Quick Tip #103: Simple Tweaks to Fix a Touchy Touchpad

by Team Sony 06/17/2011

Editor’s Note: Premium Services Technicians are here to help and in this ongoing series, they’ll offer me their favorite tips and provide answers to some of the most common service related questions they hear at both the call center and in Sony Stores.

I actually sat down to write on another tip for this post when a few accidental bumps of my touchpad changed my mind about today’s topic. There’s nothing more annoying than a temperamental touchpad.  Accidentally tapping your touchpad while typing can scatter your thoughts all over the word doc or comment box you’re working in – leaving you with the ominous task of putting all the pieces back together as you had originally intended.

So in today’s quick tip, I’ve compiled a simple change to your touchpad’s settings that can go a long way in making your life a lot less frustrating – and your touchpad a lot less touchy.

UPDATE 1: (Step-by-step instructions for VAIO models using the Synaptics Touchpad Driver)

1. In Windows 7 click Start then Control Panel
  2. Within the Control Panel click Hardware and Sound
  3. In the window that appears, under the “Devices and Printers” catagory, select Mouse
  4. In the setting window that appears, click the Device Settings tab
  5. From the Device Settings tab, click the Settings button that appears halfway down
  6. In the new window that appears, examine the index of settings that appears in the left panel and expand the option labeled Pointing
  7. Click Touch Sensitivity (A)
  8. Reduce the touch sensitivity setting by moving the slide to the right, towards the Heavy Touch label.
    • Experiment with different levels of sensitivity until you find one suited for to your needs and how you type
  9. You can also reduce touch sensitivity by adjusting the Palm Check (A) setting towards Maximum (B)
    • This feature guards against operating the touch pad with your palm, as you might do while typing
    • This option will increase or decrease this feature’s ability to detect when you palm is touching the touch pad (vs. your finger)

*If the Device Settings tab is missing from your mouse settings window, you’ll need to re-install the touch pad driver from eSupport here.

Have a better tip?  Be sure to share yours in the comment section below.

UPDATE 2: After reading many of your comments, I realized I forgot to include step-by-step instructions for the alternate touchpad driver used on many other VAIO models.  You can find instructions below.  I hope this helps!  Please be sure to leave any additional feedback or follow up questions below.

(Step-by-step instructions for VAIO models using the Alps Pointing Device Driver)

1. In Windows 7 click Start then Control Panel
  2. Within the Control Panel click Hardware and Sound
  3. In the window that appears, under the “Devices and Printers” catagory, select Mouse
  4. In the setting window that appears, click the Tapping tab
  5. From the Tapping tab, select Tap off when typing (A) and move the Delay after last key is hit sliderall the way to the right towards Long (B)
    • Note: if you prefer, you could also turn off the tapping feature of the touchpad; relegating the “click” function of the touchpad to just the left and right buttons hardware buttons found directly below the touchpad.
    • To do this, simply “deselect” the Tapping option (C) found at the top left-hand corner of the Tapping Tab then click Apply
  6. You can also reduce touch sensitivity by enabling the Palm Detection feature (similar to the Palm Check setting describe above)
    • To toggle on or off, navigate to the Palm and Typing tab within the same Mouse Properties window
    • Select or deselect the Enable palm rejection setting (A)
  7. You can also experiment with Invalidating Multi-touch Gestures While Typing and Invalidating Mouse Cursor Movement While Typing settings (B).
    • These settings can be found within the same tab outlined in Line 6

1. JMD wrote: June 4, 2013 6:53pm

These directions don’t work on my SONY E Series running WINDOWS 8 with the ALPS device. I have updated my driver but it is from 2010. I’m so freaking annoyed with this that I can’t stand it. It has caused me to mistype in an embarrassing fashion, more than once. Was told that there MUST be a fix, but I cant’ find it!

1. HARVEY wrote: June 7, 2013 6:25am

I TRIED IT WITH MY NEW VAIOS SVE14132 WIN 8 OS AND IT WORKS GREAT THE GUY’S AT SONY DOD NOT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT THIS. ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR KEYBOARD AND PLAY WITH YOU COMPUTOR. WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS DOUBLE CLICK ON THE SENSITIVITY TO GET TO THE SLIDING ARROW MOVE TO RT THEN CLICK APPLY ,OK, OK, IT SHOULD WORK.

2. tin wrote: June 29, 2013 7:20am

Why does the setting tab not on my laptop? is there a need for me to download a missing driver or something? please help me

3. Tia wrote: July 7, 2013 1:20am

OMG!
    You have just saved my laptops life thank you.(from going out the window)

My NEW SVE1713C5E was just about to be taken back for repair because the touchpad didn’t do what i wanted it to do.
    It clicked on everything it passed, or picked it up and moved it.
    Sony have got me to try everything possible that there is to try ….. except this.
    Shouldn’t you tell the tech guys at Sony? lol

4. Nanette wrote: July 16, 2013 1:14pm

Do you have any advice for the touchy touchpad for a Sony Vaio PCG 7141L. I tried following your options’ 1&2 but when I go to mouse in the control panel I only have buttons, pointers, pointer options, hardware. The hardware says I have PS/2 compatible mouse and it’s working fine. But I have a touchpad. Can you help

1. Sony Support USA wrote: July 18, 2013 9:11am

Hi Nanette, Thank you for your post. As for your model VGNNS140E (PCG7141L), it does have the Synaptic PS/2 touchpad. If you see it as a PS/2 Compatible device, then that means either the touchpad drivers are corrupted or in the past you have used an external usb mouse that windows had installed the drivers for. Please go to this link (http://goo.gl/UHdEv) to download and re-install the touchpad drivers. Please make sure to remove any external USB mouse before installing them. After restarting the computer, this will give you the DEVICE SETTING tab that is missing from the process above. However, you will not be able to change the sensitivity setting because this model does not have that setting. It only has Buttons (for left and right buttons action). Only certain models have the sensitivity setting. Also, I regret that there are no other settings to change in windows for this either. Best Regards

1. Tara wrote: July 28, 2013 11:26am

So who do I contact because I use this computer for school and I just want to throw it through a window so aggrivated when trying to use this laptop because the cursor had a mind of its own. Sony wont help either… I paid DOUBLE for this laptop and my HP’s have work fine… I got rid of those to get this one & it was the worst decision i ever made… Just typing this has raised my blood pressure 1000 points… I had to retype because the cursor moves or just deletes what i type

5. Sony Support USA wrote: July 30, 2013 7:38am

Hello Tara, We completely understand your frustrations and empathize with what you are going through. I was able to find something that might be helpful on our esupport page (http://goo.gl/bGjeJG). If after reading and following the steps that are provided doesn’t resolve the issue, please call the phone number that is on that link. I’m sure someone there would be more than happy to help you over the phone. Thanks! =)

6. Patti A. wrote: August 3, 2013 7:30pm

I am a total novice when it comes to maneuvering around my Vaio. I just received my new laptop about 2 weeks ago. Along with everyone else, I’m about to throw it across the room. I have the very same complaints. The pointer is all over the place when I’m typing. Yesterday it took me 2 hours to type a letter that should have been typed in 10 minutes! I am still under my 30 day warranty. I am seriously giving thought to returning this laptop and purchasing a different product from Dell or anyone else that sells laptops. In 2 weeks I have managed to contact the “help” dept (located in the Phillipine Islands) 4 different times for my whole laptop crashing. If someone could actually walk me through the steps to take on my laptop, loaded with Windows 8 (that’s another story), I might consider keeping it. As far as the instructions presented, so far, they have all been greek to me. My laptop is an SVS-131290. If Sony recommends that I should contact IT service again, I will do so, but I will wait to see if anyone contacts me with instructions that are understandable to a novice. At least I got to air a couple of my concerns. I am still on the fencepost about returning this thing.

7. john hudson wrote: November 5, 2013 2:21am

I had problems with a Sony touch pad which were finally traced to using a 3rd party replacement power supply. This worked fine but had a lot of AC leakage which affected the touch pad causing jumping about randomly and poor sensitivity to touch. Earthing the laptop to ground fixed it. Alternatively use the proper Sony power supply.

8. Alireza wrote: November 8, 2013 1:13am

I got a Sony Vaio Pro 13 a few days ago and too frustrated with touchpad issue. What the hell is wrong with the touch pad of such an expensive notebook? It keeps jumping randomly and clicking here and there. Seems too sensitive….SONY, I got this notebook to feel safe of buying a brand notebook free from faults…

9. Jebranthine wrote: December 6, 2013 5:38am

If you open the troubleshooting portion of the Vaio manual, it says something about electrostatic waves affecting the touchpad and to restart your computer when it clicks around randomly like that. Make sure you touch a ground as your body is likely holding the static charge (try touching something that usually gives you a static shock for example) and restart your computer. Works for me, since these settings changes did not.

10. Nick wrote: January 6, 2014 11:38pm

Thank you sooo much for this fix. I’ve been trying to fix this for ages and the other guides did not help as I didn’t have the newer driver for my model installed. Absolute godsend and I’m no longer continually palm clicking all over the place.

11. Steph S. wrote: February 1, 2014 11:35am

Holy Moly – THANK YOU!!!!