VAIO Quick Tip: Locating Your VAIO PC's Model Number

by Team Sony 10/30/2009

I’ve been reading a lot of chatter on the blog and forum lately about whether a customer’s specific model is either:

• Supported and upgradeable to Windows 7
  • Eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 if recently purchased

One part of discovering information on either of these topics is locating your specific model number.  From what I’ve put together, it seems as though some customers may be incorrectly referencing a number on the bottom of the notebook as their model number.  I believe this has been creating some confusion when the assumed model number gets entered into a site like sony.com/windows7 and comes back as non-supported.  To help in the matter, this Quick Tip will offer you the facts about where and how to determine your exact model number.

To begin, VAIO PC model numbers always begin with the prefix “VGN-”, “VGC-” or “VPC”.  The PCG number on the bottom of most notebooks is not your model number; rather, it’s a reference number to an internal hardware component.

An example of a specific VAIO model number is:  VGN-Z610Y/B or VPCCW1SGX/U (newer models only)

That being said, you can always find the exact model number of your PC, starting with the prefixes above, in the lower right hand corner of your LCD bezel.  Click the photo above to zoom in and see a model number’s exact location (yes, that’s my slightly dusty work PC).

I hope you find this helpful!

1. guest_user wrote: November 2, 2009 5:35pm

Thanks Great info.

2. guest_user wrote: November 4, 2009 10:14am

i would like to find out more thing about songe

3. Michael wrote: November 5, 2009 12:00am

Hi Michael (great name btw). I’d love to answer your question but I’m not sure I understand your comment. Could you provide me a little more information about what exactly you’d like like more information about? As always, thanks for reading! Michael (Blog Editor)

4. guest_user wrote: November 13, 2009 10:35am

Nice post,

This is great to know, i think im eligable for a free upgrade!

Thanks

5. guest_user wrote: November 14, 2009 5:05am

I recently purchased my Viao and it has a tag on it indicating a free upgrade to windows 7. Iis that a correct assumtion?

6. guest_user wrote: November 20, 2009 1:29am

I have a Sony Vio VGN-N320e note book and I am trying to get it to play on my Sony Brariria big screen tv. The tv has a pug in for the note book and I have pushed f3 to get the screen out put to go to the monitor. The tv says wrong out put form the computer. Can any body tell me what I am doing wrong, or not doing. I didn’t have the power supply hooked up to the computer.
    Don

7. guest_user wrote: November 21, 2009 9:52pm

trying to find motion eye camere utility for vaio VGN BX41vn for win7 one on sony download site wont install

8. guest_user wrote: November 26, 2009 8:59pm

comprei o meu primeiro vaio com windows 7 startet
    fiquei muito magoado ao verificar que somente o win 7 ultimate é em portugues.
    Porque será que eu desconhecia este detalhe horrendo do windows para com o consumidor?
    Certamente eu sendo brasileiro terei que piratear o win 7?
    Ficaria mais justo e simpatico me mandar a forma de eu poder instalar o Portugues do Brasil.

9. guest_user wrote: December 18, 2009 11:15am

I can’t find any other model number, other than the PCG. I have looked for it for a while now, and I’m getting rather upset. There’s no picture for me to look at in this post. I have the sticker that says I’m eligable for the upgrade, and all I want is some help finding my model number.

10. guest_user wrote: December 30, 2009 9:38pm

I bought this model, for its new design and concepts specially the full HD 1080p, but was disappointed in the way the back of the unit is designed. It is so ackward, like the leg in the back should be shorter, or even to the frame when folded, and the way the power plug is positioned, you have to UNPLUG it everytie you move the unit. The disigner should be fired !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. guest_user wrote: January 5, 2010 4:16pm

1/5/10
    Just got my new Vaio last nite. Installed skype in just a few minutes and had the camera working right along with it. couldn’t have been any easier. Nice job Sony.

12. guest_user wrote: January 16, 2010 2:27pm

i can not find my laptop model.
    model: sonyvaio, fw590 fyb , 2.6 ghz

13. PeterF52M wrote: January 19, 2010 1:34pm

Best way to locate the exact model of the computer is to lanuch VAIO Care and the click on “VAIO Support”. You will see your full model name of the computer. 2nd best way is to open System Information and locate Model which will also display your exact model information. 3rd best option is to go to esupport.sony.com and click “Auto detect” which will detect your exact model. 4th best way is to boot into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key. The BIOS will also display your model number. Regards,
    Peter Tat. Sony Software Engineer.

14. guest_user wrote: January 28, 2010 5:50pm

I want to joint with Sony services about upgrade from Vista to Win 7. How can I do it well.

15. guest_user wrote: January 30, 2010 8:55am

I have a brand new Vaio model VGN-Z850G/B. Every time ai launch Windows7 a warning is displayed informing that “VAIO SAT Survey.exe has stopped working” – which fades after some seconds.
    Althoug is has no noticeable consequences, it is annoying to go through this every time I start my computer.
    Looking up some other blogs I found out that many people have the same problem with Vaios and no one has been able to find a solution to this.
    Can anyone help me solve this? Thank you!

16. guest_user wrote: January 30, 2010 7:53pm

Hi dearest friends!
    It is pleasure u have this site to talk about my computer. I have a Sony Vaio model VGN-NS325J and I am in trouble with UPGRADING TO Windows 7.It will expited on1/31/10, please show me the easiest way to sulve this problem.If I am honest exactly I don’t know what does it mean. there is a paper pasted and written(Offer expires 1/31/10). please tell me the importance of this label and the way of how to Upgrade windows7.
    I would be appriciated.
    Hamed

17. guest_user wrote: February 2, 2010 9:16pm

I love this machine……..Only have had it two weeks now but I like almost everything.

I switched from a 17″ screen to a 15″.6 and I like it.

What I don’t like at all is the sound system…..T E R R I B L E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battery life could be a little bit longer but 2 hours is ok I guess……

18. guest_user wrote: February 14, 2010 1:36pm

how can i get help from sony it self

19. guest_user wrote: March 22, 2010 1:53pm

Wow! it was in front of me, I didn’t even notice.
    just bought my first VAIO 3 days ago.
    Thanks a lot.

20. guest_user wrote: March 26, 2010 6:57pm

Just when finally I thought Sony might actually dissect the whole model number and reveal to us the entire structure of the model number, the post ends — with just the number on the casing below the screen.

Did this “help” from Sony bother to tell us what the alphabet letter after the number means (e.g., E is Vista Home Premium)? No.

Does esupport.sony.com bother to review its support pages to make sure that the models are listed clearly and correctly? No. Otherwise there wouldn’t be, for example, an FW190 and an FW190E page, now, would there? With models that self-identify as FW190E listed only at the FW190 site and not the FW190E! After all, this “help” page doesn’t bother to explain what the letters mean or even whether they are important, remember?

Does esupport.sony.com listen to those of us who bother to fill out the survey and ask these questions, point out inconsistencies, etc. No.

Does Sony Customer Relations bother to answer consumers when they send these sorts of unanswered questions their way? No.

The only question that Sony seems to be consistently interested in on its surveys is the one about: Would you recommend Sony? Will you buy more Sony products?

Someday Sony is going to have to wake up and realize that there is a relationship between listening to its customers — who are trying to help Sony clarify important issues on its support pages — and the expansion of its marketing base.

That day, however, has not yet arrived…but stay tuned.

21. guest_user wrote: March 27, 2010 4:58am

I need to upgrade to Windows 7. My computer is Sony VAIO model VGN-FW463J/B, service tag is R5732804, product code is 27501285 and serial no is 3107684

22. MUHAMMAD AKRAM wrote: February 27, 2013 11:17pm

Dear Sir,
    last 5 months a go i bought a “sony vaio laptop” in Qatar. Now window is not working properly i deleted and reinstalled from C.D.
    But their are some drivers are missing.When i check my laptop model the model is not available in the site so for that i need your help Thanks.

Computer Name: Sony Vaio
    Model: SVE141B11W
    Product Name: SVE14113EAW
    Serial Number: *27555961 7000218*
    Service Tag: C60ADKV5

My email: ak.nasarz@gmail.com
    Mobil No: 0092-3458360911

If you need any information so you can contact.