VAIO Quick Tip: Configuring Your Embedded GPS

by Team Sony 06/17/2009

Some newly released VAIO models – like the P Series – include an embedded GPS chip. When using software like Microsoft® Streets and Trips it works just like other GPS systems you might find in your car. Because I can understand how setting up this feature might be confusing at times, I wanted to make sure you all knew how to do it.

This quick tip will walk you through the process of configuring your GPS chip so you can take full advantage of all its features.

1. Ensure the GPS Module is On

Before taking advantage of features like turn-by-turn directions within the Microsoft Street & Trips software, you must ensure that the GPS module is on and that it has acquired a signal.

a. Click the Start button and then All Programs

b. Within the All Programs menu, select SmartWi Connection Utility folder and then click the SmartWi Connection Utility program

c. Within the SmartWi Connection Utility window, in the GPS section, click Turn On

NOTE: To turn on the GPS module, the Verizon WWAN module must also be turned on but does not have to be connected to the Verizon service. If the option to turn
on the GPS module is grayed out, please repeat the steps above but within the Wireless WAN category of the SmartWi Connection Utility window (located directly above the GPS category).

2. Using the GPS Module

After ensuring that the GPS module is on you can either click Launch Navigation Software or launch Microsoft® Streets and Trips 2009 from the Start menu.

Note: If this is the first time the Microsoft® Streets and Trips 2009 software has been opened, you must complete the activation process.

a. In the Microsoft® Streets and Trips window, click the GPS Task button

b. Click the Start / Stop GPS Tracking button

c. In the Routing textbox, type your destination address and then click the Go button

Note: For more information about these and other features of Microsoft® Streets and Trips 2009, consult the Help files within the software.

For more information on this quick tip, please read the eSupport article.

1. Jay wrote: June 25, 2009 11:26pm

Whats the coverage outside US?

2. guest_user wrote: June 29, 2009 6:10pm

Hi Jay. Thanks for your question. The GPS functionality of the P Series works within the United States and Canada by default. Technically, it’ll work outside the default area as well, returning your altitude, latitude and longitude as long as you have a clear line of sight to the sky. However, you’ll have to keep two things in mind. One, the pre-installed version of Microsoft Streets & Trips includes a map pack for the U.S. and Canada only. For coverage outside the U.S. and Canada, Microsoft offers an extension map pack that covers 37 European countries.

Two, the pre-installed Streets & Trips software comes pre-configured. Using an extension map pack or altogether different software for coverage in other countries means you’ll have to configure the ports yourself, which unfortunately, you’ll have to do on your own. If you have any tips or tricks for doing this, please share them with other VAIO users within our Forums.

3. guest_user wrote: July 19, 2009 7:49pm

Hi Michael. Your answer about GPS functionality in Canada is very encouraging. However I found a problem with my new Sony P (VGN-P688E/G). I bought it in the USA and GPS worked (under Windows 7 and S&T) just fine in the Seattle, WA area. Returning home in Montreal (province Quebec, Canada) I couldn’t find my location. GPS sensor is turned ON by the SmartWi panel. Status is “Searching for GPS signal please wait”. But even after ours it never found a signal. COM port is configured correctly and S&T works correctly with the USB based GPS sensor for the same location. Can you please explain this situation and give my any tips to solve my problem. Thanks.

4. guest_user wrote: July 20, 2009 5:16pm

Hi Dimitri. I’m really sorry to hear about your GPS experience. Sounds like you have an issue that would be better served through our customer support / service department. Please e-mail me at VAIOCommunity@am.sony.com with your contact information and I’ll be sure to get you to the right people so you can get your GPS working the way it should. Thanks!

5. guest_user wrote: September 20, 2009 1:27pm

Hi , I tried to register but they did not let me do it because I am from Brasil. I bought a VAIO VGN P688E in New York , I knew the Verizon wireless would not work in Brasil but the standard Wi-Fi does not work either . My computer has no Wi-Fi ? Why would the salesman from Sony Style Shop would sell me a computer that does not work in my country as I told him I was from Brasil ? The GPS doesn’t even give the coordinates . Can you at least tell me if my computer has a Wi-Fi ? Computer Model PCG 1Q1L , 282 19438 3000 646. There is no service for this computer in Brasil.

6. guest_user wrote: October 27, 2009 1:59pm

iHi Waldyr, I have the same problem. I am from Brazil too. Did you solve yours.
    If yes, please help me!

7. Michael wrote: October 28, 2009 5:50pm

Hi Marcus & Waldyr. I’m really sorry to hear you’re having so many issues with your new P Series. To be specific, it sounds like you’re referring to issues with WWAN not WWLAN (WiFi) correct? You want to connect to a 3G signal not your home wireless network, correct? As with the other questions attached to this post regarding international compatibility, it sounds like you have an issue that would be better served by a technician from customer service. Please e-mail me at vaiocommunity@am.sony.com and i’ll pass your contact information and issues on to the right team. Thanks for reading! Michael (Blog Editor)

8. guest_user wrote: April 9, 2010 3:27am

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE INSTRUCTIONS TO TURN THE GPS ON. IT IS NOT ON THE COMPUTER AND SONY’S 24/7 SERVICE IS CLOSED TONIGHT. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.