New Subtitle Glasses For Movie Goers

by Gina 06/27/2012

If you or anyone you know is hearing impaired or has some hearing loss, then you know what a challenge going to the movies can be. Some theaters offer closed captioning options, but those viewings are usually only available at certain times of the day, or certain days of the week.

Today we’re excited to share a new technology from Sony that allows folks to enjoy movies with closed captions whenever they want. Even new movies. Recently the SGNL by Sony team had the chance to  test it out. Take a look.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 8:36am

The Sony Access Glasses would be very useful for people with hearing loss in the UK. Although most cinemas now have facilities to screen the latest films with English-language subtitles & audio description for people with hearing or sight loss, there are only around 1,000 subtitled shows every week around the UK. That may sound a lot but it’s only around 1% of cinema shows. In the UK, subtitles are on the cinema screen, for all to see, so require separate screenings.

Subtitle glasses would increase the choice of subtitled films and shows tenfold. People would very much appreciate such a service from cinemas. Take a look at this page of feedback from the cinema-going public: http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/quote.html

Film distributors ensure that most popular cinema releases are routinely subtitled in many European languages, as well as captioned and audio described. Large-capacity DCP hard drives can easily accommodate a digital film and multi-language text/audio tracks.

A multi-language/caption/narration solution like the glasses would enable under-served, untapped audiences Europe-wide to enjoy the cinema experience. Not only people whose first language is not the local language, but also people with hearing or sight loss.

The potential reach is huge. Hundreds of thousands of Europeans would benefit from experiencing films in a variety of languages. And of course people with hearing or sight loss would benefit immensely. Each year tens of thousands of children are born across Europe with significant hearing loss. Every day thousands start to lose their sight. Millions, including more than a hundred thousand children, have significant hearing or sight loss.

With ageing, loss of some hearing or sight is inevitable. Access to film via captions/subtitles and audio description/narration is something that we may all appreciate eventually.

Derek Brandon
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/yourlocalcinema/favorites

1. Gina wrote: June 30, 2012 1:28am

Hi Derek, thank you so much for posting and appreciate the feedback. I also like how you’re sharing subtitle movies in various areas. I wanted to let you know I passed the feedback along re: UK availability. Thank you again!

2. Anonymous wrote: July 12, 2012 10:56am

Will there be a home version of these glasses? I have neighbors who are hearing impaired, but I find the subtitles very distracting on the screen. It would be great to have these to make everyone happy at home!

1. Kathleen wrote: July 12, 2012 7:31pm

We’re always interested in new uses for our technologies, but at this time, there are no plans for a consumer home version of Sony’s Entertainment Access Glasses.Thanks for reading!

1. Anonymous wrote: November 3, 2012 11:38pm

I too would love a home version of these because my husband is hard of hearing. He got to try the glasses @ a Regal Cinema here in Washington and he loved it! It was the first time in 7 years of marriage that he didn’t have to lean over to me and ask what some character was saying that made everyone else in the audience laugh. He got to be in on the joke too! It meant so much to us. Thank you to all those who brought this to life and please let me know if you plan on coming out with a home version.

2. Michael wrote: December 29, 2012 8:03am

I would dearly love a pair of subtitle glasses. I don’t need 3D, I only need subtitles for any viewing device I see- examples: home tv, computer, smartboard at school, opera hall, etc. Someone needs to create a standard and sell inexpensive versions. I foresee multiple pair ownership, just like magnified reading glasses.

3. Anonymous wrote: July 20, 2012 2:03pm

As a hard of hearing/deaf individual I very much appreciate this and other technologies allowing me and those like me to enjoy more and more of what society has to offer; at the same time I love the irony that the You Tube video is not captioned!

1. Kathleen wrote: July 23, 2012 5:11pm

Glad to hear it, thanks for reading. And good point about the subtitling – we’ll work on it!

4. Anonymous wrote: July 31, 2012 10:56am

Hello, I am a photo researcher for Pearson. I am working with an author who would like to use an image of the subtitle glasses in her college level textbook. Is there an email address of someone that I can directly contact for permission and an image? Thanks!

1. Kathleen wrote: July 31, 2012 2:26pm

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I’ve sent you an email with more details.

5. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2012 12:53pm

It would have been really good to have had this article with *subtitles* on – I’m deaf and would really like to know more about these glasses! Any sign of them being readily available yet to use? (Sorry if this has already been answered in the clip; I can’t hear it). Cheers.

6. Anonymous wrote: October 3, 2012 12:57pm

Forget my last comment; I got it. My *cc* button didn’t work (but it may have been my broadband being slow). Got it now; THANKS! (Fingers crossed for cineworld getting these spex – although they’re a bit slower on the uptake than my broadband!

7. Anonymous wrote: October 5, 2012 3:02pm

This is exciting news. My teenage daughter is deaf and this would allow her to be able to see movies with her friends. We do not have any Regal cinemas in the Houston area. I would like to present Sony Subtitle Glasses to theater chains we have access to here in Houston. How much do they cost and how would a theater contact Sony?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 8, 2012 11:17am

Hi there, glad you are as excited about this as we are! I’ve forwarded your information to the team that handles the subtitle glasses. Thanks for commenting.

8. Anonymous wrote: October 15, 2012 12:27pm

My girlfriend needs subtitles, no matter what I say, she is very self-conscious about it and hates it that only 2 movies (usually not the ones we want to see) a week are show at the local cinema.
    She also hates imposing subtitles on her flatmates at home.
    Is there any way we can encourage our local cinema (Showcase, in the UK) to adopt your technology, and will we also buy the glasses and ‘cc’ broadcaster separately for use with any home entertainment centre?

1. Kathleen wrote: October 15, 2012 12:53pm

Very sweet of you to inquire about this for your girlfriend. I think the best way to go about this is to reach out to Sony UK and ask them about the subtitle glasses. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en Thanks very much for commenting!

1. Anonymous wrote: October 17, 2012 4:23am

Will do, thanks.

9. Anonymous wrote: November 11, 2012 7:36pm

Hi my name is lauren and im 14, i have sever hearing lost and i could never go to movie theater with my friends becaus my loccal theater don’t provide C.C. my paent would love for me to have this, are they selling this yet, or are they still testing it out, if they are still testing it out, could i try it out for sony, young kid will most likely get this if they hard of hearing soo you will probably need a young kid opinion.

10. Anonymous wrote: November 13, 2012 12:52pm

My wife has the same problem at home. We have a Sony BR, AV with soundbar and 55″ Tv and are delighted with it except….
    My wife wears hearing aids and can have a device that beams signal direct to the hearign aids. Problem is that there is on way to send audio out to the device since we are using the soundbar. Only solution seems to be to remove the av system and use the TV sound and the digital audio out to send signal to the earphones. As more of us age Sony could really help out by providing a device which aids the hearing impaired at home.

11. Anonymous wrote: December 1, 2012 9:40pm

I am hearing impaired. Have used captioned glasses and loved them. I started thinking why not have them for any movie whether it has the captioning option or not.
    When will the Sony subtitle glasses become available for public purchase?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 5, 2012 12:49pm

We’re always interested in new uses for our technologies, but currently, there are no plans for a consumer home version of Sony’s Entertainment Access Glasses. Thanks for your question!

12. Anonymous wrote: December 2, 2012 5:55pm

Why are the subtitles a neon green rather than white? And they seemed to flash on and then go rather than stay for a second or two. I left the movie after 10 minutes.

1. Kathleen wrote: December 3, 2012 10:37am

How strange that you experienced this. Did you tell the theater about it? I’ll forward your feedback along to the team and let them know. Thanks for your feedback.

13. Anonymous wrote: December 21, 2012 10:49am

Hi,before the new Sony glasses was available ….still the open captions are the bestest than the Sony closed captioned glasses…I just can’t figure out sometimes of whom the characters are talking to …I left after 30 minutes ……open captions needs to come back to the theaters and stay on….Sony glasses are so confusing ….I’m hard of hearing profoundly deaf….glasses are like wearing a horse blinds!…..

14. Jennifer wrote: January 31, 2013 10:36pm

I liked them BUT they’re too heavy. Half way through there was already an indentation. If you could please make them LIGHTER that would be appreciated but right now I will pass on them till a newer series comes out- thank you

15. renan santana wrote: March 31, 2013 7:34pm

i would like to create my own movie glasses but to show subtitles for any one wanting to watch a movie in any language. even a wireless glasses with ear buds to give you the option to watch and listen any movie in your native language. Patent pending. ras

16. Mandy wrote: May 27, 2013 3:01pm

Where can we buy these glasses? My mom is deaf and wewere half joking it would be great if they existed, and low and behold they may. Just as we thought to make them too. Is it possible yet to purchase these for her? THank you very much, Mandy

1. Kathleen wrote: May 30, 2013 10:40am

Hi Mandy thanks for your interest! Unfortunately these glasses are only available at the cinema. We don’t have a consumer version for purchase.

17. Sue wrote: May 31, 2013 2:36am

As a hard of hearing person I miss out on many things in life that hearing people seem to take for granted, such as following the dialogue at the cinema, so I’m really pleased to see that these glasses are available and would love to use them, but have not come across them in the UK cinemas. How can I find out if they are used in the UK?

1. Kathleen wrote: June 4, 2013 10:43am

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your comment! Your best bet would be to reach out to your local support team. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts Hope this helps.

18. Sheila Hoebel wrote: August 25, 2013 10:16am

Hi, I went to a movie last night for the first time in 25 years. I really enjoyed the movie. Only complaint I had was glasses heavy and don’t caption music.. other than that it was a great experience.. its about time the deaf can go enjoy movies.

1. Kathleen wrote: August 25, 2013 1:25pm

Hi Sheila, glad to know that you were able to enjoy the benefits of this technology. We appreciate the feedback and will pass it along!

19. Angie Harrell wrote: October 25, 2013 3:13pm

I tried the movie glasses for the first time today and was very disappointed. They are too heavy and tight. The glasses caused pressure on my nose as well as pressure behind the ear at my cochlear implant site.

1. Kathleen wrote: October 30, 2013 3:43pm

Hi Angie, Yikes! That’s no good. We haven’t heard this feedback before but appreciate you sharing it with us. Will be sure to pass along to the product team.

20. Barbara wrote: November 9, 2013 5:49am

What theaters besides Regal offer these in the US, especially New Jersey and New York area?