Announced today in Tokyo not one, but two Sony® Tablets

by Team Sony 04/25/2011

Months of rumor, speculation and excitement about a Sony tablet were topped in Tokyo just moments ago as – not one, but two new Sony tablets were unveiled to a group of journalists at a press event. The new tablets identified, for now, by the code names S1 and S2 will be powered by the latest Android 3.0 operating system and are WiFi and WAN® (3G/4G) compatible.

Take a look at this video that gives you a closer look at the unique shapes and sizes of the new devices.

Both devices are primed for easy and portable entertainment, web browsing, access to email, viewing videos, games, books and more. The tablets will also have access to networked content via Sony’s Qriocity™ Music and Video Services as well as PlayStation® Suite and the Sony Reader™ Store. Get more info from the official press statement here.

Here’s a quick breakdown of the two new devices:

With its off-center of gravity form factor, the 9.4-inch S1 offers stability and a sense of lightness, offering comfortable use for hours.

The dual screen S2 (pictured in featured image above) comes with two 5.5-inch displays which can be used together as one large screen to browse websites and more. They can also be used for different functions as users can watch a video on one screen and input commands on the other, or check email on one screen and use the other as a soft keyboard.

Stay tuned for updates… these tablets will be available globally this fall.

1. Abhishek Dahiya wrote: April 25, 2011 8:55pm

woooooooohoooooooooo………………….. great sony!!!!!! KEEP IT UP

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 25, 2011 9:04pm

Thanks Abhishek! Appreciate the support!

2. Kevin Adair wrote: April 25, 2011 8:58pm

Bravo Sony. These look like great devices. I wil get one of each. I hope they have a long life span and you do not replace them with something more revolutionary in the next 6 months after they are released.

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 25, 2011 9:03pm

Kevin, thanks for the comment. I’m with you.. I’ve also got both devices in my view.

3. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2011 9:20pm

As one of big fans of Sony, I’m excited to know this good news! But I want to know more of its tech spec. Trust it will not disappoint!

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 25, 2011 9:22pm

Thank you for the comment and for sharing your excitement. We will share more specs as we get them.

4. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2011 9:34pm

Hopefully the PSN is back up by then.

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:54am

Have you been checking here for status on the PSN: http://blog.us.playstation.com/

5. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2011 9:36pm

4 me thank you.. How Much? I.O.U. ok…

6. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2011 10:02pm

wooo … incredible, the best I’ve seen, I would like to have them.

7. Anonymous wrote: April 25, 2011 10:07pm

This sucks ass and will never be able to compete with the mighty iPad.

8. Ari Pakarinen wrote: April 25, 2011 11:37pm

Good Morning Tokyo, My coffee almost went up my nose!!
    This looks beautiful I hope it’s high resolution and light!

Have a productive week
    A

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:52am

Ari! Great comment! Made my day! We’ll share more specs as we get them. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

9. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 12:35am

Fantastic, I’m very keen to see the end pricepoint, as a loyal Sony consumer and Android fan, I can’t wait to see how this come out.

Please Sony, do not try to bundle this through mobile providers, I want it, but not on a contract.

Tablets are best used with wifi, at home, as a portable satellite of your internet connection, not as a bundled mobile device – I have a phone for that…

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:50am

Thank you very much for this feedback. Appreciate you sharing your point of view.

10. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 2:14am

What are / when can we know the prices of these?

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:49am

Hello, we will share that info when it’s available. No prices have been announced yet.

11. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 3:12am

oo man,,my worthwaiting,,

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:49am

Cheers! Thanks for the comment and for sharing our excitement.

12. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 3:29am

Said I wouldn’t buy a Tadlet until Sony does one! Thumbs up Sony!

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:48am

Hey there! Thanks for this note. I heard this comment quite a bit while listening to conversations online about the slew of new tablets. It’s great to hear our fans are holding out for Sony quality! Take care!

13. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 3:32am

I bet it tastes good too! I can’t wait!

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:47am

Hmm. ;) ok…. Thanks for the comment, though I wouldn’t suggest taking a bite out of any hardware. Have a great day!

14. Kashyap Baranwal wrote: April 26, 2011 4:23am

Looks Awesome!!!!!!

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:46am

Thanks Kashyap! Nice to see your comment on our blog! Appreciate your support.

15. Ashni Kumar wrote: April 26, 2011 5:41am

OMG..they r beautiful

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:46am

Ashni, thanks for the comment and I appreciate your excitement! Do you like one over the other, or are you thinking you need on of each. (that’s what I’m thinking ;)

16. DjD808 wrote: April 26, 2011 8:05am

the S1 is a nice looking piece of hardware.

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:45am

DjD808, thanks for the note. I agree!

17. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 8:11am

I want to know the price and NGP’s price . Can u tell me the positions of NGP and S2. And can I play better game on it . Always PS’game I want to play PS2′game on two of them

1. Sukhjit wrote: April 26, 2011 8:44am

Hello, We don’t have pricing info for you yet, but will make sure to update as soon as that’s made available. Sounds like gaming is what you’re most excited about. Here’s what I read on the official announcement” “through PlayStation®Suite, users can immerse themselves in high quality first generation PlayStation® titles”. Again, we’ll share news as we get it!

You can find the full announcement here: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201104/11-055E/

18. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 10:00am

i love it……

19. alwa7dawi wrote: April 26, 2011 10:58am

OLED please

20. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 11:40am

This is exciting! I am on iPad user, and have been wanting something like this dual screen for some time now. Thanks Sony I am excited to buy one as soon as they are available.

21. Michele Rasner McGraw wrote: April 26, 2011 11:55am

I never would have guessed that one that folds. That is an awesome feature. Can’t wait to see more. I am on my 2nd iPad and this one intrigues me.

22. Anonymous wrote: April 26, 2011 4:12pm

Sounds sweet — as long as it accepts standard sD memory cards instead of proprietary MemorySticks.

1. Anonymous wrote: April 29, 2011 7:54pm

Don’t sweat-all of their cameras have been accepting both SD and Memory Stick for two years now.

2. Anonymous wrote: May 4, 2011 6:45am

OH SOMETHING ELES TO F UP GOOD. THANK 4 TAT MAKE SURE U GET UR LIL 4 YEAR OLD TO PUT IT TOGETHER THEN SELL IT TO THE MASSES

23. Saeed Shahab wrote: May 3, 2011 9:05pm

I like it

1. Sukhjit wrote: May 5, 2011 9:32am

Thanks Saeed! Do you have a favorite?

24. Anonymous wrote: May 5, 2011 10:56pm

I’m a pretty loyal Sony fan, and I’ve been waiting for them to produce something like the S1 since tablets were first being dreamed up. I’ve even put off buying a tablet in the hope that Sony’d come out with something (the guys at the local SonyStyle store run and hide when I come in to try and get the scoop!). However, my biggest concern is timing. I’ve been waiting to get a new cell phone for months b/c the Xperia Arc still hasn’t released in the US. So is the “fall 2011″ timeframe realistic? If the S1 isn’t coming out until mid-2012, I’d rather get something cheap now and buy the Sony tablet later.

25. Anonymous wrote: May 6, 2011 4:52am

These two editions to the Table scene is looking interesting, encouraging to see some modest innovations in this area. looking forward to their release in the UK.

26. MrobertsOnline wrote: May 7, 2011 10:29am

I can’t wait to play with these; they look really sweet!

27. Anonymous wrote: May 8, 2011 11:56pm

So, when can we expect word on release dates, prices, specs and where can we see a real live demo? Have demo units been handed over to journalists and reporters so they can report firsthand experiences with it? I’m always wary of marketing videos that show me more flashy effects than actual product info and honestly, the products in this video look computer-generated to me. Are these real, actual finished products that people can hold and test now and if so, where/when can I check them out?

28. Anonymous wrote: May 9, 2011 2:08pm

I am thinking of buying a reading tablet is this going to be as good as am new tablet or will the it do as much as the reading tablet and more. http://www.readingbuff.net

29. Anonymous wrote: May 30, 2011 8:02am

What I want to know is will they fully intergrate with the PS3? giving me wireless access to my content.

30. Anonymous wrote: June 21, 2011 3:25am

Both devices are primed for easy and portable entertainment, web browsing, access to email, viewing videos, games, books and more. http://driverswin.com/

31. Yuri Im wrote: June 24, 2011 3:15pm

Im the one of Sony fans and so happy to heard this news.
    However, I just want to put my thoughts about this coming new tablet PC.
    In the tablet PC market, Apple and Samsung have already occupied with multi-function so, Sony should consider differentiation with them.
    In my opinion, Sony can reduce the contents for entertainment function such as game, music, electronic piano and etc. Moreover, Sony can increase information storage capacity of tablet PC, and has to launch office-version tablet PC that has basic office software such as Microsoft power point, Excel, Word or etc. by contracting with Microsoft. Because Microsoft’s office product is used the most all over the world, Sony’s tablet PC can be compatible with most documentaries.
    In this way, by selling this tablet PC, Sony can get profits gradually and receive favor of business consumers as a result.

I hope that Sony gets back their reputation with new products.

32. Yuri Im wrote: June 25, 2011 6:47am

Im the one of Sony fans and so happy to heard this news. :)
    However, I just want to put my thoughts about this coming new tablet PC.

I hope that Sony gets back their reputation with new products.

33. Anonymous wrote: June 27, 2011 9:10pm

Im the one of Sony fans and so happy to heard this news.

However, I just want to put my thoughts about this coming new tablet PC.

I hope that Sony gets back their reputation with new products.