15 College Bloggers tell us how they got Charged and Ready for College

by Team Sony 08/16/2011

In a few weeks a mass migration will take place as a new crop of kids gets geared up for college. Sony teamed up with Microsoft to put new VAIO® S series laptops in the hands of 15 college bloggers and asked them to complete a summer homework assignment. The challenge: For up to 15 hours, they would put the VAIO S laptop with the optional sheet battery attached to the test doing whatever it is that college students do without plugging it in to a power outlet. That’s right, with the sheet battery attached, we asked the bloggers to avoid searching for power sources and instead call on the power of the added sheet battery the entire day. How did they do? As you can see, some veered from the homework assignment but each has a valuable point of view from an unboxing to a photo tour and music playlist to help document the day.

Everyone loves a good unboxing video so to kick off this post we wanted to share this one from the folks at College Grotto.

Many students will travel far from home to get to their college campus. Brett from College Cures took the VAIO SB series on the road for a cross country adventure. See how the VAIO laptop helped contribute to an awesome trip, even with a 3 hour airport delay.

Doug from Cheap Scholar documented his 15 hour day with a photo show and music play list. If you’re a Dave Matthews fan, you don’t want to miss this one.  You can also look for a “day in the life” from Parent’s College Countdown.

Alex from the University of South Carolina points out how awesome it is to live “in a world free of tangled power cords and low batteries”. Yes, there is nothing worse than getting wound up in a nest of wires and having to keep track of all those power cords.

Many of you spoke up when we shared the SGNL by Sony video comparison of the MacBook® Pro vs VAIO S Series. Take a look at these posts from Doug from the College Info GeekJeff at EdudemicHonest College and Her Campus for other points of view that put the two laptops head to head.

Check out Gear Diary’s 15 hour torture test. Blogger, Michael provides clear power plans and various operating conditions to squeeze out just over 15 hours of power.

Shep from Hack College title his blog “Insane battery life makes VAIO-s series great for students” Read his account that includes some thoughts on video and gaming use on the VAIO S Series.

For parents on the search for the right laptop for their college bound kid, here are seven things to look for when searching for the perfect computer for your college student from University Parent and a detailed review by the team at College Survival.

Finally, the Noell and Shanilla of Campus Splash do a nice walk through of the VAIO S Series via a video blog.  Ladies we love your vlog and forgive you for having the VAIO logo upside down the whole time. ;)

Now tell us your story. Are you off to college or sending a student away for higher education? How will you use your laptop computer and would it be able to keep up with a 15 hour day? If you’re a VAIO owner, send us a link to a photo of you and your laptop. And for those of you interested in checking out the VAIO S Series check out a bonus offer at Sony Store until September 17, 2011 to save money on the VAIO S and sheet battery.

* Estimates only based on Sony engineering testing with solid state drive (SSD) configuration.  Actual performance will vary based on configurable options, environmental conditions and usage.  Battery capacity decreases over time and use.

1. Steven W Neadeau Sr. wrote: August 16, 2011 5:44pm

Hello from my cruz tablet from andrid.

1. Sukhjit wrote: August 23, 2011 10:09am

Hello back!

2. Anonymous wrote: August 17, 2011 8:15pm

i love my vaio

1. Sukhjit wrote: August 23, 2011 9:00am

Thanks a million for the comment! Which model do you have?

3. Anonymous wrote: August 21, 2011 6:26am

I have a Vaio X-Series with the included large capacity battery (8200 mAh) and I can use it all day without ever bringing the charger. It lasts about 12 hrs (no optimism here) plus 2 hrs on the smaller battery on heavy use. While the CPU is a little underpowered on my X, I really love the fact that Sony laptops have been improving the battery life on their newer models. Thanks to the VAIO, my life in college has gotten a lot better. Thank you Sony.

1. Sukhjit wrote: August 23, 2011 8:54am

Thanks for stopping by the blog and for sharing your story! How long have you been a VAIO owner?

4. Anonymous wrote: January 2, 2012 10:47pm

I love my vaio. I was wondering is there a timber option on the webcam, if so how do you set it up?

1. Sukhjit wrote: January 5, 2012 10:08pm

Hello! Thanks for the comment. Always great to meet fellow VAIO fans. :) I’m actually not familiar with a “timber” option, so I’ll check in with the VAIO team and see what they recommend. In the meantime can you tell me what that option does?

5. Doug wrote: February 11, 2012 12:04am

I just purchased a Vaio VPCF2390X, it’s being shipped to me now… what is the difference between the F series and S and the other series?

I use mine for college, graphics, videso. My pc comes with a 1 gig dedicated video chip (yeah, cool) & 8 Ram. Can’t wait to get it. I was told one difference is weight.. but what else? This pc is supposely in the top 300% worldwide laptops made..so I know I got a good one… Is it better than the other series?

1. Sukhjit wrote: February 11, 2012 5:06pm

Congrats Doug! Is this your first VAIO? I’m looking forward to hearing from you after you’ve had it for a while. You have some great questions. One of the key differences between the F and the S is portability. The S is smaller, lighter but still powerful. I thought what might be best is to point you to a really great guide for all of our VAIO models. You can compare the features that matter most to you for each of the machines. Check this out: and make sure to watch the video guide. It goes a great job breaking down the differences http://ow.ly/913YE . Will you send us an unboxing video or something once your VAIO arrives? Keep in touch.