Press Room

New Sony Cameras Unveiled at PMA

by Team Sony 02/22/2010

At the Photo Marketing Association International Convention in Anaheim, California—THE event for digital camera enthusiasts –Sony introduced new and future digital imaging innovations to a standing room only crowd at our press conference. The highlight was the demonstration of the Cyber-shot TX5 which is certified waterproof, dirt proof and freeze proof. To prove it we set up an ice block, a simulated dirt storm and a fish tank of water (complete with plastic piranha) and put the TX5 through its paces.

Here’s a clip from the show which includes pro photographer and one of  Sony’s Artisan of Imagery, Brian Smith putting the camera to the test.

The energy and excitement was palpable with the introduction of Alpha concept models by head of Sony Personal Digital Imaging Business, Masahi “Tiger” Imamura. The ultra compact models have an interchangeable lens system and boast the quality of a DSLR camera in a body closer to the size of a Cyber-shot. The concept models will also shoot HD video, which is a first of it’s kind for this Sony model.

Sony intros concept model

The new concept Alpha line will have a new APS sensor called the Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor. You can hear about the new cameras, new concept lenses to match the the smaller size cameras as well as all other Alpha line announcements from PMA in the video below.

Find complete information on these as well as all of our PMA announcement on the Sony New and Information site. We are also sharing photos and updates from the show on our Facebook page

1. guest_user wrote: February 22, 2010 3:24pm

This is so awesome!! Burning Man festival participants will be very happy (among others) to have a high quality camera for all the photo opportunities that is resistant to dust and can do panoramic shots so easily. I like the idea of having a hearty camera on the go so you can focus on getting good shots rather than how to keep your delicate camera perfectly safe, clean and dry at all times.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 24, 2012 3:42am

If you have a good enough lens, then yes, but it all ddeenps on what Canon you want to compare it against.From experience on tests, [now stand by for thumbs down from all the expert (?) Canon folk] the entry level Canons are way overrated and are NOT as good as they say they are.

2. guest_user wrote: February 23, 2010 7:03pm

THAT’s what I was talking about! =D

3. guest_user wrote: February 24, 2010 12:41pm

Hello @monique and @MaryAnn, thanks for the comments and the excitement about the new cameras. Mary Ann, I think you are on to something with the TX5 and Burning Man idea!! I heard someone say the same thing at the show. Will you be going to the dessert this year? If so, you’ll have to make sure to be armed with a Sony TX5!

4. guest_user wrote: March 4, 2010 11:41am

Hello Sony. I am a dedicated alpha user and LOVE my A700. I am a NYC professional sports/event/portrait photographer. I am working toward shooting spots primarily and the A700, 50mm 1.4, 70-200G and 58 flash along with some Tamron lenses have all served me well time and time again. However working in poor lighting conditions for sports has been a struggle sometimes and if I have any complaints – autofocus and high ISO. Theses 2 issues have at times cost me some shots and frustrated me. I don’t need live view or movies – Sony please please PLEASE do your best in the A700 followup with a camera that equals or bests the competition in high ISO performance and autofocus tracking – something on par or better than the Nikon D3 would be invaluable to me. I am committed to Alpha DSLR cameras and lenses but I am getting to a point that another system would be of greater benefit to me. I like getting curious looks from other photographers and asking why I would use Sony and not Canon or Nikon. I like that people are awed by the 58 flash gun’s versatility and innovative design. I like that the name recognition and quality of Carl Zeiss is part of the Alpha identity. I like going against the grain (pun intended :)) and want to stay with my Alpha system and hope to add some of the top end Zeiss glass but I must have a camera body that will maximize my equipment. I am a bit of a purist and love the Sony Alpha / Minolta innovative approach but I don’t really spend any time in a studio and I need a camera that will work in all types of lighting and give me confidence to shoot at any ISO needed and trust that the autofocus will work with me and not hinder me. I know there are many others that feel the same. I think a lot of serious and professional photographers will give Sony Alpha more respect when the issues I have talked about go away. I love my A700 and Alpha lenses and flash but I need Sony to step up.

5. sonyman wrote: March 24, 2010 8:20pm

good call Andrew,i am also a alpha owner and would like to see better iso performance,i know sony can do it

6. guest_user wrote: April 5, 2010 7:35pm

Well as the proud owner of both eht a900 and the a700, it would be nice to understand Sony shcedule for the follow-up to the PMA announcements. I understand for business reason a precise schedule cannot be provided but I think a few gentle hints from Sony themselves might provide the faithful with some stimululation

1. Anonymous wrote: May 23, 2012 8:18pm

The brand doesn’t matter. The high end Sony leness are every bit as nice as those from Canon or Nikon. And Sony makes the sensors for Nikon cameras so the cameras are also just as nice. I use a Sony and I don’t worry about the brand on my camera. As long as it gets the job done it works for me. And remember that there are just as many, if not more, cheap Canon and Nikon leness out there.If you like the live view in your camera you will be disappointed in Canon or Nikon. Sony live view is unique.