Press Room

Just announced: Two new cameras with head turning design and technology

by Team Sony 06/08/2011

Since their introduction last year, the small, powerful NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras and the groundbreaking Alpha Translucent Mirror Technology have taken the world by storm. We’ve heard over and over from both fans and industry affiliates that the size, style, quality and impactful technologies have won over a very competitive audience.

Today, we’re proud to announce new introductions to the lineups, as the new NEX-C3 is a successor to the NEX-3 and the SLT-A35 has been added to the Alpha line of DSLR cameras.

The NEX-C3 is the World’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens digital camera to sport a large APS-C size sensor. Weighing in at just around a half pound, the C3 is even lighter than the NEX-3 & NEX-5. The body of the camera has a streamline grip and has also shifted from a plastic top casing to metal.

The camera’s Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ® processor are also new and improved which means higher quality pictures. Expect 16.2 magapixel photos and 720p HD video.

Further, a new user interface is in place for those who want to add creative effects, letting you preview, apply and add fun, colorful effects to your photos directly on the camera. Also, look for “Picture Effects” in the camera setting for options to add retro elements, pop color, contrast and more. The new menu and options will give even newbie photo bugs a chance to create unique, custom-styled, high-quality photographs.

The NEX-C3 (with a 18-55mm kit zoom lens) will be available in August in silver, black and pink for $649.  It will also be available in black with a small 16 mm f/2.8 kit lens for $599. You can find out even more about the new camera and new accessories from the latest release on Sony.com/news.

Sony’s Translucent Mirror Technology was groundbreaking when we announced it last year. The new SLT-A35 is the newest addition to the line, which has built a reputation for high speed shooting and fast auto-focus capabilities for both still photos and video.

The A35 adds tele-zoom to the high speed shooting at up to 7 fps and will have a brand new  16.2 megapixel Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and a BIONZ processor. Improvements in these technologies will mean higher resolution images and better low light functionality.

This model will also have 11 new “Picture Effects” settings, similar to the NEX-C3, which let photographers experiment with new creative ways to take photos.

Find out more about the new A35 on Sony.com/news. It will be available in August with an 18-55mm kit zoom lens for $699 or body only for $599.

Last, for those of us who already own an NEX-3, NEX-5, A33 or A55 a software update will be available late June that can update to the new user interfaces.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 8, 2011 10:18am

I’ve been drooling over the new Alphas – I have an A550 and I was so excited when I traded up from an A300 in 2010. But Sony keeps out doing themselves and I’m dancing around the idea of another camera body.

A gal can dream, right?

Looking forward to the release. Love getting inspiration for my photography blog!

2. Kimberly Gauthier wrote: June 8, 2011 10:20am

Me again!
    When I saw the link I had to pop over to see what Sony came up with next. I’m still shooting with my lovely A550 and I would love love love to upgrade.

Looking forward to writing about this new Alpha.

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 8, 2011 10:35am

Great to see you Kimberly! Have you had a chance to try the a55 yet? If not, I’m excited for you to get your hands on it. The shooting speeds and fast focus are great. I think you’ll enjoy.

3. Anonymous wrote: June 8, 2011 6:14pm

how will Nex work with wildlife and flowers? I use sony dsl H55.

4. Stefan Yeremia Klemens wrote: June 8, 2011 6:29pm

aaargh i love nex XD…

5. Anonymous wrote: June 15, 2011 8:42am

WOW! so cool I really want this!

6. Anonymous wrote: June 25, 2011 8:21am

I bought a Nex-3 package before my trip to Greece and it was definitely worth every penny. All my cohorts and professors wanted my camera and as I discovered the different features and tricks that I can do with this little thing even I was at aw. I would recomend this camera package to anyone. Why carry a heavy peace if you can do the same and more with this petite SLR. Love it, keep up the good work SONY.

Anita from Central Florida

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 28, 2011 9:47am

Anita! What a great story! Thanks for sharing… I’m going to inaugurate you as part of #teamsony! Glad you’re having fun with the NEX-3 and thanks for spreading the love.

7. Anonymous wrote: June 29, 2011 8:50am

i totally want one of these! i had a Nikon D90 but i hated carrying around such a huge camera and lenses, i’m not a pro photographer but i like being able to take great looking pictures and i could fit this into my laptop bag without a problem.

1. Sukhjit wrote: July 1, 2011 7:46pm

I’ve had the NEX-3 and it has definitely allowed me to bump up my skills. It’s size is a real bonus, super easy to take along but still gives me what I need to take dynamic shots. LEt me know what you think after you test one out.

1. DisposablePal wrote: July 6, 2011 9:13am

i just played around with one at Best Buy, i totally want one now! Not sure why it keeps showing my comments as anonymous. Hi Sukhjit!

8. Anonymous wrote: June 29, 2011 9:00am

WOW! Love your Posts. You know, I also have a website like this, Its http://ikejhamb.com