Project Shiphunt Team Announced

by Team Sony 05/19/2011
Five science savvy high school students from Saginaw, Michigan are about to embark on a great adventure: Project Shiphunt. The students were selected in part because of their passion for science and technology and will get the once in a lifetime chance to work along with a team of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists and historians to search for shipwreck in Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
The group will hunt for a Lake Huron shipwreck, try to learn more about the sunken ship’s identity and they will document it in 3-D using cutting edge computing technologies. Sony and Intel are joint sponsors of the project and have donated Sony VAIO laptops powered by 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ processors to the team. The team will use their VAIOs to collect and process the incredible amounts of data that will help them make a 3-D map of the lake floor and hopefully lead to the discovery of the ship.
Acclaimed NOAA nautical archeologist, Dr James Delgado will mentor the kids. You can follow the story at Sony.com/ProjectShiphunt where you can learn more about the program, the kids and their progress in the quest to find sunken ship. Can they do it?!

If you haven’t yet make sure to try the Oceans of Treasure game on the Sony Electronics Facebook page. It’s a virtual search for you to be part of the adventure and also a chance to win your own Sony prizes.

NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries

1. Anonymous wrote: May 21, 2011 3:04am

pretty cool project. good to see Sony involved

2. Anonymous wrote: May 24, 2011 4:28am

I just read about Sony´s financial and creative problems and, after some minutes searching in the internet, I´m inclined to think that I discovered some of the major reasons for this:

First. There´s no good comunication between Sony and costumers (I mean, the “real fan” costumers). If there´s not even a way to easily send good ideas, suggestions or claims by the internet, obviously the Way of Morita is already forgotten: “Search for costumers desires and wishes even before they know what they´re looking for”. I myself am sending this message being not sure if it could be read or sent to someone that would make good use of it…!

Second. There´s no good link between Sony´s technical and executive employes. Sony´s executives insist on looking for talents and ideas outside Sony. Well, Morita was a great executive worker and a tremendous technical worker and I´m sure that, somewhere inside Sony´s industries, there is at least a small group of employes that could do the job very eficiently. “Climbing is going from the botton to the top; if someone only knows the top or the botton, he hardly will be able to understand the whole montain”.

Third. Sony executives insist´s on imitating other industries. That´s the worse problem of all. For example: If a industry completely diferent from Sony buys another one and it works, Sony executives think that the same will work for them. Sony has its own “nacionality”, “personality” and “background”: Japanese (top line products with zero problems), Inventive (creative, practical and honest, not a “business man”) and, of course, Sony has the Morita´s Way and Spirit (what means among other things the idea that: “The simple is the best, the best is the simple”)

These problems are all conected and they can be easily fixed. Why easily? Because “returning home” is easier than “leaving home”! I´m a Morita and Sony entusiast and I hope that Sony will soon be on top again! Oh, and sorry about the bad english…!

Sincerely,
    Ricardo H. S. Matsumoto

3. Anonymous wrote: May 31, 2011 5:43am

Hi. I wanted to enter the Project Shiphunt contest without playing the game. There has been an option for the past few weeks, but now when you click on sweepstakes, you just get an error that says try again. Can you please forward this to whomever is your web creator? Thank you for your time.

4. Anonymous wrote: June 2, 2011 12:37pm

I received an email the contest (http://discover.sonystyle.com/shiphunt/)was extended until 6/6/11, however the site isn’t operating properly. Can’t navigate on the game, just displays the google earth from a distance and get an error when I hit the sweepstakes entry button. There is also no sweepstakes link at the beginning of the game anymore. Is the site down?

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 8, 2011 10:47am

Thanks for your note. I’m I am forwarding your feedback. Can you send screenshots of what you’re experiencing so we can see the messages you’re receiving? Thanks for your help.

5. Anonymous wrote: June 5, 2011 9:37am

why i can t play oceans of treasure with my sony vaio x64 now .with a week ago i played but now i receive a mss that only with x34

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 8, 2011 10:44am

I’ll let the team know that you’ve had some issues. Any message in particular you’re seeing? Can you send me a screen shot?

6. Anonymous wrote: June 17, 2011 10:51pm

About 3 days back when I played, everytime at the end of the 5 minutes I could post the things found to the facebook. Now no matter what I try, different PCs, browsers, the ‘Post to Facebook’ option at the end just freezes the game’s main area and doesn’t post anything. I am afraid, if I really find something good, I will have no proof to post!
    Thanks,
    @Chailinz

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 19, 2011 9:04pm

Making note of your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. I haven’t heard of this issue before… but I’ll certainly keep an eye out.