Your First Computer

by Team Sony 07/14/2009

I was back in the VAIO lab recently trying to dig up an old accessory to test for a Quick Tip I’m writing when I came across a vintage VAIO PCG-K25 – a model at the top of its game in 2004 with a Pentium 4 processor, 60GB HDD and 512MB of system memory.  Talk about nostalgia, it really caught my attention and after booting up this old VAIO, I got thinking about my very first PC and thought it would be a perfect topic for today.

Growing up in Indiana in the early 90′s, PCs were just beginning to find their way to my friends and neighbors.  Although still pretty young, I remember being fascinated by the PCs at school (anyone remember Oregon Trail?) and I instantly wanted one.

Shortly after starting 4th grade my family and I got some good news: our school had received a huge grant from the state.  All students would receive a free computer and printer to keep for 2 years!  The computer was an IBM PS/2 Model 30.  It had an Intel 286 processor (10MHz), 2.5MB of system memory, a 30MB hard drive and a 3.5″ floppy disk drive.  I’ve been hooked on computers ever since!

That’s my first computer story but I’d love to hear yours.  What was your first machine and what were its specs?  Did you hold on to it for sentimental reasons?  Did you recycle it?  I’d love to hear your stories.  I’d even love to see photos of your vintage PCs.  Post your stories below and e-mail me photos of your vintage computers and I’ll post them in a special album on our photo page.  You can also check out photos of the K25 I took in the VAIO lab below – that’s a P Series next to it for comparison.

1. guest_user wrote: July 17, 2009 12:46am

WIsh I had a photo…first PC was a Gateway 2000, before the 2000 got nixed. :) It was a 33 mhz powerhouse with a 400 baud modem and floppy drive.

Just bought an FW and love it.

2. guest_user wrote: July 17, 2009 2:35pm

Compaq Presiario. It had a BEASTLY 133mhz processor in it. It took about 5mins to boot up, but all that didn’t matter once Ioaded up SimTown. :)

3. guest_user wrote: July 17, 2009 6:14pm

My first was a Tandy TRS-80, from Radio Shack. Old school. Don’t know the specs. Data storage was a cassette tape. Oldest one I still have is a bulky Compaq laptop, circa ’93, 486, 25 mHz. Black & white screen since I didn’t want to spend the big bucks for color. Need to recycle that thing at Sony’s next green event :).

4. guest_user wrote: July 18, 2009 12:32am

My first computer was actually a sony vaio c series, windows xp, it was like gray and orange around the edges, it wasn’t too shabby

5. guest_user wrote: July 20, 2009 4:18pm

AMIGA 500. Best computer ever made :-)

6. guest_user wrote: July 22, 2009 11:56am

My very first PC is Intel Pentium 100 MHz, 8 MB RAM, and 3.2 GB of HDD. The OS is … Windows 3.1. :P
    Soon after that, I try to install Windows 95 there, and it can run SimTower perfectly!

7. vaiofreak wrote: July 22, 2009 10:28pm

Michael, you were at the VAIO Lab??? Dude, come on you gotta talk more about it….where is it located? Is it the one in San Diego Repair Center or an actual VAIO Lab? I know Sony Japan has one and pretty much shows off all the VAIO generations that ever were…
    Anyways, my first one was a school computer that ran Basic! Anyone remembers that programming language? But it was school owned, so I always lusted after one.
    VAIO PCG-F500 series was my first one…..specs were pretty awesome back then…..in 2000…I can’t believe I paid $2200 for it…..times have changes so much. After that VAIO I have owned about 15 different models, so I sorta have a VAIO museum here myself…

8. guest_user wrote: July 24, 2009 7:38pm

Believe it or not, my first ‘computer’ was the Coleco Adam. Not the expansion to the ColecoVision, but the full unit. It tried to compete with the Apple II of that time, but it had insane quality problems. My next computer was the Commodore 64 which I loved to death. I went on to the Commodore Amiga 2000 which I loved even more than my C64. I still have my Amiga, but I have to admit that it just sits in storage. My first Windows PC was an Acer system from the early/mid 1990′s running Windows 95. Ah, the good ole days. Running Windows back then was like being on the frontier in the old west.

9. guest_user wrote: July 29, 2009 1:54pm

I got a TRS-80 for my 10th birthday, and then moved on to a Commodore 64…that thing was smokin’ in its day.

10. guest_user wrote: July 29, 2009 9:05pm

My first comp was a TI calculator, but my first actual computer that ran software was none other than the Commodore 64. And I agree with Jim, the Commodore was a smokin machine. It had graphics, it had sound, it did word precessing, spreadsheets and databases as well as played some of the best games on the market (better than the game consoles on the market at thetime). I never understood why the 1541 floppy drive was just as big but heavier than the 64. Anyone know why? hahaha

11. guest_user wrote: August 8, 2009 10:32am

The first computers I ever used were HP Workstations (9830, 9845.) I worked at a Navy Laboratory where I developed applications to control measuring instruments. The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore VIC-20. It took a long time for Commodore to release a printer for the VIC-20, so I got tired of waiting and bought an IEEE-488 interface for it so I could connect one of Commodore’s PET printers. I also got an additional 5K of RAM, for a total of 8K! My first PC was a Heathkit HS-148. It came with a 50% off coupon for any software that Heathkit sold; they had a special on Lotus 1-2-3 Version 1A* for $299, so I got it for $150. Two months later, Lotus introduced 1-2-3 version 2, so I qualified for a free upgrade. With the new version of 1-2-3 came a $100 coupon for an Intel ‘Above Board’ Expanded Memory Card, so I got one of those too.

12. guest_user wrote: August 10, 2009 8:20pm

@VAIOfreak I was in the VAIO lab that’s here at HQ in San Diego. It’s not part of the repair center. Rather, it’s a separate room within the VAIO Marketing and Product Management offices where we keep all of our samples. We also use the area to play with new features, software, etc. It’s great for VAIO Marketing people like me – I’m able to walk in anytime and play with a VAIO feature that’s under development or download software I just read about to determine how it works and if it’s something we should talk about.  It’s great – especially for geeks like me!