The Making of the VAIO X Series: Part 1 and 2

by Team Sony 10/30/2009

As many of you have probably already heard, Sony recently unveiled the World’s lightest notebook in the VAIO X Series.

In addition to the detailed information we passed along at the announcement in NYC, I wanted to share with you a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the X Series.

In this 7 part series, you’ll learn about the unique engineering challenges, surprising design inspirations and innovative technology used to transform the VAIO X series from concept to notebook directly from those who worked on the project.

The series kicks off with the following two installments:

Part 1:  Hayashi Kaoru, Chief Project Manager, offers an overview of the project and answers why the VAIO X Series was developed and what he hopes customers take away from it.

Part 2:  Lead Project Engineer Shibata Takashi provides insight into the engineering technology used to make the VAIO X series an incredible ½ an inch thin.

Want to discover more?  Uncover answers to questions not covered in these interviews?  Post your questions below and I’ll hunt down the answers for you.  In the meantime, check back next week for more in this series.

1. guest_user wrote: November 11, 2009 2:48pm

I wanted to buy a Vaio X series today and the SonyStyle hotline and the local Sony store were totally inept. No idea when the system will be available, no data on peripherals or cost, etc. I expected a much better customer experience from Sony than this. I’ll go to the Apple store this week instead.

2. guest_user wrote: November 15, 2009 11:50am

While following the quick start guide provided with my brand new Vaio laptop, I attempted to create recovery discs. However the computer totally froze at 15:30 and 84% of disc 1.

3. guest_user wrote: November 30, 2009 12:31am

i just purchased my first sony loptop VAIO series. i hate to say but i am very dissapointed with it. It has a very short battery life twice less than it is described in its specifications. The pointing device is the worse i have ever worked with. it is very unsensitive and the coarsed pad is annoingly hard to use.
    I would not recomend this product to any one. i have a four and a half year old toshiba sattelite which i rather use than this painfully user unfriendly Sony.

4. guest_user wrote: December 7, 2009 9:44pm

All of you people are loosers! first guy: You know there are some setting u can adjust for the pointer to be more sensitive I could give you directions as how to get ther but I bet you are a looser and would not know how to follow my directions anyway. Mary, some of the computer’s components required some updates to achive optimal performance, maybe you did not make the necessary updates I recommend you to make all available updates from sony as well as from microsoft and try ur burning process again to see how it goes. As for the thrid guy: U can go to the Apple store this week next week or any other week and u will get ripped off anyway, they will make you pay over $1,000 for a computer that its real cost is $400 (based on hardware cost). I have a sony vaio VGN series and it have the same capabilities of a Mac and I paid only $530 for it. I have no complains about my latop, I like it I will recommend it my friends!!!!

5. guest_user wrote: December 26, 2009 4:06am

I really love just about everything about my Sony Vaio laptop model PCG-7184L. I love the one touch web access without booting up, the ability to watch Blu-Ray Discs on my computer, the 4GB RAM, the instant “display off” button. It is a pretty great computer all around. There are a few features that I feel shorted by on this computer and that is the speakers.
    Sony literally screwed this Vaio laptop on speakers. I mean, could the sound be any lower? Are they defective? I’ve seen cheaper laptops with better speakers than this. It’s so goofy to actually tell someone sitting with you about something you’re listening to on the internet and you have this laptop and you go, “wait, let me turn it up” and it’s turned up to the max as well as the program and you still can barely hear the sound. Why did Sony do that? They started out in the theatre and music business, but yet they place a cheap speaker and a perfectly good laptop. What was that about.
    Also, the brightness seems a bit dull. You’re looking at your screen and you say to yourself, “I need to make this a bit brighter” and you can’t. Again Sony, you’re in the theatre and music business, why short your computers on the main components your business was based on in the first place?

6. guest_user wrote: January 1, 2010 5:55pm

Anyone know if the GPU is a replaceable part on the VIAO VGN-AR270 ?

7. PeterF52M wrote: January 19, 2010 1:38pm

Tresor – There is a software option that I believe will resolve your issue regarding the sound. 1) click on start, 2) click on control panel, 3) click on Sound, 4) click on the “Seaker/HP” and click on properties 5) click on the “Enhancements tab, 6) put a check on “loundness”. Regards, Peter Tat . Sony Software Engineer.

8. PeterF52M wrote: January 19, 2010 1:41pm

9. guest_user wrote: January 26, 2010 12:33pm

has anyone’s laptop just shut down for no reason and never came back on. my son in law bought it brand new a couple of years ago. Kept excellent care of it. what could of happend? any suggestions? he’s giving it to me. so if there’s any hope at all,I want to try to keep it

10. guest_user wrote: January 26, 2010 2:54pm

Does someone knows when the VAIO X GOLD will be available for purchasing? It is always out of stock! Please.. help me!

11. Michael wrote: January 29, 2010 6:52pm

Hi Luciana! Thanks for your comment. I have bad news though – the Gold X Series was a limited edition Signature Collection model and unfortunately, they quickly sold out. Check back often though as more colors may become available in the future. Thanks for reading! Michael, Blog Editor.

12. guest_user wrote: February 17, 2010 4:01pm

How can I get one of the clear models like the one in this video?
    Seriously. I am planning to buy one of these in the next few months and I would LOVE to get the clear model.