Video Demos of Newly Announced Cameras, Lenses & Camcorders

by Gina 08/23/2011

It’s one thing to read a press release when a new gadget is released; it’s another thing to get some hands on time with it for a video. SGNL by Sony had a unique opportunity to demo the entire line up of new cameras, lenses, accessories and camcorders announced this evening for a special in-depth look to show our viewers. Additionally we had Kenta Honjo, a Camera product team member, on hand to answer our pressing questions about the future of the a700 camera along with some in-depth questions on Sony’s new Alpha lineup.

And if we didn’t get to all the questions you might have, never fret. We’re collecting questions from now until September 9th , and will ask the product team to answer as many as they can for folks. You can ask your questions below, via YouTube comment (comment on videos) or by heading to our Sony Camera Club where we have a special forum topic set up. And if you’d like to see more sample photos taken with any of the gadgets you see, don’t be shy. Tell us what settings you’d like tested and shown in photos and we’ll be sure to share more photos along with those answers towards the end of September before items start hitting doorsteps. For the full scoop, check out our videos below.

1. Anonymous wrote: August 23, 2011 9:23pm

Is it full frame????????

1. Anonymous wrote: August 23, 2011 10:31pm

APC size(23.5×15.6mm)

2. Anonymous wrote: August 23, 2011 10:24pm

Question on the NEX 7. Many other cameras, such as my Canon 5dII, have an AF-ON button where you can disable Autofocus from half-shutter press and use the AF-ON button act as your autofocus button. This feature is essential in the way I do photography. The AEL button on the 7 is intriguing. So here are my two questions:

1. Can you disable autofocus from the shutter and program the AEL button to focus?
    and/or
    2. When set to Manual Focus mode, can you switch the dial to AEL and use that button to autofocus while in manual focus mode? This is really useful because it would allow you to auto focus in manual mode and then fine tune the focus as you please manually. This is exactly how the Fuji x100 works.

hope that question was clear.. Let me know as I want to purchase this camera if it has that last critical feature.

3. Anonymous wrote: August 23, 2011 10:42pm

APS-C size (23.5×15.6mm)

4. Anonymous wrote: August 23, 2011 11:39pm

Please let me know how quiet the shutter is on the nex 7 if you disable the first curtain.. I’m hoping it can be made as quiet as possible.

5. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 2:47am

If you do decide to buy one, be sure not to pre-order from Sony directly. If you do, you will be unable to return the product. Sony Style calculates return date from the date of order, not the date of shipment. If you pre-order now, you’ll have ordered more than a month before you receive it, and if it’s a dud, you’ll be stuck with it. Happened with my a55 — which is not a bad camera, but is completely unsuitable to how I use cameras.

My guess is that this will never make it through moderation.

6. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 4:26am

Hey. Sorry I posted a question before but I rewrote it to be more clear. Here it is again:

Can I access Autofocus by pressing the af/mf button in the NEX 7? I think this was possible in the A700 according to a forum member. In this mode the camera will be in manual focus mode – the shutter release will not activate AF. Only a press of the AF/MF button will activate AF. Once you have achieved focus you can release the button and focus will stay where it is unless you manually change it, or unless you again press the AF/MF button.

So the question is can the AF/MF button be configured to activate autofocus so, when the camera is in manual mode, it gives you the ability to lock focus.

It’s an important feature (my canon 5d has it) and it’s the only feature that’s keeping me from ordering the camera. Let me know if anyone has insight into this! thanks.

7. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 5:47am

I’m not sure if you say this in the video, I’ve watched it twice now, but does the nex-7 come with TMirrorT without having to put on that bulky adapter?

1. Anonymous wrote: August 27, 2011 1:51pm

NEX 7 is a mirrorless camera

8. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 6:44am

Congratulations Sony on finally designing a camera, the NEX-7, that meets the needs of the serious photographer, with quality construction, controls in the right places, the ability to use any lens from any manufacturer, a viewfinder, and a incredible 24 megapixel cmos sensor! I cannot wait to purchase the camera and the remarkable Carl Zeiss 24mm lens. Sony has now set the new standard which other cameras will be judged by. I’m a retired professional photographer that has owned almost every camera ever built. My next camera will be the NEX-7!

1. Gina wrote: August 26, 2011 7:19am

Hi Guest. Thank you so much for the feedback. A retired pro photographer? Very cool. What was your area of specialty?

9. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 9:29am

we need 24p and 60p in the nex vg10…

1. Gina wrote: August 26, 2011 7:23am

Thanks for the feedback. Below are some video mode specs. Hope this info is helpful!
      Video Mode : AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/ 60p/24p 60i (FX/FH); FX- 24Mbps, FH – 17Mbps; 1440×1080/60i HQ -9 Mbps

Video Resolution : 1920 x 1080 captured @ 30p (29.97p), recorded in AVCHD 60i (59.95i)

10. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 9:31am

When it’s expected to release the nex-7?
    what about 60mm 1.8 macro?

11. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 2:40pm

Does the A77 have interval or time lapse shooting? I know that the A77 doesn’t have tethering to a PC or Laptop, which is what the A700 uses for interval shooting. I’D hope the A77 has incamera interval shooting, which would be similar to the incamera interval shooting found in the Konica Minolta 7D DSLR. Incamera interval shooting is a handy tool for field work.

12. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 3:23pm

very excited about this product. Will the video work with all a mount lenses?

13. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 7:06pm

I especially interested in the NEX-7 and CZ 24mm f1.8 lens.
    Sony should ASAP come out with more CZ lenses for NEX.

I need high quality (CZ if possible) standard zoom like 16-80 (a fixed aperture of f2.8 would be the greatest), then a suitable lens for street/journalism photography like a 35mm f1.4 (equal to 50mm in aps-c sensor, right), then an ultra wide like 8-16mm f4.0 for some architectural and landscape photography, and last but not least, a telephoto zoom of 70-400mm for nature photography, of course.

And I know, you’ll ask me to buy the new translucent adapter and then I can use all those A mount lenses, but, what we need is small body lenses. That’s the concept of the NEX, right? A small and discreet camera? I might as well buy a A77 if I don’t need something which is small and discreet, and it’s cheaper than a NEX-7, too.

Also, it would be perfect if Sony come out with more fixed lenses by CZ like the Leica line up.
    I want 12mm f4, 15mm f4, 20mm f2, 24mm f1.8 (thanks for already having this one), 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, & 300mm f4 and f2.8.

Long live the kingdomm of NEX!

14. Anonymous wrote: August 24, 2011 8:54pm

I am very happy that the a77 is finally here. I am pleased with the features and specs, so much so that I preordered one today (along with a vertical grip). It will sit nicely next to my a700, a55, Maxxum 7 (film body) and my old DSC-S85. Maybe I should have kept my a100 and my Konica Minolta 7D, my collection would have been that much better. I think the Sony Camera Division’s future looks very bright.

1. Gina wrote: August 26, 2011 7:26am

Thanks Guest and thanks for being such a long time Sony camera user. It sounds like you’ve also been a photographer for a long time. What’s been fun to watch on the NEX line are all the third party adapters so if you have any old glass, it might breath new life into it. Thanks again for posting and do share some pictures!

15. Anonymous wrote: August 25, 2011 10:09am

The NEX 7 looks great!
    Any plans for compact lenses that match the sleek body while maintaining high performance? Like maybe, NEX lens design with deliberate large CA & SA, which is software corrected -
    ie, halve the glass and yet improve performance ?
    A truly compact NEX with DSLR performance would be very useful.

16. Anonymous wrote: August 25, 2011 11:57am

what the helll sony make a77 ?? we should sell our canon 5d m2 and entire lens range. because 24mp and 12fps !! omg !!

17. Anonymous wrote: August 25, 2011 12:36pm

Amazing DSLR camera finally in the market….congratulation

1. Gina wrote: August 26, 2011 7:18am

thanks! glad you like!

18. Anonymous wrote: August 25, 2011 3:09pm

Will the SEL55210 and other lenses for the NEX7 be available in black finish please?

19. Gina wrote: August 26, 2011 7:29am

HI Everyone, Thanks again for these great questions. Just to remind folks that we’re collecting all of them and will post info to people next month. Be sure to check the box in the “Leave a Comment” area to notify you of follow up comments by email or subscribe to our RSS feed so you get all the Q&A info as it gets posted.

And I’d also like to invite everyone to our Sony Camera Club. Lots of other Sony camera owners to hang out with and discuss topics!
    flickr.com/groups/SonyCameraClub

1. Anonymous wrote: August 26, 2011 9:10am

I hope this is not a crazy request. I’ve a big Sony fan and have been anticipating the launch of the new era Sony toys such as the NEX-7, VG20, and A77. Is there ANYWAY on earth to get my hands on an A77 prior to its release date? My brother’s wedding is September 10th here in Philadelphia and then off I go on a backpacking tour of SE Asia and Malaysia. I have been filming my past trip to Asia and posting them on Youtube with much enjoyment by the viewers. I am willing to pay for the camera now and submit all the images to Sony as a promotional ad and field test the camera. I am also willing to pay for this camera now. You are the 1st person I’ve contacted. Could you please see if you could kindly help in anyway?

Alex

20. Anonymous wrote: August 26, 2011 10:34am

At last, I have found a camera that makes me crazy. I have always wanted to own one, but many of those makes out there are not up to my expectations. Just that little bit undecided about the size for now. I have a good budget. My problem now is not knowing which to own. A77 or NEX 7 ???? I am a novice in photography but I am a serious enthusiast. For the long run which shall I buy? Care to advise me?

21. Anonymous wrote: August 27, 2011 2:02pm

Hi, i´m really amazed what Sony put together with the Nex and Alpha lineup! Congratulations!!.. just once again i dont really get Sonys frustrating sales stategies: No A77+16-50mm Lens Bundle in Canada?? no Nex 5N Body only in Canada?? and in general the White Nex 5N is only available in certain areas of the world and with kitlens only?? whats all that about??

22. Anonymous wrote: September 4, 2011 5:27pm

I am a Sony loyalist and have an a850, but I must say: I am HUGELY disappointed by the increase in prices for lenses. I will consider moving to another system.

23. Anonymous wrote: September 6, 2011 8:54pm

I’m considering an a65 or a77 as replacement for my a300 and camcorder. I have seen the Sony product alert for the a33 and a55, stating that the continuous video recording time is limited due to the sensor overheating. (The a55 can only record for about 6 min. with SteadyShot ON and 30 C ambient temperature.) Do the a65 and a77 suffer from the same problem, or has the overheating problem been solved? What is the continuous video recording time with SteadyShot ON and 30 C ambient temperature?

24. Anonymous wrote: September 8, 2011 8:12pm

I would like to know if the NEX7 has a manual input for a Mic? When attach the Translucent Mirror adaptor, will this make the NEX7 acting like the a65 or a77 per se?

Blu

25. Anonymous wrote: September 10, 2011 9:40am

Does the NEX-7 offer a wireless remote shutter-release controller? If not, are there any controllers of other Sony systems which might work in the NEX-7 hotshoe?

26. Anonymous wrote: May 20, 2012 4:13am

I have sen the video, i like a77, so when can i buy this camera, how much did it cost.