Microsoft Now Supporting Blu-ray?

by Team Sony 10/10/2008

I noticed a report today buried on the seventh page of an eight-page industry newsletter indicating that Microsoft will ship an external Blu-ray Disc drive for the Xbox 360 this holiday selling season. The brief article in Consumer Electronics Daily said that while a Microsoft official denied it, the newsletter’s reporters polled retailers who confirmed this intention and even mentioned an expected price tag of $149.

One possibility might be that the BD peripheral will be branded by another company, but still be designed to work with Microsoft’s game console. Either way, as I’ve seen here at Sony, retail sources generally have pretty good inside information since companies will often share product introduction plans with them in advance of making announcements to the press or the public.

Another interesting note in the same article is that the drive is being built by a joint venture called Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology. If true, how ironic is it that two of the biggest opponents to Blu-ray — Microsoft and Toshiba — may now be turning the corner and facing the reality of this huge market opportunity?

1. guest_user wrote: October 14, 2008 3:34am

this good news, i think microsoft do not want to fall behind with sony PS3

2. guest_user wrote: October 14, 2008 4:53am

This is very nice. Awesome…

3. guest_user wrote: October 15, 2008 8:50pm

MS didn’t just deny it. They trashed blu-ray.

And you still are perpetuating this? Did you plant the rumor yourself?

4. guest_user wrote: October 16, 2008 8:07pm

Hello mcm,

The report came from the pages of a well respected industry newsletter and I
    noted the Microsoft company spokesperson’s response.

That said, there was also some pretty specific information in the report about
    possible pricing and manufacturing that there is no way I would know or that
    the publication would ever accept from me.

Things can and often do change in business. I was around in the Betamax
    days. As much as Sony supported that format, the company eventually
    started producing VHS recorders and in the U.S. attained the No. 1 VCR
    market position with them.

5. guest_user wrote: October 16, 2008 11:27pm

Thanks for the article Mr. Clancy! I think it is intriguing to see some Blu-Ray non-
    participants getting involved! I think that there will be even more folks to get into
    the act after some innovation and the cost to make and sell Blu-Ray players
    aren’t as expensive. Great post as usual!

My idea for this blog is for Sony to internally review and enhance their
    Customer Service. I feel like from the posts on the blog there are some falls
    through the cracks that are inconveniencing Sony clients to an increased
    degree. I think there should be surveys and assessments offered to clients to
    at every Customer Service touch point like online, phone and in-store at Sony
    Style. I hope that Sony is continually assessing and refining their Customer
    Service capabilities. I’m more than happy to admit that I have been a very
    pleased client of Sony’s with no complaints. Sony has so much very good and
    I look for it to be even better.

6. guest_user wrote: November 10, 2008 7:50am

I’ll definitely keep watching this post! I’m building a home theater, with the help
    of the guys at http://www.smarterhometheater.com.

Don’t want to end up buying the Betamax here…