Sony Style's Own "Cash for (Electronics) Clunkers" Program

by Gina 12/07/2009

This is active even during the holiday shopping season. Simply bring in your old, any brand-named digital cameras, cell phones, camcorders, MP3 players, notebook computers and game systems into a Sony Style retail store. An associate will evaluate the gadget and offer you a value for it. You turn in your dusty gadget in exchange for a Sony Style gift card you can use on SonyStyle.com or any Sony Style retail store.  You can even give your gift card away as a present to someone. If the item has a value of $0 associated with it, Sony Style will still take your old electronics off your hands and recycle it for free.

You can earn money this shopping season; clear your house of clutter and help the environment.

If you’re uncomfortable bringing your old gizmos into a Sony Style store there is also an online option where you can mail your products in at no cost to you for trade-in evaluation. The website includes an online evaluation tool that estimates your trade-in value so regardless, it’s a good site to check out.

To reward you for taking the time to be environmentally conscious during the holidays, there’s a special holiday bonus where you can get up to $40 in additional trade-in bonus dollars on top of the current trade-in value you receive (a $40 bonus for camcorders and $25 bonus for gaming or digital cameras).

A nice incentive to dig up those dusty electronics (or in my case just pick them off the floor) and see how you can get your own cash for “electronic” clunkers.

Now there are terms to the program and only certain products qualify so be sure to check the Trade-In Program site for more details, instructions and qualifying products.

1. Evildude wrote: December 7, 2009 2:31pm

Too Bad Is just cameras and stuff, I have an Old Sony 32″ TV and an old receiver that I would love to recycle.

2. Gina wrote: December 7, 2009 2:44pm

Hey Evildude, I hear ya. I have so much stuff at my house that I’d love to recycle – beyond just electronics but hey, I actually have good news for your scenario. Although a TV doesn’t qualify for the Sony Style Trade-In Program, we have a separate recycling program recycling program that makes it easy to dispose of electronics in an environmentally-safe way. With the Sony Take Back Recycling Program, we offer locations nationwide where unwanted products can be dropped off and recycled for free. I hope this helps this holiday season for ya – here is the link! Thanks for posting. -Gina (Blog Editor)

3. bhhcmc wrote: December 7, 2009 7:58pm

Hey I have a brand new SONY life style I’d like to trade in because it came with no power cords. I have been on line listening to Christmas music 5 times with their on-line “bad-customer service representative” and I bought it directly from SONY–still no one will send me power cords–they just give me different numbers to call. I have had 4 VAIO’s stupid me—but this is the last.

4. bhhcmc wrote: December 7, 2009 8:00pm

Oh and Admin says that if you can’t say anything nice—they won’t print anything at all—-hope all the execs loose their Christmas bonus

5. guest_user wrote: December 8, 2009 9:21am

I have a Ps2.. can I trade it for a laptop? I need a laptop to help me with my research paper. Do i need to add cash?

6. Gina wrote: December 8, 2009 12:31pm

Hi Guest, You should definitely try out the trade-in program. If you’re looking for something before the holiday, I’d bring your PS3 (along with all the components, power cords, etc.) to a Sony Style store. They can evaluate it and see if there is trade-in value. If there is a value to it, you can trade-in it for a gift card for a specified amount (based on the eval). Then you can use that gift card towards the purchase of a notebook. I know there is a special holiday promotion where for gaming units, you get additional bonus dollars on top of the trade-in value. The details are here:http://tinyurl.com/yz4zswj
    And to find a Sony Style store near you, here’s the url:http://tinyurl.com/y86fesq
    Hope this info helps and thanks for asking – Gina (Blog Editor)

7. Gina wrote: December 8, 2009 3:04pm

Hi bhhcmc – I have to apologize as I am not quite understanding. Are you referring to the trade-in program? For this, there isn’t a call in number – you’ll want to visit the website and get a printed label or bring your system into a Sony Style store. Hoping this helps but not really sure what you’re referring to…If you’d like to email sonystyleblog@am.sony.com I can certainly help get you to the right peeps if this isn’t the trade in program. – Gina (Blog Editor)