Sony’s Reader Excitement Hits the West Coast

by Team Sony 10/09/2008

Although our latest Sony Style store in Glendale, Calif. wasn’t open during my 40-day blog tour to the stores this summer, one of our blog moderators, Marcy Cohen, was among those at this week’s opening ceremonies, where we also took the opportunity to invite our guests to experience “The Reader Revolution.”  You can get a taste of the experience in her guest post below.

Sony’s Reader Revolution campaign, along with the new PRS-700 Reader eBook device, were announced last week to packed press gatherings in New York.  To be fair, we decided to bring the Reader excitement to the West Coast in conjunction with the opening of our newest Sony Style store in the Glendale, Calif. suburb of Los Angeles.

Earlier this week, local Southern California media streamed into Sony Style at the Americana at Brand retail complex. I hesitate to call the Americana a mall since it’s so much more than that. The Americana is an outdoor shopping and residential extravaganza, which is the brainchild of Rick Caruso (famed designer of the Grove in L.A.).  Complete with dancing water shows reminiscent of the Bellagio in Las Vegas and an old fashioned trolley that transports people around the complex, the Americana is a real destination.

Situated among high end retailers like Barneys and Ed Hardy, this is the perfect location for a Sony Style store that presents the latest products in a fun, unintimidating and relaxing atmosphere.

Dennis Syracuse, the senior vice president of Sony Style retail stores, showed off the new store to about 30 guests. Local “Reader Revolutionaries,” who are part of a 1,000-person team fanned out across the country talking up the Reader to consumers, were on hand to demonstrate the new Reader as well as the current PRS-500 model.

As an added bonus, we announced that the Sony Style at Americana is the first to now have the new PRS-700 unit available for customers to demo and pre-order. The rest of the 42 Sony Style stores around the country will receive the new Reader by mid-next week. This will be followed by a select group of authorized retailers nationwide who will receive it in November.

The guests stuck around for several hours enjoying cocktails and appetizers, and playing with all of the cool products in the store. I even found some of them immersed in a Guitar Hero showdown on a PlayStation 3 console.

Be sure to stop by a Sony Style store in your area to check out and even pre-order the new Reader PRS-700 and let us know what you think.

1. guest_user wrote: October 9, 2008 2:19pm

I have to say I like this design of the Sony stores much more than the the “sleek techy” look.
    Apple has that niche of super sterile and sheik, you would be hard pressed to try and overcome that.
    This style gives a much more homey feel almost like a Barnes and Noble for techies. I hope to see
    more of these pop up even in indoor malls. In a way this “organic tech” look is much more
    welcoming, I like how Sony has been trying new things; I really do believe in companies having to
    make products that customers want but don’t know they want it yet.

2. guest_user wrote: October 9, 2008 8:53pm

I really like the design of the store it is great!!!! I am a huge fan of Wendy’s but I
    must say that retail in different markets may take on the McDonald’s way of
    buildings and make each building unique to it’s own area and not in a cookie
    cutter like look. Cookie cutter is a reputation of enclosed malls and this one as
    well as the one in Glendale, AZ may very well break this mold. I also think the
    new Sony Reader sounds great and should be another hit for Sony! Best
    wishes with that and the Sony Style store expansion!

My idea for this blog is for Sony to have their own line of printers for
    computers both desktops and laptops. This would be beneficial as I have not
    yet seen this from Sony (although I did see a HP printer at the Easton Town
    Center Sony Style store). I think Sony’s brand name on this type of product
    would be great. It can come in various versions including printers with
    scanner capabilities. Thanks for the listen!

3. guest_user wrote: October 13, 2008 11:38pm

Its really good thing to know…..Sony’s really booming all around the the word… As what I’ve seen
    in picture it looks really nice and the design looks cozy and techy.. How I wish I can shop on
    that place…

4. guest_user wrote: October 15, 2008 1:11am

I would love to visit a SonyStyle store, however there is not one anywhere
    near where I live in Tennessee.
    I am hoping that maybe Nashville, TN is being considered as a possible location
    for a new SonyStyle store.

5. guest_user wrote: October 22, 2008 7:50pm

I would be a lot more excited if it worked with a Mac. I bought my girlfriend a 505
    but will not buy one until it works with the a Mac. After seeing it work it’s a
    mystery why it needs to be tied to any computer software. They would’ve been
    better off using a web interface to connect it to their bookstore.

6. guest_user wrote: October 24, 2008 10:46am

I have some coverage of the PRS-700 intro starting here:

7. guest_user wrote: November 18, 2008 2:26pm

Those of you with a Sony Reader check out http://www.Libertynewsprint.com
    its a daily feed newspaper formatted in an easy to read .pdf format.

Chek it out.

8. guest_user wrote: December 8, 2008 11:16pm

I love my prs-500 and was hoping that you would extend the $100 trade in to include purchase of the
    700. Why is that not included in the trade-in program. Unfortunately this makes the 700 essentially
    $200 more expensive than the 505.

Any chance of this?