VAIO Quick Tip: 5 Steps to Maximize Battery Life

by Team Sony 06/08/2009

Battery life is important, especially for those long flights or extended study sessions at the library. Even though battery technology and OS power management have come a long way, you always seem to need just a little more when the battery finally decides its had enough and powers down. Because of that, VAIO Product Manager Kevin Sather offers 5 tips for squeezing every ounce out of your battery.

1. Adjust Your VAIO Power Plan

This is the first and easiest step. You can choose 1 of the 3 preset power options or customize your own to quickly adjust a broad range of power settings with one click.

a. Left-click on the power icon in the bottom right of your screen

b. Select Power Saver

2. Put Your VAIO to Sleep

Even if you’ll only be away for a moment, putting your VAIO to sleep can save precious battery life. Your LCD and hard drive are two of the biggest consumers of power and when you step away they continue to draw power to keep the LCD lit and hard drive spinning.

a. Click the Start button

b. Select the power icon in the lower right corner

3. Adjust Your LCD Brightness

While the VAIO Power Plan can automatically adjust your LCD brightness, you can make further adjustments with this easy keyboard shortcut to save even more power.

a. Press and hold the Fn key on the bottom left of your keyboard while selecting the F5 key simultaneously

b. Repeat step A until you reach the desired dimness – the dimmer, the more power you’ll save

4. Turn Off Unused Ports

Even when not in use, your USB, iLINK, Ethernet, Optical Drive and other inputs consume power to maintain a standby state – ready to automatically detect a device as soon as it’s inserted. However, if you’re on a long flight just watching movies and know you’re not going to be using any of these ports, turn them off! Here’s how:

a. From the Control Panel, click Mobile PC

b. click Power Options

c. Click Choose When to Turn Off the Display in the left hand margin

d. Click Change Advanced Power Settings

e. Click on the VAIO Power Management tab

f. Scroll down to Other Devices

g. In the Running On Batteries Column set the i.LINK, built-in CD/DVD or any other input to Disable.

*Don’t forget to turn these back on should you need them later.

5. Switch from External to Internal Graphics*

An external graphics card consumes a lot more power than internal integrated graphics. If you’re just browsing the internet, hammering through e-mails or taking notes in class, you don’t need the graphics performance of an external, dedicated graphics card. Sound intimidating though? Switching between the two graphic performance options is as easy as flipping a switch and here’s how:

a. Flip the hardware switch from Speed to Stamina

*Available on select models only

6. Buy a Large Capacity Battery

Still need more or just don’t feel like tinkering with these settings? Pick up a Large Capacity Battery from any SonyStyle store or online. On average, you’ll increase your battery life by approximately 1.5x when compared to a Standard Capacity Battery.

Of course, that’s just the tip of the ice berg. I want to hear your battery tips as well. Share them with the rest of the community and post your tips in the comment section below.

1. guest_user wrote: July 23, 2009 7:34pm

You may save lots of Battery hours by removing it ( the battery ) from your Z550N when not in use. These Laptops draw 22milliamperes in full shut down mode which equals 2 weeks of shelf life while the battery is installed in the unit. ( a friend also experiences this with his Z ) I like my Sony Z very much. It is far superior in many ways. And Vista is much better than XP in my experience. Perhaps there is a better fix to the battery shelf life than mine. That’s what I was hoping . PS. my battery ( and also the spare) give 6 to 8 hours of use time each, when fully charged. Also the Blue Tooth, the Wifi,and the Sprint are supposed to be off.

2. guest_user wrote: August 16, 2009 3:34pm

I purchased a Sony Vaio Model VGN-NW125 J serial 28217738-3017526 service tag C601JML4 on 7-26-09. One reason I purchased this model was it stated it had a 5 hour battery life. I get less than 2 hours of battery life. I want to know how do I get the proper 5 hour battery that was supposed to be in this computer.

3. guest_user wrote: August 17, 2009 3:37pm

In order to set your VGN-NW125 for the longest battery life follow these steps below. You can also adjust the screen brightness by pressing FN+ F5 (dim) or F6 (bright). This will have a large impact on the length of time you can run on battery.

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
    In the Control Panel window, click System and Maintenance.
    In the System and Maintenance window, click Power Options.
    In the Power Options window, in the Preferred Plan section Select maximum battery life (VAIO Optimized),

Let us know if this does not resolve your concerns.

Tony C.

4. guest_user wrote: August 30, 2009 11:29am

If your always running on AC power is it ok to keep your battery out of the notebook?Sounds logical but wanted to make sure before I do it.

5. guest_user wrote: November 19, 2009 5:34am

Nice post,

This is some great advice im going to try some of these out…

I only have a low battery life so i hope these help…

Anyway, thanks for the post

6. guest_user wrote: December 21, 2009 9:00am

bought a used (2 months old) vaio vpccw17fx. suppose to have ‘up to’ 4 hour battery life. I have set the power option to power saver and reduce screen brightness. even after full charge, still shows and gets only 2 hours or less. is there a way to reset the battery? if not, how do i take advantage of the warranty without a store receipt? I know that the product was purchased from Best Buy.

7. guest_user wrote: January 4, 2010 11:53pm

Helpful Information. I had to change my laptop because my battery was very waek, lasted for 30 minutes. I hope I will experiece a good power safe battery life.

8. guest_user wrote: January 6, 2010 6:55pm

I just bought the VGN-NW350F . on first charge dropped from full one notch within 10 min of pulling the charge from full. well see how it goes..getting a little nervous by everyones comments….will give an update in 1 month

9. guest_user wrote: January 12, 2010 10:58pm

I just purchased a VGN-NW270F today. I was very surprised after charging that the computer only shows less than 2 hours of battery life. I have been using the computer for an hour now and it shows 1 hour 20 minutes left. I am not sure if the meter shows correct. This is still much less than the advertised 5 hours of battery life. Maybe if I turned everything off and just used the screen saver.
    The rest of my family have Mac’s and they get much more battery life. I have another computer HP with an extended battery and I get 3.5 hours. I would purchase a longer lasting battery if I could find one. Anyone have an idea? Thanks
    Mike

10. guest_user wrote: January 14, 2010 12:49pm

I have a vgn-fw11zu. some reason i can now only adject the brightness of my screen throw Power settings. and the FN butter + f5 don’t work :( help

11. guest_user wrote: January 20, 2010 2:11pm

I’ve purchased a sony vaio VGN-NW240F and my battery only lasted 2 hrs instead of what was advertised as 4 hrs. :(

12. guest_user wrote: February 1, 2010 9:31am

tui không có ngày loz xao. tao sai NW125 ne. sai duoc co 2 gio ah.

13. guest_user wrote: February 2, 2010 5:50pm

i recently purchased a sony vaio laptop and i only get about 2 hrs on 100 percent charge i call sony and the guy said that its supposed to be about 3 and a half to about 4 hours and that to fix it i have to drain the battery and then reinstall the battery drive and then charge the laptop for 10-16 hrs to maximize the battery lfe…
    idk if this will work but they said theyd call me and give me all the instructions on how to do this
    i am really hoping this will work bcuz i was hoping for at least 3 hrs of battery hrs.

14. guest_user wrote: February 15, 2010 2:44pm

I have a VPCF115FM and also having battery problems…I have the battery charge set to 80% and when windows is shut down completly, lid closed and AC unplugged the battery will show 55-60% (down from 80%) charge in the morning (10 hrs)…since this system is not in sleep or hibernation mode I don’t see why there is such a big drain on the battery…power button is set to put system to sleep in battery mode and turn system off when on AC power…

All drivers and software are up to date…system is less than one month old.

Any suggestions ??

15. guest_user wrote: March 4, 2010 3:06am

Hello
    I have a notebook model vaio fw 590 fpb. I choise Power option part that I charge the battery to 80% battery performs and 20%, it will not charge. Now I charge the battery as full charge but do not find that option to return to the initial state battery again. Please help me . tanks a lot

16. Anonymous wrote: July 20, 2010 7:23pm

my sony laptop battery is only charging 80%.
    please help me out to charge it full 100%

17. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2010 10:22am

I have a question regarding the battery and AC power because I am using VGN-CR25L. Should I remove the battery when my laptop is plugged in? Or just let the adapter plugged with the battery.

18. Djhaye Joson wrote: November 4, 2010 8:34am

tip#3 ~ Adjust Your LCD Brightness -> is not working for me. Fn fail. Please help.

19. Anonymous wrote: June 1, 2011 2:30am

i have vaio eb46 model.i don’t know about battery back up.i beleived only in brand.please help me how to increase battery back up.battery life is main factor of laptop.

20. Anonymous wrote: December 6, 2012 9:17pm

Using ready boost can help…..I have a snoy vaio E series….used ready boost and I witnessed an average increase in battery performence..

21. Lana wrote: April 22, 2013 1:58am

my computer isnt giving me the option to show how much battery i have left/when it is charging ect. I have tried to personailize the taskbar and the ‘power’ option is blanked out so i cant click to view it. How can i fix this?