How to change the batteries in your 2010 BRAVIA TV remote control

by Team Sony 03/29/2010

It’s the simple things that can drive a person crazy sometimes and usually the more simple the task the easier it is to over think it!

Last week the Sony Support team sent me an e-mail. It seems they’ve received a number of calls from confused consumers who can’t figure out how to change the batteries in their new BRAVIA television remote controls. The team wanted to help, so they created this basic how-to video for YouTube to show customers how to insert/remove batteries in the remote control for the 2010  models. When you see how simple it is, I hope it will make you smile. There’s nothing like demystifying the operation of a device.

You can find other useful tips and instructions on the Sony Support website.

1. guest_user wrote: April 5, 2010 3:30am

Very Nice video by your sony support team. This video is very helpful for the people who are using sony bravia..

2. Anonymous wrote: November 6, 2010 10:35am

omg ty for this. the whole family has been fiddling with this for 20 min… and some of us are engineers lol.

3. Anonymous wrote: May 2, 2011 2:56pm

Can you buy a replacement remote for the rm-ed053?

4. Anonymous wrote: September 29, 2011 10:39pm

Many thanks, this flummoxed me last night…. I was contemplating screwdrivers and hammers at one point. ;o)

1. Sukhjit wrote: October 5, 2011 12:07pm

That’s great! Glad we were able to help!

5. Anonymous wrote: October 29, 2011 12:00am

I had to push much harder than it is shown here. I guess these things can in time get less flexible. But knowing that I was doing the right thing, made me continue the pressure until it worked, so thanks.

1. Sukhjit wrote: October 31, 2011 9:02am

Glad it was helpful and hope it’s all working well for you now! Happy Halloween!

6. Anonymous wrote: November 24, 2011 12:16pm

Brilliant. Easy when you know how but got me really frustrated and glad to know I am not the only one
    P.

1. Sukhjit wrote: November 25, 2011 10:09am

Happy to see this was helpful! Thanks for leaving a comment to let us know!

7. Anonymous wrote: January 9, 2012 4:19pm

very stupid

8. Anonymous wrote: March 10, 2012 2:32pm

This just saved me from snapping the bottom of the remote case off!!

Great idea, pity there isn’t a better way of indicating how to do this on the remote itself.

Many thanks!

1. Sukhjit wrote: March 14, 2012 1:58pm

Thanks for the feedback and glad you found this useful!

9. Anonymous wrote: October 28, 2012 5:27am

Saved me a lot of swearing and cursing

1. Kathleen wrote: November 1, 2012 12:26pm

Glad it helped! Thanks for reading.

10. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2012 6:17pm

Still can’t open the remote. Is there a place to send it in?

11. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2012 6:21pm

Still can’t open the remote even though it looks identical to the one in the video. What is the easiest way to get
    help with this product? Should I take it back to the store
    or send it in?

12. Anonymous wrote: November 2, 2012 6:29pm

Finally was able to pry it open. One of the batteries had
    corroded even though it was dated 2016.

1. Kathleen wrote: November 2, 2012 7:13pm

Glad it worked out. Let us know if you need any more assistance. Our support team can be reached at sonylistens@am.sony.com

13. Melvin wrote: January 6, 2013 12:32pm

The vidoe is helpful…but have been trying for days now to open this remote…i will keep this in mind when I purchase another tv…this sucks!!!

14. Dan wrote: February 18, 2013 6:57am

Thanks – It is so simple when you know how.

15. Jerry Wolbert wrote: March 24, 2013 8:55am

I have a Bravia KDL 40xBR3 TV bought in 2007. I just changed the batteries in the remote but can’t figure out how to get the cover back on. It slides into place but won’t snap in. I can get the latch into the middle but the cover is not flat and I think I will break the little phlanges if I force it down. If I slide it flat into place, it will not snap in where the latch is, despite putting downward pressure there. Is there a trick I should know about?

1. Sony Support USA wrote: March 25, 2013 8:27am

Hello Jerry,

I would recommend checking the owner’s manual for the remote control that your TV came with. If you don’t have that with you, you can visit our esupport site by following this link: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40-46XBR2.pdf. You will need to scroll down on the right hand side until you see “Remote Control”. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful day! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

1. jerry wrote: April 5, 2013 4:33pm

Hi, it really doesn’t say anything about putting it back on without breaking off the nubs (phlanges)

1. Kathleen wrote: April 8, 2013 9:57am

Yikes! Be careful! Don’t want anyone breaking their fingers :)

16. Bob wrote: April 18, 2013 1:51pm

Sony, this is a very badly designed remote controller. To have to post a video on how to open a battery compartment is woeful and what’s worse is that after following the video my remote still won’t open.
    Yours in frustration, Bob

1. Sony Support USA wrote: April 19, 2013 1:04pm

Hi Bob, Oh no! I apologize for this experience. What model TV and Remote do you have?
      Thanks, Scott Fuentes
      Sony Support USA

17. Ger Costello wrote: June 8, 2013 3:22am

Sony…I have never heard of a company needing to post a youtube video to open a battery compartment. I still can’t open the remote to change batteries. Who designed this? Do I have to purchase a new remote? No doubt this comment won’t be published!

18. tim wrote: August 1, 2013 1:50pm

I tried for 30 minutes to get the thing open simply to change the batteries. This has to be one of the most stupid pieces of design imaginable. If you’ve had to make a video to explain to customers how to do it, you just know you should fire the idiot who designed it. Pathetic.

1. Sony Support USA wrote: August 2, 2013 9:54am

Good day and thank you for the comment. We place a very high value on feedback from our customers because it allows us to continue to improve. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.