, I CANT WAIT TILL IT FINISHES TO TRY IT OUT

1. Sukhjit wrote: October 31, 2011 11:00am

Wohoo! Thanks for letting us know! I can’t wait for my update too! Sony Internet TV Blu-ray box at home. Very excited to get the update! Drop us a line once you’re update is finished.

5. Anonymous wrote: November 1, 2011 9:27am

So it’s Tuesday November 1st…. Still waiting. No update yet. I’m sick and tired of this waiting game. Wtf?

1. Sukhjit wrote: November 1, 2011 3:47pm

I’m waiting for my update too! Hope you’ll let us know when you get yours. Happy to say Sony owners get the update first, but it will take several days to get to all users. Hang tight!

6. Anonymous wrote: November 1, 2011 7:08pm

I hope Sony/ Google did some thorough testing before releasing this ‘update’.
    Own one of the very first google TV- NSX40GT1. (last oct- when the tv just came out).
    Very disappointed with the bugs which were a result of lack of testing and lack of quality. No detailed instruction manual.

1. Sukhjit wrote: November 1, 2011 7:44pm

Thanks for the feedback. Drop us a line once you get the update. Would be good to hear if you think some of the bugs have been fixed. I’ve seen some of the interface changes and it looks like a promising update in terms of ease of use. I haven’t gotten it on my home box, so haven’t done a ton of testing, but from what I’ve seen it’s a big improvement based on user feedback. Thanks again for stopping by and dropping a comment.

7. SRSaxena wrote: November 2, 2011 11:13am

Still waiting eagerly but excited!

8. Kamesh wrote: November 2, 2011 1:20pm

I’ve been waiting for three days and the update didn’t reach my TV yet. I am bored of seeing “You’ve the latest update installed” message whenever I manually check for the update. Will it happen at least by the end of this week?

9. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2011 1:50pm

I loved the last model so much I felt like a kid in the toy shop… I love the movies and all the apps. being an older lady this is F U N ; ). btw I took one of the college courses on diabetes and learned so much about the disease. More than my Dr. told me lol!!!!!! what a great Device to see and hear..I love this Smart T V and hope to enjoy the rest of the many programs that are new here. Tinas

10. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2011 8:24pm

I got my update today. It is looking good. Also sony people the “Connect with Facebook” button is broken on here, you should fix it.

11. Anonymous wrote: November 5, 2011 6:29pm

I follow all innovation on tv market since first HDTV came early 90′s.My opinion about Sony-Google is nice union with good future.In current time it’s seems so-so.I see future Internet TV as fast streaming same-time program with wide range of application.

12. Anonymous wrote: November 6, 2011 10:39am

The “Most Visited” option has disappeared. The NetFlix app has changed and is more difficult to find things to watch. I want the old interface back. I am disappointed to say the least.

13. Anonymous wrote: December 17, 2011 12:08pm

What accessories do I need for the new Sony Internet TV?

1. Sukhjit wrote: December 19, 2011 9:43am

Hello! Thanks for the comment. If you want to turn your existing TV into a Google TV, you need a Sony Internet TV Blu-ray disc player, NSZ-GT1. It will give you access to all that Google TV has to offer and it is also a Blu-ray player. Remember, you’ll need to connect this to your home network. If you have more questions, head over to esupport.sony.com. Hope this helps.