Sony’s VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook Hits The US (VIDEO)

by Gina 10/11/2012

Today, Sony introduced its first slider hybrid, the VAIO® Duo 11 Ultrabook™ powered by Windows 8 for the US Market. Highlights include an LCD display, backlit keyboard, latest-generation Intel® Core™ processors  full functional I/O port connectivity and unique Sheet Battery technology (sold separately). As the VAIO Duo was first introduced at IFA, there’s been some great questions posted across the web. David from the VAIO team stopped by the SGNL by Sony set to give us a close-up look at the Ultrabook but also to answer some of those pressing questions on everyone’s minds. Take a look.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 11, 2012 10:52pm

uau.. i cant believe that.. the future is here.. this is what the world needed. The best product i have seen at all

1. Kathleen wrote: October 12, 2012 12:41pm

Wow! Thanks for the kind words.

2. Anonymous wrote: October 24, 2012 5:11pm

Please let Best Buy sell these! I have my heart set on a Duo 11.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 24, 2012 9:12pm

Glad you love the Duo :)

3. Anonymous wrote: October 28, 2012 3:24am

Really love that duo, but not sure when is going to available in indonesia? :(

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:28pm

Glad to hear it! You’ll have to reach out to your local support team to see if/when the product will be available in your region. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ Thanks for reading!

4. Anonymous wrote: October 28, 2012 9:10pm

Does the battery or the bottom area get overly hot? That would greatly impact buying decision. Thanks

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:30pm

Hi, thanks for your question. I’ll ask the product team and get back to you.

2. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:55pm

Hi again! To answer your question, the Duo has an exhaust port on the back of the unit to make sure it never gets too hot. Also, our engineers are accessing a new Intel technology to ensure Duo 11 runs even cooler when you are using it like a tablet and holding it in your hands. Hope this helps.

5. Anonymous wrote: November 1, 2012 11:37pm

is the battery user-replacable? and can you tell where is the location of the NFC chip? and will sony release the 3g version with sim card?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 2, 2012 7:15pm

Hi there, the battery is not replaceable. The NFC Chip is on the bottom left, back of the unit if you are looking at it in PC Mode. And re: a 3G version, we’ve got nothing currently planned. Thanks for your questions! Have a good weekend.

6. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2012 10:17pm

I’ve owned the MacBook air and the Samsung ativ 500T, My new Sony Vaio duo 11 is much better than both of these computers

Thank You Sony for making such a wonderful product and restoring my confidence in your brand

1. Kathleen wrote: November 5, 2012 1:28pm

Wow, thanks for the love! Glad you are enjoying the VAIO Duo.

7. Anonymous wrote: November 5, 2012 12:00pm

As not only an IT Professional, but also an enthusiastic I will admit, this “physical” design is great and something I have been looking and hoping for, for many years now. My end point that stops me from purchasing any Ultrabook, is the lack of any sort of impressive graphic capability. I am not a hardcore gamer, but when I am going to pay over 1000$ on a machine, it better be able to perform. If there are any plans for Sony or another competitor to incorporate a ATI/Nvidia Graphics card/controller/chipset then my sale will be theirs.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 5, 2012 1:21pm

We always appreciate feedback. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

8. Anonymous wrote: November 14, 2012 2:52pm

I would love to have this machine in my heads but sadly the reason i avoided every tablet on the market is because i am a hardcore gamer as well as video editor and animator so i need power in these tablets. maybe alienware ultrabook hybrid?

9. Anonymous wrote: November 16, 2012 6:32am

Hi this is a great device what am curious about is if they will create a much more thinner version with lets say Intel atom or an arm chip. Without fan and probably place ports on the screen. What would be nice is they keep the design and make the screen detachable and place the NFC chip at the top battery in both screen and keyboard layout.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 16, 2012 3:10pm

Hi there, thanks for the support and the feedback. Will be sure to pass it along to the product team. Happy Friday!

10. Duncan wrote: January 16, 2013 11:27am

I like my Sony Duo Slider but recently it has started to get very hot. I have tried to shut down as many applications as possible but this has not made any difference. Any ideas?

11. Mert sirkeci wrote: February 4, 2013 1:27pm

Will you launch integrated 3g version for vaio duo 11?

12. Carlos wrote: February 17, 2013 7:40pm

I love my Sony Vaio Duo 11 but something weird happened yesterday, all wireless connections disappeared. The wireless indicator light is on but I do not see any connection option. With another laptop and my smartphone if I connect with the Duo 11 but do not see any network in range. Someone can guide me what I can do before entering it for service from Sony?

13. Carlos wrote: February 17, 2013 7:44pm

I love my Sony Vaio Duo 11 but something weird happened yesterday, all wireless connections disappeared. The wireless indicator light is on but I do not see any connection option. With another laptop and my smartphone is able to connect without problem but with the Duo 11 not see any network in range. Someone can guide me what I can do before entering it for service from Sony?

14. Mike wrote: April 3, 2013 5:57am

Looking to see the answer to the 3g question. can the Duo or will it be able to connect via wireless connections through Verizon, Att&T etc?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: April 3, 2013 12:59pm

Hi Mike, current VAIO Duo 11 models do not have built-in 3G. But, there are USB adapters for 3G widely available from all the carriers you’ve mentioned. Also, if you have a cell phone which supports tethering (mobile hotspot) for 3G, you can connect the Duo 11 to your cellphone via WiFi to share 3G connection with it.

Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

15. Sharon wrote: May 4, 2013 8:43am

I purchased this in February to replace my original iPad and upgrade my IBM Lenovo laptop. So far I’d have to say I want to tell everyone this is “the one” technology you need! I have a list of 10 small hardware improvements that would really make this the pearl. Who do I share this with?

1. Kathleen wrote: May 4, 2013 9:46am

Hi Sharon, thank you for the support! Glad you are enjoying your VAIO Duo. Please send your feedback along to sonyblog@am.sony.com and I can forward it along to the product team.