Television meets the Internet, Sony Internet TV with Google TV

by Team Sony 05/20/2010

For months, technology blogs and news sites have been speculating about a television from Sony that could enhance your TV experience with the power of the Internet. Today Sony Corporation’s Chairman, President and CEO, Sir Howard Stringer along with partners from Google and Intel announced just such a set at a press conference at Google I/O, the official Google developer conference in San Francisco.

“The combination of Sony’s industry-leading product design, engineering and development expertise with the flexibility and growth potential of Google’s innovative, open-source Android platform will provide consumers with a world of new and exciting Internet user experiences.” said Stringer.

For the first time, consumers will be able to access the entire web just as easily as they can on a computer, using the Android based Google TV Platform. Imagine easily browsing for and watching the latest YouTube video on your television or chatting with faraway friends on your social networks while watching the season finale of your favorite TV show.

The lineup, which will be available first in the US this fall, will feature a standalone TV and a set top box Blu-ray player that would add the features to an existing TV. If you’re not convinced this is something for you, here’s a breakdown of the benefits of television meeting the internet:

An HDTV that searches. The Sony Internet TV makes searching for content faster and simpler than ever before. Looking for a channel, show, or website, will be easier than ever.

An HDTV that’s smart. Access to the ever growing library of Web content lets you customize your experience and automatic upgrades help keep the software powering your Sony Internet TV is up to date.

An HDTV that’s powerful. Imagine the performance with Intel Inside®. The Sony Internet TV has enough processing power to easily load sites and stream videos, while a wireless handheld QWERTY remote will make navigation simple.

For the latest information on Sony Internet TV with Google, look at Sony.com/InternetTV. And last, a note to developers, you can start building websites and apps enhanced for the TV! Find more information from the Sony Developer www.sonydeveloper.com.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 5:44pm

I hope this is incorporated into the PS3.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 6:36pm

Oh god.. I hope it’s NOT incorporate with a PS3. Worst machine out there. I also hope they leave memory stick behind too. Sony needs to start fresh.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 7:01pm

Don’t be a moron. It doesn’t matter what you think of the PS3, incorporating this new feature into the PS3 is an absolute win for all it’s users. I for one hope that they do. It would make the PS3 one step close to doing everything!

1. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 9:56pm

except backwards compatibility…

2. Dylan Hicks wrote: May 20, 2010 7:47pm

THey should incorporate it with the PS3 it would be great.. Why should sony start fresh?? They are doing great! Look at sales of the Ps3 only 5000 units behind the xbox 360.. and their new panorama cameras??? Their Tvs are top notch and their sound systems are awesome too? SO why would they need to start fresh??

2. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 7:29pm

Whoever said PS3 is the worst machine out there is simply delusional. What’s better, XBOX? Riiight. That’s why you probably sent yours back 5 times to be fixed for RROD. I really hope it IS incorporated into the PS3..I will definitely make use of it, because it probably works better than this crappy DirectTV DVR that hasn’t worked right since I got it=P

2. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 10:15pm

Got to give props there it due
    but bring google chrome to ps3 that would be sound

3. Steve Anson wrote: May 21, 2010 3:08am

Very exciting! I just got a new Sony LED LCD (KDL-52EX701) so I’ll look forward to this. Hopefully, my PS3 will update for this just as it will be doing for 3D Blu-ray.

4. Anonymous wrote: May 21, 2010 12:24pm

I like to watch my expensive TV because it is in HD. Until “Goose” (Google + Sony = Goose) will also offer hi-def I won’t be excited about it

5. Anonymous wrote: May 21, 2010 6:09pm

Please read a little more about it. It’s streaming content from Youtube, Netflix, and major cable networks. All of those has AT LEAST 720p HD capabilities.

6. Anonymous wrote: May 23, 2010 12:51am

Google TV is not going to save Sony. Other companies will put android and atom into their TVs very soon and beat Sony…..again!

Sony does not have superior hardwares anymore. 2010 new Bravias are rubbish. C8000 from Samsung is 100 times better than LX900 and LX9500 is 10000 times better than LX900.

Howard Stringer is destroying Sony.

7. Bert Craig wrote: May 24, 2010 6:52pm

8. Anonymous wrote: May 25, 2010 4:11pm

Products from some of my favorite companies!
    I can’t wait to see these TVs.
    Please bring back the Triluminos LED backlighting though, this edge lit stuff is garbage compared to the XBR8 series.

1. david wrote: February 24, 2013 10:40pm

i work in satellite communications…. i see 10 to 20 different tvs everyday… sony has the best quality out there… my only complaint would be the pricing because there are a few brands that are cheaper and have very good picture quality but these tvs lack input ports and functionality. sony is my favorite brand because they simply last longer… almost as good as the old solid state devices… love my google tv… my only complaint… havent found a way to video chat yet… and my 5u remote doesnt have a mic like the new 7u… man i want the “back to the future” tv/phone where we can get video calls from grandma… or a butt chewing from my boss and see him wagging his finger at me lol

1. david wrote: February 24, 2013 10:48pm

oh yeah… i just bought the families 3rd ps3… we have one in both kid’s rooms and mine is in the living room… xbox blows… we have a 360 but no one uses it… the ps3 eyes are great we can talk while playing games without a headset…. ps3 is the best console i’ve ever owned…. sony is the s@!t….!!!!

1. david wrote: February 24, 2013 10:55pm

one last thing…. google is my favorite company of all time…. even more than sony…. they have saved our space program and have made it far less expensive to do so much more in space… they have teamed up with a company called deep space exploration…. nerds like me are going to get to use space drones to mine asteroids… this is a wonderful time to live in….

9. Anonymous wrote: May 25, 2010 8:55pm

very successful thanks

10. Anonymous wrote: June 17, 2010 7:58pm

this is what i needed man

11. Anonymous wrote: June 17, 2010 8:09pm

okay.. this post made me thinking

12. Anonymous wrote: August 3, 2010 7:16pm

This is nice one about the internet TV on computer. As the news what about sony internet tv merge with Google TV, it is nice one, these are positive symptoms of increasing popularity of the internet live TV. Enjoy it. http://liveinternettelevision.net

13. Anonymous wrote: August 21, 2010 10:11am

awesome post. . . .

14. Anonymous wrote: September 6, 2010 2:50am

will Google TV work with any existing Sony BDP players? or does it require a new hardware?

15. Anonymous wrote: September 8, 2010 1:56pm Reply
  16. Anonymous wrote: October 7, 2010 3:46am

I managed to have a quick chat with Johan Janssens, pozycjonowanie stron, 406,

17. Anonymous wrote: October 26, 2010 7:18pm

It needs to also have a second “basic feature” remote control to satisy family members that are not so technical. Also, Will these models come with 3D?

18. Anonymous wrote: October 27, 2010 4:28pm

there has always been ways to get internet on your television. this is not something to invest in.

19. free tattoo stencils wrote: January 9, 2011 7:36pm

You got some excellent ideas there. I did a research on the problem and learnt most peoples will agree in your blog. In case you are an experienced traveler, you’ll be able to know the ins and outs of travel to all parts with the world, and you’ll be able to have very particular ideas about what you need to determine and in which you need to go.

20. Anonymous wrote: January 10, 2011 11:36am

No real informative docs for a none techy. Could sure use more information.

21. Said Graciano wrote: February 16, 2011 7:29am

wow that would really be so nice to have a internet ready tv

22. Anonymous wrote: March 4, 2011 6:54pm

Very cool read, almost mind blowing some of the ideas in there. Like another comment read try and provide a few more details as its a very interesting subject.

23. Anonymous wrote: March 15, 2011 3:13am

I think that’s the great idea coming true. We hope to see some more mind boggling ideas coming true.

David
    Email Addresses

24. Metadhia Kurniaty Eddy wrote: March 23, 2011 4:45am

well, how a great combination, everyone need to connected with the internet while they watching TV, this is awesome, i relly need this cool stuff on my bedroom :D

1. Sukhjit wrote: March 23, 2011 9:41am

Thanks for the awesome comment Metadhia! I agree, but even beyond having the internet while on TV, I’m finding I love to use it for watching my favorite web shows and YouTube videos. Take care!

25. Anonymous wrote: March 27, 2011 9:11am

Great read, really enjoyed it. The pace that most of the technology is moving at now is really incredible, Sony has always been a top of the line brand but with google its scary what they could come up with. My only complaint about sony products is we had to replace our xl2400 lamp and get a new one. Other than that they’re very durable.

26. Anonymous wrote: June 15, 2011 1:41am

I like Sony TVs (I own some). I also like the idea of “GoogleTV”, and I’d buy a Sony InternetTV. What’s holding me back is the fact that the replacement cycle for my TVs is FAR longer than my phone/computer… you may not like it, but let’s face it, I’m not going to buy a new TV every year-and-a-half. So I’m worried that the current hardware will be deprecated in a few years.
    I don’t think the blu-ray player is the good solution, either. I like my TV to work independently.
    So here is a suggestion on how to make a killer internet tv (IMO): Put all the required/typical accessories (IR receiver for the remote control (*), wifi, maybe even some storage) inside the TV itself. But don’t build in the processor/memory!! Instead, make a sort of “replaceable drawer” on the side of the TV, where you put the CPU, GPU, memory, maybe even some flash/hdd storage – on short, all the parts that I may want to upgrade. It’s no rocket science, desktop computers do this for quite a while. You can sell this “TV motherboard” very cheaply (Apple TV is $100, so this “replaceable drawer” could presumably have a similar price), and I’d rest assured that my 1000$ tv won’t become obsolete in a few months (I don’t trust you to be able to keep doing software upgrades on old hardware; sorry, but I don’t :) ).
    Best of both worlds: my TV now continues to be an elegant piece of furniture, AND I am sure that I’ll be able to easily upgrade it as technology improves.

(*) Oh, btw, forget the fancy remote controls. Give me a basic remote, that makes TV navigation easy even if internet navigation is incredibly hard. Then provide software to allow me to control the TV from a fancier remote control, or a smartphone, or e keyboard (any Bluetooth keyboard should do!). The remote is incredibly useful for turning the volume up/down in the dark, without looking at it. Make it small & easy to use in this scenario. Then enable me to use other accessories to search/browse… but keep my remote control simple/small! After all, an “internet TV” is still primarily a TV, don’t forget that. Don’t mess up the primary usecase just to enable other usecases.