Everyone has Sony Walkman player story, don’t they?

by Team Sony 10/25/2010

By now you’ve heard the news. Sony Walkman player, the cassette tape version that reminds just about everyone of younger days, won’t be sold in Japan anymore. I’ve sat here following the story as it’s been shared on major news sites as well as smaller technology blogs and on micro sites. It seems as though news about Walkman players creates some great passion around the globe. Before anyone gets too teary eyed, you should know that although the cassette Walkman players won’t be available in Japan, they are still being manufactured and sold in markets like the US, where there is still demand.

The “Walkman” name has evolved over the years and is found throughout Sony’s MP3 Player lineup. The W Series Walkman player is just one example. It’s an wire-free, water resistant (and yes, sweat resistant too) digital music player that is a and favorite among  runners, athletes and fitness enthusiasts across the globe.

We know many of you, as we do, have a special place in your heart for the World’s first portable music player.  If this news shook you out of your typical Monday and made you think of simpler times when a Sony Walkman made you feel like to coolest kid on the block, then I hope you’ll share your story.  My first Walkman player got me some hot water. It was the pre teen beginnings of me getting in trouble for not listening to my parents (Sorry Mom and Dad, it’s because I couldn’t hear you!).

So, what’s your Sony Walkman player story?

1. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 2:42am

I’ve still got a cassette, CD (D50 mk1) and MD Walkmans

Glad my 25 year old Walkman is still going strong (and gets used). See my livng Sony archive at: http://j.mp/bzT2sy

You lost me when the iPhone arrived but when that dies I’ll be looking at a Sony Droid or Windows phone before going Apple again

2. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 8:25am

Got my 1st Walkman in the early 80′s, along with Michael Jackson’s Thriller album. I sat outside listening to that record over and over and over. My mom had long since called my brothers and I in for dinner…missed it! Fell asleep with the head phones on. As the story goes, my dad scooped me up and carried me to bed, leaving the MJ cassette + Walkman behind. I startled myself awake in the early a.m. looked around my room, wondering how I got there; then sprinted outside, to my delight, the morning mist was the only thing that touched my new toy!!

3. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 8:42am

I was sitting by the pool at the apartment I lived in during the summer of 1980 here in sunny Los Angeles and across the way I see a Japanese girl with headphones on that caught my audiophile attention, so I go over to her and strike up a conversation regarding what she was listening to, well, she was listening to J-pop and asked me to have a listen, I said sure and the rest as they say is history..

We got married and this coming December we’ll have been together for some 30 years…we don’t have the Walkman anymore but I’m sure we could find it on our next vacation in Japan to see her family…but we still have 2 mini disk players that after 10 years are still working…Thanks Sony.

4. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 10:10am

My father brought me my first walkman from Japan, later on he brought me the walk CD, I have good memories of them..

When I started a pirate station I used 8 walkmans that played music 24/7 automaticly (using a watch and some electronics)

The police took them one day…

5. Ray Hartjen wrote: October 26, 2010 10:43am

The Walkman was the best for listening to guitar riffs over and over again, trying to nail it as I played along. Let me tell you, when your guitar idol is EVH, that required/requires a lot of rewinding! The Walkman save my parents and sister a lot of torture :).

Still rocking with the NWZ-A818 and downloads from Napster – never leave home without it :)

6. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 11:17am

Got first Walkman in mid-’90s; followed that up with model that
    had TV & weather bands, which came in handy during the day power
    was out due to Hurricane Opal; they’ll still be needed since I
    have lots of cassettes (like “a story of my life in sound”).

Now I have a Walkman mp3 player, which goes wherever I go, following in the traveling tradition of the two cassette players!

7. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 11:19am

The W series Walkman was my very first Sony product. It was my cousin’s old Walkman. It is still working today and the sound quality is still amazing. I’ve owned several different Walkman models in the from S2 Sports NetMD Player, NW-HD1 (the very first digital Walkman), NW-A3000, and the most recent NW-A829. Thanks Sony for all your brilliant products.

Sony Make, I believe

8. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 11:53am

I have
    Walkman Casette and FM Player,
    CD Player and Sony Ericsson
    W995 Walkman mobile phone.

9. Doris Calvert wrote: October 26, 2010 12:55pm

My first Sony Walkman was the very first Red cassette one and they were all the rage and i was one of the first of my friends to have one and boy were they great!! We had a walk called Miles for Millions were money is raised for those less fortunate it was 26 miles and i was 13 years old and walked it all with my walkman. My friends only made it til mile 10 and 18 so, the last 8 miles it was just me and my walkman, guess what i still have it!! Forgot all about it til this contest now i am going to have to look for it because i still have cassettes. Old habits die hard!! Thanks for the memories!

10. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 12:56pm

Wow! I remember my first Walkman with the standard headphones LOL – rocking my high-tops and bright coloured multi-coloured clothing doing the running man to RUN DMC, MC Hammer LOL – good times good times!

11. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 1:41pm

Yes, the walkman always excellent, from listening to my mom’s Michael Jackson tapes, to listening to my Tupac CDs, to listening to Jay-Z on my first MP3 player, the name Walkman is synonymous with both music and the digital age.

12. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 11:42pm

no comparison with sound like sony walkman

13. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2010 4:10am

Sony WALKMAN for life! give us a sony android walkman player for gods sake. Walkman can beat the ipod in sales.

1. Sukhjit wrote: December 1, 2010 2:48pm

Android! I’m a fan as well. Thanks for the feedback.

14. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2010 2:56pm

Now that the Walkman has been discontinued, there is a real need for a large digital player for audiobooks designed for senior citizens who have problems with their sight, hearing, and have poor coordination. Audiobooks are the main source of entertainment for my 90-year-old mother, and and for many other senior citizens or adults with other disabilities. This player should be large sized, easy to hold, have big buttons, and have voice-over controls so the user can easily navigate to new books or new chapters. It should have comfortable headphones that could be adjusted for people with hearing problems and should be designed so that it automatically starts up where it left off after the user turned the machine off. It should be easily loaded and preprogrammed so that the caregiver can enter the audiobooks in advance for the user. The iPods, MP3 players and other devices are designed for youngsters who run or walk, and who can see the tiny controls. We will not all be young forever and we need to realize that there is a market amongst the older set, and our parents. Any ideas?

1. Sukhjit wrote: December 1, 2010 2:47pm

This is great feedback, thank you very much. I haven’t seen a device like what you describe… though it sounds like one that would be very useful to many folks. By the way, I have to correct you.. the Walkman has not been discontinued and here in the US, the tape Walkman is still sold.

15. Anonymous wrote: October 30, 2010 7:29am

Oh wow! Last time I used one was when I was told to do dishes.
    It used to get real quiet and I’d want something to listen to, so I brought my walkman, mom came home while I listened so Men in Black soundtrack. Mom kept saying “Hello? Hello?” She got mad at me for not responding, my Walkman got trashed.

1. Sukhjit wrote: December 1, 2010 2:43pm

Oh no! Trashed!?

16. Anonymous wrote: October 30, 2010 7:36am

Walkman is the best music player ever , my first mp3 walkman is nwd i think with 50hours battrey .
    I dont know why sony wont try to face the ipod . No good ads exipt japan , the accseswarys the mad for ipod , why not the walkman ?

1. Sukhjit wrote: December 1, 2010 2:44pm

Thanks for being a fan! I’m not sure I understand your note… what is nwd?

17. Anonymous wrote: February 23, 2011 12:54pm

I am definitely a fan of the W Series player! I got mine in December and have not used any other MP3 player to run since. I was amazed at how it stayed in place! I blogged about it on my site (A Case of the Runs) and am trying to get a giveaway set up. I would seriously recommend that all runners who like to run to music try this…

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 23, 2011 1:25pm

Will you send us a link to your blog post? Would love to see it. Also, are you on Twitter? You can send the link to @sukhjit or @SonyElectronics.

Thanks for sharing your story!