Not Invented Here (Almost), But that’s Okay

by Team Sony 12/14/2007

In the U.S., Sony has just added a new commercial to our series of TV spots focusing on how high-definition is part of our DNA. The latest is an adaptation from a popular series created by our colleagues in Europe for BRAVIA flat-panel LCD televisions.  It features a backdrop of the Rolling Stones singing “ She’s A Rainbow” as hundreds of colorful Play-Doh bunnies run all over the city of New York, eventually evolving into the equally colorful HDNA “molecules” that are part of our current campaign here in the States, along with the word “color” and the tagline “Like No Other.”

While the HDNA molecules and the line “Like No Other” were developed by the U.S. team, this latest spot is a sequel to a series that began a couple years ago in Europe. The first one featured thousands of rubber balls rolling down the hills of San Francisco to the tune of a new artist, Jose Gonzales, singing "HeartBeats". It was followed by another equally dramatic one based on tons of paint of all sorts of colors being splashed on skyscrapers in the city of Glasgow.

Interestingly, the spots, which can all be found at www.Bravia.Sony.eu have attracted huge attention on the Web, with millions of people viewing these commercials…not to mention the global press coverage they have received.
I tip my hat to the creative folks at the London ad agency Fallon who have been working with our advertising and television marketing people in Europe. The commercials are clever and fun, with great music scores. Check them out and let me know what you think.

1. guest_user wrote: December 15, 2007 12:30am

Is there a link to this commercial on YouTube? I saw the old colored ball commercial for Bravia, and that was amazing, but I want to see this new one.

2. guest_user wrote: December 15, 2007 4:27pm

Some of the best commercials in recent times, especially the first one. One of the few ad spots that doesn’t become annoying when you’ve seen it more than a few times.

Much better than the recent Sony commercial showcasing a lot of different HD products.

3. guest_user wrote: December 17, 2007 1:12pm

Mike,

You can view the US commercial at the links below.

The exact US commericial is on Crackle.com

To view all the european commercials go to Bravia.Sony.eu

For the video’s on YouTube, you can find many of them here.

~Blog Moderator

4. guest_user wrote: December 17, 2007 3:46pm

I loved the Paint commercial! I showed to a couple of my friends in HD and it was soo cool to see thousands of gallons of paint being blown up in a such organized manner! I was surprised it was never aired in the US. I remember being in Europe this summer and seeing it in the malls, on TV and other public areas. The color balls advert is also fun! It is interesting how the Play-Doh and Balls commercials were filmed in the US but intended for the EU market…I think current US HDNA commercials need to be spiced up some, it is missing something to really hook a potential customer up to go and check the product out. Just my 2 cents…

5. guest_user wrote: December 17, 2007 3:52pm

Will the bouncy ball and paint explosion commercials air in the US or have they already been? I would love to see that.

6. guest_user wrote: December 18, 2007 1:32am

Sony should spoof their own Bouncing Ball commercial for an Alpha campaign. Bounce the balls, but then mix in Alphas bouncing down the street with the various lenses and high lighting the stability (camera still manages while bouncing), the rugged body, the tilt sensor showing the screen rotated and so forth as they go along. And as it goes by the window of people inside watching the original commercial on their Bravia the camera snaps a shot of them watching it and it shows up on the tv they are watching view the HDMI link. So then they can be seeing the alphas bounding along on their screen with the site of them outside the window too. (Though maybe it would be best to have folks running around holding the cameras trying to shoot the balls with the camera). Through in all sorts of things, old and young using them. Big and small lenses showing the range of ability. Wireless flashes going off here and there. Show the built in GPS on the camera showing the position of the shoot (hint hint build GPS into the cameras). You could have the whole ball bouncing scene shot from around town, have people up close, but also have people on far away hills using the 300mm and with the TCs, have people with the 500mm reflex.

If Sony has 2 cheaper cameras coming and a pro level body, this could be a great superbowl commercial. Have all 4 of them in it.

Come on do, do it. Make a really fun commercial plus get your HD tie in Sony likes.

7. guest_user wrote: December 18, 2007 5:31pm

The European commercials are excellent examples of the creativity that I expect from Sony — not the bland stuff that is part of the latest US campaign. (I find it especially ironic that 2 of the commercials were filmed in the US.)

I think the HDNA concept is great! It’s just that Peyton Manning doesn’t do anything for me (and neither does Dale Jr.).

For an outstanding example of a US-produced ad, check out JC Penney’s campaign, especially the “Aviator” ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NojPi28cR5U

8. guest_user wrote: December 23, 2007 3:18pm

This is the type of commercials that we need in the States. I feel like most of the great commercials are in all the other countries, probably because of the advertising laws. I would watch it again.

9. guest_user wrote: December 26, 2007 5:32pm

Thanks for all the comments on these creative European commercials. Please be assured that they are being brought to the attention of our corporate marketing team responsible for Sony advertising in the U.S.

10. guest_user wrote: January 12, 2008 2:12am

I can’t log on http://crackle.com/ and see US commercial. Does it really bad?

11. guest_user wrote: October 14, 2008 8:55pm

I am a big fan of Sony products. Unfortunately for Sony, I’m a bigger fan of
    Soccer. Since watching the Soccer bashing ad with Peyton Manning, and
    being hurt by it, I have pledged to myself never to buy a Sony product again. I
    am telling all my Soccer loving friends about my stance too.

12. guest_user wrote: October 16, 2008 8:16pm

Hi John S.

As a soccer fan, I’m sorry if you were offended. We were trying to be a little
    humerous as we often do in our U.S. advertising.

But you should know that Sony is one of the top global FIFA sponsors and
    has recently come to a major endorsement relationship with Kaka, one of the
    world’s greatest stars on today’s soccer scene.