Backstage Quick Tip #12: Transfer Files and Settings

by Team Sony 07/07/2010

Editors Note: Backstage Technicians are here to help and in this ongoing series, they’ll offer me their favorite tips and provide answers to some of the most common service related questions they hear at both the call center and in Sony Style Stores.

Have you just purchased a new VAIO® PC?  Have an old PC that still has a lot of meticulously crafted personal settings, internet bookmarks, photos, music, etc. that you’d like to have on your new primary VAIO PC?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you may like to know there’s any easy way to capture all your favorite files and settings on your old PC running Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or even XP and transfer them to your primary or new VAIO running Windows 7.  This quick tip will review just how you do it and walk you through the simple process, step-by-step.

Before you get started, here’s a couple things to keep in mind.

• What can you transfer?
    • User accounts and settings
    • Documents
    • Music
    • Photos
    • E-mail messages
    • Internet Favorites / Bookmarks
    • Videos

*Note:  You can transfer just about anything except other applications.

• Make sure your logged into both computers as an administrator.
  • Install Windows Easy Transfer on your old PC
    • You can download it here.
  • Decide how you want to transfer your information.  You can do it one of three ways:
    • External hard drive
    • Easy transfer cable
    • Network

*For more information, check out the video from Microsoft below.

Once you’ve considered and completed the above, simply open Windows Easy Transfer on both computers.  Here’s how:

1. Click the Picture of the Start button Start button
  2. In the search box, type Easy Transfer and in the list of results, click Windows Easy Transfer.
    1. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows Easy Transfer starts, simply follow the on-screen instructions and answer a few questions.  That’s all there is to it!

The process will take some time depending on how much you have to transfer.  And remember, you don’t have to copy everything.  If you’re only interested in migrating your home videos and a handful of documents, Windows Easy Transfer lets you to drill down to specific files, allowing you to capture only the items you need.  Also remember that you’re not deleting anything from your old computer – you’re simply making copies and transferring them to your new VAIO.

For more details, check out this helpful video on Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft below.

Be sure to leave any questions you may have below and I’ll be sure to hunt down the answers for you.  If this process still seems a bit intimidating, remember your local Backstage Technician can take care of the whole process for you.  Visit Sony.com/Backstage for more information.

1. Anonymous wrote: January 22, 2011 5:16am

sir i have problem about Bluetooth it shows but not working

2. Anonymous wrote: January 31, 2011 10:07pm

Is there any way to get old programs from one computer to the next?

3. Anonymous wrote: February 15, 2011 4:08am

hello
    just got my sony vaio comp
    i wanted to know if there’s a progrem to use if both OS are win 7 ?
    thx

4. Anonymous wrote: February 16, 2011 7:09am

can I transfer data from a Mac?

5. Anonymous wrote: February 17, 2011 7:28am

I have a feeling that the Sony will be the best computer I will ever enjoy! Just purchased it and am looking forward to getting to know it. Sort of like a best friend.

6. Anonymous wrote: March 1, 2011 11:34pm

Please help!
    Is there any way to transfer files from an old PC with a cracked screen?? “which nothing is visible” The PC does turn on….but no view!
    please advise if any solutions.

7. Anonymous wrote: March 9, 2011 2:22pm

Using easy transfer, I get an “Unable to Continue. Reboot and try again” message. I’ve rebooted several times, turned off anti-virus, used Vaio Transfer, used a Easy Transfer cable and a LAN connection. Nothing gets me past this error message. any thoughts?

8. Anonymous wrote: March 10, 2011 3:11am

I have a question please. I would like to know if it is possible to steal or corrupt or crash 32MB of a SONY-VAIO VPC style VPCF126FM style computer bought last year in September of 2010 because the MBites are gone from my computer and I cant download certain products? Please ADVISE. Thank you. My name is David.

9. Anonymous wrote: March 11, 2011 3:17am

i love sony

10. Patricia Gonzalez wrote: April 28, 2011 6:18pm

Love my VAIO

11. Anonymous wrote: May 4, 2011 5:26am

Between easy transfer cable and an external harddrive, which is likely to be faster?

1. Anonymous wrote: July 21, 2011 1:08pm

Undoubtedly the Easy Transfer Cable would be quicker, because it’s a single transfer from one hard drive to another. It’s also cheaper, IF you do not already have an external hard drive suitable for this purpose.

If you already have an external hard drive, make sure it’s compatible with both computers before you begin.

12. Laquita Cameron wrote: May 15, 2011 1:29pm

can someone help me transfer my outlook settings to another computer or send me some info? thanks

13. Anonymous wrote: July 21, 2011 1:00pm

Team–

Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t work if your hard drive on the OLD computer is encrypted and the new one is not. It also doesn’t work when your two computers are not connected to the same domain. Just something to keep in mind…

–Bill

14. Anonymous wrote: July 21, 2011 6:40pm

Hi, My new computer is Sony Vaio VPCF13 series 64 bit. My old unit is a Compac Presario using windows XP 32 bit. The problem I have in transferring my files over to my new computer is the old unit crashes, blue screen of death – stop command!! at least 5 times a day. Only when there is no keyboard activity for 10 min~. does the same when I do disk maint or performance repair. I have tired at least 4 or so virus programs and am running norton for my main security protection,and none have found a virus. Maybe hardware problem? However if there is a virus embeded in a file, could it transfer to my new machine or would my new computer system [norton virus protection] detect it???? Thanks for you opinion….Dan

15. Anonymous wrote: September 3, 2011 11:53am

I need to restore the norton trial thaat i had on this brand new computer when i bought it at costco. how do (I) go about doing this ?? thank you rockdrummeerr@hotmail.com (Mark Hudson Clayton)

16. Anonymous wrote: September 3, 2011 6:06pm

I have an old Dell Inspiron that does NOT have enough memory to install anything else…and my Documents and My Pictures are locked in the old PC. I wish to transfer to a Flash Drive, OR to my new Sony VAIO using Easy Transfer. However, don’t I have to install it on the old PC? If so, it won’t allow because of lack of memory. How do I proceed?
    Bonnie

17. Anonymous wrote: September 4, 2011 5:23pm

this very helpful…thx!

18. Anonymous wrote: September 5, 2011 2:53am

Must I always be in “Full Screen” mode?

19. Anonymous wrote: September 5, 2011 4:30pm

Is there anyway I can get a paper copy of the manual for my computer?

20. Anonymous wrote: September 6, 2011 1:36pm

I read about the easy transfer and realized that it doesn’t transfer programs — i bought “move me” which was not cheap ($60), but while it took FOREVER to work, it did transfer everything very well, although some programs like office don’t allow themselves to be transferred, move me did get all my backup email contacts etc, so when i reinstalled office, everything was identical to the old machine.

21. Anonymous wrote: September 7, 2011 7:02am

My old computer crashed; the video on motherboard is out, and will not allow anything to run. I can pull out the old drive. Is there an easy to tranfer, by this method, all my settings?

22. Anonymous wrote: September 8, 2011 7:02am

My old laptop monitor glass became cracked and I no longer have a screen. I bought a Vaio last week; however need to transfer photos. Does anyone know how I can do that without a screen on my old lap?

23. Anonymous wrote: September 8, 2011 1:27pm

Thank for the information, but this is the only system in my house is my lattop. if i need to learn that i will contact you soon!

24. Anonymous wrote: September 8, 2011 2:11pm

I purchased a Belkin Essy Tranfer Cable for Windows 7 yesterday and followed the instructions using the Easy Transfer Cable method. For over an hour this did not work and I finally gave up. My old computer is about 8 years old and runs XP, I can not figure out why this will not work. Any help would be appreciated.

25. Anonymous wrote: September 9, 2011 9:30am

I am migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. I know I can move my emails to Outlook Mail. Question is how do I migrate my email folder structure and sub-structure in the process.?

26. Anonymous wrote: September 11, 2011 12:35am

need your help on download music from cd to library in my computer……..

27. Anonymous wrote: September 11, 2011 3:35pm

I have a 6-year-old HP desktop running Windows XP. I want to transfer ONLY I-tunes from it to this new Vaio desktop running Windows 7. I want Itunes to transfer exactly the same, with all settings and playlists intact. i.e., I don’t want to have to re-do all the playlists manually. Any Ideas?

28. Anonymous wrote: September 18, 2011 5:21pm

My old computer died; however, I did regular backups to an external hard drive. How do I transfer files to my new computer from a backup on the external drive? My old computer was a Sony Vaio desktop running Windows XP. My new computer is a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7. Thank you.

29. Anonymous wrote: October 2, 2011 3:34pm

The new computer required a Windows Transfer key, which I could not find

30. Anonymous wrote: October 10, 2011 7:44am

How-To: Transfering files from “Play Station 3″ to “Sony Vaio?” Any Ideas?
    250G PS3 hard drive. Using a thumb drive currently. Any easier ways to transfer, w/out taking all day? Does Sony make any [PS3]>–(???)–>[SonyVaio] products?

p.s. “Connect with Facebook” is currently not working.ie “Try again later.”

p.p.s. “Login to Sony Style” is currently not working niether.ie “Invalid username/password.”

Anywho, hopefully “Comment as a Guest” is working…

31. Anonymous wrote: October 12, 2011 1:21pm

Hello,
    Will it transfer the Word program? I’m having a horrible time with this Word Starter 2010 (eg. the Control+Alt+F won’t insert footnotes).

32. Anonymous wrote: October 13, 2011 7:23am

Ihave transfered most of my data via external memery

33. Anonymous wrote: October 20, 2011 3:47pm

so i am getting a free labtop 4 school?

34. Anonymous wrote: November 3, 2011 6:54pm

lol you don’t transfer files with “external memory” … it’s external hard drive which is disk storage not RAM

35. Anonymous wrote: November 18, 2011 2:19pm

Is it possible to do this if you cannot get into your old computer? Mine will not even turn on.

36. Anonymous wrote: November 19, 2011 11:34am

My old PC: Dell Inspiron 1521 (bought 2007) fell off the bed – HARD DROP, LONG FALL – and I think I broke the vid card – screen output is watercolory. How do I get anything off this computer now? Can I install Easy Transfer on my new VAIO VPCEH instead? The old PC’s vid is broken for sure.

37. Anonymous wrote: November 20, 2011 8:45pm

i have 2 vaio notebook
    vgnf240e
    vpcf13ufx

38. Anonymous wrote: December 1, 2011 8:47am

Hi there – I’ve tranferred some of my emails already, if I do a file transfer for my entire outlook.pst file, will the system automatically detect and delete duplicates?

Thanks,
    Dawn

39. Anonymous wrote: December 4, 2011 6:27am

I had bought a computer Sony VIO. I just use 3 months only, my speaker was broken. I don’t know how to do???

40. Anonymous wrote: December 11, 2011 10:34pm

How do you operate the built in web cam

41. Anonymous wrote: December 15, 2011 11:21am

How does this work the best for me?

42. Anonymous wrote: December 22, 2011 9:17pm

WHERE DO I FIND MODEL NUMBER?

IS THERE A TUTORIAL ONLINE FOR THE 24″ ALL IN ONE FAIO?

OPPIE

43. Anonymous wrote: December 31, 2011 10:02am

never got power pack supply with this unit at christmas
    please send one a.s.a.p.
    peter glass
    360 astin street
    sudbury, ontario
    p3e2k3

44. Anonymous wrote: February 5, 2012 4:40pm

Hi there
    How can i transfer my files on my old computer with 64 bits to my new 32 bits computer?

45. Anonymous wrote: February 15, 2012 3:24am

hi.How can i make partition for my computer? i don’t know whether it is possible to have a partition for windows 7 . 64 biti? if not, how can i save my documents in case the windows damaged?
    thanks in advance

46. Anonymous wrote: February 16, 2012 5:12pm

How do I transfer my files from my old computer to my new computer.

47. Anonymous wrote: February 17, 2012 11:05am

Hi . i don’t know if it is possible to have a partition on my pc ? it’s windows 7 , 64 .

48. Anonymous wrote: February 25, 2012 4:26pm

Is it possible to transfer files from a computer with a fried hard drive to my new Sony?

1. Anonymous wrote: March 22, 2012 9:54pm

Yes it is the same process just follow the steps as stated. I had a success with mine. Good luck!

49. Anonymous wrote: April 12, 2012 3:42pm

i have rosetta stone program in my old computer, i lost the cd’s for install it in the new one, is there any way to get that program without the cd’s?

50. Anonymous wrote: April 29, 2012 5:10pm

after 17 hours it froze at the last “1 minute” using Easy Transfer. I had no choice but to close the problem and noticed that although all my music files transferred (4500 ITunes) it’s missing the library file. What do I do? Do the transfer again and overwrite? 17 hours is a LONG time!