Press Room

Improve your pics with tips from Digital Days photography workshops

by Team Sony 03/08/2011

Did you know having two points of contact with your camera will minimize the chance of a blurry picture? What about one way to try and stop your shots from looking blown out is to dial down the exposure compensation? You’ve heard the phrase “knowledge is power”, right?

I only recently became a DSLR user so there is a fine line between the excitement of a new toy and the frustration of not really knowing how to get the most out of it. This weekend I packed up my Sony® a33 camera and joined a group of about 100 photography enthusiasts at Digital Days in San Diego. Digital Days is a traveling photo workshop sponsored by Sony for all levels of photographers to learn more about cameras, no matter what the manufacturer, and get tips from professionals.

The sessions are geared at building your digital photography foundation and were just the kind of knowledge I needed to feel empowered vs frustrated. The sessions range from understanding techniques and terms to exploring scene and manual modes, to understanding things like ISO and depth of field and more. New this year was a workshop for anyone interested in exploring basic video production too.

On of my favorite parts of the weekend was the live model shoot where we got a chance to practice what we learned with a number of models. It included wardrobe changes and varying background colors, jugglers to practice capturing motion, and then there was the ultimate “everyday” challenge, a birthday cake full of candles in a dark room. The instructors Leslie Fisher, Phil Mistry, Mark Reis and special guest Andy Katz were close at hand to provide quick feedback and tips. You can see how I did from my Flickr album from the model shoot.

The Digital Days series travels around the country to 18 cities every year “unraveling the mysteries of digital technology and photography”. The next workshop is Los Angeles but you can see the entire list of cities and sign up on the Digital Days website. Sony Fans get a 30% discount, just use the promo code: SONYSTYLE30. If you have a Sony camera and want to connect with knowledgeable experts who are passionate about photography, it’s a great resource. It’s also a great way to meet other local photo enthusiasts and Sony camera owners. Also, Digital Days is on Facebook so hit their like button and see photos taken by other attendees.

1. Anonymous wrote: March 8, 2011 12:46pm

Incredible. Love the photo shoot, but will comment on the individual pics there :-)

1. Sukhjit wrote: March 8, 2011 1:48pm

Hi There! Thanks for the comment and will look for your comments on my photos too. I have to tell you, I already know I have a lot of room for improvement!

2. Anonymous wrote: March 8, 2011 1:59pm

I attended to this two days workshop, and I fully recommend it! The knowledge provided helped to get the most of my camera. The team of Digital Days is so kind and professional. Sony provided a lot of great gifts. We had the chance to do a model shoot and was great! If this workshop comes to your city… Don’t miss it!!! You won’t regret!

1. Sukhjit wrote: March 8, 2011 10:35pm

Hi there! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment here! Were you in the class in San Diego? I talked to a number of people there and so many of them were return customers. I think it has a lot to do with the Team. Phil, Leslie and Mark were so passionate and knowledgeable – it really was a great way to spend my weekend. Glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks again for the comment!

3. Anonymous wrote: March 8, 2011 2:00pm

Done! You may recognize me :-)
    Were those all the pictures you took, or did you filter some out from your uploads?
    Also, you are already where I want to be when it comes to capturing the emotions in people. Some of the pictures were incredible, especially the girl lighting the candles on the cake. (It didnt hurt that she was really pretty too ;-)

1. Sukhjit wrote: March 8, 2011 10:31pm

Thank you thank you thank you! Yes, nice to see your comment here and your feedback on my pics in Flickr! You have a lot of different names online. I keep it simple – sukhjit, everywhere!.

So, yes, I did filter some photos out. I actually was thinking I could edit out about 60% more! I have a lot to learn not just about settings on the camera but also in composition. It was great practice. I’ll probably go back again next year.

1. Anonymous wrote: March 8, 2011 11:45pm

yeah, I used to be zoxcleb everywhere, then i changed my mind somewhere down the line.
        Thanks for admitting to not uploading everything! Most ppl deny it :-) More than the settings, I feel composition is what really takes practice, and reflects the photographer. Settings, are important too, but that can come out of a book, the composition is what shows the world what you saw. I’m rambling, I know, but thats the way I look at it.

Look forward to more work from your new DSLR, so far, I think its awesome!

4. Anonymous wrote: March 27, 2012 11:12am

I know I am writing on a year old post, but do you have discount code for 2012 too? Digital Days are here again. Excited as we just bought a Sony NEX-5N!