First Look: New Walkman® Mobile Entertainment Players

by Katie 07/18/2012

Today Sony announced the new line of Walkman® Mobile Entertainment Players featuring legendary premium Walkman sound quality - and you, my friend, are one of the first to read about the new gadgets.

With  AndroidTM 4.0, the new F800 Series incorporates Sony’s exclusive digital audio fidelity technologies delivering a richer, bolder and louder presence. The new line-up also includes the Walkman® E470 Series, the slimmest model in Walkman history (pictured below). Now that is something to celebrate.

Designed for music lovers, by music lovers, Walkman features pretty unbeatable sound quality with Clear Audio technologies by Sony, assuring detailed sound with deep and powerful bass while restoring subtle high frequency details that get lost when listening to heavily-compressed digital music files. The integrated S-Master™ digital amplifier incorporated in the flagship F800 Series greatly reduces noise levels and distortion along with additional audio technologies to create an enriched music experience.

Rich Entertainment

The new Walkman models serve as a portal to mobile entertainment. Users have access to more than 14 million songs with Sony Entertainment Network’s cloud-based Music Unlimited Service. As part of a simple monthly subscription, Music Unlimited lets users transfer their favorite songs and ad-free radio channels to their Walkman device for a world of music discovery even when offline. Making it easy for users to load up existing media, Walkman supports drag-and-drop transfer of music, photos, videos, podcasts and playlists from iTunes®2 for Windows® via Media Go software or Windows® Media Player.

Users can also keep their music in tune with their mood with SenseMeTM technology by automatically categorizing music tracks into different channels.

And to top it all off, the new Walkman F800 and E470 Series models include soft hybrid silicone premium ear bud headphones. Want to learn more about the new models,  product pricing and availability? You’ll find everything you need to know here.

1. Anonymous wrote: July 18, 2012 2:52pm

Hello Sony! I love your phones and products, but the customer support is horrible. The recent ICS updates brought a bunch of bugs that your support team is not fixing! No support for a phone that is less than a year old :( sad.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 19, 2012 1:09pm

Oh noes! Thanks for letting us know, I’ll forward this along to the support team.

2. Anonymous wrote: July 20, 2012 12:10am

Bring back the walkman phone. a music lovers dream! Great music, talk & text. Miss my w580.

1. Katie wrote: July 23, 2012 7:42pm

Gotta love the Sony nostalgia…thanks for reading the post!

3. Anonymous wrote: July 23, 2012 5:00pm

when will unlimited movies and music be available in south Africa?

and also when are we upgrading to the new android on my arc s?

and I need that tablet s to complete my Sony ultimate collection.

Sony power.

1. Katie wrote: July 23, 2012 7:16pm

Hey thanks for the shout out! Let us know what you think of the Tablet S once you get your hands on one. In the meantime, you can connect with our friends over at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ for any questions about Unlimited Movies/Music in South Africa and all things Sony Mobile related. Take care!

4. Anonymous wrote: July 31, 2012 8:31am

Why doesn’t Sony offer a 32GB portable player? I’m not talking about the Android version, one that just plays music. Topping out at just 16GB is not enough, Sony! Thanks for listening….

1. Katie wrote: July 31, 2012 3:46pm

We always welcome feedback. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

1. Anonymous wrote: October 1, 2012 8:25am

Hi I, also I bought a player recently and I would like to know if z 1060 will be updated to android 4?

5. Anonymous wrote: July 31, 2012 8:47pm

I literally just purchased the NWZ-Z1060BLK 32GB Android Walkman 3 weeks ago. While the sound quality is amazing, I’m been really frustrated that it doesn’t support FLAC, nor HE-AAC (like my previous Walkman). Also it seems to have some issues carrying meta data over sometimes.

Is Sony releasing an Android 4 firmware update for
    NWZ-Z1060, with updated Walkman player, to support the same formats as this new F-series?

1. Katie wrote: August 1, 2012 1:33pm

Hi there, thanks for your comment and happy to hear you’re pleased with the sound quality. I’ve passed your concerns about meta data along to customer service – thanks for dropping us a line!

6. Anonymous wrote: October 14, 2012 1:22pm

Im waiting delivery of my new nwz z1060, but one thing is missing, and it would be an ideal addtion

If sony could releasea app to play atrac files, now I actually like my atrac mp3 player, but it now on its last legs, so hence bought the nwz z1060, but all new sony mp3 players lack atrac support

I prefer atrac to mp3, gapless, 48kbps means I get alot of music on my 8gb nwa808

I have 15,000 music track on my computer, 20gb, these files would fit perfectly onto the nwz z1060 32 gb, leaving room ofr videos, and apps

So it probably askling to much of sony, if they could release a omg/oma atrac app

1. Kathleen wrote: October 15, 2012 12:55pm

Hi there, we always appreciate feedback. I’ll pass it along to the product team. Thanks for commenting.

1. Anonymous wrote: December 18, 2012 3:19pm

Hi kathleen I live the new andriod 4 update for the nwz z1060, the sound is now so much better before this up date

As for future update, can we have omg/atrac support, dont know if it is feasable, maybe due to hardware configurations, but if its justs need a software up date, can we have this included

And it would be good to know what the produc team think of this, and how likely it can happen

1. Kathleen wrote: December 20, 2012 12:53pm

Glad to hear that you like the update! Thanks for the feedback, will certainly pass it along to the product team. Happy holidays!

7. chetan wrote: December 20, 2013 7:43am

i have a sony NWZ-S764 and i lost the original earbuds where i can get the same as original please reply am a big walkman lover and were i can read a reply to this

8. joe wrote: March 5, 2014 4:54pm

neutron music player, has just updated there software, which allows atrac playback, so why hasn’t sony done something like this

anonymous on Oct 2012, post this question to sony, if the neutron music player software can do this, why cant sony do it them selfs

It would be good to see some sort of update, even if its only on the music player

I would like to know from sony, will this ever happen