Pro Blog

I Want My 4K TV: Sony introduces first collection of 4K Ultra HD content

by Ray Hartjen 11/29/2012

I call them “Yeah, But’ers.” You know the type.

Me: “Wow, that was a great pizza!”

Yeah But’er: “Yeah, but that was a week’s worth of calories.”

Yeah, But’ers have all the personality and charming warmth of Eeyore, and seem to cherish being gum on the soles of my shoes.

In the Technology space, I hear them all the time. With regards to 4K Ultra HD televisions, I’d hear them say things like, “yeah, sure, 4K TV resolution is incredible, but what about 4K content?”

Last week I sort of shot off my mouth and suggested 4K content was going to be available in the home. Today, that 4K dream came true as Sony officially introduced the 4K Ultra HD Video Player. Bundled exclusively as a special value add loaned to purchasers of Sony’s XBR-84X900 4K LED television, the player is a hard disc solution that comes preloaded with the following full-length feature films:

• The Amazing Spiderman
  • Total Recall (2012)
  • Bad Teacher
  • The Karate Kid (2010)
  • Salt
  • Battle Los Angeles
  • The Other Guys
  • That’s My Boy
  • Taxi Driver
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai

But, that’s not all. The Video Player also has a gallery of other 4K content, including shorts from cool contributors like Red Bull Media House and others.

I can hear them now. “Yeah, but what about future 4K content?”

Two things: 1) Sony’s solution is designed to be updated periodically with additional, new content, and 2) This is just the first step, as you have to wait and see what we have to show you at CES in January.

Oops!  I may have just shot off my mouth again.

I invite you to check out 4K Ultra HD television, either at a Sony Store or other retailer near you, or at www.sony.com/4Ktv. With four times the resolution of Full HD, it’s the most immersive in-home entertainment experience available, and it’s only Sony.

Yeah, but how is Santa going to get it down my chimney?

Dudes, stay tuned, as I’m working on that next.

1. Anonymous wrote: November 29, 2012 1:40pm

This is exciting news! How does a VW1000ES owner go about requesting one of these?

Having some native 4K content to “show off” the projector is something that I’d really like. PlayMemories 4K edition is wonderful, but man, I’d love to see this beast in action!

1. Ray Hartjen wrote: November 30, 2012 7:31pm

Currently, the 4K Ultra HD Video Player is bundled exclusively, free of charge, to purchasers of the XBR-84X900 4K LED television.

It’s the first step in a rapidely evolving 4K ecosystem, from 4K production to 4K display devices to 4K content in the home and cinema. It’s the first step, but certainly not the last. Sony will have more 4K content announcements coming up soon, so for all owners of the VPL-VW1000ES projector, please stay tuned.

2. Anonymous wrote: November 29, 2012 3:03pm

This looks promising.
    I would love to see more content in 4K 3D, but in a native way.
    I can only imagine that…
    Keep it up with the great work guys.
    A Sony fan.
    Pablo.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 29, 2012 4:58pm

Thanks for the support!

3. Anonymous wrote: November 29, 2012 5:47pm

i am looking to open a digital shop i am want to have a certain them , i even thought of Disney.

4. Anonymous wrote: November 29, 2012 7:51pm

What do you mean by “With four times the resolution of Full HD, it’s the most immersive…”. I thought pixel count is not the same as resolution.

Here is a few quotes that confirm that position:

“Doubling the resolution of an image isn’t as simple as just having twice as many pixels. In fact doubling the resolution of an image requires four times as many pixels (…) This is the square law in action. (…) To double the resolution of a one-megapixel camera, we have to go to four-megapixels — not two-megapixels. To double the resolution of a three-megapixel camera we have to go to twelve megapixels. To double the resolution of a four-megapixel camera, we’d have to go to no less than sixteen-megapixels.
    (…)
    This means that, to havec DOUBLE the resolution, you have to FOUR TIMES the number of pixels.”
    – John Henshall, epi-centre.com

“Small differences in pixel count, between say 5 MP and 8MP, are unimportant because pixel counts are a square function. It’s exactly like calculating area or square footage. It only takes a 40% increase in linear dimensions to double the pixel count! Doubling pixel count only increases the real, linear resolution by 40%, which is pretty much invisible.
    (…)
    One needs at least a doubling of linear [in two directions] resolution or film size to make an obvious improvement. This is the same as quadrupling the megapixels.”
    – Ken Rockwell, kenrockwell.com

“Theory predicts there is little resolution difference between a 6 and 8 megapixel camera. To double resolution all other things being equal requires that the pixel count be increased four times as both vertical and horizontal dimensions need to be doubled.”
    – Ken Newcombe, kennewcombe.com

“…broadcast television resolution properly refers to the pixel density, the number of pixels per unit distance or area, not total number of pixels. In digital measurement, the display resolution would be given in pixels per inch.”
    – Wikipedia “Display resolution” article, editor unknown

“Report says iPad 3 display has double linear resolution (headline)
    (…) The iPad 2 display is already impressive and so just imagine what we might see with double the clarity!”
    – Mark Chubb, phonesreview.co.uk

“[New iPad] will have a screen that’s twice as sharp as the current iPad, according to some icons hidden in the iBooks application. MacRumors found the icons, and says the resolution on the next iPad will likely be 2048×1546, which is a doubling of the current iPad’s resolution.”
    – Jay Yarow, businessinsider.com

“…the lil’ MacBook boasts a stunning 2560 x 1600-pixel display that’s twice as sharp as its non-retina brethren [1280x800].”
    – Editorial of thedaily.com

“…necessary to double the resolution and therefore quadruple the number of pixels?”
    – Raymond Soneira, displaymate.com

“With an eye-grabbing 2048- by-1536 pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch, the new iPad’s screen has twice the resolution and four times the number of pixels as its predecessor.”
    – Jeff Bertolucci, informationweek.com

“(talking about 3rd generation iPad) …Twice the resolution and four times the pixels…”
    – Andrew Eisner, retrevo.com

Thank you.

5. Anonymous wrote: November 29, 2012 8:46pm

“Yeah, but … what about VPL-VW1000ES 4k projector owners?” :)

6. Anonymous wrote: November 30, 2012 12:42am

I heard this tv is edgelit without local dimming……so is it going to look like my viao laptop screen its not that great with the flash lights. That is a lot of money to have such horrible screen uniformailty. Also i heard this only does passive 3d 1080p. I like that idea, but how does 1080p content both stereoscopic 3d and standard look stretch out 4 times on a native 4k tv. 1080p isnt even that popular yet….i hate to sound negative but is this tv worth the price? What high end features does it have instead of pixels? i know some 1080p screen out do others by leaps and bounds so resolution is only half the quility.

7. Anonymous wrote: November 30, 2012 1:13am

Wireless power cable?

8. Anonymous wrote: November 30, 2012 5:20am

nice butyful

9. Anonymous wrote: November 30, 2012 6:35am

This will NEVER take off. Quite simple, we do mot need 4K in an average sized house. Even using a video projector, 1080p is more than good enough. IFFFF you want a cinema screen as big as a…. cinema screen (!) then 4k would be of use. But how many ultra-rich types are there vs. those with average sized houses?! Lets face it, many still cannot see MUCH difference between DVD and Bluray (I’m not one of them, by the way! But the point holds) so this is just NOT going to sell at all. Let’s face it, once everyone owns their favs in 1080p Bluray, Film companies are going to have an impossible task to resell their product once again. Ditto for hardware manufacturers. Hence the desperate push for 4k. Interesting times ahead… We now have ‘perfection’ (with Bluray) as far as the majority are concerned, so the need to upgrade is now less than ever…

1. Anonymous wrote: December 4, 2012 5:21pm

people once said the same thing about color TV.

1. Anonymous wrote: December 5, 2012 2:41pm

I love sony products..

2. Anonymous wrote: January 16, 2013 9:45pm

I’ve got a BluRay player and three HD 1080p TVs and 7 HD cameras. I think the average consumer needs this like a hole in the head. To have 4-K for theater projection is probably a good idea, but for our homes and for low-end industrial videos, not at all necessary. I smell planned obsolescence and change just for the sake of getting money out of consumers. The masses should just resist by not buying. Consumer 3-D cameras and TVs were a bust, I don’t foresee this taking off like a rocket.

10. Anonymous wrote: November 30, 2012 8:10am

sony is sweet

11. Anonymous wrote: December 4, 2012 5:23pm

I wouldn’t even let my dog in the same room as that TV

and I’m pretty sure “The Bridge on the River Kwai” was shot in like 480p.

12. Anonymous wrote: December 7, 2012 7:31pm

I wish I could afford a 25000 dollar tv. I know its gonna be badass , just imagine gaming.

13. zc wrote: January 6, 2013 10:48pm

make belives

14. Tyler Breeden wrote: January 8, 2013 5:19am

Yeah-butters? This is the most embarrassingly desperate and juvenile blog post I’ve read in years. And the poster above is correct. Close to 90% of households with a 1080p TV and source aren’t even near the limit of that technology. My friend has a nice 1080p projector. We sit 10′ away from a 150″ 1080p image and it looks amazing. In 4K it’d look a little better, but not much. You must have a huge projector (or sit 3′ from your TV to notice ANY benefit. This technology will remain in theaters. A 65″ 4K TV is a tax on the technology impaired.

15. tim wrote: January 29, 2013 6:12pm

my question is i have a 1080p telvesion BUT i have a 4k 2k filtering receiver. will me receiver better my tv picture? i dont care if it infos 4k 2k i just want the picture to better. will my receiver better my tv? or do i need a better tv? will it better capable blu ray disc at least? someone please help. i cant find any answers on google or bing. thank you

16. Chris wrote: January 31, 2013 12:05am

Hi Ray,

thanks for keeping us updated about your 4K content. The HD world is thrilling – I produce myself full hd content and would like to offer Sony 4K content about the city of Berlin. Do you think you could give me a contact to the responsible Sony 4K production division? thanks and regards, Chris