Summer VAIO Signature Collection Debuted

by Gina 06/23/2010

The new Summer 2010 VAIO® Signature Collection made its debut this morning.

Ten models complete this season’s line and like the previous Spring Collection, it includes both laptops and a desktop.

New to the Signature family is the EA Signature models impressively out the gate with a unique Arabesque design. Starting at $919.00, its raised fanciful patterns feel similar to the touch as a luxurious wall mosaic. My favorite is the black Arabesque design as it is a clever way to combine an antique-like pattern with a contemporary glossy black.

VAIO

A pink and gold Arabesque model is also offered. The Signature VAIO EA laptops are all customized models (and all come with the ATI graphics card option).

The Signature VAIO F laptop definitely lives up to the superior computing performance known to Signature Collection models and is a nice computer for photo enthusiast. This is the only VAIO F that includes the new VAIO TransferJet™ technology and also comes with premium specs such as a Full HD display, 1GB gfx, BDRW, 640GB, 8GB, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

The VAIO Z laptop makes two appearances in the collection this season and talk about gadget envy. The Carbon Fiber VAIO Z computer comes with an Intel ®Core™ I7-620M (2.66Hz) processor, Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64-bit, a 13.1” Full HD LED backlit display, a hybrid graphics card (1 GB VRAM), 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, a Blu-ray Disc™ player/burner, and Verizon Wireless with the new Share my Connection ™ technology that turns your PC into its own mobile hotspot for up to 5 PCs or other Wi-Fi enabled devices.

Following the spring season’s “Metal Mosaic” look, the new Metal Shield VAIO Z model takes it up a level. Its design features a hexagonal object with a triangular object inside, giving an illusion of a spinning motion. Inside, the model is loaded with some pretty high tech features which make this VAIO a great one for travelers. Integrated active noise cancelling technology and supplied headphones provide crystal-clear audio in noisy mobile scenarios without an adapter (yep, this comes with noise canceling headphones).A built-in biometric fingerprint scanner makes authentication and secure access quick, and this VAIO also comes with the option for the new Share my Connection ™ technology.

The X135 also makes an appearance on the Summer Signature Collection page. Offered in Glossy Premium Carbon Fiber ($1599.99) and Black ($1499.99), the VAIO X weighs 1.6 lbs (with standard battery) and also comes with an extended battery in the box to allow the owner up to 12 hours of battery life. Exclusive to this model, it also comes with a 128 GB solid state drive. Other specs include an Intel® Atom™ Processor Z550 (2.0 GHz), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 11.1” LED backlit display and 2 GB RAM.

In Signature tradition, a new P series is introduced and is the highest configuration of the VAIO P series to date and weighs 1.3 lbs (with standard battery).  The P118 specs include an Intel® Processor (2.00GHz), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 8″ LCD, 2GB RAM, 256GB solid state drive, Verizon Mobile Broadband Built-in, GPS, Bluetooth® technology and a webcam.

And to round out the season, a new VAIO J all-in-one touchscreen PC is offered. The J118 is $1549.99 and comes in a contemporary white color.

What you think the general design aesthetic of this line is? I take away a dashing, urban feel. Maybe I got that impression from the witty subtle background in the Signature showcase. Do you see it?

….More photos for everyone :-) A shout out to our 6/24 Guest commenter for asking!

1. Anonymous wrote: June 23, 2010 4:39pm

I have to say I’m pretty disappointed. A “Black” F is not a Signature Collection Laptop, all they did was take the existing ugly look and put a technology no one cares about (TransferJet) in it. At least put the effort in. They did the same thing for the P and X too.

1. Gina wrote: June 23, 2010 4:59pm

Hi Guest, thanks for posting. It sounds like you’d like to see a more drastic design difference in Signature models? The P in terms of specs is quite a bit different as it has a faster processor and higher SSD than nonSignature models. The X spec difference is the higher SSD but the main design difference is the glossy carbon fiber casing previously only offered with the VAIO Z. I know our our Signature team is always open to feedback so if there are specific things you’d like to see in future seasons, let me know. They definitely listen. One great example is the Full HD feature from last season’s Signature Z. Users wanted the ability to add that option during customization of any Z and recently the team added that based on user’s requests. We definitely listen :-) Thanks again for posting and let me know.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 23, 2010 8:00pm

My last two Laptops have been Sony. You understood me correctly, I want the quality of the design and the casing to match what’s on the inside. The Signature F this time around is Black. F has been available in black since its release, so they really didn’t do anything except boost the specs and price point.

I feel the real problem is that the other models do not get the same high quality attention & options anymore that the Z series receives. What I would want to see is a larger version of the Z series (same specs and quality casing/design) that could compete head-to-head with a 17-inch Macbook Pro. There hasn’t been a model like that since the AR, which I bought the moment it came out with the highest specs (well worth the $3300 I paid btw — still better than most laptops 4 years later).

Don’t take what I’m saying as too harsh though, when I make purchasing decisions its always between Apple and Sony. :-) That’s why my expectations are so high.

P.S. Bring back the Nebula (from FW) for all Models. It was really that good.

1. Gina wrote: June 23, 2010 10:35pm

Hey Guest, Ah yes. The Nebula was epic. That’s on my request list as well. Also I have to say thank you as I do appreciate you considering us when you buy stuff. On the F series, no harshness taken- I really value honest feedback and with details like this, it provides more context when I send this to the product teams. I have to say. Our VAIO team truly reads feedback from users like you and have done a lot to respond to those requests so when you share feedback like this, I say have faith :-) I hope that we’ll have a computer for ya sometime that is tailored so much to your liking, it won’t even be choice :-)
          Thanks again for posting and thanks for the dialogue. Nice to see you on the blog.

2. Erica Mueller wrote: June 23, 2010 9:04pm

The black Arabesque design is BEAUTIFUL! I would just worry about the texture being hard to keep clean… always messy little fingers in my house. :-) But, it’s gorgeous and feminine. Women are going to love it!

You can just send one of the new White J’s to my house, ok? I got new black office furniture this week and that white machine would really pop against the black. :-)

I have to say, way to go Sony. You guy have some of the best looking machines on the market!

1. Gina wrote: June 23, 2010 10:49pm

Hi Erica, I’m glad you like our collection – we appreciate the kind words. My favorite this season is the black Arabesque design for sure! I wanted to be completely honest with you so I pulled out the unit and took a very close look. As adorable as little hands are :) I think if its sticky or requires some tough scrubbing, it would be a harder scenario to clean vs. a completely flat casing but probably the similar ease as a flat surface for stuff that normally easily wipes off. If you live near a Sony Style store, I’d check it out so you can see how’d it hold up in your house :-)! Thanks again for posting. Appreciate it.

3. Anonymous wrote: June 24, 2010 12:22am

When is a new performance desktop coming out like the RT series? I love the L series but i need a little bit better performance. It’s disappointing that the RT series was discontinued.

1. Gina wrote: June 24, 2010 12:25am

Hi Guest, Thanks for posting. Right now our current desktops are the L and J series but in terms of performance is there anything specific you’d like to see?Thanks for sharing your feedback :-)

1. Anonymous wrote: June 24, 2010 3:08am

Yes, a Intel i7-940 processor on the L series.

1. Gina wrote: June 25, 2010 12:02am

HI Guest, thanks for providing more detail, that’s helpful. I’ve passed that to our VAIO team :-) Appreciate the feedback!

4. Anonymous wrote: June 24, 2010 10:12pm

Is there any more pics of these laptops? I´ve just seen pictures of the Arabesque 14´with the lid closed (which I loved btw!) and I would like to see how it looks inside.

1. Gina wrote: June 25, 2010 12:22am

Hi Guest – glad you like! I added some photos of the VAIO open along with some close ups of the keyboard area just for you (and gave you a shout out in the blog for asking) :-) Take a look in the post now and let me know if this is what you were looking for. Thanks again.

1. Anonymous wrote: June 25, 2010 1:47pm

Yes, it was exactly this. Thanks a lot!!

1. Gina wrote: June 25, 2010 4:06pm

you’re welcome!

5. Anonymous wrote: June 30, 2010 3:26pm

Just wrote about these for PC-Site.com. Loving the look of Arabesque design!

Rosie

1. Gina wrote: June 30, 2010 4:09pm

Hi Rosie! Thanks and thanks for awarding the VAIO X one of your Top 5 ultraportable PCs! Great to meet you and thanks for posting.

6. Anonymous wrote: July 1, 2010 12:22am

Those are really nice and glorious!

1. Gina wrote: July 1, 2010 8:16am

glad you like :-) thanks for posting!

7. Anonymous wrote: July 25, 2010 2:34pm

Is there an ETA for any of these in Sony Style stores? I’d like to see the Arabesque design in person, but every store I’ve been to doesn’t seem to know what I’m talking about.

1. Gina wrote: July 27, 2010 1:50pm

Hey Guest-great question. The Arabesque models are online only right now but if that changes, I’ll reach out for sure!

8. Anonymous wrote: August 16, 2010 7:00am

The signature collection is great, but will it be availible in Europe?

1. Gina wrote: September 1, 2010 9:36am

Hi Guest,
      Though there isn’t a “Signature Collection” outside of the US, I know that some regions are assorting some of the Signature designs. I think it varied by region. But if there are any models you’re a particular fan of, I can definitely pass along the feedback/request :-) Thanks for posting & hope this info is helpful!

9. Anonymous wrote: September 14, 2010 12:58pm

why is it that no laptops (that i have yet to attempt) appear to be available for purchase on sonystyle.com right now? is it the time of year? or just the models i have picked? (i tried the golden signature collection vaio most recently)

1. Anonymous wrote: September 16, 2010 11:13am

I’ve had the same problem trying to purchase a laptop. I not only had a problem with the Signature Series(which I really want!!) but every computer I pick says its not available! Whats the deal???

1. Gina wrote: September 16, 2010 4:18pm

now that’s no fun! which model were you looking for?

2. Gina wrote: September 16, 2010 4:17pm

hmmm, that’s strange – thanks for reaching out. I tried it just now and it worked okay – are you customizing a computer?

Definitely want to see if I can help- can you email me at sonystyleblog@am.sony.com

10. Anonymous wrote: September 21, 2010 7:44pm

why are the EA Sig series un avail will they be produced again or not, anything planned in place of that,
    i would like to order a few

11. Anonymous wrote: September 24, 2010 4:38am

Will Sony produce more of these models from signature summer collection which are out of stock or sold our at this time.

1. Gina wrote: September 27, 2010 8:08am

Hey Guest – these models might be sold out but we plan to release our latest Signature Collection next month :-)

12. Anonymous wrote: October 5, 2010 6:38pm

I really love the arabesque black but it’s unavailable online! Will more be available to order? Also will they be available in Canada? Please help!

1. Gina wrote: November 8, 2010 3:43pm

Hey Guest, they are back at SonyStyle.com – you can check em out here:
      store.sony.com/signature

13. Anonymous wrote: October 31, 2010 1:20pm

i love arabesque pink one,but its not available,when it is going to be available

1. Gina wrote: November 8, 2010 3:44pm

Hey Guest,

Darn. I think we’re all sold out of the pink but we did bring back the black and gold versions :-) Those are fun. You can check them out here:
      store.sony.com/signature
      Hope this info is helpful and thanks again for posting!

14. Anonymous wrote: March 27, 2011 2:35pm

Do you have sneak previews of the summer 2011 collection cause I am thinking about buying a laptop from the spring 2011 series but by the time have i have the money it will be in the summer and mabye by then i will buy it.

15. Anonymous wrote: May 26, 2011 11:20am

when will be summer 2011 signaure collection will be available

16. Anonymous wrote: April 11, 2012 5:28am

hi there, i have been looking for the arabesque Vaio design laptops for so longgg, i really want one im from australia please tell me you can still get them?

17. Anonymous wrote: May 25, 2012 10:05pm

i want computer “pink arabesque”. how many dolars?. in argentine have stock in this colours, and this models?.
    thanks you. please talk to my harry up!!!!!