Sony SHAKE, Rattle and Roll: New SHAKE-5 Brings the Boom!

by Ray Hartjen 08/19/2013

A party isn’t an epic party until it turns into a block party.

Today, Sony makes it easier to turn your party into the biggest party of the year with the introduction of the Sony SHAKE-5 shelf stereo “mini system,” available later this month at the Sony Store and other electronics retailers. Here’s the scoop:

Massive music

The SHAKE-5 will rattle all the neighbors’ windows with its 2,400 Watt, 3-way speaker system. Uh no, that’s not a typo – that’s 2,400 Watts of punishing power. With its large subwoofers, separate mids and tweeters, the SHAKE-5 fills your house with sound and turns it into the town’s hottest night spot.

Lights, action

No light system, no problem. The SHAKE-5 comes with multi-color LED speaker lighting that pulses in sync to the music. Use any one of the selectable LED lighting configurations to set the tone and intensity of your party playback. It’s your club now.

SHAKE5anglesmall

You, the DJ

The SHAKE-5 allows you to dial in your soon-to-be-signature sound by setting your own EQ curve or choosing from one of the 14 preset EQ settings. You can also increase your booming low-end bass response by engaging the BASS BAZUCA. Even cooler yet, you can be your own DJ by using the FLANGER, ISOLATOR, SOUND FLASH or PHASER sound effects to personalize your tracks.

Stream wirelessly … or not

Stream and control your Bluetooth audio streaming experience with your compatible smartphone, tablet, digital music player or computer. And if you’re lucky enough to have a mobile device with Near Field Communications (NFC) technology, enjoy simplified Bluetooth connectivity with a simple touch.

For recorded music, dual front USB inputs connect and playback USB thumb drives or playback and charge other compatible devices. Plus, you can play your favorite CDs or even your personally recorded CD-R and CD-RW discs – even MP3 files that have been recorded to CD discs. And, if you’re “old school,” rock the AM/FM radio.

Really, the SHAKE-5 has it all and then some. It’s the biggest, baddest powerhouse on the block, and is ready to rock your socks off right out of the box. Audition the SHAKE-5 today. At $999 it’s all you need to make your place the hottest club in town.

1. preet wrote: August 19, 2013 11:51am

whats its price

1. Kathleen wrote: August 19, 2013 4:34pm

Hi Preet, it’s $999.

2. Sound-Dr. wrote: August 19, 2013 12:37pm

Looks like a very good for a Mobile DJ who wants to add this to an all in one system such as a Pioneer XDJ-R1 or a Numark Mixdeck Quad! I know I will be looking to get one!

3. V wrote: August 19, 2013 6:55pm

is this a 2,400 WRMS Monster???

1. Kathleen wrote: September 3, 2013 1:34pm

We measure power output in RMS. So assuming that WRMS and RMS are one in the same, then yes it is a 2,400 WRMS monster!

4. Chirag wrote: August 19, 2013 9:24pm

Please let me know the price of the item… I want to buy it. And plz tell me the price in indian currency///

1. Kathleen wrote: August 22, 2013 1:55pm

Hello Chirag, it will be at retail later this month for $999 in the United States. If you’d like to inquire about availability and pricing in India, please reach out to your local support team. Thanks for your question! http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

5. patrick wrote: August 20, 2013 1:55am

What size r the woofers and mid range and by looking at the picture no way its 2400 watts

1. Kathleen wrote: September 3, 2013 1:34pm

Woofers are 8”, Subwoofers are 14”, (and 1” horn tweeters). Thanks for your question, Patrick!

6. Daniel wrote: August 20, 2013 5:16am

*reading* looks awesome… looks awesome… LOOKS AMAZING… *reads price* …AND… maybe I can afford one refurbished in 30 years. Hahahahaha!

7. Brian D wrote: August 23, 2013 9:59pm

Looks sweet, I’ve been looking at the old sony shake system on sony website but they pulled it off, any clue when they will bring back the old one or this new model?

1. Kathleen wrote: August 25, 2013 1:27pm

Hi Brian, the SHAKE-5 will be up on store.sony.com later this month. Stay tuned!

8. stewie wrote: September 4, 2013 5:38pm

will best buy .com carry this?

1. Kathleen wrote: September 6, 2013 10:52am

Hi Stewie, thanks for your question. Best Buy will not be carrying this but you can always find it at http://store.sony.com!

9. Chris wrote: September 6, 2013 3:34pm

Im on the http://store.sony.com website and i cant find the Shake 5 on there.

Also when will the shake 7 be available?

1. Kathleen wrote: September 10, 2013 8:47am

Hi Chris, thanks for your question! The SHAKE-5 will be on store.sony.com later this month so stay tuned. SHAKE-7 will not be available in the US.

10. Alex wrote: September 10, 2013 8:27am

When can I buy them in Russia ???

1. Kathleen wrote: September 10, 2013 8:52am

Hi Alex, thanks for reading. Please reach out to your local support team as they are better suited to answer your question http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

11. Barry Edwards wrote: September 10, 2013 1:42pm

Former Disc Jockey for Dick Clark’s American Bandstand Diner, and CBS Radio in
    Chicago……this SONY IS THE FINEST AND MOST PROFESSIONAL EVER! NICE JOB SONY.

12. Barry Edwards wrote: September 10, 2013 6:17pm

I am Barry Edwards, formerly of CBS Radio here in Chicago, and former Disc Jockey of Dick Clark’s American Bandstand Diner. The Sony Shake is THE FINEST EVER> THANK YOU SONY for this WONDERFUL product.

1. Kathleen wrote: September 13, 2013 3:31pm

Thanks for the love, Barry!

13. Andy wrote: September 17, 2013 7:04pm

Will the shake 7 be available in Australia?

1. Kathleen wrote: September 18, 2013 3:13pm

Hi Andy, please reach out to your local support team for that info: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ Thanks for reading!

14. Greg wrote: September 24, 2013 9:26am

Hello,

Im very curious in the Sony Shake 7. I want to know if Sony will at any point release the Shake 7 in the USA.

Where can i find out more information about the Shake 7 availability.

1. Kathleen wrote: September 24, 2013 11:17am

Hi Greg, thanks for your question. The SHAKE-7 will not be available in the US.

1. Greg wrote: September 27, 2013 11:00am

Hi Kathleen,

How come the Sony Shake 7 wont be available in the USA ?

1. Kathleen wrote: September 30, 2013 1:51pm

Hey Greg! Thanks for your questions. The Shake-7 is for another geography. If you were to order it online through another country, it may not play properly or may void the warranty if used in the U.S. because of the different standards between the various countries. Hope this helps!

15. Daniel wrote: September 25, 2013 9:30am

Looks really cool! How do the speakers connect to the main unit? Can additional speakers be added?

1. Kathleen wrote: September 30, 2013 1:52pm

Hi Daniel, thanks for your question! The speakers, along with the lights, connect through thespeaker terminal type on the back of the main unit. No additional speakers cannot be added to the system.

16. Rachel Stephens wrote: September 26, 2013 11:03pm

I just got a shake 5 yesterday and it’s AWESOME!!! The max volume is 50 and it’s got the walls vibrating at 35, without the bass being on! And up louder, with bass, is still crystal clear! No distortion at all! Very pleased! :)

1. Kathleen wrote: September 27, 2013 11:29am

That’s awesome, Rachel! So glad to hear this. Thanks for the love.

17. Greg wrote: September 27, 2013 11:01am

Also if i want to get ahold of a Shake 7 for myself how can i do that?

Can i special order it somehow?

18. Carson wrote: October 1, 2013 10:54am

Will it have Professional Speaker Mounts for DJ Speaker stands? I have the original DJ shake system, and had to drill holes in the bottom and add speaker stands. It only cost $20…but of course it voided the speaker warranty.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 7, 2013 1:46pm

Hi Carson, the SHAKE-5 was not designed to be attached to / placed on speaker stands, but, it does not mean that it can’t be done. Where there’s a will, there’s a way and it seems like you’ve already figured out a solution. Thanks for your question!

19. Taylor wrote: October 2, 2013 4:45am

Why is this product still NOT available in the US? I found it on Sonys New Zealand site for 1500$, which is certainly not thee anticipated 1000$ previously mentioned price… please specify where exactly american`s can purchase this product as it was supposed to be available a month ago… thanks for your time.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 4, 2013 4:56pm

Hi Taylor, stay tuned! It’ll be available shortly. Appreciate your patience.

20. Manikandan wrote: October 10, 2013 8:44am

I am going to buy Sony Shake-6D in India, Any plan for launch Shake 7 in India.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 11, 2013 4:11pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. Please reach out to your local support team for assistance: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

1. Manikandan wrote: January 27, 2014 7:18am

Hey I love mu Shake 6D………..

21. Joe wrote: October 12, 2013 7:32pm

Is there longer wires available for the speakers

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 1:22pm

Hi Joe, at this time there are no longer wires available for the SHAKE-5.

22. Phillip wrote: October 19, 2013 1:41am

Just wondering would this sony stereo connect to a play station 4 or Xbox one

23. Dane wrote: October 20, 2013 1:13am

Is there an ETA to an American launch of the SHAKE-7. I want it by Christmas!!!

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 2:22pm

Hi Dane, SHAKE-7 is not available in the US. If you are in a different region, please reach out to your local support team for availability information. Thanks! http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

24. jason wrote: October 21, 2013 2:20am

hello shake 5 looks amazing where in the uk can I get one and when…also will it be coming to online shopping sites like amazon uk and very

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 2:09pm

Hi Jason, glad you are excited about the SHAKE-5. For availability info, please reach out to your local support team. Thanks! http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

25. Sridhar wrote: October 21, 2013 4:19am

when Shake 7 will be available in India.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 21, 2013 2:08pm

Hi Sridhar, you’ve reach the US Sony blog. For info on the SHAKE-7, please reach out to your local support team. Thanks! http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

26. Brandon wrote: October 28, 2013 2:58pm

This is for “Carson” You say you drilled holes in to the old unit? This is the only thing that is keeping me from buying this unit… i need to get these spearkers up off the ground… do you think you could tell me what you did to your other unit to get this done? if you could advise to me your ideas i would really appreciate it! Thank you! my email is (motov555@yahoo.com)

1. Jimmy wrote: November 9, 2013 2:54am

Mate these things have huge subs & you don’t put Subwoofers above ground level.
      Mounting them on a wall would destroy the acoustics

27. Jimmy wrote: November 6, 2013 4:52am

@Rachel Stephens
    It aint that good, loud yes but sound quality is not the best. Sub starts to distort at about 35. Has weak mid range & has very little user input to change frequency. Equalizer is pathetic & almost non existent.
    Sony claims that the output is 600w rms x4 (2400w in total)…But since its input draws up to 320W, its total output must be lower than 320W, total, regardless of the speakers’ impedance and number of channels driven.
    Output power simply can’t exceed input power. Systems which claim to do so (audio, mechanical, or anything else) are called perpetual motion machines. There’s no such thing.

1. Rich from NY wrote: November 7, 2013 3:48am

I was dead set on purchasing this unit from all the positive responses until I read yours. Is it possible that you adjusted the EQ wrong? Have you tried all possible to enhance the sound quality? Your response is a complete turnaround from Rachel’s. Now I’m confused.

1. cps wrote: December 8, 2013 10:16am

I just bought this open box from the sony store, paid a little less than $900 including a 4 year warranty.
        Sounds great/ and looks great!
        I STILL DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW MANY WATTS EACH SPEAKER IS.

-THANKS

28. Rich from NY wrote: November 7, 2013 3:43am

How long are the speaker wires and can you buy longer ones that will produce the same sound.

29. Mike wrote: November 10, 2013 8:44am

Dumb question. Can someone give me the simple info on “what’s in the box” for this product per a consumer looking for a high quality “bookshelf” type system? Thanks a million!

30. Jimmy wrote: November 12, 2013 12:00am

Don’t be fooled by all of the positive comments about the shake5. Yes it’s loud but that is the end of it. There is nothing more about it that is positive.
    Honestly it has a terrible flat plastic sound & if you turn on the Base Bazooka the speakers sound distorts & the speaker boxes vibrate like crazy.
    Also you cannot read the non illuminated buttons (tiny dull gold writing on black)it’s the dumbest thing…

Looks & sounds good in a shop environment but it is pathetic when you get it setup at home & really crank it up.
    Don’t waste your money on this overpriced piece of plastic just because it says Sony on it.
    On closer inspection it is made in Malaysia, & for probably less than half of the sale price too.Sony would be making a fortune on these things..

31. Jimmy wrote: November 12, 2013 12:03am

Almost forgot; when you open the CD tray it covers the close button so you can’t get to it unless you twist your hand & go from underneath the tray. No open & close on the remote either. Terrible design.

1. Deaf_What? wrote: November 12, 2013 12:17pm

I agree jimmy.
      And another thing is when you have a device like a TV plugged into the AV jacks on the back of the shake5 it reduces the quality the sound when you are playing music from a DVD or USB. Try it. Plug a TV into the back of the stereo & play some tunes on the CD or usb & while its playing remove the plugs from the RCA jack and the sound gets better.
      I took mine back & got a refund & bought a Panasonic SC-MAX700GSK which kicks the Shake5′s butt

32. jeff wrote: November 21, 2013 5:40am

I got one about 3 weeks ago. I’ve already cracked two of my windows, broke three dinner plates, blew one of my eardrums, and pissed off all my neighbors. This is the best house stereo I’ve heard hands down. I threw out my p.a speakers which were 1000 watt stacks that had 2 15 in subs in both boxes. I love this radio. Question though can u connect 2 shake 5s together with running Bluetooth? I’m getting another one if u can! They are sweet!!!!!

33. maira wrote: November 24, 2013 5:23pm

Hello just wanted to know will the shake 5 be on sale this coming up black friday thanks?

34. Ken S wrote: November 26, 2013 5:11pm

what is the ideal setup for this system. I have seen some with four speakers etc…
    I want killer sound that turns heads and blows me away. And where to see or hear one in Nevada USA

35. Dustin wrote: November 29, 2013 5:30pm

I have the shake 5, not at all impressed. Being a home and vehicle audio enthusiast i can not wrap my head around the 999 dollar price(got mine for 500 which was still more than i should have paid) my 300 dollar LG home theatre system has much more high volume clarity and distortion free bass(and louder than both of the shake 5s woofers) im usually really into sony home products but this was a sheer let down. All of the positive comments must be coming from the less audio savvy people in the world. Been doing this a long time, and have had alot of great products. This not being one of them for the price.

36. james wrote: December 9, 2013 9:32pm

hi can you tell me wich is better the shake 5 or 7 thay look so much alike and wich one has the most watts

37. Katongo Vincent wrote: December 11, 2013 5:59am

Hi,

I have a shake 7, now i have problem with short cables for the speakers. How do i go about in extending them .

38. kasper wrote: January 22, 2014 12:31pm

Is the SHAKE-7 comming to Denmark(europe)

39. matt wrote: January 27, 2014 12:11am

which is better?shake 5 or 7.I also heard LG’s cm9730 boom box is better,pls i need a reply.

1. Cris wrote: February 19, 2014 2:58am

Matt the shake 5 has a 12 inch sub and the shake 7 has a 15 inch sub … So the shake 7 is better … The boom box is really crap as all u hear is the base

40. Garre wrote: February 1, 2014 12:43pm

Plain and simple, this system is awesome. Talk bad about it all you want. Go ahead and buy the Panasonic SC-max 650/700. When I’m outside bar b queuing, it is great when a terrible song comes on and I just puck up my phone and change it. Panasonic has less Watts and no Bluetooth technology. Sony shake is awesome.

41. kyle wrote: February 11, 2014 3:19am

Hi I was wondering the highest decibel reading from the sony shake 6d ? Thanks

42. Keenesha wrote: February 20, 2014 10:49am

My husband and I purchase this system via Nextwarehouse (online) on 12/15/2014. The price was aprx. $824.00 (free s/h), our estimated delivery date is 12/27/2014…we are on pins and needles waiting for this item. The price we got it for was a president sale price, the current price is $1109.99. We were going to purchase the Samsung Giga for $1499.99 same watts as Shake. I think we will be plaesed with our purchase, once we receive it and get it set up, I will come back on here with a review. Just know I am always honest, because I like to know that when I read reviews the customers are honest before I decide to make a purchase.

43. Andy M wrote: March 8, 2014 2:59pm

Shake 5 is advertised as max 2400 watts RMS output. In real terms, how many watts per channel does this relate too?
    Cheers Andy