Press Room

Sneak Peek: New Sony Camcorder in Development

by Team Sony 05/11/2010

Drum roll please. This video is a very early look at a AVCHD high definition camcorder featuring an interchangeable lens system still in development at Sony. The details are few, but we can tell you it will be equipped with the same “Exmor” APS HD CMOS sensor used in Sony’s newest digital still cameras, models NEX-5 and NEX-3.

In addition, the camcorder will be compatible with “E Mount” interchangeable lenses developed for NEX-5 and NEX-3, and also the wealth of “A Mount” interchangeable lenses from the existing “α” DSLR camera lineup via a mount adapter.

Look for this new HD camcorder later this fall.

Interchangeable Lens HD Camcorder

Conceptual Mock-up of the Full-HD Camcorder under Development

1. Anonymous wrote: May 11, 2010 2:59pm

on the off chance i will be able to afford this, do you have any idea of cost?

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 12, 2010 11:00pm

Hey Anonymous with the question about pricing… we don’t have pricing info just yet but when we do, that info will be posted here on the blog! Thanks for the comment!

2. Sukhjit Ghag wrote: May 14, 2010 11:51pm

Just got a minor update and wanted to pass this along, I still don’t have exact pricing, but the camera will fall into the higher end in the consumer camcorder segment. We’ll make sure to update you as there is more info available.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 18, 2010 4:20pm

Will there be a professional series?

2. Anonymous wrote: May 11, 2010 3:59pm

will sony be making lens .

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 14, 2010 11:55pm

Hey Anonymous — hope you see this message! The answer to your question is yes. Sony will be making lenses for this camera.

3. Anonymous wrote: May 11, 2010 5:31pm

This is really exciting! Am hoping for utilization of the maximum AVCHD bitrate, and compatibility with Sony’s current proprietary accessories included the hotshoe and remote control ports currently on Sony’s camcorder product line.

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 14, 2010 11:56pm

Fantastic to see your excitement! Thank you so much for leaving a comment! We can’t wait to tell you more!

4. Bradley Manning ッ wrote: May 11, 2010 9:47pm

I want this camera!

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 14, 2010 11:58pm

Bradley! Awesome to see you. Thanks a million for leaving a comment.

5. Anonymous wrote: May 11, 2010 9:55pm

if they are serious about this they should

1) Enable at least 35mbps or higher AVCHD

2) Put in a genlock

The reason for genlock is from the look of the form factor of the camera above it looks great as a platform for a 3D rig. genlock would be needed for professional sync.

At the very least it should at least retain Lanc protocol.

All the best!

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 15, 2010 12:05am

Thanks for the feedback “anonymous” :) I don’t have much more info for you on this camera yet, but I am looking forward to hearing what you think once you are actually able to try it. Will pass your feedback on to the team.

6. Anonymous wrote: May 11, 2010 11:19pm

Please allow use of 35mm manual focus still lenses (nikon, canon, minolta) through use of adapters like the GH1.

1. Kevin Barrett wrote: May 17, 2010 8:26pm

Here here! With an 18mm flange distance and a 46mm wide throat, nearly every lens ever made should be adaptable to this system, including Leica M mount (take that, Panasonic!).

Just try to find a mount that can’t be adapted.

7. Anonymous wrote: May 12, 2010 9:37am

Please include a mic jack for the use of an external mic

8. Anonymous wrote: May 12, 2010 2:46pm

This looks fantastic! I would love to leverage my Alpha lenses with this camera!

9. Anonymous wrote: May 12, 2010 11:46pm

Please make sure it is moire-free and you have a winner.

The NX-5 video sample I checked out on Dpreview.com is not moire-free at all, so I am a little worried about the picture quality here since it sounds like a similar sensor.

We’d need 23.976 progressive of course. Higher frame rates would be great. 3D genlock or some kind of “3D link” that keeps the two cameras settings in sync would be fantastic.

Best of luck!

Bruce Allen

10. Anonymous wrote: May 13, 2010 4:42pm

I wonder how this will compare with an Exmor R sensor in low light?

I’m also concerned about the balance of this. I can’t imagine using this with my 24-70 or other long lenses with this form factor. All the Ziess lenses are heaving. Isn’t that why the pro models are longer?

Is this supposed to be the a700 replacement? I’m looking forward to a new camera form factor with live view that will live up to my lenses. I’m considering the 850 but would really like Live View and better low light performance like Nikon. If this is the same sensor as the a550 I’d get that instead and stick with my xr550v for low light video.

1. Kevin Barrett wrote: May 17, 2010 4:19pm

“I wonder how this will compare with an Exmor R sensor in low light?”

The individual pixels on this sensor have an area more than ten times greater than those on the Exmor R back-lit sensor. The production NEX cameras have sensitivity settings two stops higher than those of the Exmor R sensor cameras. A dedicated HD camcorder should have an even greater advantage, with output requiring less than a quarter of the resolution of the 14.2MP sensor.

11. Anonymous wrote: May 14, 2010 5:08am

Finally a pro level interchangeable lens hd camcorder that won’t break my back.

12. Amit Zinman wrote: May 14, 2010 8:00am

My next camera!

13. Anonymous wrote: May 14, 2010 2:14pm

Ditto the worries on camera balance here. And support for the weight of the lens. It looks like the lens may outweigh the camera.

14. Anonymous wrote: May 14, 2010 4:15pm

Why would Sony waste it’s R&D on a dying product? the camcorder in this price range is a dead end. It’s all moving towards the mutifaceted still camera/movie recorder.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 1:31am

You may be seeing the future splitting them back off. This may be why Sony hasn’t put video in their DSLR’s. Just a thought. I read that in pro photography magazine’s last issue – that is what may happen in the future. I for one am ready for this camera.

15. Anonymous wrote: May 14, 2010 5:18pm

I was hoping for a pro sized camera with the style and size of the JVC 700 with Sony electronics. Still holding my breath..

16. Anonymous wrote: May 15, 2010 2:27pm

It will be ausome if this camcorder can do “B” work for the EX1R I just got. I have the Sony alpha system with a lot of lenses. Please make this baby good in low light. I am saving already for it!!!

17. Anonymous wrote: May 17, 2010 1:22pm

Hi !
    Awesome camera. When will it be available? Any idea? and will it have 3D possibilities?
    Regards, Dr. Hak

18. Kevin Barrett wrote: May 17, 2010 4:02pm

That’s cool, looks like you guys need some moderation.

19. Anonymous wrote: May 18, 2010 4:17pm

When can we look at seeing these? Any price estimates?

20. Anonymous wrote: May 18, 2010 4:21pm

I write with great dissatisfaction in the durability of the sony vaio VGN-FW590FVB. It has not been 4 months since my purchase and already the power adapter has failed and I have lost access to all my office data. Sony’s after sales service and support is terrible. I have requested a warranty part replacement over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive it. Customer service has recently asked that I wait another week to receive the part which by the way has to be sent to a US address and then mailed to me in the Caribbean where I live. Therefore if I’m lucky I would receive the replacement part a whole month after the issue was first reported. Where as Sony’s so-called policy on warranties are 3-5 business days. Anyone wanting a sony vaio should consider a more reliable brand with a more reliable customer service team…

21. Anonymous wrote: May 18, 2010 8:27pm

Is this camcorder compatible with the Camcist Aiming Device?

22. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2010 1:38am

I am hoping you can pull high quality stills from the footage. More than2 or 3 megapixels please! I know you can take stills and video with a DSLR but we still need to be able to pull stills from the footage. Think of what doors that would open for weddings! Think about it Sony.

23. Anonymous wrote: May 23, 2010 1:11am

1. Please bundle the Vegas studio software with the camera.
    2. In such cameras a window readout would be helpful. Small DOF isn’t helpful in every situation. window readout should mean: full sensor format (APS)ad additional crop factor 2x, user adjustable in the menue.

24. Anonymous wrote: June 2, 2010 5:52pm

I’m very excited about this camera. I was just about to dive into DSLRs, but this is really what I’ve been waiting for. For me, this camera will spend most of it’s time on a tripod, but it would be nice to have is a detachable top handle. The NEX-5 will make a nice complement to this camera too.

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 12, 2010 1:31am

Thanks for the comment “Anonymous”. Yes, this camcorder has generated a lot of excitement as have the new Nex cameras. Can’t wait for them to be in stores and available for people to try. The response has been good by those who have had a chance to review them. Do you have a Sony Style store near you? Perfect place to get some hands on demo time.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 13, 2010 5:27am

There is no Sony Style in Knoxville, Tennessee. You should open one here. I hope that you will let Wolf Camera carry this camera so I can try it out. That’s the only place to try out Sony cameras in the area. Best Buy has two entry level cameras by Sony but they don’t even stock the 500 or above cameras. If Sony would put their cameras out there for people to try, they would pass CANIKON!

25. Anonymous wrote: June 8, 2010 2:45pm

I just pre ordered a NEX5 . I don’t know yet which lenses I’ll be using, but I’m glad I’ll be able to use them on this camera to.
    I hope this camera will have:
    - possiblity to connect external mic
    - full manual control and dedicated buttons for iris, focus,whitebalance,shutter,nd filter,
    - other , less compressed codec than AVCHD like MPEG2
    - possibility to record to other media like ssd (then you will be able to record MPEG2 at high bitrates)

26. Anonymous wrote: June 14, 2010 11:55am

Any idea on when this camera will have a name? Knowing that would help us keep up to date when new information on it is released.

27. Shimano Multipliers wrote: June 16, 2010 10:49am

For some reason IE has difficulty showing this blog properly…not sure as to why this is occurring. Moving On, it was a amazingly interesting read, continue with fantastic work and I will come back asap.

1. Sukhjit wrote: June 16, 2010 5:54pm

Hello Shimano, thanks for the comment and the note. Yes, the camera is getting a lot of great attention. We’re excited to see all the buzz. Do you shoot video? Also, thanks for letting us know about the blog on IE. What seems to be the problem? –Sukhjit

28. Abu C3 Reel wrote: June 17, 2010 4:47am

Unlike to other ideas, greater thought through post still drag in subscribers such as me. This is my first visit to this site. I noticed lots of fascinating notions in the site especially its discussion. The many comments show I am not alone with this opinion

29. Anonymous wrote: June 21, 2010 1:19pm

I hope this camera will have:
    1) 1080 P recording
    2) full manual control
    3) external mic in
    4) 3d filming with second camera …. ?
    ….

30. Anonymous wrote: July 29, 2010 4:30pm

Why not have an XLR option as with the Sony HVR-A1E?
    Then it would be perfect! Why ‘neuter’ the camera by leaving something so important out? Videographers, semi-pros, and pros. want not just good pictures, but good audio as well. We all don’t use such camcorders as ‘second cameras’. It would be my only camcorder and I would like the audio quality to be as important as the image quality.

31. Anonymous wrote: September 3, 2010 5:55am

wow! check out the lenses on that baby! i surely wanna get rid of my old sony camcorder for this bad ass one!

1. Sukhjit wrote: September 5, 2010 9:14am

Ha! Great comment! Will you send us a note when you get the new VG-10?

32. Anonymous wrote: October 4, 2010 3:50am

33. Anonymous wrote: March 3, 2012 9:09pm

I like sony products very much