3D BRAVIA TVs Now At Sony Style

by Gina 06/09/2010

I answer 3D questions daily on our 3D experience website. The most common two questions I get are “When can I buy one?” and “how much are they?” – I am beyond excited to say that I  have the highly anticipated answers to share.

Today Sony announced that its 3D capable BRAVIA HDTVs are now available on SonyStyle.com.  These models are available for pre-sale on SonyStyle.com set to ship to homes early next month. Now for those soccer fans out there, I say not to worry. We have select models available in our Sony Style stores across the US + the 46″ BRAVIA HX800 Series 3DTV online  beginning today so fans can catch all the 3D action in time for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™  s in South Africa (broadcasted in 3D).

The first of the 3D models are the LX900 series. Models come with a FULL HD (1920x1080p) LCD with Edge LED backlight display. The LX900 features the chic Monolithic Design (you can learn more about the unique design here), includes 2 pairs of active shutter glasses and has full integrated HD 3D technology. This series includes incorporated Motionflow™ PRO 240Hz technology for smooth motion viewing (especially great in high action scenes), integrated Wi-Fi® wireless network capabilities (802.11), BRAVIA Engine™ 3, and USB/DNLA photo/music/video playback. It also boasts an Intelligent Presence Sensor which detects motion in the room which helps the environment and our wallets. Screen sizes range from 40-60 inches (diagonal) and start at around $4,000.

Next up is the XBR- HX909.  Featuring the new Monolithic design, the XBR-HX909 is capable of 3D viewing with the addition of Sony’s active shutter glasses and sync transmitter (sold separately); about a $200 investment (excl tax). The glasses are available on Sony Style for about $150 along with the emitter ($50). Newest among the XBR family, the HX909 incorporated Intelligent Dynamic (local dimming) full array LED backlighting which improves contrast and dynamic range by local dimming that controls LED backlight level by area. This way detail is maintained in the dark areas and other areas are driven to near peak brightness. Intelligent Dynamic LED backlighting also reduces unnecessary light emissions, creating deep blacks vs. conventional LED backlit displays. Other features include: Motionflow™ PRO 240Hz Technology, USB Wireless-LAN adapter ready for easy wireless network connection (adapter sold separately), OptiContrast™ panel, BRAVIA® Internet Video, BRAVIA Engine™ 3 with Intelligent Image Enhancer, along with USB and DLNA® photo/music/video playback. Offered in 52 and 46 inch (diagonal) screen sizes, the HX-909 starts at about $3,500.

The HX800 Series is also 3D ready (meaning glasses and sync transmitter are sold separately). Ranging in sizes from 40 inches to 55 inches (diagonal), this model starts at about $2,100. For those die hard soccer fans out there or those looking to be one of the first to brag about Sony 3D in the home, very limited quantities of the 46 inch and 55 inch HX800 series models are available now at your local Sony Style store. Features include: a Dynamic Edge LED backlight display, Motionflow™ PRO 240Hz Technology, USB Wireless-LAN adapter (adapter sold separately), BRAVIA® Internet Video, BRAVIA Engine™ 3, along with USB and DLNA® photo/music/video playback.

In addition to playing back those new 3DHD Blu-ray Disc movies and video games you’ve been longing for, the new LX900 and HX909 and HX800 HDTVs can create a simulated 3D image from a standard 2D movie or TV show, giving you maximum viewing flexibility.

These TVs are also capable of playing back standard and HD content/programming you currently enjoy today. It is important to note that any content that isn’t native 3D (so up-converted from 2D to 3D) is good but it’s like sugar substitute good. Good but never as great as the real thing.

If you own a PlayStation®3 and are planning on buying a 3DTV, then you will be able to watch 3D content on your TV capable of 3D playback through your PS3™. The current plan is to offer PlayStation 3 owners two separate firmware updates.The first firmware update is available now and enables 3D gaming, followed by another firmware update to enable 3D Blu-ray Disc™ playback which is expected this fall. For those who own our 3D ready Blu-ray Disc Player or Home Theater models, you can now access your firmware to enable 3D playback.

So I guess the big question is “What about content?”. Well, for folks who purchase and register one of these new TVs, they’ll receive the mother load of 3D freebies including a copy of Sony Picture Animation’s Blu-ray 3D title, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”, the Blu-ray 3D title “Deep Sea” and online voucher codes for new Stereoscopic 3D games for PlayStation 3 from the PlayStation®Network including full game downloads for WipeOut HD, SuperStardust, a partial game for PAIN and the demo for MotorStorm (Pacific Rift). 3D gaming is here! Plus, I’ve got news to share there. Today, Sony is hosting a 3D event at Sony Pictures in Culver city where our unique end-to-end 3D platform will be presented by key Sony executives across electronics, games and movies. To get live updates from the event, you can follow @SonyElectronics on Twitter. And don’t worry. If you’re like me and can only spare a few minutes cruising Twitter before you boss starts to give you bad looks, we’ll post a wrap up here on the Sony blog tomorrow.

If you haven’t yet tried Sony 3D, its definitely worth a spin and you’ve got other questions about 3D, don’t be shy. That’s what we’re here for and feel free to ask your question by posting a comment.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 9, 2010 9:01pm

When will these be available outside of the US?

1. Gina wrote: June 9, 2010 9:07pm

Hi Guest, Thanks for posting. Is there a particular location you were curious about? Exact dates differ so want to make sure I direct you to the right place based on where. Thanks!

2. Anonymous wrote: June 9, 2010 11:52pm

How about Brazil? When Sony will release here? I want play some 3D games on my PS3 :)

1. Gina wrote: June 10, 2010 12:03am

I know! I can’t wait either. I found the Sony Brazil 3D website – let me know if this helps!
      and below is a link to Sony Style Brazil (contact info at bottom)

Thanks for coming by and hope this info is helpful :-)

3. Robert Gelb wrote: June 10, 2010 12:03am

Hello SONY cant wait too see the 3D!

1. Gina wrote: June 10, 2010 12:05am

Hi Robert – thanks for coming by! It’s a blast. I checked out Sony3D at the Sony Style store – the polar bear piece is amazing. It looked like you were in the water. If you get a TV or happen upon a store to test drive one, I’d love to hear what you think. Thanks again for stopping by :-)

4. Anonymous wrote: June 10, 2010 6:26am

How can we watch the FIFA World Cup once we I get my 3D tv…Does it come with online stream or cable provider? Thanks in advance. J.C.

1. Gina wrote: June 10, 2010 10:22pm

Hey Guest, ESPN3D is the channel offering about 25 FIFA games in 3D. I would definitely contact your local cable provider to find out if they carry this channel as local areas might differ. Just a few geeky things to keep in mind. If you have an old cable box, let your cable provider know (to make sure that you have a box compatible). Also 3D broadcast is transmitted via HDMI only so be sure that your box is connected to your TV this way. And if you plan to get an HDMI cable, I’d recommend a High Speed one. hope that helps and happy viewing.

5. Rajesh Panamadom wrote: June 10, 2010 4:56pm

wowww………come on…….3D BRAVIA…….

1. Gina wrote: June 12, 2010 2:30pm

:-)

6. Anonymous wrote: June 10, 2010 6:17pm

Sony, when are you putting out a firmware update to make the Bravia XBR9 3D capable? The XBR9 is capable of doing 3D as shown by Sony itself. Check out the pictures in this link from last fall that show the XBR9 running 3D: http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/sony-bravia-3d-tv-first-impressions-631220
    I have links to other videos and pictures showing the XBR9 demonostrating 3D so PLEASE Sony don’t let me and other XBR9 owners down.

JD

1. Gina wrote: June 10, 2010 10:29pm

Hey JD – My guess based on the link is that the images are from IFA or CEDIA last yr? That image isn’t of an XBR9 actually (although looks similar). It’s an old prototype where our engineers in Japan took a model similar to the XBR9 and used it as a shell basically. They had developed the hardware for 3D and replaced the circuitry, again using that model as basically a shell. Which comes to the other question you had. Because additional processing/hardware is required within the TV which includes hardware capable of displaying the left and right images in proper sequence (along with the IR transmitter that’s needed to sync the glasses to the content on the screen)- the XBR9 will not playback 3D content. I hope that helps clarify!

7. Alex Moore wrote: June 10, 2010 10:23pm

Can I buy the emitter and glasses for use with my PS3 for use with other TVs or is it limited to only Sony brand TVs. Does 3D ready mean it is merely able to process the 3D signal to output to the emitter? I dont understand why this is required if you can plug the emitter in into a 3D capable bluray player, the TV is only displaying a flashing image, the glasses and emitter do all the work.

1. Gina wrote: June 12, 2010 12:04am

Hi Alex, I can help explain. As long as your 3DTV is compliant with industry specs, it should be compatible with your PS3 (post firmware update) so you don’t need a Sony 3D HDTV to play 3D games, etc, through your PS3. But you will need whatever is required by that brand 3DTV to view 3D content (their glasses, etc.). You’ll want to reach out to that manufacturer for those deets.

Sony’s 3D sync transmitter and glasses only work with Sony 3D HDTVs. The transmitter works with the TV and not a PS3 or Blu-ray. Here’s how it works: Processing/hardware is contained in the 3DTVs which includes hardware capable of displaying the left and right images in proper sequence. The sync trasmitter syncs the glasses to the content on the TV screen. Here’s where the glasses come in. Put your hand on your left eye. Now put your hand over your right eye. Now do that super fast. This is what the active shutter glasses are doing but at a superhuman speed. Instead of splitting the resolution of a single frame between the left and right eye, we’re sending an entire frame to your left eye and an entire frame to your right eye. We do this so we can give all the resolution and image quality to the receiving eye, creating that high definition, clear 3D image. In order to do this, the TV has to tell the glasses (through the sync transmitter) to block one eye so you don’t see the frame meant for the correct eye. Again though, its the TV doing this and not the PS3 or Blu-ray disc player. Hope that info helps.

8. Anonymous wrote: June 11, 2010 4:35am

Will the HX909 pair with a metallic stand like the NX series?

1. Gina wrote: June 15, 2010 12:02am

Hi Guest, it will :-) Not the same one but pretty similar. These will be offered like the NX as accessories. Hope that info helps! Thanks for asking – great question :-)

9. Anonymous wrote: June 12, 2010 2:50am

I have the complete 3D set up; Samsung TV, IR transmitter, stereoscopic glasses, the works. I downloaded the Super Stardust 3D demo and pushed the 3D button but I can’t get a 3D image. Is there a patch somewhere on the PSN or Playstation Store that I have to download?

1. Gina wrote: June 12, 2010 2:29pm

Hi Guest,

There is a PS3 update here: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm
      The best I can offer is reaching out to your TV manufacturer for 3D playback support. I also listed PlayStation’s support here:
      Let me know how it goes!

10. Anonymous wrote: June 13, 2010 3:58am

what has happened to P&P (twinview)? I can’t see buying a large screen set without it. I have an 50″SXRD XBR1 and use it all the time. I don’t understand why Sony has stopped providing it since the xbr8.

11. Lu Garcia wrote: June 13, 2010 8:26pm

i don’t have a 3D TV and i can’t buy one because i’m from Argentina and there aren’t any 3D TV’s and i want one so i can play in 3D

1. Gina wrote: June 14, 2010 8:59pm

Hi Lu, I’ll be sending all my positive thoughts that our TVs come your way! :-) I can’t wait for 3D game play too! Thanks for posting.

12. Anonymous wrote: June 19, 2010 11:55am

HI, IN THE UK THE SONY SITE SHOWS THE NEW LX IN THE METAL BAR STAND SHOWN WITH THE NX SERIES. WILL IT FIT IN THIS STAND ? OR HAVE THEY GOT IT WRONG ?

1. Gina wrote: July 21, 2010 9:35pm

Hi Guest, wanted to make sure I got back to you on this one. The NX stand is not a supported stand for the LX series. I hope that info helps :-)

13. Anonymous wrote: July 13, 2010 5:12am

When I purchased my KDL-46XBR9, the store I purchased it from said that it was a 3d capable tv, just not 3d ready and that a firmware update plus the purchase of glasses and sync bar would make it a 3d ready tv. The update was supposed to be available this summer. Is this true or was I lied too? I got my tv in February and paid nearly $3,000 under the belief I was getting new technology, 3d capable technology. Did I waste my money on an oudated tv?

1. Gina wrote: July 21, 2010 9:37pm

Hi Guest,
      Because additional processing/hardware is required within the TV which includes hardware capable of displaying the left and right images in proper sequence (along with the IR transmitter that’s needed to sync the glasses to the content on the screen)- your current Sony Bravia TV will not playback 3D content. Although the Bravia TV you currently own is not able to playback 3D content, we have three series out related to 3D. The first is the Bravia LX900 Series which has integrated full HD 3D technology. The others series are the HX900 & HX800 series which is full HD ready technology (emitter and glasses sold separately). Below is a link to info on these models.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId= 1&categoryId=8198552921644726498&default_filters=3d|ready_3d~3d|integrated_3d&default_form=EXPLORE#filterAnchor

I hope this info is helpful but it sounds like the news is definitely a bummer. I’d love to learn more about where you purchased that TV so I can look into things for ya. could you email me some additional info ? (sonystyleblog@am.sony.com)

14. Anonymous wrote: July 15, 2010 1:42pm

SONY you done it agian thanks. my story is that i was saving for the 60LX903 £3.499.99. as we have been told but now on the sony website it now £4.499.99. what a joke i was £500 away from my mark now im £1500. well sony you ent getin a penny i was so upset over a tv but its something i was working hard to get but you have taken that from me i feel a fool having 2 bravia Tvs and 2 playstation3 and top end camera. from you. how can you do that every website says sony have give dates and price. whats it going to be next week £5.499.99

1. Gina wrote: July 21, 2010 9:41pm

Hi Guest,

It looks like you’re referring to a store in the UK? Unfortunately as things differ regionally, I don’t have any info but although this is the US site, I want to make sure we look into things for ya. I am working on getting your feedback sent directly to the UK team :-) Thanks for posting!

2. Anonymous wrote: December 19, 2012 5:37pm

I went with this to replace my old Samsung LCD. The piuctre quality is absolutely amazing. I tested it with 2 different movies, Avatar and Up. I was blown away. You know that feeling you get whenever you buy something new and it’s better than you even imagined? That’s what I feel about this TV. Even my wife who seems to be affected by the Amish gene (cares nothing about new technology) was awed by the quality. If you’re buying a new TV and trying to decide between the Bravia or Samsung take my advice and get the Sony Bravia. You won’t be disappointed.

15. Anonymous wrote: July 24, 2010 5:07pm

I went to best buy today and the sony 3d tv aren’t that bright compared to samsung 3d tv.

1. Anonymous wrote: July 31, 2010 4:25pm

Just bought one. 3d is superior to samsung 3d led. Color is set to store display default (much brighter when you set it up for home). Very nice tv period

16. Anonymous wrote: September 14, 2010 1:42pm

Is this deal still on? Pasted from above… Well, for folks who purchase and register one of these new TVs, they’ll receive the mother load of 3D freebies including a copy of Sony Picture Animation’s Blu-ray 3D title, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”, the Blu-ray 3D title “Deep Sea” and online voucher codes for new Stereoscopic 3D games for PlayStation 3 from the PlayStation®Network including full game downloads for WipeOut HD, SuperStardust, a partial game for PAIN and the demo for MotorStorm (Pacific Rift). 3D gaming is here!

17. Anonymous wrote: December 26, 2010 1:51am

What is the difference between 3D ready and 3D capable

18. Anonymous wrote: April 16, 2011 6:13am

By way of reading 3D TV reviews, you familiarize your self of what to explore and what to expect from the television. It also consists of wireless adapter and this acts as the medium in order for the user to connect and access the internet. It has Net Service that allows you to simply browse on the web via the television. Now you are able to check your email, share with friends, connect and even chat with them with out turning on your personal computers. You are able to get pleasure from all of these activities on a wide and large screen so every detail is not overlooked. This model also consists of the video processor which offers an ability to boost the level of graduation and this gives the user with smoother, vivid and sharp image displays.