FIRST LOOK: Sony's new action camera

by Kathleen 06/26/2012

Our hearts are beating, our blood is flowing, our adrenaline is pumping. Here’s why: Sony’s developing a new type of hi-def wearable video camera for POV and action sports filming, and we’re giving you – our stellar fans – the first look at the device!

The video camera is tiny and lightweight, but it houses Sony’s hallmark SteadyShot® image stabilization technology, Exmor® R CMOS image sensor, and an ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss® Tessar® lens.

That means, whether you’re shredding major powder, jumping out of a plane, or kayaking through an epic waterfall, you’re capturing super high-quality video of it to show off to your family and friends. And there’ll be ruggedized and waterproof housings available so the camera can do its job in even the most extreme environments.

We’ll keep sharing updates and details about the product so be sure to stay tuned.

1. Anonymous wrote: July 3, 2012 2:28pm

Just don’t forget the chest harness and something for the bike frame! I am wanting to buy something next year for mountain biking and those will be important to me. Thanks

2. Anonymous wrote: July 4, 2012 2:01pm

Do better that all the others! No rolling shutter-jello effect, not too wide angle (say 135 not 170) or at least some lens options, 1080p 60fps if possible or higher for slow mo. Steady shot effective in motor racing vibration situations. Mount options especially roll bar, tripod base, suction base, etc. See GoPro for good choices.

I could go on about what does not satisfy me about the current offerings!

3. Anonymous wrote: July 5, 2012 11:24pm

Needs to have at least four or five small D-rings or holes in the casing to enable people to tie these things on to vehicles with cable ties. Lens needs to be rotatable like Contour.

4. Anonymous wrote: July 6, 2012 9:43am

If this model can really do 1080p 60fps(28Mps)in MP4 format, Sony doesn’t need to do much for advertising, it will sell extreme well by itself.

5. Anonymous wrote: July 6, 2012 1:21pm

Needed: Picatinny mount

1. Kathleen wrote: July 6, 2012 5:16pm

Seeing really great questions and feedback here, guys, thanks so much! Can’t wait to share more details with you. Keep a lookout.

6. Anonymous wrote: July 9, 2012 9:01am

I want to use that for exploring caves. good work Sony

1. Anonymous wrote: July 14, 2012 6:47pm

I wonder how good it is in low light. As an underwater cave diver I want something that works better in low light than the GoPro2. Steady shot is really nice but working in low light would be more helpful to me.

7. Anonymous wrote: July 15, 2012 3:22pm

Looks interesting, how will you line up the camera? Any plans to include GPS data, speed and/or location?

Do you need any testors?
    I’ve shot over 50 hours of helmet video in the last two months with three more outings already planned for the next 6 weeks.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 16, 2012 1:10pm

Great questions! Wish we could share more details, but hang tight … we’ll fill you in when we can.

8. Anonymous wrote: July 18, 2012 3:50am

Kathleen, do you know if it will be released for winter 2012/13?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 18, 2012 10:46am

Hi Daniel, it’s scheduled to launch before winter 2012. Thanks for reading!

9. Anonymous wrote: July 24, 2012 5:57am

Quite sad that it won’t be released for this summer (Europe)… (When a lot of people use this kind of camera for their holidays)
    I need to buy one more POV camera for my motorcycle trip in middle August, and I would love to get one of this…. But I think won’t be possible, unfortunatly…
    I’ll have to buy one more model from the competitor… :{
    Maybe next year…

10. Anonymous wrote: July 26, 2012 3:45am

when will you make one smaller ?
    this thing is way too big… should be 1/2 the size or smaller.

1. Kathleen wrote: July 26, 2012 2:07pm

Hi, thanks for reading! Here’s how small it really is: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/sonys-action-cam-hands-on/

11. Anonymous wrote: July 26, 2012 7:55am

Is the camera snow proof without the housing or does it have to be housed like the GoPro?
    the JVC Adixxion camera appears to need no housing.
    When will the technical specs be published??
    wanting to upgrade to HD for coming winter and now have even more choices…
    already use Sony HDR & VIO POV

1. Kathleen wrote: July 26, 2012 2:08pm

All great questions! Hang tight, we’ll share details soon. Thanks for reading.

12. Anonymous wrote: August 6, 2012 5:33pm

Was just at the sumemr OR, they scanned my badge, but I’d like contact details for pre-orders in a couple of months. Who can help me here?

1. Kathleen wrote: August 8, 2012 2:34pm

Hi, thanks for reaching out! Stay tuned for the formal announcement (and pre-order details) coming soon…

1. Anonymous wrote: August 12, 2012 9:45pm

Hope it releases before mid september for my trip to the Himalayas!

1. Kathleen wrote: August 13, 2012 1:50pm

Stay tuned!

13. Anonymous wrote: October 4, 2012 9:19am

I want one, let us know when itis finally out. I fly rc helis and want to shoot videos, will ther be a live video output like the go pro ???
    Dan

1. Kathleen wrote: October 8, 2012 11:24am

Hi Dan! It’s now shipping: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666484197

The Action Cam has Wi-Fi but no livestreaming capabilities.

14. Cameras wrote: March 11, 2013 6:41am

I think now this camera is released