Backstage Quick Tip #42: Windows Shortcuts

by Team Sony 05/19/2010

Editors Note:  Backstage is here to help and in this ongoing series, they’ll offer me their favorite tips and provide answers to some of the most common service related questions they hear at both the call center and in Sony Style Stores.

Take a moment and glance down at your task bar.  How many application windows do you have open?  Looking at mine, there’s multiple open windows for Outlook, Chrome, Word, Photoshop – in fact, there’s more open than I care to count.  And I have to admit, with so many open all at once, I tend to lose track of where things are and I often find myself clicking through each window just to find a stat, quote or photo or even just get to my desktop.

Sound familiar?

Then it struck me.  I use shortcuts everyday to quickly copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) items but are there other navigation shortcuts that are just as quick and easy to use? Luckily, I discovered there are.

Here are just a few that use the Windows key that the Backstage Team passed on to me.  They’re easy and I’ve been using most of them since writing this post.  Some you may know and some you may not and if you do know of others, please be sure to share them by commenting below.

The following Windows Logo Key shortcuts were added with Windows 7:

1. Anonymous wrote: May 28, 2010 9:29pm

2010-May-28 Cairo, Egypt

Hello
    I am a new user of Sony VAIO VPCCW21FX
    I get several e.Messages about the product, Sony Style, Customer Care, all of which are appreciated.
    My q. is: Is there a ONE LIST that contains ALL INFO related to this product(Tel.No., Web sites, Tutorials, Publications, Blogs, etc.), because sometimes I miss some of your e.messages.

THANK YOU for a GREAT PRODUCT.

Essam Karim
    ____________________________________________________

1. Michael wrote: June 2, 2010 8:06pm

Essam – i think the best solution for you would be to bookmark the Sony support site at http://esupport.sony.com. Here you’ll find all the support information you need including driver updates, service information and customer service contact information.

And to ensure you don’t miss any of the stories on our blog, simply add our RSS feed to your news reader – you’ll get real-time notifications when we post a new story. Thanks for reading!

2. Samuel Alvarado wrote: May 28, 2010 11:32pm

thats great ,is more faster like that

1. Michael wrote: June 2, 2010 7:46pm

Samuel – thanks for the feedback! I’m glad you found these shortcuts helpful. Stay tuned for more tips as we have a lot more in the pipeline.

Thanks for reading!

3. Anonymous wrote: May 29, 2010 12:26am

I think Sony products excellent, good quality, good performance and design on the market and are produced with greater efficiency, even I am thinking of buying another laptop for me, the only thing I wish it lasted longer and the battery instead of two hours could be more or less some four or five hours, and the reason that we are not always in places where it has taken to laying cable is difficult and I’d like you to accept this new idea, thanks

4. William G Benedict wrote: May 29, 2010 5:16am

I got my new Vaio in April. I love it! I can’t believe how nicely it runs when compared to my old computer..

1. Michael wrote: June 2, 2010 7:57pm

William – Thanks so much for your business! I love seeing people fall in love with their new VAIOs. What model did you purchase? If you need help transferring files from your old PC to your new VAIO, check out this helpful video from Microsoft.

5. Anonymous wrote: May 29, 2010 7:00pm

One way to get longer battery life is to buy a Sony Notebook
    with out the motorized hard drive. Or wait until current battery
    technology is improved which should be in a year or two from what I’ve read. you can add an external hard drive easily for
    CDs & DVDs

6. Anonymous wrote: May 30, 2010 12:07am

The Vaio lead in to these clues was appreciated.

1. Michael wrote: June 2, 2010 7:51pm

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll have more tips coming soon. In the meantime, is there a tip or shortcut you’d like us to look into? We’d love to hear your suggestions for everyday questions and/or advice you’d like answers to.

7. Anonymous wrote: June 10, 2010 9:36pm

8. Anonymous wrote: June 13, 2010 7:55pm

thanks alot that was very usefull to me, I love sony.

9. Anonymous wrote: August 7, 2010 2:49am

My sony is working very slow.I copied from dvd tp lap-top 616mb it took 25 minutes

10. Anonymous wrote: August 7, 2010 4:31am

i want to know weather 3D blue ray DVD will play vcd and cd plat

11. Anonymous wrote: August 8, 2010 4:42am

very nice and very useful………….
    thanks Sony.
    that’s Sony….

12. Anonymous wrote: August 11, 2010 7:52pm

Very very informatic

13. Anonymous wrote: August 18, 2010 6:16am

MY LAPTOP HAS NEED BACKSTAGE PROGRAM

14. Kenneth Taylor wrote: August 21, 2010 7:00am

i am thankful for the service

15. Anonymous wrote: January 16, 2011 5:16pm

Wow, thanks so much for these helpful tips. It really makes using the computer so much easier and faster than before.

16. Anonymous wrote: January 26, 2011 4:12pm

Cool shortcuts, very useful. Thanks a bunch!!! I found a few move shortcuts here: http://www.usingcomputers.co.uk/tutorials/useful-windows-shortcuts.php its worth taking a look at combined with this article. Thanks, keep up the good posts!

Patrick