VAIO Refreshes Line for Winter Season

by Gina 09/26/2010

It’s not just new winter coats you’re seeing this fall hit store shelves. Today, the Sony VAIO® division has released a variety of updated models in preparation of this holiday season. Available today on SonyStyle.com, this fall’s update reveals not only new CPU options but a few other enhancements.
Here’s the latest and greatest to share…

New Options for VAIO EB/EA/EC Series laptops:

Over the last 6 months, the VAIO E series have been continuing to impress with the launch of a variety of color options, screen sizes and colorized accessories. Last week you saw the VAIO E Series deliver with the return of the extremely popular and requested purple model option. Formally called “Passion Purple, we’ve already seen a lot of props from our fans on Facebook. Once again the VAIO EB/EA/EC series made its mark in our latest round of announcements by providing new CPU options.

Now the pre-built and customized models include the just released Intel® CPUs , the Ci5-580 and Ci5-460M,for those looking for more performance, and also a new Pentium™ processor for those looking for an even more affordable option. Another new addition is the option of 1GB graphics card for EA and EB (EC already had it), which is something we’ve heard several requests for. Additionally the EB/EC models also have added full HD display options for the first time. Oh and if you didn’t already draw a giant heart in your binder with “VAIO E series” inside, the Sony Style team is offering a free full HD upgrade on all brand new customized EB & EC laptops (while supplies last and offer ends on 10/9/10)
Return of the Blu-ray Disc Reader/Writer Drive to the L Series:

When the series was first introduced in October 2009, it included the options for a Blu-ray Reader and writer optical drive. Quickly selling out, the team has been championing its return based on your feedback and now it’s here. Today’s release includes a new VAIO L All-in-One touch screen computer which not only includes this Blu-ray option but also includes a massive 2 Terabyte hard drive for super storage along with Quad Core™ processing, TV tuner and other options that make me ever-so-jealous of the people now snagging this model.

New for VAIO F series:

New graphics card – NVIDIA ® GeForce GT 425M graphics card with 1GB of video RAM, an upgrade from the 330M predecessor. Great for gaming of course. Also the new F series has a USB 3.0 port, the latest USB data transfer technology which means super fast file transfers from your external hard drive or digital camera.

Now the question on everyone’s mind (by reading the comments on your older signature collection posts) is will we be announcing another Signature Collection? The answer is 100% yes and I can tell you that it is coming next month. As the Signature Collection is known for either releasing uber models or models with unique and sophisticated designs, next month’s announcement will no exception, Keep watching the blog for news and if you have any guesses on what you think will be included in the upcoming season’s line, I’m all ears :-)

1. Anonymous wrote: September 26, 2010 1:21pm

Aloha!

Great to hear about all the new upgrades.

I am looking forward to the F-series and maybe a Carbon fiber signature.

I wonder if the F-series would also benefit via a free HD upgrade?

I am also counting on a student/teacher discount; it is not currently reflected in the new F-series customize price.

Congrats on the upgrade and this useful blog!

Mahalo! =)

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 7:53am

Aloha guest! Thanks for posting & thanks for the kudos. I’m also checking on the education store to see if the new F series will be added :) Thanks again!

1. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 10:13pm

Aloha!

Thanks for replying.

I have been checking the Education site but no discounts yet.

Almost five years back, I bought a Sony Made-In-Japan laptop for US$2500.

I hope the HD screen would come free like the other series and that TransferJet would come standard.

Looking Forward!

Sony Fan

2. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2010 11:53am

I bought the FW version from 2 years ago with the 1920×1080 screen and I’m definitely thinking about getting the New F series and I also feel that their should be a special in which the 1920×1080 screen is offered for free and have a good student discount.

Having an option to upgrade to the new GTX470M graphics card a solid state Drive would also be good.

1. Gina wrote: October 5, 2010 8:16am

Hey Guest – thanks for the feedback. I’m passing this along to the VAIO team. Appreciate you posting!

2. Benson Hendrix wrote: September 26, 2010 3:12pm

The E Series has a full 1080 HD screen now? And a pumped up graphics card? Wow! That’s looking like quite the tasty affordable video editing machine there! Awesome!

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 7:42am

Hey Benson, thanks! Yeah for basic editing, etc. it’s awesome. For the more pro photographer for example though, I’d still recommend the F but the E is Waaayyy on the top of my holiday list this year. I like the custom options and with the addition of full HD…very happy.

3. Anonymous wrote: September 26, 2010 5:31pm

I quote literally just bought a F series laptop which still has the order processing currently. Had I known an upgrade would be available and I could get USB 3.0 as well as the upgrade to the nvidia 425M. I would have got the full HD screen on the F series laptop and went for the higher graphics card.

I feel a bit ripped off now knowing this is now available.

1. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 7:37am

To Anonymous who just bought VAIO F: just return your notebook within 30 days and you don’t have to feel ripped off and end up with a newer model. Not a big deal. If you bought it from SonyStyle.com, there are no restocking fees either…

2. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 7:54am

Hi Guest – Did you purchase at SonyStyle.com? Feel free to email me at sonystyleblog@am.sony.com with the deets. Thanks for posting.

4. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 3:32am

Well, if not anything else, most probably the new series would be vaio D !

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 7:56am

LOL :-) Great comment! Thanks for posting.

5. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 6:25am

Guess new series will have 3D? ;)

Good to read about the upgrade for the F-series by the way, not sure graphics will be a big improvement but still it’s welcome ofcourse. But for now I will remain happy with my F12Z, which was expensive enough with an SSD :P

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 7:41am

Thanks for posting guest! And happy you like your F12Z – by chance are you a gamer? :-)

6. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 9:36am

Any signs of an updated Z series? Would like one with USB 3.0 built-in and it would be nice if the Full HD & blu-ray option dropped in price too.

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 4:11pm

We’ll have news next month on our Signature Collection but keep the guesses coming :-)

1. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 11:38am

Engadget reported the updated machine today but no news on USB 3.0. A little confused about what’s going on.

7. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 11:02am

Fantastic! Can’t wait to see what the Z refresh looks like. Question – is everything ordered from your online store shipped from San Diego? I’m local and am curious. Thanks!

1. Gina wrote: September 30, 2010 9:18am

Hi Guest, Thanks for reaching out.

It actually depends on the computer and time it was purchased/ordered. From Summer 2010, we began shipping some customized computers directly from Japan and China as well as San Diego, CA.

Then this fall (Fall 2010) all customized computers ordered are shipped directly from Japan or China

Pre-built VAIOs ship out of our US warehouses (various locations)

I hope that info was helpful! Thx again.

8. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 11:18am

The Upgrade of Graphics card etc in F series is great, but why did we have to limit the processors in EA & EB series to 2.4Ghz? I remember it was 2.53 Ghz previously…
    This turns power mongerers away from EA & EB series…

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 4:06pm

Hi Guest, I have good news. With this new release as of yesterday (9/26), we just launched 3 additional processors for EA/EB/EC up to 2.66 GHz. I hope this info is helpful! Thanks again.

9. Anonymous wrote: September 27, 2010 10:11pm

where can i get this vaio f in Namibia?

1. Gina wrote: September 30, 2010 9:20am

Hi Guest, thanks for posting and glad you’re a fan. I wish I knew the answer to that but each region is different. As this is the US blog, unfortunately I don’t have any info but I’d recommend reaching out to your local retailers directly. I hope this info is helpful. Thanks again!

10. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 1:16am

Hello,

when will we get USB 3.0 in the Z-series? (And perhaps also an extra USB port…)

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 10:57am

Hi Guest – good feedback. We currently don’t offer that in the Z but I’m passing your request onto the VAIO Team. Thanks for posting!

11. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 4:06am

I wonder why there is no core i7 for the EC and No backlit keyboard options? Plus with the F being so nice why no color options for the F/EC other than silver and black. By the way does the EC series come in The glossy black or deep black? Or is it more charcoal looking like F series. In the pix it looks definitely black and I am already looking to purchase after the core i5 580m upgrade.I hope I can get it in regular deep black with the glossy palm rest. I just hope if I do they don’t come out with the core i7 version a month later….lol

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 10:59am

Hi Guest, all great questions. EC black is actually the same color as the EB/EA Gunmetal Black w/ glossy black palm rest. Hope that’s helpful :) In terms of additional color options and Ci7, I’m passing those requests onto the VAIO team for future consideration. Thanks for sharing the feedback! Appreciate it.

12. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 9:32am

Hi all. I’m a (very happy) owner of a Vaio 16.3″ series I purchased 2 years ago, and I’m waiting for the right time to get an upgrade. The single one complaint I’ve always had with that computer is that it doesn’t have an LED display. I bought a 14 inch for my wife by the same time and it has simply the single best display I’ve always seen on a computer. I’m pretty anxious to get a new Vaio either 15 or 16 inch with a full HD LED display. The Z has it for quite a while, but the 13 inch is really not a great form for my needs. I’ve seen from the past hours news that sony will deploy the full HD option for many models, but I still wonder if the LED full HD is finally coming available for either the F or any 14-15 inch model. It’s about time Sony, your LED is great, make it available for the full lineup!!!

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:12am

Hey Guest, first off, thanks for being such a fan and thrilled to hear you’ve enjoyed your VAIO. Appreciate the support – based on what you described you need, I’d recommend also checking out the VAIO EB series. It’s customizable in terms of specs but has a 15.5″ screen along with options for a full HD display. Hope that info is helpful and happy typing!

13. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 10:04am

I already have a Sony VAIO laptop but I am wondering where my Sony VAIO is? Sony can make a great powerful tablets that can do everything a iPad can. Sony can make the tablets have a color option since every tablet I seen has been black or white. Come on Sony. I need a VAIO tablet. Please also include verizon 3g internet and the ability to create a hot spot would kill the comeptition.

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:16am

Thanks for being such a fan! I’ll definitely pass your feedback onto the team! Thanks for posting.

14. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2010 6:24pm

Thank you very much Gina for the great news

I am looking forward to the new F-series signature edition :)

Do you have any idea about exact release date? and price range?

Thanks again and have a nice day.

1. Gina wrote: September 30, 2010 9:22am

Hi Guest, No info yet on Signature models/pricing/exact release date but I do know that you can expect Signature to make its fall/winter debut sometime in Oct. Keep an eye out on the blog for more news. I’ll be sure to share as soon as we get info.

Thanks again!

15. Gina wrote: September 30, 2010 9:25am

@Anonymous Posted: 9/29/2010 11:38
    ** Our F new series has the UBB 3.0 Hope that helps clarify! Thanks :-)

16. Anonymous wrote: September 30, 2010 2:02pm

Hey Gina. I’ve been digging some detail from the sonystyle website and so far i understood the following:

The EB and EC have the option of full HD and are both LED backlit;
    The F has an option for full HD but is still NOT LED backlit;

And the EA doesn’t have the full HD option

Is the F still not LED backlit or I missed something?
    Thanks

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:18am

Hi Guest – good homework :-) You’re right on all of this info. Regarding the F though with LED backlit request, if that is something you’d like to see, I’d be happy to pass the feedback onto the VAIO team. Thanks for posting and nice work!

1. Anonymous wrote: October 19, 2010 9:46pm

I hope the drawbacks of a non-backlit LCD screen is not so different from the rest. If so, spending $1,600 for my dream machine would not seem quite as worth it.

Also Gina, any news on the student/teacher discount?

Please get back to me or I would have to consider other laptops with Black Friday coming up.

Mahalo!

17. Anonymous wrote: September 30, 2010 2:06pm

I am desperate for a touchscreen Vaio laptop, in anything but black. I keep hunting everywhere for any information on when or if this is in the works. Please let me know when or if I can expect such a thing any time soon.

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:20am

Hey Guest, We don’t offer this but we do have our all-in-one touchscreen desktops. I am an owner of a VAIO L and can’t say enough about it. A great computer. I hope that info is helpful and I’ll definitely pass your feedback to the team. Thanks for posting!

18. Anonymous wrote: October 1, 2010 7:14pm

loved the vaio tz line… been waiting for them to updated the line…but where did it go? did sony totally discontinue it? or is something coming out and i need to wait a few weeks??

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:24am

Hi Guest. I’ve seen refurb TZ computers in the Sony Outlet once in a while so I’ll keep an eye out for ya for sure. But regarding the TZ itself, were you a fan of that series because it was a fully functional PC at only 11” (w/ optical drive & full-powered processor)? The reason I ask is b/c although we don’t have a direct successor, we do have some other options similar to the TZ:

If size is important, the X is an even more portable option at 11” but much thinner and lighter than TZ. It’s got an Atom-based processor so not as powerful and no optical drive built in. If you’re looking for a full-function business/mobile PC, the Z is also very light & portable at 13.1”, and it’s significantly more powerful than the TZ was. I hope this is helpful. Thanks for posting.

19. Anonymous wrote: October 2, 2010 12:47pm

I’ve been looking at the EA series for a long time and just haven’t pulled the trigger. But now when I select the CTO model, Intel Wireless Display is no longer an option. Will this be something that is an option in the near future? I know there are pre-configured options with it, but we need it to come with Windows 7 Pro. Also, are there any plans to release a laptop with Intel Wireless Display that also utilizes NVIDIA technology to use discrete graphics when the wireless display is not in use?

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 12:29pm

Hi Guest, thanks for posting & I’ve got good news. Good news is that all EA models sold at SonyStyle (excluding those with non-Intel graphics, 2GB RAM, or Pentium processor) come pre-installed with Intel wireless display software. To activate the Wireless display functionality, you’ll need to purchase the Netgear Push2TV adapter separately. Below is the link. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666214653&tab=featuresTab

I’m sorry this isn’t currently messaged clearly but we’re working on that as we speak. Appreciate you bringing that up. Regarding the NVIDIA tech comment, we currently don’t offer this but passing your feedback onto the VAIO team. Thanks again for posting and hope this info was helpful.

20. Anonymous wrote: October 2, 2010 7:27pm

When will the EC have more colors? Will it ever have a core i7 processor option? Will the 1080 display options be available even after the sale? Can we expect a backlit keyboard? I definitely want to buy the EC series. Also I heard sony could be discontinuing the EC model, is that true?????

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:36am

Hi Guest, thanks for posting. 1080 will still be offered after the sale and the EC series won’t be discontinued anytime in the near future. I’m also passing your feedback for a backlit keyboard and more color options onto the VAIO team. Appreciate the feedback! Hope this is helpful and thanks again.

21. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2010 1:48am

I want fast AMD/ATI Cards on F models. I don’t like Nvidia and it’s the reason I don’t by Sony. We should have the choice.

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:27am

Hi Guest, great feedback & I’ll pass this along. Appreciate you sharing.

22. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2010 7:47am

Thank you Sony for continuing to make one of the worst functioning laptops I have ever purchased. You have ultimately steered me clear of purchased almost anything Sony again after purchasing a Vaio.

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:28am

23. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2010 10:02am

Do I get a Sony Rewards Card or what?

1. Gina wrote: October 5, 2010 8:15am

Hi Guest, No need for a card. You can purchase from SonyStyle.com using a credit card or PayPal. Hope this is helpful!

24. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2010 10:05am

How do I order stuff without a card. I’ve been a customer for a while and I still have no card. Are they suppose to send me one or not?

1. Gina wrote: October 5, 2010 8:14am

Hi Guest,
      On SonyStyle.com, you can use credit card or PayPal. I hope this info is helpful! Thanks for stopping by.

25. Anonymous wrote: October 10, 2010 10:17pm

Does the VAIO Y Series still exist? Retail stores are still selling the Core i3 models. I noticed Sony’s website is no longer selling them as of 10/10/10. Are they discontinued or being refreshed? If they are being refreshed, when can I expect the new models to come out? Thanks!

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:38am

Hi Guest, we do still offer the Y series and there’s a new Y model as part of our Holiday 2010 Signature Collection. http://bit.ly/ayJ47L
      Regarding in-store availability, can you let me know where your local store is? Happy to check for ya. Thanks for posting & hope that info is helpful!

26. Anonymous wrote: October 12, 2010 10:35am

Is Sony going to put full HD on the EA series? I love the addition of the 1GB graphics card available, but I’d like to get the full HD on the 14″ computer.

1. Gina wrote: October 12, 2010 11:39am

Hi Guest, we currently don’t offer this but I’m passing your feedback onto the VAIO team directly. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the feedback!

27. Gina wrote: October 25, 2010 11:48am

Hey Guest 10/19/2010
    Yes! Thanks again for asking about this. This was an oversight & we are working on getting it added to the Education Store shortly. I apologize for the delay but wanted to post when it was up :-) Stay tuned and when its live, I’ll be sure to let you know!

1. Michel Salim wrote: October 26, 2010 12:28pm

Hi Gina,

The Vaio Y on offer in Europe seems to have a higher serial number (Y22 instead of Y21), and they have the full range of color schemes while the USA store only has black, silver and sangria red. Is Y22 a newer lineup, and is the USA store getting rid of older inventory?

Also, in the screenshots on the USA store, the silver model has a pale gray keyboard, while in the EU stores, the silver model comes with a more attractive black keyboard. Why the difference?

Thanks!

2. Anonymous wrote: October 30, 2010 10:27am

Aloha Gina,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I hope the Education Store comes up soon.

I just hope that I am not missing out on the F-series’s lack of a back-lit screen; I would immediately order one.

Here is also wishing that November’s offers will include a free HD screen update.

Mahalo!

Guest 10/19 now 10/30

28. Anonymous wrote: November 8, 2010 1:40pm

Aloha Gina,

Any updates on the education site?

I’ve been researching the backlit LED.

Is it true that F-series sold in Europe and Asia have a better Matte screen than the ones sold in America?

As far as review sites are concerned, Sony F-series laptop have only one flaw: the non-backlit LED screen, can the wonderful Sony tech people fix this?

I am hoping to spend less than the $1579 for the VPCF13AFX/B.

The customized version of the VPCF13AFX/B is $1604 but I am hoping for at least a 10% discount to take it down below $1500.

Mahalo!

*I was hoping for a reply to my previous comment (10/30)

1. Gina wrote: November 22, 2010 3:42pm

Hi Guest – I have an update. :-) The F is now added to the Education site. We were not able to bring the EU F screen to the US but I did pass that feedback along with your other feedback along. Thanks again!

29. Anonymous wrote: November 25, 2010 12:14pm

Come one sony make a better laptop, vaio F s**ks compared to HP ENVY 17 3D

- make a better luxury simple design with very good quality materials
    - add HD webcam
    - add 2 HDD
    - make the dvd to like on HP ENVY 17 3D

30. Anonymous wrote: November 25, 2010 5:52pm

please add HD webcam

31. Anonymous wrote: November 26, 2010 4:25am

Please add HD webcam on F series

32. Anonymous wrote: November 27, 2010 3:58am

Please add two HDDs to sony vaio F

33. Anonymous wrote: March 18, 2011 2:52am

i love sony

34. Anonymous wrote: July 12, 2011 11:19am

Wow.. I love the purple E series. Pity the pink is gone though

1. Gina wrote: July 12, 2011 12:16pm

Hey thanks. I like the purple too :)

35. Anonymous wrote: December 31, 2011 1:26am

VAIO white – why on earth did you put the mouse pad off to the left, centered on keyboard, instead of central to the screen?

36. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2012 3:27am

I love purple…as almost all that i have in ma house is of purple..my mobile(nokia e72),its cover,ma other accessories etc…and nw as i ws searching for a purple colour laptop..i have found it…even though it is nt of the same purple..i am happy with this… :)

btw..can u pls let me knw how much does it cost in UAE ???

Thnku :)