Creative Academy: Photography Workshops at Your Local Sony Store

by Sony Store 01/01/2014

Capture

Looking to refine your photography skills? Or just have a passion for creativity? Stop by your local Sony Store for a free Creative Academy session to learn more about photography at any level covering basic, beyond basic and various lighting techniques. You can read about the specific curriculum per classes below and we hope to see you soon!

CALIFORNIA

FLORIDA

TEXAS

NEW YORK

WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?

The class curriculum was designed by photography education artisan Leslie Fisher, who has decades of experience in the field. Our in-store photography experts will teach you practical knowledge on taking great photos, starting with a foundational level, continuing with an intermediate level focused on manual shooting, and ending with instruction on how to use lighting to up your photography game and how to edit your photos to your liking.

You are welcome to attend one class, or attend them all – it’s your choice! The classes are an excellent opportunity to not only learn new skills, but to also kick off your weekend with a fun and interesting activity, either on your own or with family or friends.

Don’t wait too long to sign-up: seats are limited and offered on a first come, first served basis.

While owning a Sony DSLR camera will be an advantage for participants, the class will also be beneficial to anyone who has a desire to learn how to take better shots using any interchangeable lens camera, or anyone who would like to learn a bit more about photography before deciding if it’s the right hobby to pursue. We will have demonstration cameras and lenses available for use during the hands-on portions of the classes, so bring your thirst for knowledge and we’ll take care of the rest.

COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

Photography Basics: An introduction class focusing on auto modes, such as scene, creative effects, sports photography, macro photography, and low light shooting, as well as general composition and lighting tips and tricks for instantly improving your photography skills.

Beyond Basics: Ready to learn manual? We will go over the different uses of the camera’s functions, such as shutter priority, aperture priority, ISO, exposure compensation, and white balance. It will also discuss how to choose the right lenses and camera accessories for your needs.

Working with Light: This class is all about the power of light. You’ll learn how to give your photos a kick of inspiration. Key topics include using natural light to your advantage, using artificial lighting sources, wireless flash techniques, and how to work with lighting accessories such as flashes, reflectors, and remotes.

1. Marcus wrote: March 3, 2014 3:47pm

Is owning a Sony camera mandatory?

1. Creative Academy wrote: March 4, 2014 2:26pm

Hi Marcus,

You can absolutely join the class even if you do not own a Sony Camera.

2. Carl Lundoy wrote: March 4, 2014 8:51pm

No, you don’t need a Sony camera. But they supply cameras as well.

2. Barry wrote: March 3, 2014 4:09pm

You don’t have a store near me in Phoenix.

3. Kiara Ortega wrote: March 3, 2014 5:54pm

Hi my name is Kiara Ortega and I am very interested in your photography classes, I live in Mexico but I am able to go to Houston, Tx to take the classes. I would like to know if there is available dates during summer before August? and if there is a limited age? and if there is a cost? also in how many days the classes is taken? I am a 16 years old girl and I have a Sony Alpha. I would love if you can answer my questions the sooner as possible to schedule the days. Thanks.

1. Creative Academy wrote: March 4, 2014 2:24pm

Hi Kiara,

Thank you for showing interest in our photography classes. Unfortunately, we don’t have dates set for August yet but keep checking http://www.sony.com/creativeacademy for any updates. The classes are FREE, we teach one topic every Saturday and we do not have an age requirement to attend the class.

4. Alfie Alvarado wrote: March 3, 2014 11:23pm

The two New York locations are totally out of the way for most New Yorkers, especially since MOST New Yorkers don’t drive and don’t have cars. Any chance future classes could be held closer to the main urban sprawl?? such as Brooklyn?? Thank you.

1. Creative Academy wrote: March 4, 2014 2:18pm

Hi Alfie,

At the moment we are only offering the classes at certain Sony store locations. There’s a possibility that we will offer this in our Manhattan store. Keep checking this site for updates!

5. Sid Waqif wrote: March 4, 2014 8:26am

I would like to attend the classes. Please add me to your newsletter database. I am actively involved in the local community.
    I appreciate your support. Please email the times and venue of the events.
    Sid

1. Creative Academy wrote: March 4, 2014 2:15pm

Hi Sid,

Above are the list of store locations and topics we are currently offering. Once you click on SIGN UP NOW, it will show you the available dates.

Also, if you registered your Sony product on https://productregistration.sony.com/and if you live near a store location, you will receive the reminder for the classes.

6. leslie wrote: March 4, 2014 5:05pm

I would like to see a class in New York City

Leslie

7. deniece wrote: March 10, 2014 8:30am

i went to the class on saturday 3-8-14. i enjoyed it all. i really learned alot on taking photos. found out it’s alot i have to learn. the instucture set an appt w/me to do one on one. i thought that was great. i will be attending next saturday to learn more about my camera

8. Bob wrote: June 6, 2014 8:45am

GREAT classes! Just got done taking the “Beyond Basics” and the “Working with Light” classes, and learned quite a bit. Both classes were brief but well organized, and the use of TVs in the store to show samples of images (displaying whatever topic was being discussed) was very helpful.
    Thanks very much Sony… My confidence in my photography skills is already far better.

9. Jay Shaikh wrote: June 11, 2014 5:13pm

do we have to bring any camera with us?

what is the age requirement for the class, can kids attend like 11 or over?

10. Ana wrote: June 11, 2014 7:28pm

Is there an age limit?

11. Ignacio García, Jr. wrote: June 11, 2014 9:11pm

Thank you for offering such amazing classes. It’s a rare opportunity, and one that I’d rather not miss. Any other format that you’ll consider for those without a Facebook account? I sure hope so. If not I’m outta luck.

Thanks in advance, and continued success.

12. Srikanth wrote: June 11, 2014 9:14pm

Do Sony conducts class in Hyderabad, India. If yes could you please let me know how to find out those classes.

13. Aileen Noche wrote: June 12, 2014 6:25am

Hi, the dates you have for CA are over and I just received this email regarding this.By any chance do you have the class on website or YouTube?
    Any chance of doing the class again in CA?

14. marcela wrote: June 12, 2014 7:02am

I hope you were in Connecticut!!

15. Maryann wrote: June 12, 2014 8:47am

I never get e-mails in appropriate time for classes as they come months after the class dates

16. smitha wrote: June 12, 2014 12:18pm

any in virginia

17. Yakira wrote: June 12, 2014 11:22pm

Are you looking to offer these classes in New Jersey? If yes, I would love to attend!! Thanks!

18. Dushan wrote: July 10, 2014 10:13am

Hello,
    Today is 7/10/14 and I just received an invitation from you stating:
    **Please note our next available class will be “Working with Light” on May 31 and June 1, 2014 (pending the location).

Is anyone reviewing your promo material?

19. Rebecca Holland wrote: July 10, 2014 10:31am

I received this today, July 10. It states that the next class (in Palo Alto) is May 31, June 1. When is the next class, I would really love to attend.

20. Sanum wrote: July 10, 2014 11:04am

Do you have any class in Northern New jersey.
    Regards

21. Denzil Smith wrote: July 10, 2014 11:24am

will like to attend IN NYC

22. Ken Schoening wrote: July 10, 2014 2:40pm

I am a huge Sony fan currently using the A7, A7r, and the RX100 Mk 2. I would love to attend the free seminars, and there’s one just a few miles away. But they’re all on Sunday morning! Some of us still go to church, so we won’t be able to take advantage of Sony’s generous offer. Too bad! Maybe you could offer some on Saturday?

23. Teresa wrote: July 10, 2014 6:11pm

Are you going to come back again, if so how much are the classes?

24. Nada wrote: July 12, 2014 8:09am

I would like to see a class in Glendale, Arizona.