Reader Store Blog

The Future of Reader Store in the US & Canada

by Reader Store 02/06/2014

As you know, our customers always come first, which is why we want to share the news firsthand about an announcement made today from Sony regarding its plan to close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada.

Although we’re sorry to say goodbye to the Reader Store, we’re also glad to share the new and exciting future for our readers: Reader Store will transfer customers to Toronto-based eReading company, Kobo—an admired eBook seller with a passionate reading community. We strongly believe that this transition will allow customers to enjoy a continued high-quality e-reading experience. As a result of this change, we will close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada on March 20, 2014 at 6 p.m. (EST).

So, what’s next?

Customers don’t have to do anything right now, and will be able to re-download your previously purchased eBooks for a limited time. In late March, we will send an email to registered customers with a link that will allow customers to transfer existing libraries to Kobo. Whether new to Kobo or with an existing account an account, customers will be able to transfer your Reader Store eBooks to your Kobo account so you’ll continue to have access to them in the future. Plus, any existing Reader Store credits in accounts will transfer to a Kobo account to use at the Kobo Store. And of course, customers can continue to use their Sony Reader to read eBooks from Kobo.

We are fully committed to helping our customers through this exciting transition to Kobo. With the Kobo Store, readers will have access to more than 4 million of the world’s best books, magazines, comics and kids’ titles, all at your fingertips.

Thank you for being such loyal customers, a part of our reading family, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition. It has been a pleasure reading with you!

— Your Reader Store Team

• Click here for frequently asked questions about this communication.
  • If you are not interested in transferring to Kobo, click here to login to your account and opt-out. Your username is this email address, but if you forgot your password, click here
  • Click here to read the Press Release.

1. Ken wrote: March 28, 2014 7:03pm

Still no email with a link! Very frustrating.

1. Marge wrote: April 5, 2014 12:07pm

April 5th still no link. When coming????

2. Julie wrote: March 29, 2014 9:23am

Today is the 29th and I have received an email with the link!

3. Vicki wrote: March 29, 2014 9:56am

It’s March 29th, and I still have not received the email. How late is ‘late March’?

1. Stu wrote: April 3, 2014 4:51am

April 3rd nothing from Sony. I think we have been abandoned.

1. Kathy wrote: April 5, 2014 7:46pm

Here it is April 5th, and I also have heard nothing about how to transfer my books to Kobo. So I took matters into my own hands. I don’t know if this will work for everyone, but it did for me. I signed on to my Sony Reader account and clicked on each book and downloaded it myself. I could not get it to download to The Kobo app I already have (I was informed to sign on to my Adobe account–that I have–to download into Kobo. Well, that didn’t work, so….I have a Bluefire Reader app too. When I clicked on the book to download if from my Sony Reader account, it asked if I wanted to download the book to Kobo or Bluefire, so since I couldn’t put the book into Kobo, I clicked on Bluefire and was able to download the book there. I would suggest y’all download the Bluefire Reader app and see if, like I did, are able to download your books there. I had to do it a book at a time, but each book downloaded very quickly. Hope this helps.

4. maria goldsack wrote: March 29, 2014 4:03pm

I have been out of the country & just returned, what do I do now about my books?

5. Carla wrote: March 29, 2014 7:06pm

I have not received an email either.. the only books I have on my reader so far are all 7 harry potter books. I just finished reading the last one and was hoping to buy another book to start reading, but I don’t believe I received an email with the link in it as everyone has been saying. Is there any way we can do this manually on the sony website or something? This is rather frustrating because I just want to read..

6. Dorothy Taylor wrote: March 29, 2014 10:40pm

It is March 29th and I still have not recieved the link to transfer my sony account to Kobo! Really frustrating. I hate to lose the balance on my account and the library I’ve purchased.

7. Doug wrote: March 30, 2014 8:03am

Still waiting on the link!

8. Teresa wrote: March 30, 2014 2:13pm

It is March 30th and still no link!! What is going on?

9. Michele wrote: March 30, 2014 8:07pm

It is March 30, and I have not gotten an email from Sony. I have 310 books in my library.

10. Jen wrote: March 31, 2014 3:48am

Never got the email.

11. Joseph Gardon wrote: March 31, 2014 7:37am

I have not received an e-mail link to my account at KOBO, only the notification mails. When do I get the link to my new account?

12. Leslie wrote: March 31, 2014 8:54am

Finally received my link this morning. Seamless transfer of 98% of my books. Only five are not available on KOBO, but I had previously saved my Sony Reader Store library so it’s not a major problem. One improvement I’ve noted…you can delete books from your library on KOBO and they will reside in a trash folder until you permanently delete them. I like this feature as it’s a good place to “store” books that I’ve already read but may want to read again. Also, although there is not a wishlist you can add a preview of books to your library – this is somewhat more convenient, in my eyes, as the books you are interested in are front and center in your library with a link to purchase.

Thank you, Sony, for making this as pain-free as possible…although I would have loved to have received my link sooner than this morning!

I only hope that, should I need it, KOBO has the same great customer service that Sony had over the years.

13. margaret killough wrote: March 31, 2014 10:52am

I have not received a KOBO link

14. Angela wrote: March 31, 2014 11:56am

Here another episode of ‘The Missing Link’. Have not received mine either. I bought a book on Kobo yesterday, but have no clue how to put it on my old Sony e-reader?!?

15. Troy Reed wrote: March 31, 2014 9:59pm

I still haven’t received the email on how to transfer over to Kobo.
    This transfer has been handled very poorly by Sony…..

16. Jim wrote: April 1, 2014 8:46am

Here it is, the 2nd of April and nothing from Sony concerning the transfer to Kobo. What a disappointment and I certainly shall not even consider purchasing another Sony product.

17. Michelle wrote: April 1, 2014 5:21pm

I have yet to receive an email with the link to transfer my existing library. I had downloaded all the books to my reader – at this point I am considering purchasing a Kindle and changing to Amazon. My reader for pc app has already prompted me to update and now displays Kobo but I have not set-up an account as I have been waiting for the official email. From looking at Kobo I am disappointed in their searching capabilities (especially new books only for a certain category).

18. Torri wrote: April 1, 2014 5:31pm

April 1st:
    STILL NO LINK! SERIOUSLY I JUST WANT TO READ ON MY READER AND IT’S A LITTLE HARD TO DO WHEN I CAN’T BUY ANY MORE BOOKS! WHY IS THIS SO POORLY HANDLED?!

19. cathy leblanc wrote: April 1, 2014 5:35pm

Apr 2and no link from Sony for transfer to kobo received yet still waiting

20. Jimmie Powell wrote: April 1, 2014 7:20pm

How do transfer all off the books to Kobo the Reader store.

21. Ramona wrote: April 1, 2014 7:47pm

Still waiting for this Kobo link. When is it coming? It’s already April 1st. I’m very disappointed.

22. Lois wrote: April 1, 2014 8:49pm

No email yet. Very annoying…

23. SIMONE ROBICHEAU wrote: April 2, 2014 6:40am

I haven’t gotten an email how to transfer my Sony EReader to Kobo Please email me that link ASAP Thanks

24. Nancy wrote: April 2, 2014 7:28am

I am still waiting for the link. When I called customer service the guy tod me they were still sending out links. That was a week ago and I am still waiting.

25. Nancy McManama wrote: April 2, 2014 9:57am

I have not received a link from you to transfer my books to Kobo. Please forward it so that I do not loose my books.

26. bob cramer wrote: April 2, 2014 11:12am

Opened the Sony e-mail in the nick of time. Transfer of BOOKS went smoothly, but i’m still waiting for my money credit on my Sony account. They say they are working on it….we’ll see!

27. Catherine wrote: April 2, 2014 11:17am

Have not received the link. Kobo no help.

28. Eva Alvarado wrote: April 2, 2014 1:03pm

I am still waiting for a link to transfer my library to Kobo and I am very frustrated. I know people who also had a sony account and they received theirs. It is already April, which is definitely past late March. Also, there is no phone number for support. Please help, there are books I want to read.

29. A Mullins wrote: April 2, 2014 2:09pm

I have not received my link to change over.

30. Peter wrote: April 2, 2014 3:24pm

No transfer email from Sony… It’s April 2, folks! You closed on March 20. Extremely poor customer service!

31. Lyle Dhondt wrote: April 2, 2014 3:27pm

Still no link????????

32. Anna McK. wrote: April 2, 2014 6:26pm

The only email I received about the transition to Kobo had an attachment that would not open so I still don’t know how to get my books from the Reader Store to transition them to Kobo. :(

33. Sergio wrote: April 2, 2014 10:14pm

i have finally had the opportunity to check my email and am shocked that the reder store is out of business. i immediately signed up for my books to be signed over… about when sholud i recieve the link to get my books??

34. Karen wrote: April 3, 2014 3:17am

Hi! This site got lots of Ereaders

35. Betty McCarthy wrote: April 3, 2014 6:20am

I pre-ordered and paid for the new book by Nora Roberts “Shadow Spell”. However, it is not included in the books that transferred. In fact, I am missing about 25 books in the transfer. What’s going on with this?

36. sondra wrote: April 3, 2014 6:48am

I have not recieved an email from sony to do the transfer. Does anyone know who we can contact about this?

1. Helen wrote: April 5, 2014 11:58am

The talk over on mobileRead is that some of the people that have not got their emails have called and been told to have patience they are sending them out slowly and could be another week at best to get to all the people probably due to the fact that if they release all the emails all at once people hitting the links could crash the kobo website or kobo will get swamp with trying to help everyone that has problems with the transfer. And if your credit does not transfer call kobo (1-800-239-9532 Hours:
      8:30 AM to 12:00 AM ET) and talk to customer service they will look into it you will probably be asked to send them the link from the sony store to fix your credit and then it will be added to your account page on the kobo store they never tell you they got it fix you just need to keep checking back to see if it is there at least that is what happened in my case. If you want to find out more go to mobileRead.com and check out the forums and the links in the news section and Sony sections about this. Also you still have till the 20th of this month I think to download all your books to your computer and save a copy there

2. Marlene Lemieux wrote: April 5, 2014 6:18pm

Still no email-re-reader to Kobo-what to do now??

37. Vivian Kimmitt wrote: April 3, 2014 1:16pm

I have yet to receive my email for transfer of books to kobo

38. dswearingen wrote: April 3, 2014 6:56pm

I have not received my email link either. Frustrating…

39. Gisele wrote: April 4, 2014 6:39am

I still have not received the email with the link to transfer to Kobo. Although I appreciate the size of the task of notifying all the clients, I expected more from Sony.

40. lori wrote: April 4, 2014 8:56am

I’ve transfered over but wen I go to restore I can’t get books it keeps saying go to ur account I do and get no where

41. Dorothy Taylor wrote: April 5, 2014 4:33am

It’s April 5 and no Kobo link has been sent to my email!

42. Elinor Serra wrote: April 5, 2014 4:39am

I have not received promised e-mail. Losing faith in SONY rapidly! What to do next?

Delete juno.com address.

43. Bonnie wrote: April 5, 2014 11:13am

Still no email from sony!!! Not very happy at all.. guess I loss all my books and money I had on my account!!!

44. Donald Carney wrote: April 5, 2014 12:18pm

I have not yet received email link to transfer library from Reader Store to Kobo. Is there an estimate to how much longer this will take?

45. Samantha Cason wrote: April 5, 2014 2:30pm

Still no link.

46. J. Gutierrez wrote: April 5, 2014 6:00pm

I have not received the link. I want to know if I already have a KOBO account, will I have difficulty transferring my sony account to the KOBO account

47. Richard Schiesswohl wrote: April 6, 2014 6:36am

In February, I was sent an email regarding the closing of the Sony “bookstore” and the switch to Kobo. In the email it stated: “In late March, we will send an email to registered customers with a link that will allow customers to transfer existing libraries to Kobo.” We are now in April and I have yet to receive an email from you. When will you be doing this?

48. Joel Solomon wrote: April 6, 2014 11:01am

April 5th and still no link to transfer purchases. Kindle, here I come!

49. Pam wrote: April 6, 2014 2:56pm

It’s April 6th and still no e-mail!