Backstage Quick Tip #12: Transfer Files and Settings

by Team Sony 07/07/2010

Editors Note: Backstage Technicians are here to help and in this ongoing series, they’ll offer me their favorite tips and provide answers to some of the most common service related questions they hear at both the call center and in Sony Style Stores.

Have you just purchased a new VAIO® PC?  Have an old PC that still has a lot of meticulously crafted personal settings, internet bookmarks, photos, music, etc. that you’d like to have on your new primary VAIO PC?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you may like to know there’s any easy way to capture all your favorite files and settings on your old PC running Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or even XP and transfer them to your primary or new VAIO running Windows 7.  This quick tip will review just how you do it and walk you through the simple process, step-by-step.

Before you get started, here’s a couple things to keep in mind.

• What can you transfer?
    • User accounts and settings
    • Documents
    • Music
    • Photos
    • E-mail messages
    • Internet Favorites / Bookmarks
    • Videos

*Note:  You can transfer just about anything except other applications.

• Make sure your logged into both computers as an administrator.
  • Install Windows Easy Transfer on your old PC
    • You can download it here.
  • Decide how you want to transfer your information.  You can do it one of three ways:
    • External hard drive
    • Easy transfer cable
    • Network

*For more information, check out the video from Microsoft below.

Once you’ve considered and completed the above, simply open Windows Easy Transfer on both computers.  Here’s how:

1. Click the Picture of the Start button Start button
  2. In the search box, type Easy Transfer and in the list of results, click Windows Easy Transfer.
    1. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows Easy Transfer starts, simply follow the on-screen instructions and answer a few questions.  That’s all there is to it!

The process will take some time depending on how much you have to transfer.  And remember, you don’t have to copy everything.  If you’re only interested in migrating your home videos and a handful of documents, Windows Easy Transfer lets you to drill down to specific files, allowing you to capture only the items you need.  Also remember that you’re not deleting anything from your old computer – you’re simply making copies and transferring them to your new VAIO.

For more details, check out this helpful video on Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft below.

Be sure to leave any questions you may have below and I’ll be sure to hunt down the answers for you.  If this process still seems a bit intimidating, remember your local Backstage Technician can take care of the whole process for you.  Visit Sony.com/Backstage for more information.

1. Anonymous wrote: May 18, 2012 1:31am

I have MS Office 2007, is it compatable with Office 2010 that is built into my new Vaio? I have a lot of excel documents on my,not so old piece of junk HP laptop, including vacation planning, mortgage info and even lottery numbers from the past year (tho that “program” hasn’t won me anything yet).

1. Kathleen wrote: May 21, 2012 11:25am

Hi there! Please reach out to SonyListens@am.sony.com, they will be able to assist you with your question. Thank you!

2. Anonymous wrote: May 23, 2012 4:36am

I tried to use easy transfer to transfer files from my older sony laptop with windows xp to my new vpcsc sony with windows 7. It inported a bunch of files that are not usable on windows 7 and was very slow. What Should I do now? How do I get rid of the xp files that I don’t need on windows 7

3. Anonymous wrote: June 6, 2012 1:03am

Easy Transfer does not work , we spent hours trying to transfer files , email , etc. from one old Sony Laptop (Vista) , to a new Sony Laptop …to no avail . We resorted to a removable back-up drive , and it threw a mess of mixed files into one folder ….absolutely useless !

We followed all your instructions , and , it resulted into a frustrating mess . We would never , ever , buy a Sony product
    again , Tv , camera , or anything else. Cliff / Carol.

1. Sarah wrote: June 6, 2012 12:18pm

Hello Cliff & Carol,
      Good morning. I am very sorry to hear about the poor experience you encountered with your computers. Have you spoken with the VAIO product support team about this? We certainly want you up and running with ease. We would be happy to help you! You can either email us at sonylistens@am.sony.com or contact us at 888-4SONY-PC (888-476-6972). Either way, we’re here to help!

~ Sarah Kepler

4. Anonymous wrote: June 11, 2012 2:39pm

HELLO I NEED MORE INFORMATION

1. Sarah wrote: June 15, 2012 3:06pm

Hello @dr18281,
      Good afternoon! What information are you looking for?

~ Sarah Kepler

5. Anonymous wrote: June 11, 2012 7:29pm

Easy transfer worked as charm to me. Thanks, Vaio…

6. Anonymous wrote: June 15, 2012 9:11pm

Did it on Network – your tech helped me sort things out after.

7. Anonymous wrote: June 22, 2012 5:21pm

I am new user of sony vio, would like to know or solve problem that my internet speedd is slow comparatively another computer that i m same time using, and check both the speeds and this not work well, specially when i use youtube it stops downloading after somee time and it is always happen please guide me in this regard

8. Anonymous wrote: June 28, 2012 4:05pm

hello .

9. Anonymous wrote: June 30, 2012 11:01am

If part of my old files are already transferred to my new sony, can this windows easy transfer system find duplications and not transfer anything already there from the old to the new sony?
    thanks!
    denese

10. Anonymous wrote: July 12, 2012 8:14pm

just got a new sony vaio and i dont know how to use the motion for the sidescreens. can you please help me out?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 16, 2012 1:18pm

Definitely. I’ve sent your question along to our customer service team. They should be reaching out shortly.

11. Anonymous wrote: July 26, 2012 2:02pm

Will this work with the Windows 8 upgrade?

1. Kathleen wrote: July 31, 2012 2:28pm

Not sure, but I’ll find out! Stay tuned.

12. Anonymous wrote: August 6, 2012 8:12pm

How do I reset my old SONY laptop to factory settings so I can give it to someone else?

1. Kathleen wrote: August 7, 2012 2:26am

Not sure, but I’ve sent your question along to our customer service team and they should be contacting you shortly. Thanks for reading!

13. Anonymous wrote: August 14, 2012 4:19pm

I could not open the complete user manual even after
    i follow the instruction on VA10 care. I do not have any
    user guide at all, please help..

1. Kathleen wrote: August 14, 2012 7:35pm

Yikes! I’ll send your email addy along to the support team. They’ll reach out to you shortly.

14. Anonymous wrote: August 14, 2012 4:47pm

thx for the timely info. i was just getting ready to call sony for help.

1. Kathleen wrote: August 14, 2012 7:35pm

Glad this helped! Thanks for reading.

15. Anonymous wrote: September 25, 2012 12:17am

I appreciate your help.

16. Anonymous wrote: November 4, 2012 3:39pm

quiero comprar windows 8 me borrara todos mis programas si lo instalo y cual windows 8 es mejor

17. Anonymous wrote: November 10, 2012 4:14pm

I could’t find easy transfer for windows 7 to windows 7. Don’t you think that one person could have two win7 laptop?

18. Anonymous wrote: November 23, 2012 4:42pm

Hello,
    once transferred all my files, pictures, internet favorites, how should I delete all the information in my old laptop to give it away without worrying about sensitive data?
    Thanks
    Julieta

1. Kathleen wrote: November 24, 2012 2:14am

Hi there Julieta, please reach out to your local support team for help http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ Thanks for reaching out!

19. Anonymous wrote: November 27, 2012 10:54am

I bought Laplink’s PCmover Ultimate to transfer files. Do you know whether it works as well or better than Windows Easy Transfer — which is the faster transfer and which will transfer the most. I’m moving files from a great, but large and getting worn out HP Pavillion running Vista to my beautiful new VAIO Z13 SVZ13114GZZ.

Thanks

1. Kathleen wrote: November 27, 2012 3:33pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. We’ve passed it along to our support team. They should be contacting you shortly.

20. Anonymous wrote: November 28, 2012 8:32am

how can i transfer also my software from one computer to other, for example Kodak form my camera?

1. Kathleen wrote: November 29, 2012 5:02pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ve sent your info to the support team, they should be reaching out shortly.

21. Anonymous wrote: December 6, 2012 10:31am

It says you can transfer from a PC, but are you still able to transfer from an old Mac to my new Vaio?

1. Kathleen wrote: December 6, 2012 5:24pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ve passed your info to our support team. They should be reaching out shortly.

22. April wrote: March 10, 2013 9:50am

Does the Sony Easy Transfer work between XL and windows 8?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 11, 2013 1:11pm

Hello April, are you referring to Window XP? Sony Easy Transfer is a program designed to move contacts and info off old Android or iPhones onto Sony Xperia phones, not PCs. Are you referring to Windows Easy Transfer? This does work between Windows 8 and XP, provided the XP system has XP Service Pack 3 installed.
      Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

23. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:22pm

Hi there, thanks for your question. I’ll send it along to our support team. They should be reaching out shortly to help you.