Backstage Quick Tip #83: Using Intel Wireless Display

by Team Sony 09/14/2010

Editor’s Note: Backstage Technicians are here to help and in this ongoing series, they’ll offer me their favorite tips and provide answers to some of the most common service related questions they hear at both the call center and in Sony Style Stores.

I often find myself with something on my laptop that just has to be shared with whoever is in the room with me.  Be it photos from the weekend or a recent vacation, a hilarious video clip or an online show to a favorite song or playlist for a party – sometimes huddling around my laptop just won’t due.  But digging behind my HDTV every time I want to connect my laptop to a TV or home theater system can be time consuming and frustrating.  Because of that we recently started offering a simple solution on select VAIO PCs  - Intel Wireless Display.

Intel Wireless Display is extremely easy to setup and use and  allows you to wirelessly stream content from your laptop (both audio and video) to any display in your home or office.

What do you need?  A compatible VAIO PC and an Intel Wireless Display Adapter for your TV*.  That’s it!

Check out Sukhjit’s how-to video below for setup details and to see the technology in action.  And if you’re curious to know if you’re VAIO includes Intel Wireless Display technology, simply select Start and type “Intel Wireless Display”.  If the Intel program appears in the search results you’re in luck!  If you need more help uncovering whether your PC is compatible or how to set up the feature, don’t hesitate to drop us a line below.  If you have Intel Wireless Display let us know how  you use it.  What do you like most about it or what would you change?

P.S. Thanks to Conner VanderBeek and Zack Iscoff for the background music played in this video!  You can find more from them here.

*Intel Wireless Display requires the NETGEAR® PTV1000 Push2TV Wireless TV Adapter (sold separately) and TV with HDMI™ or Composite AV input.  Content requiring output protection (Blu-ray Disc and DVD movie playback) is not supported.  720p (max.) output.  Image quality may vary.

1. Jennifer Young-Boyd wrote: September 17, 2010 2:34pm

What a great way to share content from laptop to television. Looks easy to use via your tutorial.

2. Anonymous wrote: September 18, 2010 3:13pm

i have a vaio vgn-nw350f i dont see intel wireless display on here am i out of luck or is this a software thing with an adapter curently using a 65 ft hdmi cable

1. Michael wrote: September 21, 2010 9:14am

Good question – unfortunately, I’m sorry to say, Intel Wireless Display is not available as a software download. It’s a unique feature that’s built into compatible laptops. I hope that helps and thanks for reading!

3. Anonymous wrote: September 22, 2010 6:04am

Does the content displayed also include sound?

1. Michael wrote: September 22, 2010 9:30am

Good question! It does. Intel Wireless Display streams both audio and video.

4. Anonymous wrote: September 23, 2010 12:45pm

I use sony vaio NW series. Does my PC have the intel wireless display

1. Michael wrote: September 24, 2010 9:29am

Hi there – thanks for your question. Unfortunately, your NW Series does not include Intel Wireless Display.

Intel Wireless Display is a new technology that launched after the NW Series debuted. Luckily though, there are other ways to wirelessly stream content to your HDTV but they just aren’t as easy.

Check out this short article from PC World. It’s a little old but still very relevant and offers a good basic overview of your options. I hope this helps.

Mostly importantly, thanks for reading and we sincerely appreciate your business – I hope you’re enjoying your NW Series!

2. Anonymous wrote: August 3, 2012 3:07am

My first laptop, so I relaly can only compare it with my desktop, which isn’t fair to either. So far very quick and relatively easy to use, although the installed Windows 7 takes getting used to and have used a. mouse rather than the touchpad. This model has a relatively short battery life, which is not a factor for me as I usually am plugged in.. Not crazy about all the Best Buy and Toshiba propoganda and have installed systems other than those provided. Ask me again in a year or two.

1. Kathleen wrote: August 3, 2012 12:41pm

Thanks for reading! Always appreciate the feedback.

5. Anonymous wrote: September 28, 2010 5:56pm

I have a vaio vpcy2190x. Can I connect wirelessly to a TV? Does it have Intel wireless technology?

1. Michael wrote: October 22, 2010 9:04am

Unfortunately your model does not include Intel Wireless Display technology.

6. Anonymous wrote: October 7, 2010 3:21am

I use sony vaio vpceb15fm series. Does my PC have the intel wireless display.

1. Michael wrote: October 22, 2010 9:06am

Unfortunately not – I’m sorry.

7. Anonymous wrote: October 7, 2010 6:48am

i have a vpcz1- does that have wireless to connect to new sony tv?

1. Michael wrote: October 22, 2010 8:59am

Hi there. As with most other commenters on this story, Unfortunately, your Z Series does not include Intel Wireless Display.

Intel Wireless technology is more than just software. It requires specific hardware and software that has to be built into your PC. So it’s not something you can just download.
      There are other ways to stream content from your PC to your TV. Check out this short articlefrom PC World. It’s a little old but still very relevant and offers a good basic overview of your options. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your business – I hope you’re enjoying your Z!

8. Anonymous wrote: October 7, 2010 1:55pm

I have a Model VPCCW27FX and would like to know if it is compatable with the Netgear Push2TV wireless adapter. The “Intel Wireless Display” does not appear in the start menu.

1. Michael wrote: October 22, 2010 8:51am

Hi there! Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, your CW Series does not include Intel Wireless Display.

Intel Wireless Display is a new technology that launched after the CW Series debuted and requires specific hardware and software – so unfortunately it’s not a program you can download. Luckily though, there are other ways to wirelessly stream content to your HDTV but they just aren’t as easy at Intel Wireless Display.

9. Anonymous wrote: November 14, 2010 12:52pm

I just recently bought Sony Laptop..VGN-NW310F..and and Sony HDTV….what model Sony Laptop has the Intel Wireless Display…

1. Anonymous wrote: December 9, 2010 3:43am

I have a sony vaio jseries all in one intel core i7 which is
      under 6 months old.
      I typed in intel wireless display but it found no program.
      Does this mean I cannot use the netgear push2tv adapter

10. Anonymous wrote: December 4, 2010 2:24pm

I have a Vaio Model # VPCF126FM. Checking to see if it is compatible with Intel Wireless Technology????

Thanks in advance.
    Mick

11. Anonymous wrote: December 4, 2010 5:25pm

I just got a pop up stating I have Intel wireless display but can’t find it.
    Please tell me where to get it.
    I have a Vaio Model PCG-81114L

12. Anonymous wrote: December 9, 2010 9:18am

I received a message thru Vaio Messenger saying my computer has the Intel Wireless Technology feature and provided a link to this article. I bought my VPCF121FX a couple months ago and was excited to hear I could do this. BUT… now as far as I can tell my computer does NOT have this feature. And in reading all the comments left for this article it seems very few do have this feature.

I don’t mind you telling me about a cool new technology but leading me on to think it is included in the laptop I just bought is not fair.

13. Anonymous wrote: December 11, 2010 4:55am

do i have to have a sony tv to be able to do this? or can any othertv do itto

14. Anonymous wrote: December 14, 2010 6:34am

The only reason I would consider the adapter is DVD and Blueray

15. Anonymous wrote: December 21, 2010 7:09pm

Sony has messed up their own upgrade specification for the supporting laptop model. They are not willing to fix anything to bring back the Intel Wireless Display. The repair can easily be replacing the graphic card with the help from BackStage. But, customer/tech/relation numbers that I called only told me the only option is to return.

16. Anonymous wrote: December 27, 2010 9:43am

I have a Vaio PCG-81114L. The Vaio messenger app that came preinstalled says that “Your PC includes Intel Wireless Display technology…”, however I do not see “Intel Wireless Display” in the search results when I type it in on the start menu.

17. Anonymous wrote: December 28, 2010 4:35pm

I just got a new Vaio VPCEB3BFX. I called both the sony store where is was purchased and the help number on the sonystyle website and was told my computer does have wireless display. I have been unable to confirm this. Does my computer have wireless display?

18. Anonymous wrote: December 30, 2010 7:16am

I have a Sony Vaio VPCZ1. How can I have Intel wireless display?

19. Anonymous wrote: June 5, 2011 12:47am

I have Sony Bravia 46NX810 which has integrated wireless adapter. I bought a laptop with Wireleass display capability. Can I use the wireless display without Push2TV adapter since my TV itself has integrated wireless adapter? If yes, please advise how to do it.

1. Michael wrote: June 15, 2011 2:48pm

Hi there – great question! Unfortunately, I believe you’re confusing the TV’s wireless networking (or Wi-Fi) feature and the Wireless Display dongle that’s required to stream content from your PC to your TV. The built-in Wi-Fi feature you’re referring to connects your TV to the internet for content, etc. The Wireless Display adapter is a separate connection/technology. You definitely need to purchase the dongle to enjoy this feature on your PC and TV.

Hope this helps and thanks for reading!

20. Anonymous wrote: August 11, 2011 7:20pm

I have the Sony Vaio VPCCB190X. If it does not have the Intel Wifi Adapter, can it be added to the system. If that is possible where do I obtain one.

21. Kishore wrote: October 8, 2011 5:09pm

Hi,
    I am having difficulties to make my KDL46nx810 tv recognize Netgear push2tv ptv1000. I am wondering if Sony supports netgear wireless display adapter at all. Did anyone use ptv1000 with 46nx810 tv?

22. Anonymous wrote: June 14, 2012 8:01pm

Hi,
    Could you please let me know whether my Sony Vaio VPC-CB4Z1E/B is compatible with Intel’s Wireless Display and if so how to set up the feature. Thank you in advance for your support.
    Brgds,
    Peter

1. Sarah wrote: June 15, 2012 2:16pm

Hello Peter,
      Good afternoon! Please call VAIO support at 888-476-76972 for assistance with this question. Have a great day!

Best Regards,
      Sarah Kepler

23. Bill Orlove wrote: July 27, 2013 1:50pm

I have an F series vaio laptop with the i7 processor. According to intel, it has WIDI. WIDI only works with intel graphics board which my series F has (centrino 6150) yet my F series has the NVIDIA 540m graphics. So my question is: how do I turn off the nvidea and enable the centrino so I can get widi working? I would like to be able to toggle between the nvidia and centrino graphics. If possible.