Pro Blog

Happy Birthday Sony

by Sony Pro Team 05/07/2013

written by Doug Heavener | Community Manager, Customer Experience Center (CEC)

Happy Birthday Sony!   Yes, it all began on May 7th, 1946.  Wow, 67 years ago!  That’s a long time!  Just think about all the really cool, exciting and innovative products, for consumers and for professionals that Sony has created over the past 67 years.

Does anyone remember the first product Sony ever made?  Nope…..it wasn’t the Walkman®!

Rice Cooker

Hmmmm…… I bet you wouldn’t have guessed a rice cooker.   But yes, Sony’s first product was an electronic rice cooker.

Sony has made many leaps and bounds as a leader in the electronics industry over the past 67 years.  So, join me on a stroll down memory lane of some of my favorite Sony products.

Sony’s first electronics product: the TR-55 Transistor Radio in 1955!

Transistor Radio

1960′s

TV5-303 Television

1970′s

EL-5 Home AudioSL-J7 Video Recorder

1980′s

WM-2 Personal AudioMy First Sony Personal AudioCCD-V8 Video CameraD-50 Personal Audio

In 1981, Sony demonstrated the world’s first High Definition Video System for TV and motion picture production.

1990′s

MZ-E30 Personal AudioSCPH-1000 PlayStationPCG-505 Personal ComputerDSC-F1 Digital Still Camera

2000

KL-50DX700 TelevisionBDZ-V9 Blu-ray Disc RecorderDSLR-A100 Digital SLR CameraERS-110 Entertainment Robot

2005

The first 4K projector designed for commercial movie theaters.

SRX-R110 SXRD 4K Projector

2011

The F65 motion picture with an 8K image sensor.

F65 Digital Motion Picture Camera

And today…………

Xperia Tablet
Xperia™ Tablet
4K Ultra HD TV
Sony 4K Ultra HD TV
F55 and F5 CineAlta 4K PMW Series HD Camcorders
F55 and F5 4K Cameras

I hope you have enjoyed the stroll down memory lane as much as I did!

It’s amazing how much the technology in electronics has changed over the past 67 years, wouldn’t you agree?

So why not wish Sony a Happy Birthday yourself by sharing a photo or 2 of your favorite Sony products!

Happy Birthday Sony!

1. An wrote: May 7, 2013 3:33am

Happy Birthday Sony!
    You are THE FUTURE!!!

2. MANISH SAWANT SHREE CHINTAMANI ENTERPRISES THANE MUMBAI wrote: May 7, 2013 4:37am

WISHING SONY MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY
    HOPING SONY WILL BE CREATING THE PLACE FOR ITSELF IN HEART OF IT’S CUSTMER’S IN EVERY CONTINENT OF WORLD.

3. Tatiana wrote: May 7, 2013 9:01am

love the blog, Happy Bday Sony!

4. Pablo Javier wrote: May 7, 2013 6:30pm

Happy Birthday Sony! Happy 67!
    I was, I am and I always will be a PROUD Sony user thanks to my father.
    I have no idea what would I do without your technology guys.

Keep it up with the amazing work.

A proud Sony user :)

5. Rogadele wrote: May 8, 2013 3:36am

My first Sony was a portable radio/record player back in 1963. I’ve had a love affair with Sont ever since. Beta video recorders [3 Betas against all punters] then 2 VHS!? Video8/Hi8 csmeras, TV’s, cassette recorders/stereos, Discman, Walkmans [NOT MADE FOR IPOOD, IPAID & ICALLED!!!]various Sony cameras, and laptop. More to come.
    Happy birthday darling, and kindest regards to Masaru and Akio and thank them for an exciting journey

6. Kevin Li wrote: December 23, 2013 1:06pm

Sony is very innovative, and my home reflects that as most of the electronics and appliances have been from LG, Samsung, or Sony. I own a Sony television, camera, and audio recorder. The one thing Sony has always gotten wrong, though, was always trying wrestle control from the consumer through Digital Rights Management, suing console modders, and removing features with successive firmware updates to products like the PlayStation 3. If Sony can change that, it will not only take over the world, but they’ll get more love from consumers.

7. Lucy Ahumada wrote: February 5, 2014 4:28pm

I agree, great site! Happy belated Bday Sony!!!!